Start by marking “Miss Eleanor Tilney: or, The Reluctant Heroine” as Want to Read:
Miss Eleanor Tilney: or, The Reluctant Heroine

Miss Eleanor Tilney: or, The Reluctant Heroine

Eleanor Tilney is little more than a plot device in Jane Austen's tale, whose first half scintillates so brightly, but whose second half hints at the brilliance to come. This reimagining attempts to bring life, color, and a little laughter to that second half.

Eleanor gets a voice, and a romance, as we see Catherine through hers and Henry's eyes.
Published September 10th 2016 by Twelve Towers Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Eleanor Tilney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Eleanor Tilney

Sherwood Smith
Sep 13, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Written for fun, as stress relief, and to exist in the world of Northanger Abbey. All these years I wondered about Eleanor's story, so I decided to give her one.
Kristin Davison
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: austen
This is an interesting idea for a novella and I loved learning more about Henry and Eleanor, but it felt very rushed.
Margaret Sullivan
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, jaff
I enjoyed this very much! Eleanor Tilney, whom I adore, gets to be a heroine herself in this literate and charming story. And being #TeamTilney I am pleased to report that Henry Tilney is as delightful as he ought to be (and so is his charming future wife). Recommended to all those who love Northanger Abbey.
Kara
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've had this one on my TBR ever since reading Ms. Smith's Henry and Fanny a couple years ago. Don't know why it took me so long to get to it, but what fun! I LOVED getting a peek into Eleanor and Henry's minds. To watch Catherine from their point of view and figure out what it was that endeared her to them so quickly. This is a short story, but it packs a wallop of joy and loveliness in a small amount of pages. I love Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and I'm so pleased that Ms. Smith took these beloved cha ...more
Lesley
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely what I needed during an extremely tiresome railway journey today!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Such an interesting genre switch for this author, but she's fabulous at what she does, regardless.
Juliet Valcourt
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled when I found this novella because there’s so few Northanger Abbey fanfic being written (something that really needs to be remedied among Austen writers!) I loved reading about Eleanor’s background before the events of the novel. She goes to Bath around the halfway point, but the author retold the story without pulling from the text. We also get portions from Henry’s POV. Eleanor’s love story was subtle and charming. Jane Austen always ends her novels rather abruptly with a wedding ...more
Allison
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is a sad fact that there are very few JAFFs written on Northanger Abbey. As it is my favorite of Austen's novels, I am always hungry and eager for more. I especially like this tale as we get to see some of Henry Tilney's thoughts on Catherine Morland. Henry is my favorite of Austen's heroes and Sherwood Smith's depiction of him did not disappoint.
Melissa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done companion to Northanger Abbey from the perspective of Eleanor Tilney. The first part fleshes out the few hints on Eleanor's life before Northanger Abbey, while the rest covers the time period of Austen's novel, but from the viewpoint of the Tilneys.
Wendy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spin-offs, dnf
It was okay, but boorrringgg. Unlike Austen.
Tedi
I loved it all! I loved the characters and the story and I just loved it! So much fun for a different perspective!
katayoun Masoodi
Fun and delightful
Gill
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable reworking of "Northanger Abbey" from the point of view of Eleanor Tilney. The expansion of the gentleman with the washing list into a real character is done well, and if the ending is a touch ex machina it's fine in the context of the story and the horrible General. It was fun to note where key passages of the novel take place, sometimes without this heroine having any idea.

There were a few typos and some US usage which jarred in a novel so closely linked to Austen, but
Rachael Levy
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read; Lovely characters, charm and wit aplenty. If you are a fan of The Great British Bake Off, then you will want to read this book for the same lively yet steady rain of pure English countryside satisfaction that will settle into your bones. Have a pot of tea and some cakes at the ready and settle in for a read that will leave you wanting more!
Howard Brazee
If you like Jane Austen, you will like this novel which is basically fanfic written by a successful commercial author around a side character in the novel Northanger Abbey.

If you *love* Northanger Abbey, then you will love this novel.

JenWolf Studio
Lina
Oct 07, 2018
Yasko
Sep 27, 2016
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.