Start by marking “Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier” as Want to Read:
Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier

Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier

Included in Poets & Writers magazine's list of "BEST BOOKS FOR WRITERS" Good Naked shows readers how to make the writing process not only more productive, but less maddening, more inviting, and even joyful, at least a good part of the time. Author Joni B. Cole explains how sharing early drafts is "good naked" -- you're exposing your creative process in all its glory. T ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by University Press of New England

To ask other readers questions about Good Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Naked

Dave
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-creative
This is a very funny and positive how to write. Inevitably, it compares to Bird by Bird. This is more positive, funnier (BbB was funny too) and better organized. Each chapter follows a certain pattern: intro, lesson, mnemonic.

mnemonics/chapters that stick out - What a week/ kindness, Church of the Creative, See Blue, Every. Single. Day., Brutal Honesty, Reverse Curse, Happy Endings, Great Americans.

Cole recommends writing scene by scene, starting with one thing. This is a lot like writing bird
C.I. Dennis
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a writer, this book is like having a hilarious guardian angel on your shoulder, cheering you on and often making you laugh out loud. Forget the nattering devil on the other shoulder who says you're a hopeless hack. Writing, like any other endeavor that involves putting yourself out there, takes some courage. It also takes an understanding of the craft, and Cole's book teaches while it motivates and entertains. Funny, essential, personal, and wise essays that will help you write more a ...more
Kati
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: first-reads
I received this copy as a Goodreads First Read win.

I laughed out loud throughout this book, often while reading during my lunch breaks at work. Coworkers glanced over, curious, until they saw the title of the book, at which point they smiled and nodded, not needing any more explanation as to why this author had me laughing. The title here is enough to clue a reader in to the author's sense of humor.

This is not to say that the author doesn't provide some serious food for thought, or instruction i
Rose Grey
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Check out my full review on http://rosegreybooks.com/book-review-5/.
Rebecca Upjohn
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-writing
Just the encouragement I needed at the right time.
Alisonnic
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational - and practical

Joni is funny, smart, and inspiring. She had me laughing out loud every few pages, and smiling almost every page.

More importantly, Joni debunks many of the poisonous myths that have plagued the writing community for decades. As an English major in college, I had such negative experiences in creative writing classes that I didn't write again for thirty years.

Then I met Joni, and began participating in her workshops. Through her instruction, and by osmosis in the wond
Wulfwyn
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to write since I was a child in school. It seems like there was always another world going on in my head. I wrote out some stories in school. As life went on I continued to write but not sharing. I never thought I was good enough or knew enough to truly write. This book was perfect for me! I used an entire pad of sticky notes. Page after page have little pink squares on them. There is a wealth of information in between the covers. The best part? It is written so you understand and ...more
Kintala
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book extremely helpful, just from the sheer fact that the author agrees with me that outlines are pure evil. Being a panster, I've never been able to outline and if I was lucky enough to create one, then I pulled my hair out trying to coral the words from the outline onto the page. In "Good Naked" Joni B. Cole has many good tips on what has gone wrong when instances like the above happen and how a change in your perspective can help smooth over the problem. She doesn't use that many ...more
K.L. Romo
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Living a writer’s life is like being permanently strapped into a roller coaster seat. When you can pound out those words, or when you get an acceptance email, we feel a rush of excitement, and we’re so glad we write. But other times – and more times than I’d like to admit – we feel like we’re going downhill all the way. The words won’t come, or we received the dreaded “it’s not a good fit” email. Rejection. It really, really hurts.

“Try to enjoy the journey” is what we’re always told when we’re w
Phyllis
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC! ! ! Any and every woman who wants to feel a part of the Human race, on good days and bad, should read this book! Joni takes an ordinary day and makes it extraordinary! Her writing talent speaks for itself: so clear, crisp, comedic and conversational!

She is not to be missed. I laughed throughout each chapter and found myself nodding in agreement and wanting to "talk back" as in "discuss" and have a pajama party with the author! She brings out the best in us by writing with candor, auth
Shateara Davis
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This book felt more like a short autobiography to me. It was very different from the many self-help books for writers that I have read so far. While I appreciated the tips and tricks that Joni B. Cole laid out for many writers, I felt that it was lacking something. If you are looking for a how-to guide to get you out of your writing funk...this is probably not the book for you. If you are more interested in positive reinforcements in literary form- then you'll love this book!
Shannon Kitchens
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
There's a lot of information I liked in this book. Cole definitely expresses advice and criticism that I agree with. And while I think this was the right book for me at the time, I don't think I learned much from reading it. Still, I'd recommend it to the reluctant writer, or the writer in a slump.
Searching in the Forest
I heard this writer speak and it made me want to get the book so I could understand her more, what she was saying. Glad I did. Some good stuff.
Sharon
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
If you have writer's block, this book could be a great help. The book has many tips and tricks that may help authors in the middle of writing, editing, and more. Sound advice peppered with humor. What more could you want? I wish I could enjoy workshops with this author in person. She's tough and honest, just what most writers need.
Sara Tucker
Tania
Jan 10, 2019
Andrea Sand
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading Joni Cole’s latest book is like having a wise, clever and very funny friend hold your hand as you make your way down a writerly path. Yes, I know I should strike “very” from that sentence, but I can’t bring myself to do it. If you read GOOD NAKED you’ll see why.
Michele Madison
Dec 24, 2017
Chuck
Oct 12, 2018
all questions and stories welcome 1 4 Apr 07, 2017 05:57AM
Joni B. Cole is the author of the new release Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier ("Joyful, tough-minded, and heartening, these pages offer encouragement to anyone from beginners to experienced writers. Good Naked is one of the best books for writers I’ve read in a very long time."—Cynthia Huntington, National Book Award Finalist, poetry). Joni's acclaimed fi ...more