Start by marking “Seven Million: A Cop, a Priest, a Soldier for the IRA, and the Still-Unsolved Rochester Brink's Heist” as Want to Read:

On a freezing night in January 1993, masked gunmen walked through the laughably lax security at the Rochester Brink's depot, tied up the guards, and unhurriedly made off with $7.4 million in one of the FBI's top-five armored car heists in history.

Suspicion quickly fell on a retired Rochester cop working security for Brinks at the time--as well it might. Officer Tom O'Conn
Published May 2nd 2017 by ForeEdge

To ask other readers questions about Seven Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Million

Julia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down! Fascinating story about the Brink's robbery. Just when you think it couldn't get odder, it does. I may be semi-biased as a former Rochesterian, but this is a great read if you like true life crime novels or a good mystery.
Raiko
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent True Crime book! With the genre being so popular among masses now, listen to this, you have some carpetbaggers coming in copy-pasting Wikipedia articles about notable cannibals for example. A disgrace to the tastebuds. I assure you this is not the case with Seven Million. The *flow* is meticulous, the author casually conveying how many floors a building has - even when the building in question is of highly doubtful importance to the main narrative. He's done his research to a T, and ...more
Michael
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the 1993 Brinks robbery that occurred right here in Rochester. 7.4 million dollars was stolen from the Brinks depot on South Avenue. Security was very lax but it was clear that it was an inside job. Author Gary Craig does a great job in laying out the robbery and the following investigation into the connections between the robbery and members and sympathizers of the IRA in Ireland.

The book goes beyond the robbery itself and follows a connection that made little news. I had n
Matt Daneman
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Generally am not much of a true-crime reader. This, however, could make one a convert. A really interesting telling of a really interesting crime. Disclaimer: worked for years alongside the author and am friendly with him. But even divorcing myself of that, it's a fascinating read and a bizarre cast of characters. It's so frustrating that certain voices, like Tom O'Connor, the former cop who was a Brinks security person the night of the heist and may or may not have been as dirty as they come, w ...more
Thomas Czarniak
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good read for true crime lovers but even more so for people who live in Rochester, NY and can remember when the heist went down. Money, murder, and mayhem abound. Kudos to Gary Craig who has been near monomaniacal about the case and the various side stories over the last 20+ years.
Rick
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
“Seven Million” by Gary Craig was a neat true crime novel about the >$7 million heist of a Brinks facility in Rochester, New York in 1993. Craig was a reporter for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle and as such he was plugged in to the mania surrounding the heist, and the long follow up to find the guilty. Pretty neat story, and I very much liked Craig’s way of writing and reporting. He covered the heist in the newspapers and now, over twenty years later, has turned his research into an ent ...more
Tracy
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gary Craig, a colleague of mine, tells a good story. After decades of reporting about crime, he has a lot of them. He recounts them with great enthusiasm and adds lots of asides that add his own unique flavor to his tales.

He's put that skill to good use in Seven Million, a page turner about a heist of $7 million from the Brink's depot in Rochester, NY, where Gary is a reporter. The main characters are colorful - a priest, a retired cop, an IRA member and a boxer - but then there are passing con
Erik
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I live in Rochester and am old enough to remember the 1993 Brinks Depot robbery and aftermath. Maybe that is why I enjoyed this book so much. Because it is a subject and area I am experienced in, it does make reviewing the book difficult, but hopefully I am not being biased. Gary Craig wove a very compelling narrative, and the book moved quickly and I was continuously interested. The nature of the actual events does leave one feeling slightly unhappy at the end, but his epilogue I feel was well ...more
victor harris
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Score it a high 4. The cast of characters and their links to the IRA is well developed, good narrative style, and the section dealing with boxer Robbie Gibbons who was only tangential to the actual Brink's robbery is a nice finishing touch. Nice mix of robbery details (inside job?), investigative work, and forensic follow up. Enjoyable read with good pace.
Kathy Collins
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book and I enjoyed reading about all the details of what was known about the robbery and the theories regarding those responsible. Still a lot of money missing! I have my ideas on where it went but you have to draw your own conclusions after reading the info that is known

Betsy Haner
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Gary Craig has written a very concise account of the Brinks depot robbery. He has introduced us to the characters through history and ancestry that as a reader you feel connected to them all. I highly recommend this book it is a gripping story.
Donna Schwartz
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this nonfiction account of the Brink's heist which I remember from when my children were young. I enjoyed the detail about the robbery and the story of how the police and FBI tracked down where and who the culprits were.
carol
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Crazy stuff!
Maureen
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I knew nothing about this case before I picked up the book. This was a riveting story.
Leo Mccarthy
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great read.
Phylis Hopkins
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting reading a book and knowing the names of so many people in it. I remember the robbery.
Ray Martino
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gary Craig applies his excellent reportorial skills with a great ability to tell a compelling story. This book is hard to put down.
Eileen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: local, sleuths
What I liked most about Seven Million was how Craig stuck to the facts and gave us a clean narrative of the heist, its fallout, and the remaining mysteries, such as where the money went and who killed Gibbons. Some true crime writers try too hard for a noir tone and like to wax poetic about a given city's dark secrets and the play of the streetlights on the puddles as the sun sets and the hidden vices and lost people come out. I've only ever seen John Berendt pull that off.
Colin Campbell
rated it it was ok
May 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Cincinnati's Savage Seamstress: The Shocking Edythe Klumpp Murder Scandal
  • Nameless Indignities: Unraveling the Mystery of One of Illinois's Most Infamous Crimes
  • Confession of a Serial Killer: The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer
  • In Search of Sacco and Vanzetti: Double Lives, Troubled Times, and the Massachusetts Murder Case That Shook the World
  • In the Evil Day: Violence Comes to One Small Town
  • Tommy Gun Winter: Jewish Gangsters, a Preacher's Daughter, and the Trial That Shocked 1930s Boston
  • Folsom's 93: The Lives and Crimes of Folsom Prison's Executed Men
  • The Beatles: Messages from John, Paul, George and Ringo
  • How To Win Cash, Cars, Trips & More!: 2nd Edition | You Can't Win If You Don't Enter
  • How to Like Yourself: A Teen's Guide to Quieting Your Inner Critic and Building Lasting Self-Esteem
  • Good Seeds: A Menominee Indian Food Memoir
  • The Trunk Dripped Blood: Five Sensational Murder Cases of the Early 20th Century
  • U Thrive: How to Succeed in College (and Life)
  • Deck Ideas You Can Use: Stunning Designs & Fantastic Features for Your Dream Deck
  • The Essential Abolitionist: What You Need to Know about Human Trafficking & Modern Slavery
  • Expect a Miracle: A Mother's Tale of Brotherly Love, Faith and the Race That Changed a Family's Life
  • Blood in the Soil: A True Tale of Racism, Sex, and Murder in the South
  • Sexy Beasts: The True Story of the "Diamond Geezers" and the Record-Breaking $100 Million Hatton Garden Heist
Gary Craig has been a reporter for Rochester, NY newspapers since 1990, covering City Hall, politics, and federal courts. He is currently a member of the Democrat and Chronicle Watchdog Team and has won state and national awards for investigative journalism.

Gary^^Craig