Start by marking “Two Problems for Sophia” as Want to Read:
Two Problems for Sophia

Two Problems for Sophia

(Sophia #2)

Sophia quickly learns her new pet comes with two giraffe-sized problems in this sequel to One Word from Sophia.

Sophia and Noodle, her One True Desire, are together at last.

But Noodle comes with two gigantic problems, and those problems are tearing Sophia’s family apart!

Can a little creative experimenting save Noodle? Or will Sophia have to bid him adieu?
Published June 12th 2018 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Two Problems for Sophia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Problems for Sophia

Start your review of Two Problems for Sophia
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Sophia is back! I fell in love with the first installment in what is (happily) becoming a series of some of the most delightful children's picture books to hit the scenes in recent years. As with One Word From Sophia, Two Problems is ripe with rich language (and a handy dandy glossary) immediately endearing it to this word lover. Sophia is utterly adorable; both charming and plucky. This time her giraffe companion, Noodle, is causing a bit of commotion. Whimsical illustrations, rich with color a ...more
Meg
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The inside cover taught me so many giraffe facts!
Tracie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sophia is back! This time her family is tired. They can't sleep because Noodle the giraffe snores. Time to problem solve! ...more
Danielle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Charming follow up to the first Sophia book. More vocabulary, more Sophia smarts, more endearing family members, including Noodle the giraffe who snores.
Emmy Neal
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm really peeved. This book should have checked all the boxes--a cute giraffe, all female characters, STEM creative problem solving, a diverse family, but it executes it TERRIBLY with a problematic theme. How is it getting all these starred reviews?

I hate any children's book that tells a character they have to change to be loved, even if that animal is a pet, and there's no progression in this book between hating the giraffe and acceptance. The family hate Sophia's pet giraffe until she builds
Earl
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sophia is back with a big and long-necked problem- her new pet giraffe Noodle. She must use all her problem solving skills and imagination and ingenuity to come up with a solution to make keeping Noodle not a hindrance to her and her family.
Rebecca Ann
There is something irresistible about noodle the slobbery giraffe! I love the art in this story so much! Averbeck effortlessly weaves together an inspiring tale of a little girl solving problems through science and some pretty awesome vocabulary in a fun tale!
Brandy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sophia has to figure out how to fix her Giraffe's snoring problem before the family send him back home. ...more
Kelly
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great picture books for elementary aged kids; teaches some vocabulary words along the way; illustrations rock. Grand-mama is the best!
Lisa Yee Swope
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do you do to endear your pet giraffe to your family when said giraffe snores like to wake the dead? Sophia, fortunately, is a problem-solver par excellence.
Stephanie
Omg, so excited to have more Sophia! Not only is Sophia a skilled negotiator (as we know from the previous book), she is a gifted engineer as well. Pair this with Ada Twist, Scientist!
Ms Threlkeld
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun follow up to One Word from Sophia about creativity and perseverance.
Kathryn (Dragon Bite Books)
Review originally posted on my blog, Nine Pages .

There was a lot to love in this story about Sophia, her pet giraffe Noodle, and the problems that Noodle causes for Sophia’s multi-generational, interracial family, in which each character has a pretty stunningly unique voice for characters in a picture book. It opens with Sophia being “happysad” which I love because it acknowledges an oft-felt but not oft-acknowledged emotion. Noodle snores, and Noodle’s kisses with his long, blue tongue are s
Patricia N. McLaughlin
Oct 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
A big mess—from the sloppy illustrations to the jumble of words to the haphazard plot that uses a hapless giraffe as a pet, a punchline, and a lab animal for torturous experiments. Sophia’s so-called solution is completely inappropriate for a species that never sleeps lying down and does not snore. Why include the Giraffacts in the front endpaper and flyleaf only to contradict them in the story? Kudos for the multicultural family and protagonist.
Elizabeth Green
I didn’t read the frist book. That being said you don’t need to read the first book in order to enjoy this one.

I loved the illustrations and the representation of women in STEM fields. I enjoyed the creativy, persistence, and love Sophia has.

The author tried to implement higher level vocabulary words. This came across as forced and awkward and really took away from my personal enjoyment of the story. The vocabulary words also didn’t seem age apropate it for the targeted demographic.
Christy
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mr. McGinty and his dog Sophie love checking in on the monarch caterpillars and butterflies on their summer walks. But one day Mr. McGinty is shocked to find that all the milkweed in town has been mowed down! And monarch caterpillars, he explains, can't survive without milkweed. Can Mr. McGinty come up with a plan to save the monarchs? This is a tale that is informative, a call to action, and a sweet story time pick ...more
Sheri
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A child with a giraffe pet is highly unusual but Sophia thinks Noodle is worth keeping. The whole family votes for a permanent solution to his snoring or out he goes. Sophia must work to find a way to keep Noodle. And I was smiling at the solution and the way she solved her problem after much experimentation. Good story for problem solving and the scientific method,
Kathy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how Sophia faces a problem (her giant giraffe snores), and doesn't give up even when her first tries are unsuccessful. Give this to someone who won't try because they're a perfectionist, or to a budding scientist/engineer. Kudos to the illustrator for making this scientific protagonist an African American little girl in a mixed race family. ...more
Kim Harnes
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found myself not enjoying this quite as much as the first one. The story was adorable, but I have to admit I was a little creeped out by some of the illustrations (namely the shirtless, hairy dad). I do, however, realize that I am an adult reading a picture book, and the target age group might think differently. :)
Michelle Normand
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really like Sophia and her problem solving skills. Lots to like about this book; I just felt some of the vocabulary was heavy handed. A good read for older kids and would pair well with Ada Twist Scientist.
Riah
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This book is so cute! It’s about a little black girl and her pet giraffe. She needs to science up a solution to his snoring so her family can sleep. I love the way adult vocabulary is used in a kid friendly way and how this normalizes CPAP machines for kids.
Angela
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Sophia loves her giraffe, the rest of the family not so much! Living with a giraffe brings a unique set of problems but when you add yucky, sloppy kisses and tuba-like snoring to the equation, well then the giraffe just has to go! Can Sophia find a way for them to all live happily ever after?
Celest
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, educational, and great illustrations. My 1 year okd enjoyed the story, but it is written in such a way that all ages will get something new from the book. I especially liked the fact sheet about giraffes at the beginning.
Erin
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Cute follow up to the first Sophia book, but I thought it was sad that the family wanted to get rid of the giraffe when he snored and disrupted their sleep, but he became someone the family couldn’t live without when the snoring stopped.
Kelly
I didn't like this story, and I wasn't a fan of the illustrations. No reason...just didn't reach out to me. ...more
JoEllen
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this for word choice/word study and more. Yay for more Sophia!
Alice
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Sophia's persistence as she tries to solve two very important problems. ...more
Heather
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-ideas
Spectacular picture book for older kids that teaches vocabulary, problem-solving and ingenuity, and vocabulary all at once! What's not to love?! Perfect read aloud for ages 5-8. ...more
Ann Santori
Silly and whimsical . . . Sophia's pet giraffe has a snoring problem that she must use her scientific savvy to solve! Nice use of a multi-racial, multi-generational family unit. ...more
Chloe
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sophia has a great family, I love it.

• Giraffe Problems
  • Outside In
  • The Book Hog
  • Little Brothers & Little Sisters
  • Here and Now
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio, a beautiful city built, like Rome, on seven hills-wooded hills of oak, walnut, and maple where I and my childhood imagination ran wild.

I enjoy throwing myself into situations which give me an opportunity to explore and grow. I joined the Peace Corps in my late twenties and went to live in Cameroon in western Africa for almost four years.

Sophia (2 books)