Start by marking “The Gospel According to Job” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Job

The Gospel According to Job

Anyone who has suffered knows that there is no such thing as "getting a grip on oneself" or "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. The only bootstrap in the Christian life is the Cross," says Mason. "Sometimes laying hold of the cross can be comforting, but other times it is like picking up a snake."

Job knew this firsthand. From him we learn that there are no easy answers
Published October 3rd 2002 by Crossway Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Job

Start your review of The Gospel According to Job
Paul Dubuc
Reading Mike Mason's book, The Gospel According to Job, along with the biblical book of Job has been quite an experience for me. When the book of Job came up again recently in the devotional calendar that I use, my reaction was, "Not again?! Didn't I read this during Lent?" But something told me that it was important to read it then. Mason's book was already sitting unread on my shelf so I decided to read through Job a chapter a day along with this book. I'm glad I did.

The Gospel According to Jo
Vanessa
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent expository
Cassie Kelley
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever suffered at all in this life, you know that it’s hard. And you also know that pasting a false smile on your face is, in the opinions of many, many people, the “Christian” thing to do. But is it? Would God really tell people to just smile through the pain?

If you think the answer is “yes” then you need to sit down with this book and take a good, long look at the book of Job, a man who truly suffered. With chapters small enough for a daily reading, this book takes a hard look at su
Mary
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Job, likely one of the oldest books in the Bible collection also deals with the oldest problems thinking people have with God. Mason, already a gifted writer (The Gift of Marriage) has tackled a life work with this one. I love the format: short and meaty chapters tracking key issues as Mason covers the epic thought by thought. I marked all through my copy and highly recommend.
Larrycathysmile
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New perspective

New perspective to look at the book, why, what, how and what. It helps know what happened and how God allowed it happen. Encouraging especially for those who are going through trials. God does not change. How He dealt with Job and others will be something we can pray about as well.
Philip
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is neither a pure devotional book nor purely a commentary. It falls somewhere in between leaning towards devotional.

I could not read it as a devotional book because it was just too good. I read one mini chapter/devotional after the other.
Monk
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had come across a new translation of Job, and I started browsing books on Job, which got me in the mood to read the book in the Bible, and I thought it would be nice to have an accompanying book that discusses Job from beginning to end, and this one by Mike Mason fit the bill, and it didn't disappoint. The commentary can be repetitious, but that may not be out of place in spiritual works, as one is not looking for a page-turner, but for food for the soul, and one may want some of the big, subl ...more
Lisa
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love to study the Bible
Mason has set this book up as a devotional, and it makes a very good one, but it is so much more. I loved his insights into Job and the gospel and life. I found myself wanting to share certain devotionals (each one is two pages and discusses topically a point made in the Book of Job from start to end) with friends and family. I could not limit myself to one section a day, but would usually read about 3 each day, and sometimes go back and mull over ones that really made me think. I would definite ...more
Roger Feenstra
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a great time of struggle in my life, I read this book. I was encouraged by nearly every page. The book is broken up into short devotionals--some of them reached out and grabbed me and from the Scripture I was comforted. We may tend to think that reading Job is a 'downer', but no, it is God's Word and it is profitable for us in our time of need.
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotionals
I've been reading this book slowly for months now as a devotional (I'm about halfway through it - it's worth a longer more intentional pace). I would highly recommend it, especially for anyone going through a particularly difficult time. It has tremendous insight into the book of Job and makes it relevant for your life today.
Gabrielle
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
An open and honest look at Christianity and pain, through the life of Job. It takes some time to read, but in doing so it's easier to take in some of the valuable things that are in this book. Mike Mason doesn't skirt around some of the difficult questions and moments in life. The book doesn't have all the answers, but it isn't afraid to ask the questions. I learned a lot from reading it.
Keith
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If pain is your game and discouragement is your mantra, you need to read this book. Written by somebody who's been there and as well as an evaluation about THE person who's been there, pain is personified, defined and comfortingly covered. Even if you think you know Job, read this and find out what you don't know about yourself in the midst of your suffering.
Adam
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you see the Gospel of Christ in a whole new light. It took me about 2 years to get through, but was an awesome devotional and I learned things about Jesus and Job I probably never would have known.
wes Goertzen
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thought
this is really the best devotional/meditation readings i've ever come across. Also probably on my list of favorite books ever.

Mason's a good writer and a theologian. One doesn't always find the two mix. Also Job is one of the great undervalued books of the OT.
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
This is a very solid and also very extensive commentary on the book of Job. It goes passage by passage, but the passages are often small (often only a verse or two per chapter) and this is a pretty long book (450 pages). But, if you're looking to invest some time in Job, this is a great book.
RF
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: someone battered why the hard "why" questions.
This book is so relevant when one is wrestling with why bad things happen to good people. Honest, intense, deep... a good companion book when you are feeling battered by questions without easy answers, or answers at all, sometimes!
Jeff Vankooten
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Each chapter is a challenge of great insight
Buddy Eades
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Uncomfortable at times but that's what the gospel does when walking through pain! I refer to this book often
Steve Mayall
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I felt I understood the book of Job for the very first time after reading this book.
Josiah
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best devotional I've ever read. Very insightful study on suffering and doubt.
Tim Hayes
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Good devotion for helping some one get through the dark times of life
Buddy Draper
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved using this as a resource for our devotional series at the Academy.
Betsy Duffey
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book by a deep thinker. I enjoyed reading this book in my morning devotional time.
Derek
Jun 26, 2017
Cyndi
Jun 20, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Job (Holman Old Testament Commentary Volume 10)
  • Lament for a Son
  • A Grief Observed
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • Autumn
  • How to Ruin Everything: Essays
  • Howl and Other Poems
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002
  • Grief: Walking with Jesus (31-Day Devotionals for Life)
Mike Mason is the best-selling, award-winning author of The Blue Umbrella, The Mystery of Marriage, The Gospel According to Job, Champagne for the Soul, Twenty-One Candles, and many others. He has an M.A. in English and has studied theology at Regent College. He lives in Langley, BC, Canada, with his wife.