Start by marking “Ghost Ship” as Want to Read:
Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  435 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
A contemporary, wholly original, spine-tingling ghost story born from pirate legend--think Pirates of the Caribbean meets Nancy Drew!

Vicki plans to spend her summer vacation waitressing at her father's seaside restaurant, Ye Olde Seashell Room, a must-see tourist destination with seashell-covered walls and a two-hundred-and-thirty-year old figurehead from a lost ship, the
Published March 1st 2005 by Scholastic Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Ship

Cambree Finlinson
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not many books can match Dietlof Reiche's perfect blend of mystery, history, and adventure in his novel "Ghost Ship". This was the most exciting historical fiction that I have ever read. I normally tend to stay away from this genre because I find it quite boring, but I did enjoy everything that the 313 pages of "Ghost Ship" had to offer. This novel started off by talking about the carving of a figurehead, a figure that most often resembles a women or mermaid. Seamen believed that figureheads sy ...more
Aug 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring-books
Terrible terrible writing; nothing is descriptive and events fly by too fast. Characters are not stable and are not introduced very well.
Tori
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Michael Dea
The book “Ghost Ship” by Dietlof Reiche I originally read when I was in middle school, when I was the rough age of the characters of the book. When I read it then, I thought it was a fairly entertaining story, enjoying the level of mystery and the storyline. After reading it a second time, several years later, I still found it interesting, but I could better see the literary devices that Reiche used, and what actually went into creating the story.
Ghost Ship is the story of how an 18th century
Books4m
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I never read ghost stories and truth be told I had no idea this was one. The back just gave the impression of a good mystery, but this book was wonderful. Hard to put down and full of the history that I so enjoy in a book. The ghost mystery was well thought out and in the end the author answered every question I asked. I cant tell you how important good writing is when you are writing a ghost story told to detailed and you just scare the readers with no depth but to loosly written and the my ...more
Bella
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is still one of my favorite books. Every time I would decided that it's time to stop reading and go out or go to bed something new would hook me in and I would fall for it all over again. Definitely an amazing book!
Nik
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es fühlt sich so an, als hätte ich eine alte Schuld beglichen. Über 12 Jahre lag das Buch jetzt in der hintersten Ecke eines Bücherregales, ein lang vergessenes Geschenk. Dem Alter der Zielgruppe bin ich längst entwachsen, trotzdem wollte ich es endlich lesen. Für die Altersgruppe 10 - 14 ist es m.E. geeignet, allerdings mit ca. 317 Seiten für die recht vorhersehbaren Wendungen und den etwas flachen Spannungsbogen ein gutes Stück zu lang. Jetzt kann ich es abee beruhigt in andere Hände geben.
Serendipity Reviews
Two things attracted me to this book when I saw it. Firstly the cover, it just looks so ghostly and chilling, I couldn't resist. Secondly, the idea of a bay drying up and an eighteenth century ship appearing adrift in the bay. What a fabulously original story line. I was completely intrigued by this book and couldn't wait to read it.

I actually took this one on holiday with me, as it appealed to my holiday mood - set in a seaside tourist area revolving around tales from the past.

I have to be hon
Adara Pung
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghost Ship, by Dietlof Reiche, was a okay book. The setting is in the mid-atlantic states of the U.S, near a shoreline. The main character, Vicki, works at her father’s restaurant during the summer and weekends. She always wonders about the mystery of the Sea Goddess, a figure head that’s always hung in the restaurant. One day, she finds a picture of a hanged sailor, and then the bay dries up. Many people are interested, but Vicki wants, no, needs to find out the secrets first. It took a while t ...more
Sarah Sammis
Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche is a young adult mystery with paranormal themes. Vikki plans to spend her summer waiting tables in her parents' restaurant, a must see stop in their seaside village. A summertime friendship with boy visiting the town with his parents and the mayor's renewed interest in the figurehead that sits in prominent display in the restaurant sparks a series of events that forces the village to relive the events that brought the figurehead to shore.

The book has some fantastic m
Jenn
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm really liking this book now. My sister let me go through her books at school and told me take a few that caught my interest. She teaches 7th grade English and 9th grade AP English.
So far I'm liking it. At the beginning it talks about it is the year 1772 and how Jacob Adams creates figureheads for ships. Work is hard to come by and finally a client comes in and asks for a figurehead for this ship. Some how Jacob knew exactly what kind of figurehead was meant to be for the mans ship. So he ma
El Templo
El mar que baña la costa de un pueblecito del norte de Europa ha retrocedido millas y, como por arte de magia, un buque del siglo XVIII ha aparecido encallado en perfectas condiciones donde la gente solía bañarse. Entre los curiosos que se acercan a contemplar este extraño acontecimiento se encuentran la joven Lena, hija del chef del Salón de los Moluscos (un restaurante bastante conocido de la zona), y Félix, un chico de su edad que veranea con sus padres en el pueblo.

El barco aparecido es el B
Matthew Xiong
Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche. The book overall was interesting and kept my attention while reading it. I liked it since it first introduced the characters that later were given an important role. Based on where the story takes place it seems to take place in a beach city or like New Orleans. The main characters in the book were named Vicky and Peter. The main conflict of this book was to stop some kind of curse on the crew of the ship named the Storm Goddess the curse was like a version of hell ...more
Rene
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
9/25/08
1. My goal for this week was to get to page 250.
2. This week I read 44 pages (211-255)

3. Vicki is a very adventureous teen who has an interest in ships. She has a particular interest in the figurehead of the vessel named the "Storm Goddess". And once she has a goal for herself she meets it.

4. My goal for next week is to get to Part Three of the book.

9/18/08
1. My goal this week was to get to page 200.
2. This week I read 48 pages (162-210)

3. The setting of this book is in city with a beach
Christina Piper
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite. The storyline is too much like Pirates of the Caribbean (which some people find a plus, but I didn't). The writing is uneven in that it felt like the author couldn't decide which age group he was writing for. The main characters are not believable: the main character, Vicki, is 12, but works as a waitress in her dad's restaurant, and the other adults in the react to her as if she's in charge--or they have figurative villain mustaches based on the descriptions of their behavior.

W
Megan M.
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was an okay book. I read it a long time ago, probably in the summer or something. I had a hard time finding this book on goodreads because this isn't the exact cover of the book in the library...in case you're wondering. It's about a mystery in the town about a sinking ship. One night, part of the bay gets dried up and there sits a pirate ship...maybe full of treasure?? They explore and find out.
Sally
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was about a girl named Vicky and her friend that is a boy. They found a ship that keep on appearing on the shore of the beach. And they figure out that it was a ghost ship. They soon were in adventure and they had to slove a mystery of the lost doubloons and also the lost crewe. But not so fast someone was after the
doubloons to and at the very end they found the doubloons and caught the crimmal!
Terrorofthehighseascalledfred
I learned never to read scary books near bedtime. It's very creepy. For example, when the Storm Goddess -- which is the Ghost Ship -- suddenly appeared. On board the ship, there were some mutineers and they fought a battle, I don't know why, but they were doomed to fight that battle every night. All the descriptions of the battle were creepy.
Tiffany
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who luv adventure!
i luv the characters. especially vicky!!!!!!! to my friend michelle!!!!! =P + my friends at Faria and at other schools in the future. especially valene, binti, yeona, monique, and of course i cant leave out linda! ur all my very good friends. i forgot vidya and sahana. (cindy) not the cindy at faria!
Pandora
Oct 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The book would have been better if it had been shorter. It was trying to be creepy but the length of the book made it hard to maintain the scare and slowed the pace of action. The book also has a basic logic flaw. The Mayor is suppose to be a descedent of the Captain. But, the Captain is an orphan and died with no children. So, where did the Mayor come from?
Breena
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 22 month old pulled this off the shelf and I thought it looked good so I read it. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the adventure and particularly the ending. Endings are important! It was a light read but intriguing.
Patricia
Not a huge fan. The story was okay sounding, but the writing (or maybe the translation) was very stilted and I felt like the story jumped over parts. The dialogue did not seem believable to me - I just couldn't get into the story.
Viv
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend recommended it to me and I read it over winter break. The description was amazing and I could "see" the events play out in my mind. The suspense was thrilling and when I read the part about the truth of the ship, I really felt spooked.
Heather
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
It was alright. Slow at times and the only reason I kept going was to find out what happened to the gold. It was long and not very intriguing. I can see this being hard to keep a young adult interested since it is for YA readers.
Brian
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its good
Alexander The Great
This book is the best ghost story that I have ever read.
Rocy Carrillo
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leído en 2007
Releyendo en 2013.
Puertoricanboi
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries
this book was cool about a bay goes dry and a mysterious ship appears in the bay and is scaring the whole town
Nina
I liked this book when I was little. It was a pretty good adventure book that didn't have to go out of it's way to make it fun to read. It gives you lots of questions as you go through the book.
  • Fat Chance
  • The Amethyst Child
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • griEVE
  • Hamlet
  • Into the Woods (Eden sisters, #1)
  • In Ecstasy
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • Missing Abby
  • Girl Underground
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • Big Fat Manifesto
  • Taurus Eyes (Star Crossed, #2)
  • The Bridge
  • Second Sight
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Frangipani Hotel: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99