Start by marking “This Vast Land” as Want to Read:
This Vast Land

This Vast Land

< b>A New York Times Bestselling Author< /b>< P>In a story muscled with truth and imagination, Stephen E. Ambrose (1936-2002) recounts the epoch-making 1803 expedition of Lewis and Clark through the words of a young man. Finding foes and friends among Natives, surviving sickness and hunger, choosing between a woman and the life he left behind, George Shannon grows up as th ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 287 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about This Vast Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Vast Land

Start your review of This Vast Land
Patrick Peterson
24 Feb. 2020 - I read this just before &/or while our young family took a driving trip to Idaho and Montana. It was so cool to visit some of the actual locations described in the book.

The book is a very enjoyable fictional account of one young man's Journal as part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Ambrose was pretty infatuated with that expedition, so I bet much of the detail of the book was his recounting what he knew about it from the Lewis and Clark accounts, as well as other research he ha
Patrick
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
p.185 Drewyer tells me not to worry about those things I cannot effect, of course this is the best advice, except that it is impossible to carry out.
p.285 Whatever the difficulty, the inventiveness of man can overcome.

The last published novel by Mr. Ambrose is an adventure piece of historical fiction about the Lewis and Clark expedition. A quick read and a recommended story for anyone who wants to know more about the famed Lewis and Clark expedition.

At its heart, the novel is a coming-of-age tal
Tim  Franks
This was a fun historical fiction read that gives a perspective of what it would have been like to travel with Lewis and Clark across the Louisiana Purchase and beyond. Lots of interesting stuff here, engaging read for sure. Beware that there is a little bit of adult content sprinkled throughout.
Becca Kostick
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Written completely in journal form, this is a tale about the travels of Captain Lewis and Clark. Although it is unclear, it is easy to believe that this journal is written by the one and only Clark. Throughout this story, the tales go on about what happens on the journey, telling about how the man who is keeping the journal has had to persuade Lewis to let him accompany him and his party on their trip to St. Louis and then to the Missouri River. It took the man six weeks to do so, but he finally ...more
Monzeki
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, the book seemed slow to me, but they may have been by design. As soon as the expedition got on their way, it did pick up. While fiction, it certainly didn't feel as such, which is all thanks to Ambrose's imagination. The story is written as dairy entries so there are parts that you have to fill in which allows you to feel part of the story.

I did enjoy this book, however, it's not perfect. I'm not going go get into the historical accuracies issue. This is fiction though it does
Cat.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is ostensibly a Young Adult novel, but one of those very frustrating ones which could (should?) be read by adults, and certainly won't be understood by most 12-year-olds. The writing is fairly historically accurate--with one jarring "go for it" towards the beginning being a bit...odd--and the author intentionally misspells and misnames places as a young, relatively uneducated man might have done. As he gets older and more learned, for instance, his spelling of Saskatchewan changes.

The stor
Clay Kirby
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book was very interesting. This was a Journal of the Lewis and Clark expedition to the Pacific Ocean. I learned a lot about the journey from minor details which cannot be explained in a museum or history classroom. For instance the living conditions were much harsher than I would have expected them to be. I've also always been under the impression that all Indians were thieves that killed every white man that crossed their paths, but in this journal I've come to realize that is ...more
Matthew
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ambrose does the best historical narrative on the market today. Originally written as a book for teen readers I would recommend it to older youth. I learned more about the Lewis and Clark expedition but particularly enjoyed the commentary on the return of the Corps of Discovery and the notes on the life of Sacajawea.
Jenny
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, teen
Ficitonalized diary of George Shannon, the youngest memeber of the Lewis and Clark expedtion. Shannon has many adventures on the trip, developing from an greenhorn into an accomplished hunter and tracker. However, he fears the changes the wilderness is making, he is more savage, less 'civilized'. He must choose which world to live in.
John
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy how Ambrose uses facts to tell the story. Lots of interesting detail.
Jane Gehr
Interesting fictional journal of the Lewis and Clark expedition, intended for young adult readers. Gave a nice overview of the expedition and made me curious to read the actual journals.
Terri
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. Easy and interesting read. Well be recommending this to my young adult history lovers.
Rondi

• Winged Victory
  • The Journals of Lewis and Clark
  • Winged Warfare
  • A Dangerous Lady
  • Beyond Innocence (Beyond Duet, #1)
  • Beyond Seduction (Beyond Duet, #2)
  • Selected Stories of Bret Harte
  • The Luck of Roaring Camp
  • .44
  • Snow-Bound at Eagle's
  • The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight
  • The Chateau (The Original Sinners, #8.4)
  • The Message of Blood (Thomas Berrington #8)
  • Big Sky
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In his final years he faced charges of plagiarism for his books, with subsequent concerns about his research emerging after his death.