Start by marking “The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)

The New Girl

(Fear Street #1)

Welcome to Fear Street.

Dont listen to the stories they tell you about Fear Street. Wouldnt you rather explore it yourselfand see if its dark terrors and unexplained mysteries are true? Youre not afraid, are you?

Dying for a Kiss

Shes pale as a ghost, blond, and eerily beautifuland she seems to need him as much as he wants her. Cory Brooks hungers for Anna Corwins kisses,
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published June 1989 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The New Girl, please sign up.
Willa Taylor Are you asking how to open the book from this page? This website doesn't give out free books, its just a place you can rate them on. You have to find…moreAre you asking how to open the book from this page? This website doesn't give out free books, its just a place you can rate them on. You have to find them elsewhere. (less)
Jennifer Maloney Well first you have to get the book. Try your local library or thrift shop.…moreWell first you have to get the book. Try your local library or thrift shop. (less)

Start your review of The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
Obsidian
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I at one point owned about every Fear Street book by R.L. Stine when I was a teen. I even had those special edition ones too. I don't even remember this first book and the title kept throwing me off (it's bad, no?) and at least this was short though (180 pages) so there's a reason the plot and character development was so bad.

Everyone in the town of Shadyside knows about Fear Street. A mad millionaire named Simon Fear once lived there and his burned out mansion is all that is left of him and his
DeTerrius Woods
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm Back In Love

It's been some years since I have read the "Fear Street" series. I used to read them every chance I get, with every book that I could get my hands on. You couldn't pay me to put the books down. Everywhere I went, the books followed. Lately (I'm 23 now), I've been having the urge to re-read the series and also read the books I never got a chance to, and I'm glad I did. My love for this best-selling series have rekindled. This book started off slow, but when it picked up, it didn't
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
Picture it. Central California. Summer 1990.
Me, sitting by the 8 ft. kiddie pool, nose in book, bendy straw in kool-aid. Full of suspense and teenage romance, I read every Fear Street book I could get my hand on for three years! (Shout out to Tulare County Library) I, like many pre-teens, was so ready to hurry and grow up. Little did we know how overrated adulting actually is.

In this first installment of the Fear Street series, we are introduced to Cory, the star high school gymnast, and Anna, a
Annie
This book was about a boy named Cory, who lives in Shadyside and goes to Shadyside High. He sees a pretty girl, who's as pale as a ghost, named Anna. He is soon attracted to her and wants her. As soon as he meets her, Anna disappears. The only thing Cory knows about Anna is that she lives on Fear Street, a street that's spooky and a little haunted. After her disapperance, Cory channges because he could not stop thinking about her, losing a lot of sleep, and leaving his friends to look for her. ...more
Mehsi
A brand-new girl has arrived and Cory is totally head over heels when he sees her the first time.

I had to read a book for a challenge on my group and after some digging through the pages of my partner I stumbled upon this book. I was definitely interested as my mood at the moment is very much into horror/thriller. Plus, Fear Street! While it is a bit hit and miss at times I do love Shadyside and Fear Street.

Before I get what I did enjoy lets start with what I didnt to have that out of the way. I
Grace
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First outing for our "Trash Teen Horror" book club and what a way to begin. Why yes these books can certainly be amusing as an adult. Sure the twist was fairly telegraphed, but I still enjoyed the journey to the ending. 3.5 stars
Latasha
Oh Brad

I read these books when I was a preteen & early teenage years. I decided to re-read the Fear Street series. Oh Brad. I hope you get smarter. I really do.
Vicki
I have to be honest and say that IF I ever read any of R.L. Stine books before, I don't remember them so I doubt I have. I needed a horror book and thought why not?

The story is really cute, although not to "complicated" and intricately woven for adults. But it's a fun and quick read and I can see why young people love his books. In this story, Cory is a teenager who eyes Anna and she piques his immediate interest. She's like an enigma to him. And there are reasons she is kind of a mystery to him
Evelyn Medina
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was SO FREAKIN GOOD!

I was so engrossed from the very first page and I couldnt put it down! I finished in one sitting! Obviously not hard to do as its only 168 pages but man oh man those 168 pages were FUN! Stine did such a good job of setting up this new girl in school to be mysterious and alluring, slowly revealing her secret that may or may not be true. Once we find out what that secret was, I found myself still questioning and still wanting answers! I kind of predicted the twist as I
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Oh my gods, the first Fear Street book ever and I finally read it!

Charlie

So, we have Cory who is f*cking insane because after seeing Anna in passing, he pretty much becomes obsessed with her. Were talking about a 5 second glance, maybe less. Ugh. Anyway, he soon begins to wonder if Anna is even real because she is just so elusive and mysterious. But he just has to find out everything about her because, obsessed.

dramatic eyeroll

I could smell the instalove from miles away... ugh! Corys
Cindy
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like to read scary books
Ken
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up with Goosebumps and Point Horror, its slightly strange that Ive not read a Fear Street book before.
With plans for a forthcoming movie trilogy and being a sucker for anything horror, so I decided to give this first one a read.

Set in the fictional city of Shadyside. Were introduced to Corey Brooks, a teenager attending the local high school. When new girl Anna Corwin catches hes eye, Corey soon becomes infatuated with her.
He learns that shes moved into Fear Street, a creepy part of
Jennifer Brown
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've missed reading the Fear Street novels. I devoured them when I was younger! When I saw that they were re-released, I knew I had to read them again. This one wasn't as scary as I remembered them to be. I think my imagination makes the books worse! Can't wait to read more of them!
Cecilee
Your boy is dumb and thirsty.
Pooja Banga
Oh my god!!!! This was just insane..

I was literally laughing all through this book ..I don't know what has happened to horror stories ..No horror at all ..

This series by the author was really boring and disappointing for me. There was no element of horror ..It can be just called thriller or mystery ..That's it ..

I am big fan of Stine's writing but I was totally disappointed with this ..

I don't know what he had in mind while writing this...

Humble request to all the authors do mention the genre
Kory Shrum
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 for me.
Jacquelyn Simon
This series is so nostalgic for me! Every once in a while I love picking up a Fear Street novel and emerging myself in the oddities that hide in Fear Street. These are short novels that always have a mini cliffhanger at the end of each chapter, just tempting you to read more. I find myself thinking about this series every year around the time Im desperately wanting it to be Fall and to satisfy my craving for a little spook. What better way than starting with the book that started it all, the ...more
Marija
The problem with this series in general is that sometimes the characters are behaving so stupidly. For example, someone threatens your life over the telephone and the idea to tell your parents never crosses your mind. C'mon how stupid can you be?

Then another character creates even more problems by not talking to people. If they only said "Look, you can't do that and go there because..." half of the problem wouldn't even exist.

Also, there is one thing that is not adding up. (view spoiler)
Cassi
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely atmospheric and a decent mystery but oh these characters are terrible. Terrible and lucky.
Tasha-Lynn
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I have ever hated a main character as much as I did this kid. Jeeze...
Whitney
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable!
itchy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
i guess i got a newer edition, with ipods and lotr dvds

p41: then the motor had kicked over and he had sped away, his hands gripping the wheel as if it were a lifesaver in a storm-tossed ocean.

plus a few ocrs
Nikky3
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These books were forbiden to me as a kid and teen, so of course I wanted yo read them now! But... they just seem a little to dated for me. :(
Ayacchi
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me crazy. I became bad mood because of this. I didnt know guy could be so dumb when falling in love with a very beautiful girl (no offense). I hate Cory 😂
Donna
The book turned out to be not nearly as sinister as the blurb intones but it had its creeptastic moments all the same. Stine knows how to build suspense and keep the reader hanging as the plot moves along. Really, it's no wonder he's been putting out books for so long. He doesn't have an underlying evil about his writing like Stephen King does but it's spooky. It does the trick if you happen to be young and reading it in the dark. It gets under your skin just enough that you turn the light on an ...more
xokaebee
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
R.L. Stine's first Fear Street sets the bar pretty high for not only all Fear Street books but for all other thriller books to follow it. Ann is the new girl girl at Cory's school. She is unlike any other girl Cory has ever seen. From the moment that Cory sees Anna, he becomes obsessed, unable to think about anything but her. When Anna starts to show interest in Cory, Cory cannot believe it... little does he know he is putting himself and his loved ones in danger... Is Anna real? Is she a ...more
Shannon
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Oh my god, Cory was one of the dumbest protagonists Ive ever seen. This guy was oblivious to everything going on around him and he ignored red flag after red flag. I still dont even understand why Cory was so obsessed with Anna either. I guess because she was pretty? He saw her once from afar and maybe said hi in the hallway to her before she ran off all dramatically. Next thing I knew, he was finding out her number and address from the phone operator and showing up at her house in the middle of ...more
Kelly Hager
Bonus star for the fact that it's a Fear Street novel.

I was a huge fan of the Fear Street books as a kid, but I'm pretty sure I missed this one.

This is actually the first ever Fear Street novel, and we spend most of the book thinking that it's a ghost story. (Spoiler: it is not.)

I really wanted to love this book but honestly, it was a struggle to even like it. Yes, it's the first Fear Street novel, but honestly, his books got so much better and so much spookier. (That would not be hard to do.)

Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
YAmpires Book Club: Chs 1- 5 4 8 Jun 13, 2015 04:45PM
Genre and Topic 3 11 Mar 24, 2013 08:19PM
Fear Street series 5 22 Jan 11, 2013 04:19PM

• Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)
  • Slumber Party
  • Prom Dress
  • The Perfume
  • The Silent Scream (Nightmare Hall, #1)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • The Return (Remember Me, #2)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Spellbound
  • The Eternal Enemy
  • Funhouse
  • Weekend
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • The Midnight Club
  • Baby-Sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #1)
  • Chain Letter (Chain Letter, #1)
  • Overdue
  • Bury Me Deep

R. L. Stine

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)
  • The Fire Game (Fear Street, #11)