Start by marking “From Difficult to Delightful in Just 30 Days: How to Improve the Behavior of Your Spirited Child” as Want to Read:

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Offers an approach to parenting spirited, willful, and ADHD kids. This book outlines a systematic approach to quelling bad behaviors through praise and rewards and efficient uses of time-out.
Published May 17th 2006 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published May 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about From Difficult to Delightful in Just 30 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Difficult to Delightful in Just 30 Days

Marissa Morrison
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most of this book consists of justifications for why parents should be reading it, including case histories of families who saw Azerrad for therapy. In the midst of all this filler, there are a few pages of concise instruction on how to effect positive change by rewarding good behavior.

When the child's behavior is inappropriate, Azerrad recommends saying, "We don't scream and shout/We don't use those words," etc., and giving a short time out. He advises putting the child in a chair facing a wal
Shannon Cavey
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is well-worth the read. I really enjoyed reading the case studies and didn't consider them "filler" (as another reviewer put it) at all.
It's so obvious, yet so seldom pointed out, that the one commonality of poor behaviour is that the child isn't getting her way. Instead of providing multiple scenarios, and a different strategy to deal with each (based on what you might guess your child is thinking or feeling at that moment), the author offers one simple strategy to handle it all.
The f
Melanie
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was very impressed with this book. I usually cannot get through one of these kinds of books. But this one really had me hooked. I'm working on his advice right now. Some things are working and others are taking a bit. I guess I've only been doing it for a few days.

What I liked the most is his way of thinking and his reasoning behind his theories. Much of it just makes sense to me. Also I liked his reasoning behind not drugging children. On how ADHD is so generic and most of the time that kids
Erika
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it
In case people can't tell, my daughter is slightly "high spirited." I prefer to use the now-un-PC term "hyper." Although I'm not banking on a 30-day miracle (since I'll be lucky to get this finished before she's 30 YEARS old), it does have a lot of good advice.

The issue of the book is really that the author feels that children are being drugged up with ADD and ADHD medications that are unnecessary, and if parents just try a few different approaches to their child's behavior, they will change wit
Shelley
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
A different parenting book written by an author STRONGLY against any drugs for children. Instead, he extolls looking for and teaching your kids sibling caring, mother teresa behaviors, and taking disappointment calmly. The ABCDs of changed behavior are reminding the child of good behavior later on, followed by 100% praise, explaining why that behavior is valued by you, then followed by parent/child fun time in an activity you know your child enjoys. Author does not condone spanking.
Msor
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I generally liked this book, though I think it had a lot of huge gaps of missing information, and it wasn't really well organized. I agree with the parenting philosophy of the author, and his recommendations for discipline and guidance.
Dutchess Froglady
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Totally disagree with this guy - how can he write a book based on his view that ADHD does not exist. Yes, parents need to parent, of that I have no doubt, but there is a place and a need for other therapies as well.
Nathan
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with kids on Ritalin
Ok. Nothing mind-blowing.
Janae
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good advice. Interesting case studies. When I remember to do as he insturcts, I see improved behavior.
Sheila
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book and I look forward to trying his approach. But, a lot of what seems like too much misc info and too much justifying why it works.
Beth
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ok book. Little hard to follow and see his organization of thought. Had some valid points. I'd like to try some of his suggestions and see what happens.
Stacy
Nov 14, 2017
Katie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
The author's approach to discipline seems very effective.
Maretta Cannon