Start by marking “From Boys to Men: Spiritual Rites of Passage in an Indulgent Age” as Want to Read:
From Boys to Men: Spiritual Rites of Passage in an Indulgent Age

From Boys to Men: Spiritual Rites of Passage in an Indulgent Age

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A guide to restoring the successful models used by ancient cultures the world over to raise adolescent boys

• Explains the negative effects of Western youth culture and how it can be transformed

• Offers instructions for integrating basic rites of passage into modern family life and youth programs

For tens of thousands of years all across the globe, societies have been cop
Published October 25th 2006 by Park Street Press

To ask other readers questions about From Boys to Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Boys to Men

Tomáš
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skvělá knížka, která vedla k nejedné rodinné diskuzi. Myslím, že za pár let, až mé děti přijdou do puberty, ji budu muset znovu najít a projít. Není nutné se bát titulního obrázku či spirituálního charakteru - ba naopak. Ve světle historických a kulturních změn se jedná o přijatelnější záležitosti, než současná krize rodiny a věcí z ní vyplývající. Troufám si říct, že vedle pomoci s výchovou chlapců knížka může pomoc dospět nejednomu dospělému muži čtenáři.
Karin
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book definitely passed my "good sense" test. It makes sense. While this was written by a man who has formed a career out of helping juvenile delinquents, he is quick to point out that the rite of passage isn't just for society's lost boys. As a parent of a son, I often worry about how to help him become a man in a culture that isn't designed to help young boys flourish and become adults. As I read, it became more clear to me why my religion does things the way it does. Many of the purposes ...more
Taylor
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is in any kind of a relationship with a boy/man
Wow. The things this book got me to think about... Anyone raising a young man in this culture should read this. Stephenson makes wonderful case after case for the importance of initiation for young men.

(Okay, young women need initiation as well, but Nature set us up with an automatic initiation, even if it is just being handed a pamphlet and a box of Tampax...that's still more than most young men get)

Anyway, Stephenson quotes excellent sources (Thomas Heine, John Taylor Gatto, etc.), numerous a
Talisa
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The author, Bret Stephenso, did a class for foster parents Paul attended. He works with kids were it is their last chance to turn around before incarceration. Tis book is informative for all of us who wonder when we really became women and men and for anyone who is parenting or in a role of leadership with tweens and teens.
Erin Drake
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I have been warned not to judge a book by its cover yet with one glance at this one, I foresaw a work ripe with hokey suggestions for homemade ceremonies and unfounded statements about society’s spiritual abandonment of youth. When will I learn? It’s not that bad. In fact, author Bret Stephenson has penned an astute piece of literature that offers some valuable insights into youth culture.

Stephenson begins by identifying the conditions that have led to a postindustrial society teeming with unfoc
Joe Arnold
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have found this book inspirational and has prompted me to continue my desire to create ritual and rites of passage for my father friends with their boys. A group is now forming on Whidbey Island thanks to Bret's incredible insights into the impact on our young generation who is lacking these rites of passage. The hero's journey he speaks of in his book is bang on and many ounger fathers are just begining to take note and this book will continue to be my personal reference book. Thank you Bret. ...more
Petr
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is how I'll raise a boy if I'll have one.
Kyle