Start by marking “Lost Souls (DC Laura McGanity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lost Souls (DC Laura McGanity, #2)

Lost Souls (DC Laura McGanity #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  470 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Sometimes the worst nightmares happen in broad daylight...An utterly gripping novel for fans of Peter James and Mark Billingham, from a rising star in the crime genre. A woman is found brutally murdered on a quiet housing estate, her tongue and eyes ritualistically gouged out. Children are being abducted and then returned to their families days later without a scratch and ...more
Published 2008 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Lost Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Souls

Best Crime Books & More
I enjoyed the first book in this series and was looking forward to getting stuck in to book 2. This time around Laura and Jack have relocated from London back up to Lancashire and are starting afresh. I liked both Jack and Laura in the first book and nothing has changed since then. They are easy to read characters and the writing has a nice easy flow about it. The opener of this latest book sets the scene for what Laura will have to deal with working alongside new colleagues in her job as a poli ...more
Peter Wilson
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Both this book and his first novel are cracking reads moving along at a great pace with great twists and turns.The authors knowledge of law and possibly the guilt he feels about being a defence lawyer add an extra honest dimension to this book.Read it you wont regret it
Plum-crazy
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cracking read - I thoroughly enjoyed this & couldn't put it down! All the characters were engaging & believable, DC Laura McGanity, her partner journalist Jack Garrett & lawyer Sam Nixon being the main players. My only criticism would be I found some of the final scenes a bit muddling & hard to visualise. However, the ending has left me wanting more so I'll be off to track down anymore in the series.
Elusive
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
In 'Lost Souls', a woman has been brutally murdered with her tongue and eyes ripped out. Meanwhile, young boys are kidnapped and subsequently returned to their parents. They appear unharmed yet they have no memory about where they had been and what had happened. As DC Laura works together with her colleagues to figure out if the motive of the perpetrator, her reported boyfriend Jack hunts for information too. Will they be able to capture the criminal before more people become victims?

Despite the
Zineb
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
In Lancashire, a woman has been brutally murdered and kids are being kidnapped but brought back to their families, unharmed. While the woman’s eyes have been gouged out and her tongue cut off, the kids who are brought back to their families do not have a single memory of where they’ve been or who have taken them. Could both of these cases have something in common? DC Laura McGanity and her son have just moved from London to join her boyfriend Jack Garret, in Blackley. As Laura McGanity works her ...more
Abhijeet Dutta
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Again [after "FALLEN IDOLS", the 1st novel of the series] the novel was so good that had i been a film producer , i would have instantly purchased the copyright and made a Thriller Movie on it .
The story seemed to be a lot of guessible till 80-85% of the story length as the suspicion was focused to only one character in the story which was SURPRISINGLY NOT. Suspense was totally incredible and contrary to what expected.
Difficult to put down till the end. Close your eyes and go for it.
My reque
Lynda Kelly
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another new author to me earlier this year and I liked his first one so bought this one too.
It features DI Laura McGanity once more and her journalist boyfriend. In this one they've both headed up north to live. Young boys are going missing BUT then being returned unharmed after a week with no memory of where they've been in the interim.
Also, in another case, a young lady is murdered and her eyes and tongue removed. So Laura and her team are investigating. In this book she has a new pol
Angela
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was certainly not let down by this, the second book in the Laura McGanity series. I'm the type of person who likes hard facts and evidence. Precognition is something I've come across before and my honest opinion is that there isn't sufficient evidence to substantiate such claims. Nevertheless, the use of this phenomenon worked well within the story and it added an extra dimension. I can honestly say that I was left guessing whodunit right up until near the end. I thoroughly enjoyed Lost Souls ...more
John Lee
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
It was interesting to see the notes that I made when I read the first in the series last year. I think that I could almost rewrite them for this book too.
It is a good story but with a section,in my opinion, unnecessarily gory for my taste. Certainly a page turner and there is one passage of very cleverly misleading narrative, but in the final action I found it difficult to understand clearly what was happening.
I have the next book in the series available and will probably be back to it at some t
Mariagriffiths66
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was given this book by a friend to read. When I started it I thought it was going to be an ok read and it was easy to read. However as I got throuh the book I began to be irritated by the way the author wrote and I didn't care at all about the characters. During the last pages when it was meant to be an exciting climax I found myself switching off and not really taking in what was happening! Won't be reading any more of his books!
Fiona Johnson
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting tale which just didn't deliver as much as I wanted. I'm a sucker for anything like precognition so I was sold on this before I even started. The characters are good and well described and have lots of room to develop. However, it just doesn't happen. Lots of opportunities to develop the plot through the characters are just missed.

The plot fizzles out and then is too neatly wrapped up at the end. Shame because this could have been a really good story.
Gary Van Cott
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is ok, but I had a few problems with it. I don't think the relationship between reporter Jack Garrett (who for some reason is written in the first person while all the other characters are written in the third person) and DC Laura McGanity is interesting enough to warrant a higher rating. Some aspects of the plot seemed a bit mechanical.
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was ok..I felt that the first quarter was a little confusion as the shifting between first person and other people's perspective didn't always make it clear who was telling the story at each point. I think this meant my enjoyment was clouded by my early confusion. The book picked up from about 60% through and I enjoyed the "whodunit" aspect.
Lynsey
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot from this genre and can say this was fabulous- I was interested from the moment I started to read and the interlinking of several story lines meant there was NEVER a dull moment. Gripping!!!

Good development of characters from book one and more than laying foundations for the next. Original plot unlike anything I've read and i read the genre a lot.

Would recommend
Anne Robinson
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: more-by-author
Good plot, but found the switching between different points of view a bit irritating. The author doesn't give each section enough length, so that you have to switch after only a few paragraphs at times. Otherwise, an enjoyable read and I have already put the rest of the series on request at the library!
Hyesung J
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: notcontinueing
Unfinished. Not thinking of continuing.

The only thing I can say about this book is that it gets boring.
Im not a big reader and so I only end up finishing a book only if it is hair gripping. This is not. This is very slow paced and there are too many characters so it can be confusing. I think there should be a character page for this book.

Hazel Abendschein
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. The plot has twists and turns in a town that has lots to hide. The author has used his knowledge of the legal system to make a story that comes alive and will draw you in to want to read more.
Belinda Cohen
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once again, an amazing book, from start to finish, unputdownable
Tracey
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-crime
Good, not quite as good as the first, parts of the plot could have developed further. But enjoyed none the less.
N
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very Old School crime story - heros, villans, murder, suspense a chase..... Good solid read, will look out for other Neil White books.
Jack
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, multi-stranded crime thriller set in Lancashire.
Angela Free
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit long, but a good twist regarding who the murderer was.
Lesley
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Neil White is a great find I am thoroughly enjoying his books. At the moment I cant get enough of them
Pauline
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent 2nd book in series. Gripped from start to finish,
David
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quite good and did not want to put it down once started. The story has lots of twists to it but never gets ridiculous.
Robert
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Bit to far fetched. Second of series read but not in order. May give rest a miss
Tiffany Lee
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I like this author, although this book took me a while to really enjoy it. But in the end I am glad I read it and was able to get into the story.
June Davidson
Mar 20, 2013
Jenni
Jun 25, 2011
paulosullivan
Nov 12, 2014
  • The Missing Dead (Jessica Daniel #6)
  • The End of Winter
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Royal Flush
  • Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)
  • The Reaper (Damen Brook, #1)
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
  • Marked (Callum Doyle, #3)
  • Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)
  • The Death Pit
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • The Murder on the Links (Agatha Christie Comic Strip)
  • Misplaced Loyalty (Meredith & Hodge, #1)
Neil White was brought up in Wakefield in West Yorkshire, but now lives in Preston, Lancashire, with his wife and three children.
Neil started writing in 1994, but his first book, Fallen Idols, wasn't published until 2007, when it was nominated for the Books To Talk About Award. Three more books have followed, Lost Souls, Last Rites and Dead Silent, and the fifth book, Cold Kill is due for publicat
More about Neil White...

DC Laura McGanity (5 books)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Last Rites (DC Laura McGanity, #3)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)