Start by marking “The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy” as Want to Read:
The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy

The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy

Book by Erika Lenkert
Published March 3rd 2008 by DK ADULT

To ask other readers questions about The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy

Start your review of The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy
Angelyn Vaughan
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-2013
If you're more interested in what common or popular rather than what's recommended, this is the book for you.
Pros: well-organized, easy to read, occasional interesting facts and trends, and a more laid-back and girly-girl perspective than most pregnancy books. If you like reading about other people's very personal experiences (mostly the author's), you'll probably enjoy this.
Cons: practically no info about the baby's development, occasional redundancy and cutesy phrasing, no expert input aside
Jackie O
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
First of all, I AM NOT PREGNANT! I can read a pregnancy book without being pregnant...I just find it interesting.

The book was fun to read, but I wanted to hear more about the actual development of the kid rather than all the cutesy things that go along with it (maternity wear, pampering yourself, etc.).

I also asked my mom questions while reading it, and she usually replied with: "...I don't think that ever happened to me." And trust me, there were quite a few questions I asked. The author made i
Marie
I give The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy a solid "meh." It was full of anecdotal advice and stories, which can be reassuring and even entertaining, but it wasn't very full of actual factual advice. I read both this one and the classic What to Expect to When You're Expecting, and found the combo to be good. This book is definitely much lighter, and more concerned with what's happening to the mother-to-be's body; What to Expect... is much more dry and more concerned with the health of the mom and u ...more
Kristen McBee
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-prose
Relatable conversation style. No scare tactics. A lot of information but sometimes overwhelming, which is probably unavoidable for a first-time mom book.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Early on in my pregnancy, I really relied on this book, as it had a lot of good anecdotal info from real moms about morning sickness, exercise, and freaky symptoms. I have come to seek other books as my pregnancy has progressed, but this is a good resource to check out of the library or find used when you first learn you're pregnant and need some reassurance that you're normal. There is a lot of time spent on beauty and clothing, though, so if you're not really a diva-ish sort of mom-to-be, just ...more
Shana
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Now that I'm five months more pregnant than I was when I read this book I see what purpose it served. It was like a cliff notes, getting me ready for the real, meaningful reading that was to come. This book was helpful in that way, but it is focused on a style of birth that is more conventional than I prefer. I'm more of a do-it-yourself-er when it comes to matters of health and this book puts a little to much power into the hands of the medical model of care for pregnancy and labor than I like.
Chanae
This was an okay book. Nothing really "new" that I haven't already read before. The #1 reason I got the book to read, and the only thing that really stuck out to me as being different from all the other pregnancy books out there was what the book called - "The Mommy Menagerie".
Scattered throughout the book the Mommy Menagerie included different polls and quotes from other women on their experiences being pregnant. That's basically what I was looking for in this book - to get real experiences -
Kim Z
Sep 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pregnant women
Lots of good information, advice, and anecdotes in a fun, easy-to-read package. The author shares her own experiences as well as those of women she surveyed, which allows the book to give a broad view of the various pregnancy experiences women have. The book also contained a lot of lists, which (since I borrowed the book from the library) I copied onto index cards for use later (i.e. key items for the hospital bag, key items for the nursery, overrated items for the nursery, etc.)

Plus, this book
Adrienne Jones
Oct 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
The bright pink cover should have warned me. Unnatural colors are often nature's sign for poisons.

This book was almost- but not quite- laughably bad. If it were a bit more overt in its (unintentional) insults it might have won me over. Parody chapter titles could include "Pretty Yourself Up- It'll Make You (and Presumably everyone else) Happier."

When this book seriously suggested "retail therapy" for the pregnancy blues, I could go no further.

Dreadful. I may have to smuggle this book into the li
Susan
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It was suppose to be a real life view of being preganant with practical applications. I learned a lot reading the book and appreciated the parts from real moms and the doctor imputs. The lists at the back of the book were great about what you needed for the baby and what to take to the hospital. I would recommend this book.
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Upbeat, refreshing and very easy read. This is not a replacement for the encyclopedia-like books on pregnancy, but is a great read while pregnant anyway. When you feel bad about not choking down your 18 servings of fruits and veggies a day, this book will give you comfort. My only complaint is that the font is ridiculously small and hard to read. Otherwise very recommended.
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
As my first pregnancy book, and possibly my last, I enjoyed this different approach to conveying knowledge about pregnancy. We sifted through many "froo-froo" books at Barnes and Noble before coming across this one. It's a just the facts, no-frills guide to what to expect.
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fabulous - simple, easy to read, and so helpful!
Angela
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New mom-to-be's...
Love the way this book is written! All the advice you would get from an honest girlfriend, without needing to call! Hysterical, honest, TRUE!
Tonya Jenusaitis
Very witty and cute with good ideas. Great first time mom book.
Jessica
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another fun book on pregnancy by women!
I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to anyone!
Holly
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Lots of useful tips. Upbeat. calmed a lot of my concerns about being pregnant.
Brittany Dalomba
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Very funny fun read when you are preg.
Claudette
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: educational
It was OK, a bit of informative information. But the book was based for US readers. I learnt some things that other baby books didn't have.
Becca
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
loved this book - lots of checklists and personal antidotes
Kim McCoy
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fun approach to a pregnancy guide if you want something a little lighter than a thick medical textbook. I liked the author's real-life advice and humor.
Kim
Jun 10, 2013
Larissa
Aug 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »

• Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Dangerous Minds (Knight and Moon, #2)
  • Liar Liar (Detective Harriet Blue, #3)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • The Bluest Eye
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Sula
  • Going Home
  • The Paris Review Issue 227
  • The Reader
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography
  • Midsommar
  • The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny, #1)
  • The Seagull Reader: Poems