Start by marking “Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)” as Want to Read:
Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)

Class of '59

(American Journey #4)

When Mary Beth McIntire settles into a vacation house on June 2, 2017, she anticipates a quiet morning with coffee. Then she hears a noise, peers out a window, and spots a man in 1950s attire standing in the backyard. She panics when the trespasser sees her and enters the house though a door to the basement. She questions her sanity when she cannot find him.

In the same
Published September 2nd 2016 by John A. Heldt (first published September 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Class of '59, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class of '59

Start your review of Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)
Dianne
Time travel, we’ve all had that moment when we wish we could go back and change something, or maybe head into the future to see what has happened, not that we think it is possible, but for a curious college student from 1959, traveling through time to the year 2017 would become the best trip he ever made. Welcome back into the world of romance and time travel as John A. Heldt once again breaches time to bring true love to two brothers and two sisters born decades apart who were destined to be ...more
Kellyn Roth
Well, that was great! I was a little worried that I wouldn’t like it because I always feel bad after giving a bad review … even if my last review of one of Mr. Heldt’s books wasn’t exactly bad, I had some bad things to say about the book. But I really enjoyed Class of ’59 (as you know if you’re my mother and scolded me in the morning for being up at two …).

Read the rest of my review here.

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Teena in Toronto
It's 2017 and Mary Beth is recovering from the death of her fiancé, Jordan, almost a year ago. She is on vacation with her family and staying in the house of her father's friend in California. One morning she sees a man coming and going from the house. When she goes to confront him, he has disappeared.

It's 1959 for Mark Ryan and he and his family have just moved into a house. One day he discovers a tunnel that takes him to 2017. He goes twice, the second time being confronted by Mary Beth. She
The Reading Bud
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Class of ’59 by John A. Heldt is a great romance book, the perfect company for a rainy Sunday afternoon. It combines love story and time traveling with details of ’59 and just a little bit of suspense, crime, and danger.

The book is easy to read and made me curious from the start. When I read about the death of Mary Beth’s boyfriend in the first pages of the book, I didn’t imagine that it will be some time traveling involved.

The characters were so simple, no drama, just enjoying life. I
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Class of ’59 by John A. Heldt is a must read for any reader that loves historical romances or even just loves the 50s. This book is different from the other two books that I have read of Mr. Heldt’s. This is the first book that I am aware of his that has four different main characters. Along with the four different main characters, it also has six different third person point of view chapters scattered throughout the book.

The main character is Mary Beth McIntire. She is a twenty-two-year-old
Donadee's Corner
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Donadee's Corner by: Author
Class of 59 American Journey book 4 by John A Heldt
Sisters and brothers find love and much more in a timeless adventure!

When Mary Beth McIntire settles into a vacation house on June 2, 2017, she anticipates a quiet morning with coffee. Then she hears a noise, peers out a window, and spots a man in 1950s attire standing in the backyard. She panics when the trespasser sees her and enters the house through a door to the basement. She questions her sanity when she cannot find him. In the same house
Savannah (The Book Prophet)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This in no way effects my overall rating of this book.

This book starts off with a literal bang and doesn’t let up as the novel progresses. We follow four young protagonists that discover a time travelling tunnel in their home. Mary Beth and her sister Piper are from 2017 – Mark and Ben are brothers from the year 1959.

This premise really intrigued me when I got an email request for it. Although I haven’t read many,
Ryan H
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a really big fan of time travel books and this was a very cool read. Would you ever follow secret instructions on the letter? This book jumps back-and-forth from 2017 and 1959 and this mysterious, enlightening and filled with romance. This one got me thinking if I had the chance to go back and change one thing what I? What could possibly go wrong and with the second chance be better? The author does a great job of showing us how no matter how many things change they sometimes seem to always ...more
April
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Class of '59
: John A. Heldt

This time travel novel features two sets of young adult siblings, one from 1959 the other from 2017. The listener gets to see how younger characters handle the challenges that older characters might face differently. There are adventures, teen drama, romance and of course villains to round things out. I enjoyed this book.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed. I loved the voices and accents performed by Patrice Gambardella.

I was given this free

ASIN B01LFS490W
Edition Language English
series American Journey
Other Editions None found
[Digital copy from Author]in exchange for honest review

Book Buy Link
Amazon

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Natalie Rowe
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Written for My Blog

Thank you to the author of this book for sending me a copy in return for an honest review.

Although this is part of a series, I read it as a stand alone.

The story follows two sisters and two brothers, the sisters are from 2017, and the brothers from 1959. They cross paths when eldest brother Mark stumbles upon a time tunnel that was left by the house’s previous owner. Mark Ryan walks into 2017 and startles Mary Beth Mcentire, a young medical graduate who is visiting the current
On My Kindle BR
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onmykindlebr
I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really fun read! The sisters have quite an adventure in 1959 since Mary Beth's sister, a recent high school graduate, decides that she wants to experience the 50's as a high school senior; complete with poodle skirts, dances, drive-in theaters, and makeout sessions!

Heldt did a great job with all of the characters; they are developed and credible. The colloquialisms used in the dialogue actually match the setting
Dawn West
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book.**

Two young ladies take a trip back in time to find true love.

When Mark manages to open a stuck drawer and find a collection of strange items, he takes a risk and puts the instructions to good use, traveling from 1959 through time to present day California. His arrival does not go unnoticed, however. He's spotted by Mary Beth, a woman who is visiting the same home in the future. When she catches him, he sure has some
Pamela King
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am still not convinced that, as a genre, time travel books are for me but John Heldt’s books certainly are and I was not disappointed with class of ‘59.

I was looking forward to reading Class of ’59 because it is a time I remember and loved the music, fashion, television shows and movie stars. I wasn’t disappointed. John A Heldt brings to life a time where the pace of life was slower, young people were ladies and gentlemen, and young love precious.

The four main characters, sisters Mary Beth and
Ashley Tomlinson
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this book and this whole series. Time travel tales are always interesting and this book is no exception. I liked that this book was a little different from the other books in the series. I don't know how the author can come up with such creative books and how he can make the past come back to life. The way he describes everything really makes me feel like I'm watching a tv show set in the past.

Mark is from 1959, he is going through a drawer when he finds a letter from a Mr. Bell and some
Brianna Remus
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Review: This novel was incredibly dynamic, especially in respects to its' characters and the relationships the characters have with one another. Readers start with an introduction of Mary Beth McIntire who is suffering the loss of her fiancee, while on vacation with her family in California. Mary Beth is also pursuing medical school and despite her personal tragedy, she maintains the motivation necessary to move forward with her goals. She comes across as a
Rachel T

REVIEW

5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

OK, so I have been reviewing for John Heldt for a while now, and I admit that when I start one of his books, he is already at a 5 star rating, simply because he ALWAYS delivers. Every time I review I think, "my goodness, seriously there has to be something that I can pick at?", but NOPE, NEVER IS! This time is not the least bit different, and I struggle to find new ways to gush about John's writing. So instead of trying to find new ways to write an "OMG, I
Jessica Bronder
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is 2017 and Mary Beth McIntire is recovering from the loss of her fiancé and on vacation with her family at a friend of her father’s house in California. One day she sees a strange man coming and going from the house. But when she goes to confront him he is gone. Mark Ryan is from 1959 and his family has just moving into the house. While exploring he finds plans about going forward in time. He goes on his adventure and seems Mary Beth a few times before he finally approaches her and tells her ...more
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book by John A Heldt that I have had the pleasure of reading and, once again, I was not at all disappointed. As a matter of fact, I read this book in one sitting! I really enjoy the time travel story lines!

One thing that I appreciated about Class of '59 was how the chapters were from the characters perspectives. For example, one chapter would be from Mary Beth's perspective, the next would be from Mark's perspective, then another character, and so on...
That normally bothers
Sandra Lopez
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
2017: Mary Beth found herself in the middle of a store robbery. That’s when a gunman shot and killed the only man she’s ever loved.

1959: Mark finds a letter from a man in the 1900’s that traveled through time and wondered if it could really happen.

Suddenly, Mark finds himself in the future, 2017. He discovers that the house that was once his home in 1959 is the also the place where Mary Beth is vacationing with her family. After he meets Mary Beth, she accidentally joins him in 1959.

From that
Melanie Adkins
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's 2017 and Mary Beth experiences the most horrific thing a person can experience. To say it rattled her would be an understatement. While staying at a family friends house, Mary Beth begins to see things. She has to investigate.
Mark finds a paper in an old desk. What it says can't possibly be true. Mark's gonna give it a try though. How will it affect Mary Beth and Mark?

Mr. Heldt draws you in from the first words. Well written and characters you'll love are huge pluses in this book. You
Tina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relaxing read

This was a pleasant, easy read that I enjoyed on this frigidly cold day in January. It was just what I needed for a relaxing, cozy day inside. I enjoy time-travel books and this fit the bill just fine. Four young people experience both 1959 and 2017 together over a month's time. It was fun imagining what it must have been like fir the two that were experiencing a prior of time that wasn't there own. Betting on a basketball game in 1959 with information obtained in 2017, thereby
brooklyn
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I was sent this novel by the author to read and review and I am very happy I did get to read it. The concept of time travel and science fiction is not something I read very often so it was quite different and enjoyably new for me to read. I felt as the story progressed throughout the novel, the main thing that stood out was the character development and the evolving relationships between the sisters and the brothers as well as with each other. This novel reminded me of Back To The Future in the ...more
Liz
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 1950's Were Fun!!!

Heldt has written another time traveling fun, informative, heart-racing and heart-wrenching novel! As I was born in 1955, much within this fictional work is only known through others older than I or historical accounts, movies and the like. John Heldt brings it all to life, as well as the challenges time-traveling presents to those involved.... The differences between 1959 and 2017 are incredible on so many fronts!

I highly recommend John Heldt's books.... His work will
Sandi
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic and predictable

I found this book rather boring actually. His past 3 books in the American Journey series has much more pazase. While the storyline was good, it just didn't have a lot of character so to speak. I found the characters too predictable and lacking in development. I am not sure the commentary overweening people was that calm and to the point, as in, " Are you happy? ", at the end of the book...whereas we one expected something more profound from this intelligent young lady. A
Kitty_ranma
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A unexpected surprise."
Audio version.
This is the first time I've read/listened by John Heldt. It won't be the last enjoyed this very much. This may be part of a series, but this can stand alone.
The narrator brought the story to life.
This Audiobook was given to me for free at my request from the publisher, author or narrator and I provided this unbiased voluntary review.
Reasons I enjoyed this book:
Action-packed, Easy-to-read, Entertaining, Great world building Happily Ever After, Original,
Barbara
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible, borrowed, series
Was being generous with the 3star rating. I know you have to suspend disbelief in books like this, but really, the guy has a 1959 engineering degree and is able to get a job at NASSA with nothing on his resume for the years between 59 and 2017 and he still looks in his early 20s?

The girl was dumb enough to bet on the exact score, 70 to 71, some national ball game. Did not she think that might look a little suspicious? No wonder she drew the attention on the mob.
Roland Taub
Not as good

Having graduated from college in 1959 I really looked forward to this entry in this series. But I found this tale more simplistic and slow developing than the first three books. Mr Heldt seemed more interested in mentioning songs and places than furthering the plot. I also think the ending was too simple and easy. I am hoping for a better tale in the next book more like the first three.
Alice Boni
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story

This was an interesting book with great characters. The time travel theme worked very well. The four young people traveled between 2017 and 1959 so there was good contrast between what each knew and how much that was the same. I think younger readers will relate better to them. Being a 50's girl, I was interested in what the author consisterd important enough to incorporate into the story.
Sandra Jackson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner

I enjoyed a trip back to 1959 when I was a 10 year old. Even though time travel has never been an interest to me, I've read several of Heldt's books. I've found them to be well-written with interesting characters that you want to get to know. Keep them coming, Mr. Heldt!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Maude (The Dear Maude Trilogy #1)
  • Stealing Time (Stealing Time #1)
  • Yesterday's Gold, Complete Series (Yesterday's Gold, #1-5; Now and Forever Western Time Travel, #2)
  • Christmas in Time (Time Travel Romance Series, Book 6)
  • The Handfasters
  • Lucius: In the Shadows of Angels
  • Christmas Kiss (Kisses and Carriages, #1)
  • Crushed (Fredrickson Winery, #2)
  • Gladly Beyond (Brothers Maledetti #1)
  • The Draig's Woman (Draig Clan, #1)
  • Dreams of the Highlander
  • A Knight to Remember (Merriweather Sisters #1; Knights Through Time Travel #1)
  • The Rake and the Recluse - A Tale of Two Brothers (Lords of Time #1)
  • Saving Parker (A Forever Home, #3)
  • Heart of Fire Time of Ice (A Time Equation Novel)
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Refuge at Pine Lake (Pine Haven)
  • The Mail-Order Bride Carries a Gun (Brides of Sweet Creek Ranch, #1)
John A. Heldt is the author of the critically acclaimed Northwest Passage, American Journey, and Carson Chronicles series. The former reference librarian and award-winning sportswriter has loved getting subjects and verbs to agree since writing book reports on baseball heroes in grade school. A graduate of the University of Oregon and the University of Iowa, Heldt is an avid fisherman, sports fan, ...more

American Journey (5 books)
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)
  • Indiana Belle (American Journey, #3)
  • Hannah's Moon (American Journey, #5)