Start by marking “Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself” as Want to Read:

Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself (Smart Soap Making #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  445 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
SPECIAL NOTE! -- ANNE WILL PERSONALLY ANSWER ANY QUESTION OF YOURS AFTER READING THIS BOOK. ASK ON HER WEB SITE, AND YOU'LL NORMALLY HEAR BACK WITHIN HOURS!

Maybe you've made melt-and-pour soap and want to move on to something more challenging and rewarding. Maybe traditional soapmaking appeals to you, but you figure that working with lye is too difficult or dangerous. Or
Published January 1st 2007 by Shepard Publications

To ask other readers questions about Smart Soapmaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Soapmaking

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
A good, all around basic book for soapmaking. It breaks down the mysteries of different butters and oils, liquids, common sense, and debunks the warnings. The book is almost all text with a few black and white drawings to head chapters.

There's a decent number of recipes, starting out with appreciated ones with ingredients available from the grocery store, assuming you have lye available. The author is honest about some being less moisturizing than other recipes, and honest about the softness an
Dee
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Her books have such a high readability level; it's refreshing to read these little wonders. In both this one and her Milk soapmaking books, the basic tenet of her approach to soapmaking is just this: measure all ingredients accurately, follow the safe guidelines with a healthy respect for anything involving lye, do the steps in the proper order and you WILL get soap. She's putting "relax" between every word, every line, every step. Probably a good thing since beginning soap makers can easily ove ...more
Linina Phuttitarn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book is that it is written in simple language as if I'm listening to her in person teaching me the basic of soapmaking. I also love the Q&A part at the end of the book. Very practical and useful. Basic soap recipes are also interesting.
John Lucy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Watson's little book is probably best for first-time soapmakers. I am myself a first-timer so very much appreciate the simplicity that Watson writes with and how she makes everything seem easy, safe, and fun, without an overload of information.

But, though she says that the book can be used by all folk, I imagine that when I am more experienced her book will be less helpful to me. While reading I already thought of questions that she does not cover or not thoroughly. Watson is very good at making
Jessica
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Introduction to Soap Making

This book had a wealth of information presented in an easy to read manner. I especially appreciated the time the author took to wade through the myths regarding soap making in order to present a concise procedure for successful soap making. I thought that this book was so well done that I purchased her milk soap making, lotion making and cookie press books as well.
Jenna
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
I've wanted to try my hand at making soap for a while, but it seemed more than slightly daunting. Anne made it sound quite simple and in fact, it was! I made my first batch a couple days ago and I think it turned out well, though time will tell. This book is perfect for the very beginner, but I'm already finding myself seeking other sources for new recipes. I really appreciate that this book gave me the confidence to try something new!
Josephine
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobbies
I wish I discovered this gem earlier in my soap making endeavors. Excellent book for someone who loves to experiment in making soap! It's clear, concise and doesn't make a hobby into drudgery. The recipes are truly different for each kind of soap, unlike many similar books. Additionally, the author also has a great website which documents her experiments in soap making.
I've yet again returned to this book when I double check my memory for a step. I can't say enough good about this book!
Jolynn Armstrong
Outstanding

I've read many soap making books and this is by far the best of the lot. She explains not only the how-to, she explains the why-for of the process. It's not just a bunch of recipes using expensive butters with various additives.

I highly recommend this to anyone thinking about making cold process soap.
Sarah Kingston
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
This great book breaks it down. There are many "rules" of soap making, but she tells you which ones are not necessary. There are several recipes, step-by-step instructions, and witty commentary. It's a good reference to have.
Dayna
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to make soap based on this book..but the book made me ready to want to dive in. The book is written very straightforward and seems to cut away a lot of the fear in trying your hand at a new project. I rad through it in one sitting. I look forward to rereading and testing it out.
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques  Know-How
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-To-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook
  • Forgotten Arts and Crafts
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Beatrice's Goat
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature

Smart Soap Making (5 books)
  • Milk Soapmaking: The Smart Guide to Making Milk Soap From Cow Milk, Goat Milk, Buttermilk, Cream, Coconut Milk, or Any Other Animal or Plant Milk (Smart Soapmaking Book 2)
  • Smart Lotionmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Luxurious Lotions, or How to Make Lotion That's Better Than You Buy and Costs You Less (Smart Soapmaking Book 3)
  • Castile Soapmaking: The Smart Guide to Making Castile Soap, or How to Make Bar Soaps From Olive Oil With Less Trouble and Better Results (Smart Soapmaking Book 4)
  • Cool Soapmaking: The Smart and Simple Guide to Low-Temp Tricks for Making Soap with Milk, Citrus, Cucumber, Pine Tar, Beer, Wine, and Other Special Ingredients (Smart Soap Making Book 5)