Start by marking “The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-based Soaps” as Want to Read:
The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-based Soaps

The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-based Soaps

An inspiring exploration of the goodness of chemical- and additive-free soap. 102,000 copies in print.
Published September 27th 1995 by Storey Books (first published June 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Natural Soap Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Natural Soap Book

Virginia
Jun 25, 2008 Virginia rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-stuff
Before I started making soap, I read this book cover to cover and then went back and re-read several sections. I still use it as a reference, though some of Cavitch's maxims I have found to not apply. But perhaps it depends on what recipe you're using?
Diana Thomsen
Feb 22, 2017 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The best book I've found on soap-making, and the one that I've determined to buy for long-term use. It has everything you need to know in a compact and easy-to-read format.
Harloe
Jan 04, 2015 Harloe rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-2015-list
I was a little disappointed in this book. It was suggested to me as an essential primer for new soapers. I'm not completely new to soap making and if I was I don't think this book would inspire confidence. Here are the reasons:
1. Basic terms are mentioned but not defined, not even in the glossary (like Discounting for instance).
2. The author is really negative about other styles of soap making and comes across a little snobbish at times.
3. If you are going to claim that a substance should not be
Dominique
Nov 18, 2014 Dominique rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked this handy little book! I borrowed it from the library and am tempted to purchase a copy.

I'm not a fan of her recipes though; they are way too big for my kitchen. All her information is pretty awesome! I'm going to pair up this knowledge with a more fancy soap maker's recipes. Some of it is dated (buying palm oil from a commercial restaurant truck, whereas we would just order it online) but all her advice is still golden.

Melissa
Aug 14, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent introduction to cold process soapmaking, with easy-to-understand descriptions of the various oils and fats, essential plant oils, and natural dyes that can be used to make soap. Cavitch also presents her reasoning for avoiding animal byproducts, synthetic fragrances and colorings, and vegetable products produced with massive amounts of pesticides, all without proselytizing. The instructions are detailed and clear, and the accompanying illustrations are fantastic.

K.
Feb 18, 2015 K. rated it really liked it
I came across this book at my local library and am glad I found it. I was looking for a beginners guide to soap making, and this book was just that and much more. While there are no photos, the drawings are more than adequate. The recipes for soaps cover everything from shampoo to regular hand soaps. There is great section that contains information on suppliers, which comes in handy for more obscure ingredients.
Angela
Feb 26, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
I am trying to get away from using Chemicals on my skin. I've been making my own facial skin care for a while now and started thinking about the soap that I shower with. So I am embarking on a new hobby of making my own soap. This book was very informative for the novice soap maker. It puts everything at you fingertips and answered all of my questions. It even give you several recipes to get started with and the knowledge to created your own recipes.
Richard Cummings
Dec 13, 2011 Richard Cummings rated it really liked it
Very useful and friendly book. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that all procedural instruction were repeated verbatum with each recipe. Kind of tedious, but maybe a safety consideration. Still, the book would give most anyone the confidence to try making healthy, high-quality, vegetable-based soapmaking at home. There is a "sequel" to this book entitled The Soapmakers Companion which I am reading now. More techniques and recipes for the folks who just want more.
Amanda
Aug 27, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
A very readable how-to book. Full detailed instructions on making soap at home using lye, vegetable oils and other natural ingredients. Good descriptions, scientific explanations, troubleshooting, etc. plus a philosophy I agree with.

I haven't attempted to make soap yet and I'm not sure that I will, but if I try it, I'll follow the instructions in The Natural Soap Book.
Susan
May 01, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Good, thorough descriptions of soap making ingredients. Cavitch discusses why various types of ingredients are better than others, why certain equipment materials are better than others, etc. She is also not shy about giving her personal opinions. Includes brief stories of several soapmakers and how they got their starts.
Catherine
Very interesting and informative. I really liked that she was technical without being too wordy or hard to understand- in fact, she is very easy to understand. My favorite part was still the part about the harder chemistry of saponification (a term I only know because of her).
Janette Boren
Feb 19, 2013 Janette Boren rated it it was amazing
another great book for making soap.
Angela Joyce
Sep 13, 2013 Angela Joyce rated it really liked it
This makes soap making seem quite achievable.
Gayle
Sep 28, 2011 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made it all seem very complicated. Have seen easier methods. However, I found it interesting and one day I actually will make soap!
Jan Kamenšek
Mar 02, 2013 Jan Kamenšek marked it as to-read
idk
Marty
Nov 11, 2008 Marty rated it it was amazing
Read this one several years ago. First batch of soap was perfect. Just read it again for tips for the next batch.
We love
Apr 12, 2012 We love rated it liked it
I read just bits and pieces of this...good book and full of detail. Something to pick up later when I am serious about soap making.
Jennifer Marie
Feb 03, 2013 Jennifer Marie rated it really liked it
This is an older book and a fair amount of stuff has changed but there are some really good basics in here and good information.
Naomi Moore
Jan 06, 2013 Naomi Moore rated it really liked it
This is an interesting resource. There is a heavy bias towards natural products and a lot of the information still good.
vidy
vidy rated it really liked it
May 02, 2011
Sigrid
Sigrid rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Jane Wilder-OConnor
Jane Wilder-OConnor rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
KC
KC rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Linda Hutchison
Linda Hutchison rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Fatema
Fatema rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2017
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Tasmin Betty
Tasmin Betty rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Tena Moreno
Tena Moreno rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
A.
A. rated it liked it
May 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind  Body
  • Natural Beauty at Home: More Than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
  • Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair: Natural and Healthy Bodycare for Every Body
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in Small Gardens and Containers
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, Rinses, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends