Start by marking “Megan's Mark (Breeds, #6; Feline Breeds, #5)” as Want to Read:
Megan's Mark (Breeds, #6; Feline Breeds, #5)

Megan's Mark

(Breeds #6)

In the first book of her erotic new series, Lora Leigh invites you to an intriguing world where genetically altered Breeds and the humans who created them commingle—and sometimes cross the boundaries of desire…

Cursed with the extraordinary power to feel other peoples’ emotions, Megan Fields has tucked herself away in a remote corner of New Mexico, working as a small-town s
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published May 2nd 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Megan's Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megan's Mark

Ridley
Apr 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
I say I like erotic romance, but now I wonder. I don't like Lauren Dane, Maya Banks or, apparently, Lora Leigh. My claim is looking kinda baseless. More research is in order.

Anyways, the book. Oh, the book.

Megan's Mark starts off well. Megan Fields is an empath working as a sheriff's deputy in the nice empty New Mexico desert. The blessed lack of people and action leaves her at peace, leaving her free from the overload of feeling other people's emotions.

When she checks on a SUV left in a washed
Buggy
Opening Line: “They were created not born. They were trained not raised.”

I haven’t read any Lora Leigh for ages, I gave up on her after editing issues, recycled storylines and just plain lack of any cohesive plot became too much to ignore. I started to feel a bit used as a reader and figured if she didn’t care about putting out a finished product why should I care about reading her stuff? Anyways.

After seeing several 5 star reviews (and because it had been sitting on my TBR shelf for years) I d
Dina
Braden was a wonderful hero: alpha to the core but a bit less domineering than the other Breeds Ive read so far, and I got the feeling he knew Megan was the woman for him before the mating heat took over, which was nice to see.

Megan was a kick-ass heroine, as alpha as a woman can be, but sometimes she came on too strong for my taste. When she showed Braden the arsenal of weapons she kept tucked at home, the word "psycho" came to my mind. Why did she have all those weapons? Shed been living a pre
Sophia Triad
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Breeds 7
Feline Breeds 5
Featured Couple: Braden (Lion) & Megan (Human)

The story of this book starts 7 years after the Breeds become known.

Empathic Megan Fields has decided to isolate and keep herself as far away as possible hiding her supernatural “gift”. New Mexico dessert is her hiding place but she will not be out of sight for long. Coyote Breeds for reasons she does not understand are chasing her and they have just located her.

Braden Arness is coming to her rescue. A lion Breed who has be
Manny
Every now and then, something happens to you that reaffirms your faith in the essential goodness of humanity. A few weeks ago, Choupette said she would like to get acquainted with the Brigade Mondaine series which I have been so diligently promoting in my reviews. I sent her a package of assorted Michel Brice. She asked if I wanted any contribution towards postage, but I told her that I believed that my karmic investment was clear, and I would surely get my reward in due course. I was just curio ...more
Heather
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans ofLora Leigh, Nalini Singh, and Angela Knight
This is actually the 7th (I think) book in the "Breed" series by Lora Leigh, although, aside from a novella I read in "Hot Spell" I had never read a "Breed" book before... and Im not sure why? I adore Lora Leigh... so here goes...

This is the story of Megan. She is a law enforcement officer in a really small town in the desert. She likes to be as far away from people as she possibly can, because she is an empath. She doesn't have a lot of control over her abilities however, which makes being arou
Mojca
Megan Fields has been struggling with her empathic abilities for the better part of her life. It was her inability to block other people's emotions that forced her to abandon her life-long dream to work in "serious" law enforcement, so now she makes her living as a sheriff's deputy in a small town in New Mexico.

While patrolling the desert, relishing its quietness and lack of thought and emotion, she discovers two corpses in a shot through SUV. Two Breed corpses. Examining the crime scene she qui
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-pnr, pnr
In Megan's Mark, I noticed a marked growth in Leigh's writing style and skills from the first of her Breed series. Fortunately, all the plot backgrounds that are missing from the earlier editions to the series are found here.

Meghan's Mark follows in the series timeline- 7 yrs later. It is definitely a stand alone novel, if you haven't ever read any of the Breed series yet, though I would recommend reading Tempting the Beast first for reference.

Set in the not too distant future, MM steps it up wi
Quinn
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Megan's Mark is billed as the start of a new series, but the only thing that differentiates this one from the Breeds books that have come before, is that this one is set around seven years later than the first six. Otherwise, this is very clearly just a continuation. In fact, I really think you would benefit from reading the first couple of the original books to get a better understanding of the background to the Breeds (even though the basics are covered off in this one).

I'm not sure how I felt
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Great story with a badass female heroine

This was another awesome Breeds book. This story was about Megan who is a human who also happens to be an empath, which means she can feel the emotions of everyone around her. Also if something truly traumatic happened in a place, she can pick up emotions that happened there for a long time afterwards.

She didn’t get this ability until she was in her late teens unlike many other empaths who get it at a young age and learn to develop shields so they don’t g
Jen Jen
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first of the series the really caught my interest.

There are certain things that I should pat Lora Leigh on the back for. Most importantly, Leigh created an excellent plot idea for this genre with amazing potential for action, intrigue and character and plot development. She has finally incorporated strong females in her novels instead of virginal damsels in distress, as well as women of various, yet ambiguous ethnicities. I have skimmed a bit further ahead than this release and I hav
Lover of Romance
Megan Fields, has the ability to feel the emotions of those around her. So she isolates herself in a small remote area of New Mexico, where she can be near those that she has grown up near to. So when danger finds her, and some coyote breeds after her life, she is saved by Braden Arness, who is a lion breed. From the first moment that Braden sees Megan, he feels the most strongest feelings of desire he has ever experienced, and knows that she feels the same, and its only a matter of time before ...more
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 stars.

I can definitely see why people say the series get much better with this book. Megan and Braden didn't even have sex till 33%.....that's amazing!! The story was interesting although I do have to admit that my eyes glazed over a bit when they were talking about all the weapons, GPS, and whatnot!

I was a little disappointed that Braden and Megan weren't as affectionate with each other as some of the prior couples. I don't think they even "just kissed" till around the halfway point of the
Mimi
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
So not good. I mean, I knew that going into the book--just look at that cover--but I was not prepared for how awful the writing truly was. It went beyond what I thought I knew about awful writing and it set the new bar for what I consider to be the absolute worst. A bar, might I add, that's still not broken. It's been nine years and nothing I've read since then comes close to this book.
Denise H.
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lora Leigh has this whole Breed series that is fabulous ! Love the amazing characters, action packed tales, and awesome hot sexiness ! You will love this paranormal, futuristic concept and be hooked like I am. I've read them all, and loved each one.
Highly recommend ! ENJOY !!!
Corandra

Jen Davis
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Ahhhh. These books drive me crazy. I can almost --ALMOST-- like them, and then the hero descends into utter douchbaggery that makes me want to kick him in the nads. In this case, said hero is Braden, an uber-alpha lion breed who has been dispatched to the isolated New Mexico town where Megan lives. She is a sheriff's deputy: smart, tough and capable. Unfortunately, her gifts as an empath can cripple her. The thoughts and feelings of others weigh on her... which is why she lives apart from most p ...more
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
The heroine and plot just did not work for me. On balance, I did not enjoy it.

This is Book 1 of The Breed series which is an offshoot of the Feline Breeds series. The Genetics Council used genetic experimentation to create humans with animal DNA, called Breeds. The Breeds were tortured, experimented upon and kept in captivity, but eventually escaped. The Council and other groups are trying to capture and/or kill them.

I liked the alpha male hero Braden who was a Breed with lion DNA. The heroine i
Lauren
Megan's Mark
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Megan Fields, an empath who has a hard time shielding herself from the emotions of others, finds solace in the peace and quiet of the New Mexico desert until the day she finds the bodies of two breeds. As a sheriff’s deputy, Megan is partnered with Braden Arness, an arrogant feline assassin, in the search for the killers. Megan and Braden clash in every way but must learn to trust each other because someone is out for Megan’s blood.

Review:
Definite improvement in terms
Pete
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leigh-lora
Megan is an adventurous kick-ass alpha gal packing a lot of weapons as a deputy sheriff with empath powers. Megan is to work with Braden who is an equal alpha which promotes a lot of clashes between them. Both have extrasensory abilities which are complementary.

Sanctuary spies, scientists, and medical folks are all about trying to investigate and dissect Megan’s powers and the influences of Brandon’s bites. The primary and interweaving sub-plot storylines were well done with action, mystery and
Willow Brook
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I've read Megan's Mark and I loved it as much as I did the first time. The plot is fast paced and exciting with not one, but two chase scenes and lots of action as Megan and Braden fight the seriously bad guys together. I really have been rating LL's current books too generously. Megan's Mark is so much better written, with tigher plots, and characters that jump off the page compared to what has come out over the past couple of years. The chemistry between Megan and Brade ...more
Sandra
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a refreshing change! Sure this is a Breeds book so we have a Mating Heat, but this one isn't severe cause our Gal, Megan doesn't deny it like all the others did.

Megan is an empath, she is also a warrior. She's working as a deputy in a remote corner of New Mexico for her cousin, Lance, the Sheriff. New Mexico is just about remote enough so that her empathetic skills can't get her into any more near fatal situations, like back at the police academy.

Send in Braden Arness, lion breed, assassin.
Kerry  sullivan
This was as intense as the rest of the books in this series. I did like that Megan had gifts of her own and that Braden's complimented and made her's stronger. The story was made stronger by the fact that it was confined to the one place for the action.

All of the women who become mates are strong but are restricted somewhat by their mate but this is not the case with Megan she get to be the woman she has always wanted to be, a kick ass law enforcement officer. This book was a little bit longer
Lindap
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I like the main characters, Megan and Braden. I really enjoyed the fact that Megan was no doormat or pushover. She was a hard-ass and she stuck to her guns on what she wanted and expected. Megan's Mark did a better job of furthering the story and bringing out more anti-breed haters. The hate isn't just centered on the average person, but goes way up the chain of command and into politics itself.
Rebekah
Update: reread 1/24/16

What A steamy read! Great addition to the series. I loved the h and H's connection and Megan's ability was amazing to read about.

Tyler Hoechlin | 19 Lingering Gazes That Will Legit Make You Lose Your Train Of Thought
Alex is The Romance Fox
This series just keeps getting better and better.

I loved Braden and Megan's story. Alpha male and kick-ass female........what a "mating".

The more I discover about this Breed world the more I want to know.

What a fabulous and unique world the author has created...and don't I just love the cliffhangers!!!!
Wild_irish_rose
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love how the character work through their differences as they move to become mates. Braden is a strong, arrogant breed and exactly the man for Megan. She is no shrinking violet either and couldn't have been paired with anyone who was a better match. A GREAT read!
Kari Kaz
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liked Braeden, Megan not so much. The mystery was good. This book had more action than actual sex scenes, which was a first for me regarding this series. Looking forward to Jonas' book.
April
Braden is so hot how can he be resisted!! And Megan is one kick a$$ chick!! Loved this book. Great story and plenty of steamy scenes!! A new direction for the breeds series!
Oleta Blaylock
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok so this is the first Breed story published by Berkley. We see more of Jonas and his game playing attitude, Tarek and of course Braden. This is also the first story that Elyiana show up in. She is mentioned in The Breed next Door, but she shows up to take blood work and other samples from Megan and Braden. There is also a discussion between her and Jonas. There are any new Breeds introduced in this book but one of the Council members is killed which is always a good thing. Ms Leigh has a gift ...more
Does any one consider THIS as a book ??? 18 159 Sep 18, 2017 05:33AM
USA Geography Cha...: Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 06:36AM
Paranormal Romanc...: Books like New Species and Breed series 3 179 Dec 15, 2014 05:11AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Recommendation for The Breeds Series 7 138 Sep 30, 2013 03:12PM

• Beyond the Dark (Includes: Tale of the Demon World, #5; Breeds, #10.5; Wolf Breeds, #5)
  • Hot Spell (Demon World, #2; Breeds, #5.5; The Guardians, Prequel)
  • Rescue Me (Includes: T-FLAC, #11.5; Tempting SEALs, #6)
  • A Wish, a Kiss, a Dream (Cowboys and Captives, #2; Dream, #4)
  • Ties That Bind (includes: Bound Hearts, #1)
  • Tempting the Fire (ACRO, #5)
  • Wolf at the Door (The Others, #9)
  • Manaconda (Trek Mi Q'an #6) (Horde Wars #4)
  • The Twelve Quickies of Christmas (Volume 1)
  • Running Wild (Wild,  #1-3)
  • Night Game (GhostWalkers, #3)
  • Rio (Tales of the Shareem, #2)
  • Cat Of A Different Color (Halle Pumas, #3)
  • Wolf Tales II  (Wolf Tales #2)
  • Wolf Unbound (Cascadia Wolves, #3)
Lora Leigh lives in the rolling hills of Kentucky, often found absorbing the ambience of this peaceful setting. She dreams in bright, vivid images of the characters intent on taking over her writing life, and fights a constant battle to put them on the hard drive of her computer before they can disappear as fast as they appeared. Lora’s family, and her writing life co-exist, if not in harmony, in ...more

Breeds (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • The Man Within (Breeds, #2; Feline Breeds, #2)
  • Elizabeth's Wolf (Breeds, #3; Wolf Breeds, #1)
  • Kiss of Heat (Breeds, #4; Feline Breeds, #3)
  • Soul Deep (Breeds, #5; Coyote Breeds, #1)
  • Harmony's Way (Breeds, #7; Feline Breeds, #6)
  • Tanner's Scheme (Breeds, #8; Feline Breeds, #7)
  • Jacob's Faith (Breeds, #9; Wolf Breeds, #3)
  • Aiden's Charity (Breeds, #10; Wolf Breeds, #4)
  • Dawn's Awakening (Breeds, #11; Feline Breeds, #8)
“Hmm, that's not sexual harassment, baby. When I decide to get sexual, trust me, you'll know it.

~ Braden ~”
75 likes
“She had found someone who matched her, a warrior and a shield. A man she could respect; one she could argue with and enjoy. She hadn't wanted to lose that. Hadn't wanted to be alone again.” 3 likes