Start by marking “Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet” as Want to Read:
Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet

Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet

(Action Comics (2016) (Collected Editions) #2)

Writer Dan Jurgens (The Death of Superman) continues his return to the Man of Ste
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published May 30th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Start your review of Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet
Sud666
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The strange new tale of Superman continues in Vol 2. The Superman of this universe is dead, but another Superman from another universe has come to our world. In which there already exists a Clark Kent who is not Superman. Our world remembers Superman but doesn't know that this is another Superman. Lex Luthor is a good guy, sort of, and the "other" Superman has a family and is married to the Lois Lane from the other universe. Did you get all that? Ok then you are on the same frequency as the Afte ...more
James DeSantis
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the last volume more. I'm a sucker for DBZ level fights throughout various different lands. Watching supes and Doomsday battle it out was great. This volume focuses more on Lois and Clark figuring out what the heck is happening.

So we still have two Clarks. Nothing is really answered here. Just the fact this Clark has memories of the Superman Clark but not why he's here, how, or what in general is happening. It's interesting but frustrated. Also we get more into Lois going back into the
RG
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really dissapointed with this one. I feel like superman is really hit and miss for me. Superman adjusts to the Clark Kent of this world and Lois taking over the old Lois' position at the daily planet. I really felt like nothing happened. Jurgens is way to dialgoue happy which Ive never been a massive fan of.
Chad
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first half of the book focuses on the new Clark Kent as Superman tries to figure out who he is. He doesn't. In the second half, we find out what happened to new 52 Lois Lane and post-Crisis Lois steps into her place.

While the art by Patrick Zircher and Stephen Segovia is very good, I don't find the story interesting at all. Psuedo Clark Kent is written as a dick and keeps spouting the same BS story. Jurgens is not a very good writer and it really shows in this book which is dialogue and plo
Danielle
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more on my blog, uncovered-books.

I received a free copy of Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Welcome To The Planet from DC Comics in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was probably the most fluid volume of comic books that I have ever read. Right from the start, everything made sense and it continued like this until the final panel.

After we find out about Lex Luthor becoming the new 'Superman' of Metropolis in the previous volume, we see him in action as 'Superman'. We also
Brendan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Action packed storyline with Doomsday and everyone is shocked that Clarke Kent is still roaming around. This was a fun collection but the Lex Luthor addition was a little over the top. Hopefully it gets better from here.
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I'm getting into this new Superman quite well. Throughout this volume, they pretty much clear up the whole duplicate Supermans, Clark Kents and Lois Lanes. This new Clark Kent who isn't Superman is still a mystery though. I'm not 100% sure how much I *like* this new storyline but it is intriguing and full of mystery. Superwoman makes an appearance and since I haven't read anything about her in Rebirth yet, her identity came as a big shock to me. The book ends with all this being settled for t ...more
Jackie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slowly but surely, DC Comics is finally fixing their Superman problem.
Douglas Gibson
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am so confused, but still loving the ride!
Scott
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I was confused a chunk of the time, the storyline is still sort of uneven, and nothing was really resolved from vol. 1. That said, the Superman / Lois / Jon scenes were a plus (they are definitely an asset in the superior Superman / Rebirth series) and I still hold out hope that things will get really interesting soon. Have to stay positive, right?
Koen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, completely different than the previous volume.. And that's a good thing! I liked the battle, but I'm really getting into the story about the Supermen and -women ;)
Jurgens has me looking forward to the next one for sure!

Josh
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Not a particularly bad Superman book, just bland. Vanilla ice cream.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
“Look--down there on the ground! It's a guy, he's kinda ordinary...it's--Clark Kent?! As Metropolis recovers from the devastating attack of Doomsday, the mysterious figure claiming to be Clark Kent takes the spotlight to clear his name and prove once and for all that Clark Kent is not Superman!”

I have to thank Net galley and DC Entertainment for giving me an opportunity to read this graphic novel.

In Volume 2, the story takes place after the epic battle of Superman with Doomsday. Superman is kil
Wayne McCoy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet' by Dan Jurgens will make you feel really confused if you haven't read Superman for a while, but come on in. The water is fine.

Superman is dead. Clark Kent is alive. Lex Luthor is Superman now. Also, there is a new Superman who is married to Lois Lane and has a son named Jon. That's just the beginning.

The new Superman wants to check out Clark Kent to make sure he isn't Superman in hiding. Lex Luthor really wants Superman's cape so he get
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A nice character-driven book that almost totally reverses course from the excesses of fighting in the previous volume. Instead, three different short stories ask three great questions about the interesting Rebirth status quo: how did Lex get the cape? who is Clark Kent? and what is Lois' role going forward?

With its wide breadth, this volume of Action Comics loses a lot of the family dynamic that was so enjoyable in Jurgens' Lois & Clark, but nonetheless he does a great way of pushing forward the
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This second volume was way better than the first. Putting aside the neverending battles and focusing on Clark Kent's mystery and Lois Lane's next move was a step into the right direction. This is the Dan Jurgens that I like and enjoy so much reading.
It didn't get a solid 5-star because his Jon is a bit off when compared to the one portrayed in the Superman book.
Daniel Butcher
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-rebirth
4.5.

Fun, enjoyable, just a little more payoff needed.

Part of me feels like they are arranging to everyone's preferred state of Superman by Action 1000.
Emmett Spain
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A good volume, but not hugely memorable for me, except for the distinction of having a couple of Lois-centric issues at the end. I’m definitely pleased with how Superman is written, though. Rebirth has already exceeded the New 52 for me.
Stabbing
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, dc-rebirth
Read as single issue comics. Better than volume one.
Adam Graham
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a bit of a challenge for trade readers. Comics these days are often "written for the trades" so that each block of six or seven issues fits nicely into a trade paperback as an epic storyline. This one doesn't. We get Issue 52 of the New 52 Justice league combined with Issues 963-966 of Action Comics. You don't get any resolution from any of this. Questions are explored but nothing's resolved, but you at least feel the stories are going somewhere.

The book kicks off with, "That Which
Will Robinson Jr.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am going to warn all readers you must read Superman: Lois and Clark, Superman: The Final Days of Superman, Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Path of Doom& maybe DC Universe: Rebirth #1 to get a clear picture at the direction this volume is going. I hope this will not intimidate new readers from jumping into this volume of Action comics. Dan Jurgens does a great job of catching readers up on what has happened proceeding this volume. I felt that the inclusion of Lex Luther's self imposed taking ...more
Wing Kee
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm torn.

World: The art is fine, the art has a retro quality to it that I both enjoy but also don't like, as I said, I'm torn. The colors are also flat in some cases but stunning in others (Superwoman comes to mind). The world building is still fairly interesting and intriguing. With the changed status quo of Lex as Superman, Human Clark and DCU Lois and Clark the dynamic is good and the mystery is something I enjoying, even if it's a bit tacky at the same time.

Story: The human Clark issues we
Fahim Ahmed
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Clark story was good. Loved the Lois story, and at this point it just goes without saying that writer Dan Jurgens simply 'gets' these characters. The art is decent enough, though I highly prefer Superman's art. Action Comics may be lesser Supes book, having said that the character has never been in a better place for the 5 years that I've been reading comics. Hey at least it's better than Batman that's getting slayed by Detective week in and week out.
Norman Cook
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The mystery deepens of how Superman and Clark Kent can be separate people. Meanwhile, Superman, Lois, and their son, Jon, continue their efforts to adjust to their new world. I got the sense that all this is mostly a set-up for better character development and action to come. Not horrible, by any means, but not really that exciting, either.

Note: I read this as individual comic book issues.
Emmanuel Nevers
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Way better than volume in my opinion. This one gives you a bunch of smaller story arcs dealing with how Superman and Lois are adapting to the rebirth/new 52 continuity. I loved it!
Lestat
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am always stunned when I get comic books by the Big 2 off Netgalley; now I'm beginning to think this is not a compliment but an insult.

I don't know where to start with this volume. I'm not an avid follower of comics, and timelines, storylines and general chronology escapes me. Despite this being the second part to Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Path of Doom, I still haven't understood the central premise of Superman leaving Earth with his family to set up shop on a parallel Earth. I know I
Robert
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
SSShafiq
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
These stories are the promised wrap-up on a number of story threads which were introduced in the
Superman: The Final Days of Superman, Superman: Lois and Clark, and Volume 1. A working knowledge of these volumes is recommended otherwise nothing in this will make much sense. Most of the comics deal with the new Super-people and Clark Kent. It felt like a transition volume where we leave the New 52 behind and head into Rebirth full steam ahead. Some of the New 52 pieces get left behind and the Re
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chris
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-dc
It sometimes gets a bit draining when DC (or Marvel) make these world altering changes and have to spend a great deal of time retconning everything. It happened when Dick Grayson came back to life, they had to find a way to make everyone forget knowing that Dick was Nightwing. It was relatively smooth, but it sometimes derails a whole book when they do it.

In this book it mostly revolves around the New 52 Superman and Lois Lane. What's to be done when there are two of them? The Superman question
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Flash, Vol. 1: Lightning Strikes Twice
  • Super Sons, Volume 2: Planet Of The Capes
  • The Flash, Vol. 3: Rogues Reloaded
  • Justice League, Vol. 1: The Extinction Machines
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more

Action Comics (2016) (Collected Editions) (8 books)
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Path of Doom