Start by marking “Fort-Building Time” as Want to Read:
Fort-Building Time

Fort-Building Time

Published October 10th 2017 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fort-Building Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fort-Building Time

Manybooks
Megan Wagner Lloyd's Fort-Building Time is indeed and for all intents and purposes a sweet enough poetic little paean to the four seasons, rhythmically, pleasurably capturing their many potential joys (and of course also repeatedly pointing out that forts can be built in the winter, in the spring, in the summer and in the autumn, and that ergo, every season is fort-building time). However, I personally do very much think that the author's, that Megan Wagner Lloyd's featured and presented text, w ...more
Kathryn
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I expected this book to be more *active* in terms of showing children actively engaged in *building* forts. Instead, we see some really beautiful forts *after* they have been built and we see the children enjoying being in/around/on the forts. It's clear the children built the forts, but we don't see anything of the construction process until the final pages of the book for only one fort out of the five shown.

That said, I did really enjoy the book for what it is: a celebration of the seasons an
La Coccinelle
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Fort-Building Time is a simple book about a group of friends building forts throughout the year. When the book begins, it's just three of them building a snow fort in the winter. But as the seasons progress, new friends are added and by end of the book, there are seven friends playing the fort-building game.

The setup kind of reminded me of The Quiet Book with all of its descriptive words for each season. As such, there's no real story, per se. There's just a bunch of kids doing various activitie
Kate Olson
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FORT-BUILDING TIME is an absolutely delightful and lyrical story about the fun of creation and playing outdoors throughout the seasons. The illustrations are whimsical and filled with detail, and the text itself is artwork in itself. This title is a required purchase for elementary libraries and will be a perfect storytime read for primary grades.

Thanks to the author and publisher for providing me with a review copy of this title.
KC
A bit too much text but darling illustrations.
Barbara
Lively illustrations, created with watercolor and colored pencil and then finished digitally, complement text that pays tribute to the delights of building a fort with one's friends. As readers will see from the text, any season is just right for building a fort, no matter what materials are being used to do so. There's probably nothing more exciting for youngsters to build these temporary structures where they can have some privacy to do what they want to do. And if the fort happens to fall, so ...more
Jessica
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the chance to review this title. All opinions are my own!

While I love to see children engaged in organized sports and activities, nothing warms this teacher's heart quite like creativity and imaginative play. Fort Building Time celebrates the idea that children can make their own joy! The characters design different forts all year long, based on the time of year. The charming illustrations and text reinforce seasonal concepts. This book will make a
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dot-eyes
A lot of color, but mostly used for the effect of vomiting all over the page. Illustrator uses a hackneyed style that can be found in half the picture books published in the last five years. The physical portrayal of the figures is not realistic. The text is boring, running the same forced construction into the ground.
Cheryl
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!

The children seem a little older than I am accustomed to in picture-books like this... and the only 'blanket' forts any of us ever built were only appropriate for preschoolers... but that makes this book all the more charming. Why shouldn't 'big kids' make more elaborate and fantastical forts with their friends? I love all the details in the pictures, and the poetical language, too.

Note that the little sister isn't old enough to play with the gang until Fall, but then is welcomed b
Donalyn
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great word choice mentor text.
Beverly
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think it is a charming book. I thought the illustrations were very appealing, and captured all the fun of making different types of forts through the year.
Kimberly
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! I love the illustrations, which show children exuberantly enjoying the outdoors in every season and--you guessed it--building all sorts of cool forts.
Ellen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Great book for word choice!
Tori
This colorful book explains, season by season, why it's always fort-building time. The rhythmic descriptions of each season's virtues pair well with the illustrations of happy children enjoying various outdoor activities from snowball-throwing in winter to sandcastle-shaping in summer.
This would work well for any kind of STEM storytime with an engineering theme. Follow it up with a fort-building activity using a few old blankets or a storytime parachute and some cardboard boxes. It will be a hi
Erin Buhr
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this colorful, vibrant story about friends, seasons, and fort building. Certain to inspire you to run outside and start building your own fort, no matter the season.
Ashley Adkins
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Absolutely loved the art inside of this book! My boys are huge fort builders so we enjoyed reading this one. When I thought of "fort building" before I read this book I immediately thought of inside forts however, this books changed my outlook on that. I do think a image from inside of the book would have made better cover art that was is on the cover. I loved the font of the words and the style of the art but I wasn't a huge fan of the format of the story though the repetitiveness is probably g ...more
Marissa Elera
This is delightfully illustrated book about a timeless childhood pastime. It doesn't have as much story or substance as I hoped for, but will still appeal to many children.
Elizabeth
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It introduces the seasons and how you can use your creativity and imagination during any of them. Well done!
Kary
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stem, storytime, prek
Might be able to use this for a STEM storytime. Afterwards, kids could design a fort with cardboard, or a small scale fort with planks or pretty much any building material.
Christine Turner
Grab your blankets and pillows! From the creators of Finding Wild, a new picture book that follows the changing of the seasons and is as cozy as a fort. Winter, spring, summer, fall. Each season brings new materials to make the perfect fort. From leaves to snow, from mud to sand, there is a different fort throughout the year. As a group of friends explore and build through the seasons, they find that every fort they make is a perfect fort.

Notes
Megan Wagner Lloyd lives in Washington, D.C., with h
Tasha
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Celebrate the seasons through play in this picture book that has different forts built by kids throughout the year. Winter starts the book with an ice and snow fort made merry with pine boughs for seating, berries and branches for decorations. Spring has a quiet fort filled with books to read, a cozy blanket hung between trees. Summer takes the fort to the beach with driftwood, towels, starfish and snacks. The fall fort is up in the changing trees with leaves falling all around. But sometimes fo ...more
Jo-ann Walsh
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner
Thank you to @kidlitexchange for the review copies of this picture book. All opinions are my own.
Fort Building Time is an adorable picture book for young children. No matter the season, and no matter the place, it can always be fort-building time! Whether you are making snowmen, hunting for daffodils, building sandcastles, or chasing the leaves through the woods, it is fort-building time!
I love how the bright and cheery pictures bring each season and fort-building time t
Summer
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love everything about this book from opening its inviting cover to the moment that you’re near the end and the kids are already pulling the sheets off their bed and from the linen cupboard so they can build a fort. Journey through the seasons, a snowball-throwing, ice-sliding, fort-building winter, a daffodil-hunting, rainbow-finding, fort-building spring, a sun-sizzling, picnic-eating, fort-building summer, a leaf-chasing, poem-writing, fort-building autumn. Yes, fort building is an all year ...more
Kat Harrison
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Journey through the four seasons with FORT-BUILDING TIME and explore what each time of year brings--from a child's perspective--through Lloyd's very lyrical, sing-song prose. What the story lacks in plot and character development, it makes up for in evoking a mood. This book would be a great pick as a prompt for classroom writing exercises, where students could come up with their own version of a season using Lloyd's writing style (for instance: summer for me is a time for iced coffee-chugging, ...more
Jana
Building forts is one of those activities that just about every kid has tried at least one time or another. So this charming picture book will definitely be one that kids can relate to. The poetic text and warm, inclusive illustrations take readers through each of the seasons by listing the fun things to do, and each season includes fort-building! This could be a terrific mentor text to help young writers describe the seasons in their own way.
Kalynda
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Granted I was the type that was an indoor fort builder, with couch cushions, pillows, blankets, etc. but I could still relate to this great fort building book...a fort for every season! I love how the different raw materials that the seasons and seasonal locations provide, created different forts, each constructed out of what was available. We need to explore of those, what's available, creative opportunities. (As a bonus, the descriptive language, layout like poetry was fantastic!).
Erin
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. #kidlitexchange #partner

This book is beautiful and I love everything about it. Fort-Building Time takes you through the seasons in lyrical prose to encourage creative play. Boy, did I need this right about now as I sit here with the gazillionth day in a row of subzero temperatures. Plus, the gorgeous illustrations of quilts weren’t missed by this quilt-making mama.
Beverly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walk through the seasons and discover the best activities for each one. Obviously, building a fort is always an acceptable activity. The illustrations are colorful and happy...it just made me smile when I read this.
Traci Escher
Fort building in every season with kids of all sorts inspired my preschool storytime folks to imagine and plan the forts they plan to build when they get home. Whimsical illustrations and lyrical prose make this a favorite!
Debra
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts, picture-book
Growing up building blanket forts and now assisting with building forts with my grandchildren, I just loved this book. For every season there is a fort, whether it is made out of blankets or snow. Gather your team and your imagination and see what you can build.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • It's Tough to Lose Your Balloon
  • Plant the Tiny Seed
  • Welcome Home, Bear: A Book of Animal Habitats
  • Ninja Boy Goes to School
Megan Wagner Lloyd is the author of Finding Wild, Fort-Building Time, and Building Books. Upcoming titles include the picture books Paper Mice and The ABCs of Catching Zs as well as the graphic novel Allergic. She lives with her family in the Washington, D.C. area.

(Wondering why all my read books on my shelves are highly rated? Because I only put my favorite books on Goodreads. Since I'm an author