Start by marking “The Sale of a Lifetime: How the Great Bubble Burst of 2017 Can Make You Rich” as Want to Read:
The Sale of a Lifetime: How the Great Bubble Burst of 2017 Can Make You Rich

The Sale of a Lifetime: How the Great Bubble Burst of 2017 Can Make You Rich

Having spent over three decades studying cycles, Harry Dent recognizes they all have the same characteristics. They all have hierarchies. They all have seasons. And they all bubble up and end in a terrible burst. As Harry writes in his newest, most through-proving and insightful book The Sale of a Lifetime, we’ve been in the economic winter season since 2008 and “it’s ...more
Published September 2016 by Dent Research

To ask other readers questions about The Sale of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sale of a Lifetime

Start your review of The Sale of a Lifetime: How the Great Bubble Burst of 2017 Can Make You Rich
John Dickinson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
The author 'appears' that he knows his stuff. But he doesn't cite any of his sources that I absolutely am unable to tell how credible this book is or if it's just a huge scam.

If his stats and data are indeed correct, then this book is a very good history of the trends of economic bubbles and collapses in the United States as well as a good forewarning of the future financial doom soon to hit us.

But if his data is false, then the entire book is a waste not worth the read.

However I will admit
Colette
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

This was a pretty quick read. A lot of it is the history of cycles that Dent uses to predict economic events, which I found quite interesting. About 2/3 of the way through I started thinking his many many charts were starting to get detrimental to his argument. Maybe I didn't understand them, but some of them seemed to be less convincing than what he indicated in his text. I am certainly no economics master. It picked up again in the last large section. If you are looking for detailed
D.L. Morrese
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was immediately put off by the tone of this book. It reads like an annoying infomercial, with lots of self-congratulation, dire warnings. 'get-rich' promises, and vague references to data that don't seem to say what the author says they say. The 'analysis' seems more like a case of searching for correlations between high level data, assuming they somehow imply causation, and jumping to conclusions about how relevant it is to current situations. There may be some bits of sound advice here, but ...more
Yuri Valeriano
Feb 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't heard of the author before I began to read the book, but decided to research him better while I read it. Harry S. Dent Jr is frequently preaching the economic apocalypse using as a main argument the shift in demographic around the world. He is frequently wrong about his predictions and makes a lot of noise when he is able to "get it right". But of course he eventually gets it right, if anybody says that it will rain every single day, eventually the person will be right because ...more
Natasia Angel
This book can be quite open-minded.

However, with many things in life, this book must be taken with a grain of salt. Harry predicted the fall will start from the end of 2016. It is 2018. The market was bullish until the beginning of 2018, then things went wrong because of one effing orange thing, I suppose.

I need to read the next book, which would be 'Zero Hour'.
Greg Strandberg
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
If you think the economy isn't working, you'll agree with a lot of this book. If you think things are fine, then you probably won't.

I didn't read the whole book - it's much better for skimming. The large amount of graphs helps with that. That's one of the beauty's of this book - all this information presented in easy-to-read graph format. Besides that you get tons of stats in percentage form.

For instance, "US private debt as % of GDP fell from 150% to 50% after 1929." (p 209)

In China, "between
Monita  Mehra
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monita by: Mr. Dev Yadava
In case one wants to understand on cycles and how it keeps repeating itself again and again. A cycle can even last a decade, interesting interpretation to many existing cycles. Simple logic, like the sun what goes up and then comes down, so will everything in the economy and financial markets, go up and come down, the question is when and how. The faster the up move, probably the quicker the down move.
An astute investor has to keep oneself open and keep looking for when winter is arriving and
Arniel Sia
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Concepts! Boring Details...

This group has great ideas and explains very well, with some very persuasive charts, what bubbles are, how to spot them, and how to benefit from them. I would have rated it 5 stars, but a majority of the book was spent reiterating previous concepts to death.

After reading through the first few major chapters, I suggest reading the first page or so of the following chapters and skimming to the end. If you find yourself in one of the situations mentioned, you can
Anton Nikolov
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Some interesting thoughts based on the cycles that we all can notice but to me it seems a bit too pessimistic. OK, book looking into the financial stock market history and trying to make sense of it based on demographics and other variables that potentially could be predicted and therefore help you make clever decisions on the stock market.

Just checked some of the predictions in the book for this year 2017 and can't say they came to be. So it speaks that things are not that predictable as the
Yury Moskaltsov
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting book about the demographic cycles and their influence on market but nothing more than that.

Too much boasting about how great of an analyst he is.

Also I randomly compared a few charts in his book to the real ones and they seem a bit off. For example, Dow Jones chart.

If you are into easy reading high level economic review then it is for you, but I would suggest to do more research before you rely on Harry Dent’s suggestions.
Natalie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is clearly not super accurate, since it is already 2018, but I do think the bubble burst will be sometime in the next couple years. Some of his stuff is super well-researched and interesting, and some of his stuff (like the sun spots stuff) seems like total quackery. I have mixed feelings about this book.
Philip
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Dent outlines the 4 cycles that shape our world's economic growth, how governmental stimuli affected the economy in diverse countries and how investors/business owners can benefit of deflations and economical crashes. Worth reading for politicians, entrepreneurs and real estate/ capital market investors! (book recommended due to lots of charts and statistical data)
Herald van der Linde
Where is the analysis?

Not a lot of in-depth demographic analysis and links to equity markets are sometimes confusing. But here and there some interesting stats and analysis. Easy to read, though.
Evan Stratton
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Certainly food for thought. There are some ideas presented that have concerned me for a time - particularly the impact of the boomers leaving the workforce and spending less. His point that people drive economies is an important thought to consider.
Will Rodrguez
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has really good history information. I knew 90% of what he explained from another source. It will only happened once In my life time so it's time to get ready for it....
Kenn Reff
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hisotry was good, but dated information about what investments to make now.
Toni
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important book to get a grasp of how and why economical cycles are made. Would recommend to anyone at least somewhat interested in finance/investing/global economics
Lenny
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, but Dent is so prone to the confirmation bias that he's completely blind to his own failed predictions in the past. A serial predictor with a God complex.
Diljo Johny
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good to understand emerging markets trends and bubble history around the world.
Tuấn Anh
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read the Vietnamese version. The book provides interesting information about the types of cycles and forecasts.
Carl Vidal
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's just depressing to read. Let's hope this is wrong
Douglas
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book approaches predicting the future based on recurring cycles, especially based on demographics. It provides an interesting and useful perspective to a well rounded investor.
Bogumil K Baranowski
Phenomenal book!

Eye-opening! Optimistic doomsday book! The author may be stating the obvious yet still most of us refuse to see it! Hard to put down, great read.
Nick Imrie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The predictions of dire economic crash in this book would be scarier if they weren't all for 2016/2017.

On the other hand, the discussion of demographic cycles was fascinating.
Ben Azadi
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like watching a shocking & heart wrenching, only if the author is correct with his predictions this will be a scary real life from years 2017-2023, but not if you are on the right side of it. Harry S. Dent. has studied the economy for over 30 years, and he's been accurate with his predictions so I'm confident in him. His latest prediction has me making several moves to stay away of what's about to happen in the world. This is a MUST read for every single person in the ...more
Julio Cesar Nino
Now you see it now you don't.

I recommend this book to all humanity!!
Thank you Mr. Dent for helping me understand the four seasons of economics. Thank you for writing this book! Now is my turn to be Wealthy & Ultra Rich! The best part about it is that I get to share it with those around my community!
Adam
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book commendation from my Dad.

Nuggets of Truth:

Bubbles don't correct, they burst
Markets can drop faster then you can react
China is the disney land of over building
It's a collection of my life's recipies
Bubbles are like financial orgasms
Erika Molyneux
Apr 27, 2018
Dat
Aug 13, 2018
James Cloyd
Aug 10, 2018

• The Road to Ruin: The Global Elite's Secret Plan for the Next Financial Crisis
  • Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos
  • The New Case for Gold
  • The Real Crash
  • Mastering the Market Cycle: Getting the Odds on Your Side
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis
  • Big Debt Crises
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • The Internet of Money
  • How the Economy Works: Confidence, Crashes and Self-Fulfilling Prophecies
  • Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
  • Zero Hour: Turn The Greatest Political And Financial Upheaval In Modernhistory To Your Advantage
  • Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
  • Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth
  • The Mueller Report: Presented with Related Materials by The Washington Post
  • The Big Secret for the Small Investor: The Shortest Route to Long-Term Investment Success
  • Payback Time!
Harry S. Dent, Jr. (born 1950) is an American financial newsletter writer.

Dent writes an economic newsletter that reviews the economy in the US and around the world through demographic trends focusing on predictable consumer spending patterns, as well as financial markets, and has written several books.