Start by marking “White Line Fever: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
White Line Fever: The Autobiography

White Line Fever: The Autobiography

Medically speaking, Lemmy should be dead.

After years of notorious excess, his blood would kill another human being. This is the story of the heaviest drinking, most oversexed speed freak in the music business.

Ian Fraser Kilmister was born on Christmas Eve, 1945. Learning from an early age that chicks really do appreciate a guy with a guitar, and inspired by the music of
Published January 1st 2004 by Citadel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about White Line Fever, please sign up.
Fred Fomm I bloody wonder how does Ian Fraser Kilmister's bio fall into the 'Education' category
Craig White Line Fever. Very honest and in places very funny. Lem is a legend.

Start your review of White Line Fever: The Autobiography
James Specht
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've read a whole bunch of trashy rock star autobiographies, and this one stands above the rest. While you do get liberal doses of drugs, fucking, and other rock antics, what separates this one from the pack is Lemmy genuinely seems like a good guy. Sure, he's a bad ass and he can out drink/snort anyone, but he doesn't act like he needs to prove it to you. Also, he forgoes a lot of the trash talk a lot of these books have. Lemmy doesn't need to put others down to make himself look good. Even ...more
East Bay J
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Motorhead, Hawkwind, Lemmy and anyone into the rebellious spirit of rock n' roll
Shelves: music-bios
Lemmy rules. This book is incredible. I devoured it. Read it in no time because it’s interesting as hell. It’s well told. I wish it were twice as long. Lemmy’s story in Lemmy’s words is brilliant. It’s true folklore, history being passed down by oral tradition.

The man has a knack for story telling and he has some fine stories to tell. Of course there are tales of drugs, girls, clubs, promoters, constabulary officials, recording engineers, record labels, defections, new recruits, crashes, burns
Ryan Werner
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fun, quick read for anyone interested in the music of Hawkwind or Motorhead, White Line Fever is Lemmy Kilmister being as honest and goofy as one would think.

Lemmy hates the longbox packaging of CDs from the early 90s. He brings it up three times over the course of his 2002 autobiography White Line Fever (Citadel, 0806525908), and while he’s not as scatterbrained and God-sized as David Lee Roth (Crazy From the Heat) or as into faux-debauchery as Motley Crue (The Dirt), it’s these repeated
Lea
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was very offensive (not sure what's worse, the anti-feminist & -vegetarianism sentiments or the astrology talk!), but hugely entertaining. One of the best autobiographies I've read. It's like he's sitting across from you and just talking and joking away. You don't have to be a big Motörhead fan to enjoy this one, just being interested in music and people would be enough.
Godzilla
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, music, 2011
I was left slightly disappointed by this autobiography - I expected more tales of on the road experiences than lemmy recounts in this book.

A recurring theme was the fact that no-one is able to maintain the pace for Motorhead, which I can believe, but gets a bit dull after several repetitions.

There are some interesting insights, particularly in the way that Motorhead record, and the tribulations of record contracts and labels doing the dirty on them.

I guess I expected more salaciousness than the
Mike
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Lemmy is smarter than you'd expect, and pretty funny at times. He doesn't exactly paint himself in the most positive light but he's also self-confident and unapologetic. He's also brutally honest about other musicians, and his own struggles with drugs and alcohol. I was surprised by how open he was about his use of speed.
Lemmy pretty much did it all in his career and somehow lived to tell the tale.

{updating this since his death was just announced}

I heard an interview with him a bit earlier in
Nosmo
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Summary: "So I meet this geezer, not a sissy like they are nowadays, and we do a bunch of speed together while I'm shagging his bird (but back to rock and roll eh?). The longbox CD trend was a bad idea. Here are my thoughts on 9/11."

I love Lemmy, I love Motorhead and I love music autobiographies, but this reads like a compilation of Penthouse letters sent to Kerrang! magazine.
Jessica T.
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
R.I.P. Lemmy.
Chris King
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the most half-assed autobiography I've ever read. You get as much out of it as you would sitting around drinking with the guy. And it's written just about that coherently. Avoid.
Dave
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Lemmy’s rock n roll story. I’m sad that he is no longer with us. But no surprises here. Some funny stories though.
Neil Kernohan
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I galloped through this cracking yarn in a couple of sittings. It's written in a fast paced conversational style, almost as if Lemmy is sitting right beside you telling his stories over a glass of Jack Daniels and coke. As rock biographies go it's fairly unbeatable for dry humour, razor sharp wit and astute observations about the music business.
Lemmy begins his tale with an observation about the Christian faith of his parents, one of whom was a preacher who deserted the family when he was just
Ben
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: speed freaks, the hearing impaired
Recommended to Ben by: Rod McKuen
Very much an oral history, sort of like several nights in a pub listening to the rantings of one of the more entertaining characters you've ever met, who you're also not going to interrupt. Very, very funny, not surprising if you've ever read or heard an interview with Lemmy, and packed with interesting tidbits about life in the fast lane of the twilight zone.

He's opinionated as hell but impressively even-handed in assessments of fellow musicians and other deranged individuals he has
Cristina
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Of course, when you die, you become more brilliant by about fifty-eight per cent. You sell more records and you become absolutely wonderful – ‘Man, what a pity we didn’t buy any of his records while he was alive, but still . . .’ I’m sure that’s where I’m going – ‘How about Motörhead? What a brilliant band. If only we’d seen them . . .’

I am happy to say I did see them live and it was absolutely amazing. I have seen quite a few bands in my life and Motörhead is one of the best (actually only
Benjamin Kahn
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
An amusing read. I later read that Lemmy thought the book wasn't very good, didn't have much to do with him, and was a bit of a whitewash. That's probably good because I've read other Motorhead books with extensive quotes from Lemmy and a little Lemmy goes a long way. Kudos to his ghost writer - he did a hell of a job.
Carlos Claure Soruco
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think it’s the best rock star autobiography I’ve ever read, Lemy is truly a legend, and this book is a proof of that. You can feel pure honesty and it’s so fun to read from begging to end, you just don’t want it to finish.
Stella Ofarrell
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Never been a Motorhead fan so was most enlightening to know there's more than Ace of Spades. Left me sad that I'll never experience the madness of one of the shows, because they sounded like something you'd never forget.
Top geezer
Jonathan Dennis
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Starts well and is entertaining but gets quite wearing by the end.
Brian Carlin
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
More PVC than PC. More leather than lather. Reassuringly sexist throughout in a blokey , cursey chummy way.
Elenath
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't really know much except 'Ace of Spades', but this book is an amazing portrayal of the music world back in the day. Stuff like taking someone into a band just because he has the gear - you won't really see it these days. :)) Loved every bit of it.
hattie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's a sentence in the epilogue of this book which perfectly captures why we love Lemmy and what he represented:

"A man who was a lifestyle and made it OK for you to live yours without judgement."

This is what made reading his own words such a joy.
Brian Lucko
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Lemmy in his own words...a wonderful autobiography.

Sad ending with the updated version, though.
Arzu
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best memoirs I've ever read. Lemmy is a legend indeed. The book is different than the other memoirs I've read as it feels like Lemmy is right there, telling his stories and jumping from one memory to another. I laughed out loud a lot while reading it and will read it again for sure.
James
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was about halfway through this when Lemmy died, which offered me a bit of an object lesson. Reading a book like this with a living Lemmy, I was frequently hit with the urge to strike up a fistfight with the man. Because, let's be honest, he had some seriously stupid opinions on a wide range of issues, and while he might have been more in-your-face and honest about what he was than your average civilian, that just made his blind spots and pretensions more grating. Then he was gone, and I felt ...more
Ashley
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD!!!! And we play Rock'n'Roll!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING LOUDER THEN EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!

Went to see Motörhead just a few months ago (before Lemmys untimely demise!)
Anthrax opened for them, it was at the Filmore Detroit (the old State Theater) WAS A GREAT SHOW!!!! We stood in line for about an hour, met a really kool couple and hung with them, got in watched the show. Anthrax kicked it off great!! But we could tell something was not right with Lemmys, we knew about the Texas show 3
Ross Cumming
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a fan of Lemmy or of his band Motörhead but I've always been intrigued by him and really wanted to find out more about him. I would have seen him play live with Hawkwind way back in the early seventies but couldn't have told you at the time who he was !
This is not a work of great literature but feels more like being down the pub chatting to Lemmy while he tells you his life story with lots of anecdotes and asides thrown in for good measure. His life from an early age appears
Leo Horovitz
Lemmy presents an hilarious tale of drugs and parties, while always staying focused on the most important subject: the music. All the different bands he's been a part of, met, collaborated with, and been inspired with is what takes up the bulk of the book. Drugs, parties and women is also there all the time, but only ever as an aside, as something that comes along with the rock n' roll lifestyle. There is never any question that what drives Lemmy to go on is the music itself, not the money and ...more
Justin Sylvia
When i picked up this book somewhere on the cape, i didn't expect anything less and i wasn't disappointed. Lemmy was straight up with every little detail ranging from his drug & alcohol use during the various incarnations of Motorhead. He also didn't hold anything back when he gave his honest opinion about the various record labels, band members, tour managers, etc. If he didn't like someone, then he definitely let you know it in this book. Also he admits that there are some things that to ...more
Nick Black
Jun 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Nick by: xorl http://xorl.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/...
heh, i had white line fever once, too. had it for a few years!

Motörhead!!

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You win some, lose some, it's - all - the same to me
The pleasure is to play, it makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
The Ace Of Spades
The Ace Of Spades

Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all a game to me,
Seven or Eleven, snake eyes watching you,
Double up or quit, double stakes or split,
The Ace Of
Andy
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: metal gods
Recommended to Andy by: Rainbow Bar & Grill denizens
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Heavy metal has had it share of wild characters: Ozzy Osbourne, David Lee Roth, Tommy Lee, but none of them have written an autobiography as entertaining as Lemmy's. Why? Probably because he's enjoyed a more seasoned history than the others, playing prog rock with Hawkwind, cutting vicious sides for Stiff Records during the '77 punk era (Damned, Larry Wallis, etc.), and of course making his mark with the fabulous Motorhead.
The wit and candor Lemmy displays through the book never fails to
Dan
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Certain people seem born truly destined to take on a particular role in life. If you are lucky, you have the foresight to follow the path that this fate has picked for you. And if you are VERY lucky, your specific lot in life is one that brings you bliss.
That's Lemmy.
This man has spent over 40 years in the rock and roll business. I am not talking about the lap of luxury rock and roll "lifers" such as the Rolling Stones, whose idea of being a rock star includes million dollar homes in Tuscany
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
  • It's So Easy: And Other Lies
  • Tommyland
  • The Long Hard Road Out of Hell
  • Tattoos & Tequila: To Hell and Back with One of Rock's Most Notorious Frontmen
  • Scar Tissue
  • Living Like a Runaway
  • A History of Heavy Metal
  • Off the Rails
  • Iggy Pop: Open Up and Bleed
“...the Beatles were hard men too. Brian Epstein cleaned them up for mass consumption, but they were anything but sissies. They were from Liverpool, which is like Hamburg or Norfolk, Virginia--a hard, sea-farin' town, all these dockers and sailors around all the time who would beat the piss out of you if you so much as winked at them. Ringo's from the Dingle, which is like the f***ing Bronx. The Rolling Stones were the mummy's boys--they were all college students from the outskirts of London. They went to starve in London, but it was by choice, to give themselves some sort of aura of disrespectability. I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles--not for humour, not for originality, not for songs, not for presentation. All they had was Mick Jagger dancing about. Fair enough, the Stones made great records, but they were always s**t on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear.” 36 likes
“...what happened in New York and Washington is the same thing that England and America did to Berlin every day for three years during World War II -- and Germany did the same thing to England.” 20 likes