Start by marking “A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader” as Want to Read:
A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader

A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader

In these pages, some of today’s most wonderful culture-makers—writers, artists, scientists, entrepreneurs, and philosophers—reflect on the joys of reading, how books broaden and deepen human experience, and the ways in which the written word has formed their own character. On the page facing each letter, an illustration by a celebrated illustrator or graphic artist present ...more
Published December 14th 2018 by Enchanted Lion Books

To ask other readers questions about A Velocity of Being, please sign up.
David McKenna It's not a young childrens book by any means. The topics and things discussed are mostly above little kids. A lot of the authors come across as people…moreIt's not a young childrens book by any means. The topics and things discussed are mostly above little kids. A lot of the authors come across as people who were lonely or isolated, and books helped them. These are fairly teenaged sentiments. From an age standpoint I think it's not wrong for a teenager.(less)

Start your review of A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader
Dave Schaafsma
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Above is Maria Popova’s Brainpickings piece about her and Claudia Bedrick’s book about the joys and importance of reading, A Velocity of Being: Letters to Young Readers, a beautiful and huge, 280-page hardcover brick of a book compiled over eight years or more through their asking dozens of leading people in the public sphere—many of them not surprisingly writers—about the way reading had been central in the shaping of their lives (no one said it hadn’t be
Hannah
While I was only able to read excerpts from this book, what I did read (and the illustrations that complement the text) completely blew me away. We are living in a time in which learning, understanding, and empathy are urgently needed “to keep our very humanity alive.” Books open doors, provide refuge, create connections, and reflect acceptance. Odes to books and reading are myriad and can often become monotonous and hollow, but each excerpt I read in this collection sings with unique truth and ...more
Joel
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
Everyone, at any stage of their reading journey, needs to read this book! I started marking pages with particular letters that I wanted to remember and share with friends, family and students, but too quickly I ran out of post it notes. This is a book I will continue coming back to for affirmations and inspiration. The beautiful and fascinating artwork complements each letter perfectly. This book reminds me that I am very fortunate to be a school librarian.
Elizabeth A
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, kids-ya, art, 2019
I am a reader, and have been one for as long as I can remember. I made it my mission to "turn" my nieces and nephews into readers, as none of them had parents who read. Mission accomplished.

The reason I share this is so you'll know that I'm unable to be even the slightest bit objective about this book. I love it, and if money was no object would gift one to every home and classroom and library on the planet. It's a collection of letters that adults - some I knew and some I hadn't heard off - al
Marie Antoinette
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I wish i had this book when i was a kid.

When we are kids, is easy to believe that dreams come true, is easy to daydream because we don't know better, so rules and expectations do not apply to us. The only thing we need is our imagination and everything is possible.

But at some point we stop being kids.

"A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader" is a 250 page love letter to the kid we used to be, written and illustrated by people whose character has been shaped by a life of reading.

I ho
Angelina
A wonderful, heartwarming collection of (love) letters & illustrations that presents reading in all its glory. The book itself is made with love and great attention to detail. (Don't miss the final note about 'endpaper'.)
A must for every bookworm at heart.
Lyubina Litsova
Reading broadens the mind, heightens the senses, and enlivens the spirit. It gives us hope, drive and inspiration. Make it a habit, give it unrestricted access to your imagination, and you will be presented with opportunities and possibilities beyond your wildest dreams…
And when you get the opportunity to travel, take a book with you. Books can be wonderful teachers, saviors during wait times, and companions on the road. Plus, they often hold memories of where you have been, recalling experience
Amanda
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful love letter to reading, books, and readers. Perfect for anyone in a reading slump, this will instantly make you want to jump into a new book. The art is gorgeous and the letters and illustrations are from a mix of fascinating people I have and haven’t heard of.
Judy  Monchuk
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This magical book is described as "letters to a young reader" but really it's for everyone: from book lovers to those who consider reading not worth their time or effort. Of any age.
It me cry, it made me laugh, it made me gasp and it made me think. A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader is a treasure chest filled with letters written by culture makers (writers, creators, philosophers, a Holocaust survivor) with each beautifully illustrated by artists and animators. All involved have had
Katarina Szulenyiova
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No matter what I write would do this book a justice.

It is exquisite, from its very own physical presence (the weight, the smell of the pages, the texture of the spine) to the content itself. It has been a long long time since I have been so absorbed by a mere interaction with the book, and the beauty of it immediately transported me back to my childhood memories. Remind me again why all adult books aren't illustrated?

A Velocity of Being brought tears to my eyes, made me laugh out loud and brou
Ellen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Glorious. Spectacular. As a bookstore mama, I’d even go so far as to say that this book should be considered a publishing event. Though it was a late addition, I’d give it a proud spot in my top 5 of 2018. Also, if you don’t already follow Maria Popova on Brain Pickings, please do. It’s the smartest blog around, if I may.
Jane Glossil
When readers unite to declare their love for reading and the transformative power of books. Marvelous.
Mathew
As soon as I caught a whiff of this collaboration, I knew that I had to have it. The idea of Claudia (Enchanted Lion) Bedrick and Maria (Brainpickings) Popova choosing a selection of inspirational thinkers and illustrators to share letters to future generations of readers just sounded like bliss and, for the most part, it is.

There were many letters that I felt immediately drawn to and there were others in which I took so much from their openness about how their futures were shaped by books. The
Chaimaa
Dec 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a magical ✨ way to end the year!❤
Undrakh
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The most beautiful book:) love looking at its wonderful art when I need something to cheer me up
Ray Nessly
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, words
A Velocity of Being: Letters To A Young Reader. This book is a collection of one-page letters about the joy of reading, written by authors, scientists, musicians, artists, architects …, each with an accompanying illustration on the adjacent page. (A few are two-page pieces by the illustrator, what you might call graphic letters.) Some of the contributors are well known, such as Roz Chast, Art Spiegelman, Judy Blume, Shaun Tan, Chris Ware, Yo Yo Ma, Anne Lamott, Ursula Leguinn, among others. But ...more
KC
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhh! This book! Letters to readers young and old from actors, artists, writers, to musicians, CEOs, to historians, and scientists. The artwork is breathtaking. A great gift idea! PS-The proceeds from the sale of this book benefit the NY public library system- how cool is that?
Sachi
Jan 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
If this doesn’t yank you out of your reading slump and reignite your love for reading, I don’t know what will. This book is a collection of letters to readers by all sorts of interesting folks whose lives were changed by books accompanied by beautiful illustrations. What’s not to like?
Leah Grantham
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure what I expected when I picked this up from the library; I booked it by accident while trying to find another book by a poet featured in this collection. I had some trepidation when reading the description; I’m not the biggest fan of the uncritical celebration of Book Culture(tm) and wasn’t sure whether or not this would just be bland platitudes that said more about growing up middle class in North America than about reading. Thankfully I was wrong. There are some truly stellar colle ...more
Danielle
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't be put off by the fact that this looks like a textbook! The artwork is astounding and each letter is so unique. This is a beautiful tribute to the power of reading and gave me so many other books and writers to explore.

"Books don't teach us about life, they just call forth what our mind suspects, our heart hopes, and our spirit knows to be true."

"To read is to expose a vulnerability, for at least a brief moment, to surrender to another perspective, to bring it inside yourself and try it on
BookChampions
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely agree with so many of these letters about the reasons we read, but a handful of them actually moved me for tears. For the Reader (capital R) in your life, this book is a gorgeous and achingly sweet rumination, celebration, and meditation on the place of the Book in our human journey. The artwork is stunning, and I think these would also make a wonderful read aloud for bedtime.
Deepika
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The dawn of our fast friendship was also a peculiar point in culture. Those were the early days of ebooks and the golden age of social media, when the very notion of reading — of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual surrender to a cohesive thread of thought composed by another human being, through which your own interior world can undergo a symphonic transformation — was becoming tattered by the fragment fetishism of the Web. Even those of us who partook in the medium openheartedly and optimis
Karen
Nov 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
The art is stunningly gorgeous and the letters are diverse, while still all love songs to books and reading. Although the book is subtitled “Letters to a Young Reader,” they are really pitched to the adults who put books in the hands of children. Teachers, librarians, book-loving parents, and artists would all love this collection. It’s a beautiful coffee table book.
Shreya
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My hearttt. 💜💜💜💜💜💜
Abby
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I started reading it and it was interesting but it seemed very long and a bit repetitive so I didn’t finish it. The bit I read was good though.
Ankush GK
Apr 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
A delightful collection of letters, directed to the younger generations, from some of the great creators on the impact of reading. I think this will be a good go-to book when in a reading slump, and maybe also to take a step back and reflect on why you started reading.
Theresa
Dear Reader,

Books are glorious. Each one an event. One of my favorite experiences growing up was visiting the library in my hometown. I lived on a farm and could only go to the library occasionally; it had to be open when there was a reason for my family being in town.

What I remember most about that library: the wide oak staircase that lead from the entry down into the dusty and damp smelling lower level where the children’s books were kept, its wood bookshelves, the oak darkened by age, loaded
Anne MacDonald
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My sister-in-law bought this book in November for my January birthday, and it just arrived this week. It was worth the wait. Friday night it was pouring rain, and I curled up in my cozy chair with a glass of wine to read it cover to cover.

There are common themes in the letters: how could you ask all these book lovers to write about reading and not have quite a few of them mention reading under the covers with a flashlight? Or talk about how books saved their lives? Or kept them from being lonely
Lucie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, read-in-eng
This was beautiful. The book combines stunningly gorgeous and diverse art with heart-melting letters from public figures to (young) readers about why to read.

What have I learned? That we read to escape, when our lives are too hard to take. To widen our horizons, when the environment doesn't offer enough of diversity. To find friends, when others don't seem to get us. To explore our own hearts, when unsure of how we feel, what we want and what to do. And perhaps, when we're unsure of who we are.

I
Erin
I flipped through the whole thing, but found that this doesn't lend itself to a regular "reading." It would be great as a book to own, and dip into as needed.

The letters I read were all either encouraging, touching, empathetic, or funny. They all touched on some positive aspect of books and reading. It would be fun to read one out loud every day to a class. I liked the diversity of people who wrote letters: a lot of them I had no idea who they were, and these people were all mixed up with more w

• Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine
  • Wonder Walkers
  • The Lost Letters of William Woolf
  • Wretched Waterpark (Sinister Summer, #1)
  • The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forest Unseen: A Year’s Watch in Nature
  • Bright Star
  • Påskkärringen
  • Out of a Jar
  • Ho'onani: Hula Warrior
  • This Is Not a Book about Benedict Cumberbatch: The Joy of Loving Something--Anything--Like Your Life Depends on It
  • A History of the Breast
  • Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change
  • A Book of Simple Living
Art
See top shelves…
Maria Popova is a reader and a writer, and writes about what she reads on Brain Pickings (brainpickings.org), which is included in the Library of Congress permanent digital archive of culturally valuable materials. She hosts The Universe in Verse—an annual charitable celebration of science through poetry—at the interdisciplinary cultural center Pioneer Works in Brooklyn.

News & Interviews

The glint of fangs in the dark, the sound of tap-tap-tapping at your window, the howling of wind (or is it just wind?) in the trees...that's...
“Nearly every book has the same architecture--cover, spine, pages--but you open them onto worlds and gifts far beyond what paper and ink are, and on the inside they are every shape and power. Some books are toolkits you take up to fix things, from the most practical to the mostmysterious, from your house to your heart, or to make things, from cakes to ships. Some books are wings. Some are horses that run away with you. Some are parties to which you are invited, full of friends who are there even when you have no friends. In some books you meet one remarkable person; in others a whole group or even a culture. Some books are medicine, bitter but clarifying. Some books are puzzles, mazes, tangles, jungles. Some long books are journeys, and at the end you are not the same person you were at the beginning. Some are handheld lights you can shine on almost anything.” 17 likes
“When you're near books, amazing things happen. They can call to you just by being in the same space as you. It can be a feeling, the color or texture of a cover, or the way it somehow sets itself apart from its neighbors and asks you to open it. Then comes the crack of the spine, the random, or not-so-random-at-all page you open to, and finally the completely surprising and unexpected words you read. In that moment, you are the only person in the world holding that book and touching its pages. You can stand there for an hour and keep reading--or put it back and start again.

That can't happen of a screen. Other wonderful things can, but not that. And moments like those--of time stopping, eyes searching and minds dreaming--are rare and important in our fast-paced lives. We must protect the possibility of them.

Good luck to us!”