Start by marking “The Chicken Who Saved Us: The Remarkable Story of Andrew and Frightful” as Want to Read:
The Chicken Who Saved Us: The Remarkable Story of Andrew and Frightful

The Chicken Who Saved Us: The Remarkable Story of Andrew and Frightful

The true story of an autistic boy with a body under siege by mysterious illness, and the chicken who saved his life.

“Heartbreakingly beautiful – the gift of the human animal bond.” – Temple Grandin, Author, researcher, consultant and world-renowned autism spokesperson

Eight-year-old Andrew was autistic and bilingual. He spoke English – and Chicken. But the day he told his p
Published April 4th 2017 by Behler Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Who Saved Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken Who Saved Us

May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Andrew and Frightful, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. This remarkable memoir told through the eyes of one determined, devoted mother, tells the story of her autistic son, Andrew's rare gene mutation, Trisomy 8 Mosaicism (T8M). This condition manifests itself in a myriad of complications and increasingly painful, life-threating manners. Desperate for answers, Kristin and her husband seek the help of medical professionals hoping to save the boy's life. Andrew, like many with autism, has ...more
Veronica
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly memorable book written with such emotional candor that I couldn't believe that it was the authors first book. It's a beautiful story of human challenge and triumph. Andrew is autistic and he speaks English and Chicken. His names his pet chicken "Frightful" and his conversation with his pet is overheard by his mother and she realizes that Andrew is in pain and suffering.
I was in tears one page and roaring with laughter the next page.
Do yourself a favor and read this wonderful book. When
Koren
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Touching story about a young boy with autism who developed a serious disease and how a chicken helped him through it, as told by the mother. Very interesting.
Becki Barrett
Jan 20, 2017 is currently reading it
Kristin shares the story of her family in raw and humorous ways. She invites the reader to consider their own journey of struggle while sharing the unique connection between Andrew and his beloved chicken. I loved every page! An inspiring and insightful read.
Margaret
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Will be buying this book for several people in my life; full of hope, insight & grace, especially for care givers.
Patty Pacelli
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a beautiful, heartbreaking, and amazingly well-told story about a family's life with a child's devastatingly painful illness, told with raw honesty by his mother. You will feel like part of this family and learn so much about what families go through in these situations, and how to help others or ask for help if you need it. Andrew's autism is shown in wonderful honesty, making his story even more special. Not to mention the comfort he got from a family chicken.
Kathy
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable story of love, courage, and faith in the midst of unfathomable obstacles. It is the story of the bond between a boy and his beloved chicken. It is the story of a miracle.
Shannon
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an autistic or critically ill child.
The 3-star rating is being generous because I know that underneath all the self-centered angst of the author, there is someone who went through a trial that I shudder to even contemplate.
This is the cathartic telling of the journey that Kristin Adams, her son, Andrew, husband, Jon Adams, and daughter, Hannah, took through a nightmare of autism, extreme genetic disorder, bone-marrow transplant and ultimate, but fragile, triumph. For the first 180 pages of the book, I was emotionally invested in w
Lisa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nan Pokerwinski
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I learned about this book when I attended the Pacific Northwest Writers Association conference in 2018, where The Chicken Who Saved Us won the Nancy Pearl Book Award for memoir. I would have bought it and read it for that reason alone, but the cover and the story behind it also drew me in. In this memoir, Adams relates how her son Andrew, who has autism, formed a close bond with a pet chicken named Frightful, and how Andrew's conversations with Frightful ultimately saved the boy's life.
Anne
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrew is an autistic boy who also has a lot of other health problems. A chicken becomes his best friend, which sounds implausible but actually isn't. Because of all his medical problems, he feels like his body is killing him. A scary thought for one so young, and for his family.

This is a true story and takes place in Seattle (mostly at Seattle Children's).
Gayle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every parent will be touched by this remarkable story!

My heart was touched by a family in turmoil, seeking every avenue to make their family whole and healthy. A wise chicken and an extraordinary young boy connect on a level that give us hope in the midst of so much despair. We have much to learn about caring, sharing, and loving.
Alisa Kester
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few books where I had to flip to the end of the book just to see how it was going to end before I had finished it...because I was a MESS reading it. I have a particular soft spot for beloved chickens. (view spoiler)
Sam Saunders
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story regarding the journey of Andrew and his chicken, Frightful. This story has given the insight of how love and determination can help through a crisis. Highly recommend reading for all families’ whether or not they are going through a medical crisis.

Sam
Carol
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kristin Adams bears her soul to tell of the heartwrenching story of her son who endured so much pain. I definitely recommend this book.
Melissa
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Raw, honest, heart wrenching, heart warming!
Amy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Evidence of how strong a human-animal bond can be - even in the darkest of times. Holy chicken!
Stan Adams
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kristen Jarvis Adams has created a wonder full book. She bears her soul to tell us what she and her husband have gone through to care for their autistic son, Andrew. This is a story that is a beacon of hope for parents who find themselves in a seemingly hopeless situation. Its appeal reaches across all boundaries to inspire every reader. Mrs. Jarvis shares her joys, triumphs and her struggles; she has us smiling through some parts and crying through others. This is one of the best books that I h ...more
Lizz
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Autistic child’s chicken gives hope to family. Sweet, but preachy.

See my other ten word book reviews at my blog: https://tenwordbookreviews.wordpress....
Suezy Proctor
Jan 01, 2017
Judith Hunter
Oct 22, 2017
Robert
May 06, 2017
Marge
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an account of courage, strength,wisdom, kindness, faith and love. I have a new found affection for chickens also.
Lindsey
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I felt like this was a great book for all parents in general, not only parents of critically ill children or those with children who have special needs or challenges. A lot of life lessons, perspectives on parenting and how we all could benefit from not try to control so much and just “be” and let others “be” whoever/whatever that is, especially our children and to have faith. Highly recommend reading this book.
Rainey