Start by marking “Chirri & Chirra: In the Tall Grass” as Want to Read:
Chirri & Chirra: In the Tall Grass

Chirri & Chirra: In the Tall Grass

(Chirri & Chirra)

In their second adventure to reach the US market, Chirri & Chirra become very small, and so are able to explore the magical world hidden away in a mound of tall grass. Filled with friendly, industrious bees and equally inventive bugs, this is a book that brings the lovely particularity of life in Japan––marked by food and nature––to young readers here.

Born in Tokyo, Ja
Published April 11th 2017 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Chirri & Chirra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chirri & Chirra

Hilary
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hilary by: Suggested library buy
These soft pencil drawn illustrations are perfect. The design of each page is beautifully balanced, everything carefully observed and presented, you can tell this author/illustrator did a design degree.

Two girls leave their house and cycle off on an adventure. They shrink and observe life from the perspective of a beetle. The drawings of nature are exquisite and we loved the halo of white around areas of colour-similar to the tecnique of Kathleen Hale. The girls interaction with the insect world
Earl
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series from Japan is a charming adventure of two little girls on sweet adventures that are small in size but big in imagination. The sequel finds them following an array of meadow creatures and discovering what they do in their various homes.
Dianna
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest thing ever!
Peacegal
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 -- This book combined so many elements that I enjoy...life in miniature, cuteness, and surrealism. I really enjoyed this one, especially the visit to the lizard's house.
Abigail
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories That Show the Beauty & Enchantment of the Natural World
Those bicycling siblings (twins, perhaps?) return in this follow-up to their first adventure from Japanese author/illustrator Kaya Doi, Chirri & Chirra . Here they explore the world of the meadow in front of their house, following various creatures - a bumblebee, some flower chafers, and a lizard - home and witnessing the creation of various delectable treats. After a full day of fun, they return home in the dark, their path lit by a sparkle of fireflies...

Every bit as charming as its prede
Tasha
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the second book in this series that has come to the United States from Japan. In this adventure, sisters Chirri and Chirra ride their bikes into a tall stand of grass. Once inside, they follow a bee to its home where they get to taste honey sponge cake. From there, they follow some flower chafers to their home where the chafers share some leaf juice with them. When a lizard passes by, the girls follow him to his home and they make candies together. As darkness falls, the girls return bac ...more
Laura Harrison
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Second book in the Chirri & Chirra series. The illustrations are so unique and beautiful. Like nothing I have ever seen before. Kaya Doi is definitely a name Americans need to know in the children's book world. The books are a little smaller than most picture books. Perfect for a little one's hands and an evening storytime. The details are absolutely extraordinary. So much for a child (or adult) to look at and absorb. The whole Chirri & Chirra series is a must have. They would also be gr ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Gorgeous, dreamy and magical.
Ms.Gaye
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Chirri and Chirra are 2 tiny identical girls who adventure through the tall grass, visiting the houses of a bumblebee, a flower chafer (or beetle), and a lizard. At each house they’re given a treat.
Yuki Shimmyo
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers, 2-8 years old
Recommended to Yuki Shimmyo by: Chirri & Chirra
I hope that all young children at some point look at a patch of grass and clover and imagine a magical and wondrous forest of sorts. This gentle and charming book reminded me of endless childhood days playing in the yard with my younger brothers. The illustrations are very sweet.

I looked up "flower chafers" -- they are scarab beetles. Japanese children in general seem to enjoy collecting bugs and beetles. I noticed when visiting that toy stores and even corner shops sell small plastic boxes with
Hannah
This second installment of Chirri and Chirra’s tiny adventures is just as magical and gentle as the first! Scrumptious, sweet, and full of warmth, CHIRRI & CHIRRA, IN THE TALL GRASS will make readers want to dive right into the book to nibble on honey sponge cakes and sip on freshly squeezed mixed-leaf juice alongside the diminutive duo. Dring-dring! Here comes my favorite summery picture book!
Tracie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chirri and Chirra ride through the grass on their tiny bikes and check out what all the wildlife is doing. It's delightful to see all the little worlds the two encounter. Would be fun to make a program and set up stations for each area!
Danielle
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I adore Chirri & Chirra. This one features insects (and a lizard) and could have "a series of magical snacks" as its subtitle. Another dream of a book conceived of by someone who seems beautifully in tune with childhood.
Sharon
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delicately drawn and delightfully designed, prepare for a dreamlike adventure with Chirri and Chirra in the tall grass. Dring-dring, dring-dring!
Becky B
Chirri & Chirra hop on their bikes and venture into some tall grass. They soon find themselves in a land where they are the same size as the insects and small animals. They watch various critters preparing food and get to taste and even help make some of the delicacies.

Another imaginative and charmingly illustrated fantastical adventure with these two Japanese girls on their bicycles. I really like that the girls aren't afraid of the bugs or the lizard in the story. The treats they eat may
Stephanie Tournas
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two little girls ride their bicycles into a pastoral fantasy in the grass. They become small and commune with insects and animals who serve them delicious treats. I love girls' imagination takes them where there is yummy food and the beauties of nature. Their sojourn ends at dusk when they leave the meadow to find their home alit by the setting sun. The book is short in stature and oriented horizontally, echoing the girls' miniature habitat. Charming pastel colors and the simple sweet forest set ...more
Cornmaven
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, sweet story about twin girls who bicycle through an imaginary forest, following a bee, a beetle, and a lizard. The pace is perfect, the illustrations are soft and invite hanging around to look at little details.

This is a one on one in-mom's-lap book because of its small size, but it has the potential of creating cozy memories.
The Library Lady
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, you can call this, with the Thumbelina sized girls biking through a landscape filled with flowers as tall as trees, "cute." This one IS cute.

But I'd rather say it's adorable and charming and that the art has a lovely delicacy to it. Little girls (and boys) who like all things fairy will like this series.
Juliana Lee
Chirri and Chirra are tiny girls who live in the grass. One day they ride their bikes through the tall grass and follow tiny animals home to see what they do. At each house, they receive a gift. At the end of the day, the fireflies light their way home.
Chirri and Chirra ride through magical grass to the land of little beings who are all making sweet treats. They help to make the treats and to enjoy them before they ride back through the grass to their forest home.
Amanda Brooke
I put Chirri and Chirra on my gazing-book bookshelf because the illustrations are so rich. I am inspired to go out and create tiny bumble bee and lizard homes. I want to make tiny gem candy. This would be a great spring break read and do projects kind of book.
Mary
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
An imaginative book with similarities to Honey, We Shrunk the Kids! Definitely told in a style that is more vague than many other picture books, but the illustrations are lovely in their softness and detail, encouraging discussion of the story and the images.
Marcia
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Translated from Japanese, this is a very sweet book. Two tiny girls ride their bicycles through the tall grass to discover what various creatures are doing inside their homes. The soft colored pencil illustrations make the entire setting magical. Really lovely.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute but very small picture book about all the creatures you find in the grass.
Donovan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
hearts popping over my head just thinking about these books
Alicia
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, imaginative story and illustrations. I will have to read the other, and I hope she does more :)
Miss Sarah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two girls set off on their bicycles for an adventure through the woods where they follow animals into their homes and make something with each animal. Preschool and up
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Beautiful illustrations.
MaryLibrarianOH
Translated from Japanese.

Two sisters have a magical adventure when they enter the tall grass in front of their home.

The illustration have a classic sense about them.
Kim
I loved the first better.

Chirri & Chirra (5 books)
  • Chirri & Chirra