Start by marking “That Crazy Perfect Someday” as Want to Read:
That Crazy Perfect Someday

That Crazy Perfect Someday

The year is 2024. Climate change has altered the world’s wave patterns. Drones crisscross the sky, cars drive themselves, and surfing is a new Olympic sport. Mafuri Long, UCSD marine biology grad, champion surfer, and only female to dominate a record eighty-foot wave, still has something to prove. Having achieved Internet fame, along with sponsorship from Google and Nike, ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Turtle Point Press

To ask other readers questions about That Crazy Perfect Someday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Crazy Perfect Someday

Start your review of That Crazy Perfect Someday
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)

I think that That Crazy Perfect Someday may be my second book that I have ever read that is about surfing. I'm not a surfer, I have never even tried it, so I'm not too surprised about this.

Thanks to this book though, I wouldn't mind going out into the ocean. It made it sound pretty good. Too bad I am not into the outdoors and I am too much of a chicken to try.

But anyways...

That Crazy Perfect Someday is about Mafuri Long, a surfer girl who is some where between the ages of 20 and 30 as far as I c
Ionia
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm usually not much for books that are set in the future, but this one was different. First of all, it was believable and there wasn't a tremendous amount of boring tech descriptions so that worked for me and second, I loved the big wave surfing descriptions.

The characters in this novel are unique and kept me interested throughout the story, particularly what was going on with the main character's father. I liked the plot and pacing of this story and thought the author did a really good job of
kai jiang
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
RTC
Hayley Chwazik-Gee
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel packs in so many events and characters! It was a quick read (especially for someone who’s as enthralled by surfing as me!), but I did think that a lot of the dialogue was awkward and disjointed.
Nora
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was on a recommended summer reading list, so that's where we start. Mafuri is the main character, a twenty something Olympic surfing hopeful with some fairly realistic trip ups in her way. Her voice as main character is interesting, and the author seamlessly inserts surf jargon and Naval jargon into the mix without ever sounding forced or condescending. Frankly, it was a storyline I would not have likely chosen for myself, but it was a good beach read.
Without going on a soapbox, I wil
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Although, this story takes place in the future, it feels like real places. For example, when Mafuri traveled for her surfing competition, I felt like I was there right with her. Yet, I know that Mafuri had a passion for the sport of surfing. She was the only female to dominate a eighty foot wave. That in itself is a great feat for anyone. However, I didn't really feel the great passion that Mafuri had for surfing. It seemed a little muted with the rivalry from other competitors being a focus of ...more
Max
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic ride. Like the twist and turns down a pumping head-high wave, Mazza takes through the trial and tribulation of a surfer girl in the near future that seems too real not to believe. His imagination and way with words set the stage for the development of characters you could have sworn you met in person and the depiction of the San Diego surf scene sends this Cali boy right home. This book is a, "serious ripper," they might say. I'll keep this one nearby for when I long for hom ...more
Pres Maxson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed with this. Such a great character study of a beautiful, flawed-but-not-too-flawed woman. We see her manage and often struggle with family, friendships, injury, and other career setbacks — all to somehow feel good as readers about her future. I didn't want the book to end, which is one reason why I enjoyed the ending so much. I'm left to picture Mafuri's future for myself, with plenty of complications still ahead. That's my favorite kind of story.
Ashley
Oct 17, 2017 added it
This book is most definitely a page-turner. The format of this book is really interesting as it reads more like long diary entries. This book is fast-paced, intriguing, beach read.
Renee Smith
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-books
won this on a Goodreads Giveaway and I am so glad I did, it was so good. From the surfing to the car details to the relationships, just a great book. Worth the read. Really good book.
Ew Lake
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this male author stunk at creating a great female main character. Book was billed as a climate change/surfing/sci-fi/beach-bag must-have - it did not deliver.
Lori Flores
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprise story of a young successful surfer and where her life takes her.
Diane
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable crazy witty read- I will miss the main character as I've finished this book! Hope the author puts out another book with her in it- she's wicked rad. Constantly surprised at the twists and turns of this book.
Mary Schaller
Mar 26, 2018
Doug
Dec 09, 2016
Ryan Felton
May 15, 2018
vvb
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fun way to get into the surf world with a female perspective.

This story also gets into tackling the hardships in life that come with sports, fame, relationships (family and friends).

Admired the protagonist's courage and perseverance.

Had me watching some YouTube GoPro footage by surfers on Australian waves.
Claire
James Nordman
Jun 02, 2017
Tammy
Jun 03, 2017

• The Gospel's Power & Message (Recovering the Gospel)
  • Don't Waste Your Life
  • Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce
  • Buddhism without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery
  • A Grief Observed
  • Mr. Fox
  • Get in Trouble
  • The Light Over London
  • Jane Steele
  • The Story People
  • New Boy (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • Man of the Year
  • Never Play Dead: How the Truth Makes You Unstoppable
  • The World in a Grain: The Story of Sand and How It Transformed Civilization
  • Meg and Jo
Michael Mazza is a San Francisco Bay Area literary fiction writer whose stories have appeared in journals, including TINGE, ZYZZYVA, and BULL: Men’s Fiction. He is also an internationally acclaimed art and creative director working in the advertising industry. That Crazy Perfect Someday is his first novel.

Discover more at mazzastory.com
Follow him on Instagram @mazzastory

News & Interviews

“It’s not the sharks that will kill you, but the accumulated nuisances of life.” 1 likes
“Stand up, get out, and rip some f-ing waves girl!” 0 likes