Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Such Small Hands” as Want to Read:
Such Small Hands
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Such Small Hands

by
3.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,254 ratings  ·  237 reviews
“Every once in a while a novel does not record reality but creates a whole new reality, one that casts a light on our darkest feelings. Kafka did that. Bruno Schulz did that. Now the Spanish writer Andrés Barba has done it with the terrifying Such Small Hands.”—Edmund White

It was once a happy city; we were once happy girls. . . . Life changes at the orphanage the day Marin
...more
Paperback, 108 pages
Published April 11th 2017 by Transit Books (first published October 2008)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Such Small Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such Small Hands

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Jean Menzies
This one has left me with a lot of thoughts running through my mind, and that is why I'm writing a short review immediately after having finished it when I should really be going to sleep. I was expecting some classic creepy orphanage story and instead got something a lot deeper. I'm torn between giving this one three or four stars so let's read that as a 3 1/2, despite goodreads refusal to allow that option.

This novella uses short simple sentences to convey complex emotions. Amongst those it ex
...more
Zoeytron
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
Dolls have such small hands. So do little girls. And caterpillars have no hands at all. Is there a common denominator here?

Broken, coming from together. Moody, surreal, and slightly grotesque.
Evi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μικρούλι, νουβέλα μόνο 113 σελίδων και με όμορφο εξώφυλλο.
.
Η αλήθεια είναι πως αρχικά δυσκολεύτηκα να το κατάταξω σε κάποια κατηγορία. Ωστόσο στην πορεία μου προκάλεσε ποικίλα και βαθιά συναισθήματα.
.
Η 7χρονη Μαρίνα χάνει τους γονείς της σε αυτοκινητιστικό δυστύχημα. Ελλείψει συγγενών καταλήγει σε ένα ορφανοτροφείο θηλέων.
Δεν κλαίει και δεν καταρρέει έπειτα από το τραγικό συμβάν. Αδυνατεί να γίνει ανθρώπινη, να αντιδράσει στη συμφορά και βρίσκεται υπό το καθεστώς του ανομολόγητου σοκ. Η μικρή μο
...more
Xanthi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ιδιαίτερη γραφή, πυκνογραμμενο βιβλίο. Τα ορφανά κορίτσια τρόφιμοι του Ιδρύματος, βλέπουν την Μαρίνα που γνώρισε γονείς σαν διαφορετική εξαρχής. Οι όχι και τόσες αθώες σκέψεις και πράξεις τους δεν αρμόζουν σε 7 χρονα.
Δεν με εντυπωσίασε τόσο άφησε αίσθηση ημιτελους διηγησης.
Paul Fulcher
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Now deservedly winner of the 2018 Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize

“Tonight we’re going to play a game,” she said.
“What game, Marina?”
“Just a game I know.”
“How do you play?”
“I’ll tell you tonight.”
“Can’t you tell us now?”
“No. Tonight.”


Andres Berba’s Such Small Hands is just 84 pages long but packs a very unsettling punch, the sort of books that lingers in one’s mind and is best not read just before bed, in much the same way as one of my books of 2017, Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin.

And as
...more
Edward Lorn
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much to unpack. I'm not sure I'm capable of reviewing this book. It's likely the best collection of words, sentences, paragraphs, chapters, and parts that I've ever read. I mean that, utterly, and without hyperbole.

All this might change tomorrow, or in a week...a month...next year, but right now I am in speechless awe of the brilliance I've witnessed within these pages.
jeremy
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, translation
the third of andrés barba's books to be translated into english (after rain over madrid and august, october), such small hands (las manos pequeñas) may be the best one yet. slim, yet unbelievably taut, the spanish writer's novella murmurs with increasing dread and unease.

marina, seven years old, is suddenly orphaned when the automobile she's riding in with her parents flips and slides into oncoming traffic. as her once-privileged life has ineluctably ended, young marina is sent to an orphanage
...more
George K.
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 21st-century
Το βιβλίο το αγόρασα χθες και το διάβασα σε δυο "καθισιές", μιας και για κάποιον απροσδιόριστο λόγο ήταν ένα από τα βιβλία της φετινής εκδοτικής σοδειάς που περίμενα πως και πως να διαβάσω. Τελικά, δεν ήταν ακριβώς αυτό που περίμενα. Είναι ένα βιβλίο ιδιαίτερο και αρκετά περίεργο, γεμάτο υπόνοιες, νοήματα και εικόνες, που όμως έτσι όπως είναι γραμμένο, σίγουρα δεν ταιριάζει με όλα τα αναγνωστικά γούστα. Προσωπικά δεν μου πολυάρεσε ο τρόπος γραφής και αφήγησης, με τις κάπως ποιητικές περιγραφές κ ...more
Coos Burton
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, gotico, suspenso
Nada acerca tanto a dos seres como tener miedo juntos

No sé si la historia es exactamente lo que yo esperaba, pero tiene chispazos muy interesantes, como la atmósfera gótica, el miedo a lo desconocido como flagelo durante toda la nouvelle, misterio y melancolía suspendidos en el aire, descripciones gráficas de lo grotesco y catastrófico, y una prosa muy elegante. Está más cerca del drama que del terror, y sin embargo todo el tiempo está presente la sensación de que algo inquietante y retorcido va
...more
Sofia
Δεν σκοπεύω να το βαθμολογήσω γιατί δεν ξέρω πως να αισθανθώ για το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο. Σε κάποια σημεία με κέρδιζε κι εκλήρωνε το σκοπό του, να είναι creepy, εστιάζοντας σε λεπτομέρειες και αναπτύσσόντας τες με τρόπο ιδιαίτερο. Απο την άλλη προς την μέση έκανε λίγο κοιλιά, κάτι που σε ένα τόσο μικρό μυθιστόρημα δεν δικαιολογείται.
Έλσα
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ενα βιβλιο που αρχικα με τραβηξε για το εξωφυλλο του. Ειναι μικρο σε εκταση κ ομως τοσο ουσιαστικο!

Η Μαρινα, ειναι ενα κοριτσακι που μενει ορφανο μετα τον θανατο των γονιων του σε αυτοκινητιστικο δυστυχημα. Λογω του νεαρου της ηλικιας της αδυνατει να εξωτερικευσει τα συναισθηματα της. Παθαινει μετατραυματικο σοκ κ κλεινεται στο εαυτο της. Ολα τα συναισθηματα της συσσωρευονται στην ψυχη της. Φτανοντας στο ιδρυμα αντιλαμβανεται τη διαφορετικοτητα της σε σχεση με τα αλλα κοριτσια.

Δυστυχως, αυτη η
...more
Lark Benobi
This novella is beautifully written in a hypnotic and compulsive rhythm that almost compels me to like it, but in spite of its craft it is, as a story, repulsive and ultimately meaningless.

I got to the end asking myself: ok, if I think this story so questionable, then who has written a better book with a similar theme? And I came up with Loving Sabotage by Amélie Nothomb.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is odd and rather disconcerting.
Marina is a young girl who loses her parents in an accident she survives and she goes to live in an orphanage.
This is part written from Marina's POV and part written by the rest of the girls as a collective.
It has a hypnotic rhythm and takes on an almost dream-like quality that sinks deeper and deeper into nightmare.
It's creepy and nasty but also beautiful and childish. It is certainly not what I expected.
Jackdaw
 
And when the doll was so disfigured
that she no longer looked like a human baby,
only then did the girl begin to play with her.
ANONYMOUS, A Woman in Berlin


It was in her nature to be excluded.


Το βιβλίο φημολογείται ότι βασίστηκε σε πραγματικό γεγονός, που συνέβει πριν 60 χρόνια, περίπου, σε ένα ορφανοτροφείο της Βραζιλίας.
Είτε αυτή η φήμη είναι αληθινή, είτε όχι, το Such Small Hands, είναι μια κλειδαρότρυπα στο παιδικό μυαλό, όπου αν κοιτάξεις, θα δεις ότι-δυστυχώς-δεν κυριαρχούν ουράνια
...more
David
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the strangest, most alien, horrifying book I’ve read in a while.

How do we represent childhood? How do we write about it?

I have virtually no memory of my own childhood. I remember being happy. When I try to imagine how I saw the world and experienced things, I think I must have been very thoughtless and instinctive, and Id-driven. Like a little, nearly-feral creature. I imagine myself without an inner life. Without an inner monologue. But, although I’m sure this is probably just a kind of
...more
Gumble's Yard
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
See this link for a very detailed, insightful and positive review of the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I have seen a number of other reviews which say that this book brilliantly captures – childhood: I was struggling to tie this up with my own experiences or observations of childhood – in fact the only part of my childhood it reminded me of was reading “The Lord of The Flies”.

I think for such a short novella to really work as a chilling and memorable literary horror story, it is e
...more
Claire McAlpine
An incredible and unique novella, quite unlike anything I have read, it's written almost from another dimension. The author somehow enters into a childlike perspective and witnesses the aftermath of a car accident in which the child Marina's parents don't survive.

Marina sees a psychologist after recovering from her own injuries and is placed in an orphanage. The narrative alternates between Marina's perspective and the collective "we" of all the other girls. Marina is already different, in that
...more
Zak
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A disturbing, provocative read, if more than a bit surreal. The writing is very strong and manages to transport the reader into the minds of young children in a convincing manner. It allows us to experience how they possibly perceive the world, deal with loss and yearn for acceptance. The narrative alternates between a 7-year old girl who has been orphaned in a car accident and the other children of the orphanage to which she has been sent. A dark but worthwhile read. [Final rating: 3.75*]
Σταμάτης Λαδικός
110 και κάτι σελίδες μονάχα, μα πιο πυκνό και βαρύ από πολλές στρώσεις μπετόν αρμέ... "Κλειστή", εσωτερική γραφή και μία unsettling αίσθηση να τα σκιάζει όλα (σόρυ για την αγγλικούρα, μα δεν μπορούσα να βρω τη λέξη που θα απέδιδε καλύτερα τη αύρα της νουβέλας αυτής).

"Τίποτα άλλο δεν φέρνει πιο κοντά δυο πλάσματα απ' το να φοβούνται μαζί"
Χριστίνα
Αγόρασα πρόσφατα αυτό το μικρό βιβλίο, χωρίς να έχω ιδέα για το συγγραφέα του και χωρίς να έχω ακούσει ή διαβάσει κάπου γι' αυτό. Με κέντρισε αρχικά το πολύ όμορφο εξώφυλλο και στη συνέχεια αυτά που διάβασα στο οπισθόφυλλο του βιβλίου.
Δυστυχώς στην πορεία η αρχική μου χαρά και περιέργεια μειώθηκαν σε τεράστιο βαθμό, αφού δε μου άρεσε καθόλου η ιστορία και κυρίως η γραφή του Barba. Η ιστορία είναι αλήθεια πως δεν ήταν αδιάφορη, αλλά μου φάνηκε πως οι σκέψεις, οι πράξεις και γενικότερα η συμπεριφ
...more
Κατερίνα Μαλακατέ
http://diavazontas.blogspot.gr/2018/0...

Για κάποιον λόγο έπιασα να διαβάζω τα «Χέρια μικρά» αμέσως μόλις κυκλοφόρησε. Ίσως είχα την αίσθηση πως θα ανακαλύψω κάτι, ίσως να με ιντριγκάρισε που μεταφράστηκε στα Αγγλικά κι έπειτα στα Ελληνικά σχεδόν δέκα χρόνια μετά την κυκλοφορία του. Ομολογουμένως, είναι εξαιρετικό και το εξώφυλλο και το οπισθόφυλλο.

Το βιβλίο του Αντρές Μπάρμπα πραγματεύεται ένα πραγματικό περιστατικό σε ένα ορφανοτροφείο της Ισπανίας. Η μικρή Μαρίνα χάνει τους του γονείς της σε
...more
Eric Anderson
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As adults we can recall flashes of feeling and indulgent fantasies that we experienced as children, but these are inevitably wrapped in a kind of silk-smooth nostalgia. Even memories of intense anger and pain are altered by the distance of time because this past now has a context. When you’re child there is no context. So much of literature tries to simulate the actual feeling of childhood, but only manages a sentimental simulation. But something in Andrés Barba’s narrative gets it so exactly, e ...more
Maria Roxana
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O cărticică tare sensibilă ce mi-a amintit de ”Împăratul muștelor...”

”Cineva care descoperă ceva teribil în el însuși nu mai simte nici frică nici milă, doar trufie.”
Figgy
Proper review to come, but for now:

I think I had been expecting something a little more Gothic and ghostly, but instead this is a tale of the love and cruelty of young girls for each other, and of finding one's way in a world that is suddenly different and a lot more lonely than you're used to.

Some gorgeously poetic and gruesome use of the English language, but it's not over the top and cumbersome.

The reader is bound to get a pretty sinister picture of the events, but the writing never does spel
...more
Elizabeth☮
I bought this on the recommendation of the bookseller at my local independent bookstore. I am so glad I did.

Marina is orphaned when she loses both parents in a car accident. She is sent to an orphanage where her beauty and privileged life causes jealousy among the other girls. Marina's only friend is her doll which becomes a fixation for the other girls. The doll also becomes the source of a new game Marina creates.

There is a tension that runs through the entire book. It is a string pulling ti
...more
Eeva
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wtf did I just read?
Can I please have my hour back?

This novella has a really interesting premise but fails to deliver. It's not particulary creepy or spooky. It's weird, and I don't mean "fun weird" just plain "weird".
Reading afterword really helps with understanding what the author wanted to convey, but it's a shame that the book itself wasn't able to do that.
Contrary Reader
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There. Are. Not. Words.
This book is phenomenal! So tightly crafted. The words. The tragedy. The darkness. Barba is joining Enriquez in my hall of favourite writers.
Kika Ombledroom Kramvousanou η θεία Κούλα
Αν κατάλαβα καλά, μάλλον δεν κατάλαβα τίποτα.
lalsayed
αν θα μπορουσα να εμπεριεξω σε μια φράση την αίσθηση αυτού του βιβλίου η απάντηση θα ήταν "χμμ..."
ξεκίνησα να το διαβάζω με το που το πήρα. έπεφτε συχνά το μάτι μου πάνω σε φωτογραφίες του στο Instagram και στις βιτρίνες, και το εξώφυλλο του μου τράβηξε το ενδιαφέρον, αν μη τι άλλο. το οπισθόφυλλο επίσης πιο έντονα..
παρότι νιώθω ότι δεν μου έχει αφήσει κάποιο κενό, που συνήθως συμβαίνει με βιβλία που δεν μπορώ να αποφασίσω πως αισθάνομαι, σίγουρα ειμαι μπερδεμένη.
νομίζω πως άφησα τον ενθουσιασ
...more
Margaret
Πολύ γοητευτική γραφή. Ευφυής προσέγγιση της μετατραυματική διαταραχής και της συμπεριφοράς του ιδρυματισμου. Αλλά στο τέλος τα εγκλωβισμένα συναισθήματα,βρίσκουν διέξοδο στη βία. Κατά κανόνα αυτό συμβαίνει και στην πραγματικότητα ,αλλά αναπόφευκτα το τέλος της ιστορίας αφήνει μόνο θλίψη.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
81 followers
Andrés Barba (Madrid, 1975), se dio a conocer en 2001 con la novela "La hermana de Katia" (finalista del Premio Herralde) excelentemente acogida por crítica y público, a la que siguieron "Ahora tocad música de baile", "Versiones de Teresa" (Premio Torrente Ballester), "Las manos pequeñas", "Agosto, octubre", "La recta intención" y "República luminosa" (premio Herralde de novela 2017). Es también a ...more