Start by marking “On to the Next Dream” as Want to Read:
On to the Next Dream

On to the Next Dream

Paul Madonna’s popular comic, “All Over Coffee” had been running for twelve years in the San Francisco Chronicle when he was evicted from his longtime home and studio in the Mission District, ground-zero in the “tech wars” transforming the city. Suddenly finding himself yet another victim of San Francisco’s overheated boomtown housing market, with its soaring prices and ra ...more
Published March 28th 2017 by City Lights Publishers

To ask other readers questions about On to the Next Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On to the Next Dream

Start your review of On to the Next Dream
Marysya Rudska
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Страшенно люблю роботи Пола Мадонни і колекціоную його книжки. Ця книжка вийшла коротка й емоційна. Автора виселили з його квартири в Сан Франциско і він про це написав і намалював. У даному випадку дуже добре видно, як автор володіє візуальною образною мовою значно витонченіше ніж вербальною. Його ілюстрації на тему виселення, втрати дому значно глибші і проникливіші ніж текст. Текст досить плаский і незрілий, хоч з твердженнями важко не погодитись.
Загалом, хочеться як в попередніх книжках - б
Patrick
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not long after I moved to San Francisco, I was at a coffeeshop in the Mission, and lying on the counter near where I sat down was a copy of Madonna's All Over Coffee. Because I wasn't a regular reader of the San Francisco Chronicle, in which ran a series of his drawings and writings (from which the book had taken its name), I had never heard of him. But I loved the book, and not long afterward bought a copy (which I ended up giving to friends from the Netherlands who had stayed with me about six ...more
Cynthia Shannon
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is much more of a 'story story' than Paul Madonna's previous books, and it's the story inspired by his own eviction from his apartment of 12 years in San Francisco. It hits on some important points regarding what's happening in the city we live in today, and right before the protagonist starts to get too annoying he has this realization about how the city has always been changing. I absolutely love Paul's work (we have two of his paintings hanging at home) and I knew about his and his ...more
Kim
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I love Paul Madonna's artwork, I didn't realize that this would be mostly prose and not so many drawings, so it was a pleasant surprise that the story was really interesting and well-written. And definitely a good message about weathering transitions, one it turns out I needed to hear.
Beth Adams
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the writing or the plot, (constant dream sequences) but the drawings were beautiful.
Pamela
This is very short book developed out of Paul Madonna's personal experience of being evicted out of his home in San Francisco. Yes, a renter, but at the same place for about ten years. Seemed unfair, especially since the landlord was likely breaking tenant rights law.

The surreal experiences talked about in the book reflects what Paul felt going through this process. His drawings were good, but sometimes didn't seem to me to match what was going on in the story.

As I said, a very short work, and
Jan Rog
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Clever, succinct, and poignant, this book revealed many issues in our changing urban neighborhoods. Madonna cast himself in these reflections but also wove in various other recurring characters (whom I suspect are fictional or at least composites). He's facing eviction from a home he loves in a San Francisco neighborhood, yet I recognize some of the same issues in play here in Kansas City - half a country away. This was touching without being maudlin, and the images made the reading all the more ...more
Ione
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very quick read that dwells on the feelings of helplessness and frustration the author faced when he found himself facing eviction in S.F. His writing ranges from witty to bizarre as he tries to make sense of what is happening to the City he loves. It's hard to give up on a dream.
Loved the art work. The book is on it's way to my techie son in the Bay Area who has given up on ever being able to afford a place of his own.
I wish the author well.
Alison
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always full of beautiful art, this time the artist for All Over Coffee tells a bittersweet tale of his eviction from San Francisco. It's a story we know too well but he makes it into absurdist conversations and outrageous interactions with strangers. And while he does use absurdity to make his points, he also comes across as very genuine. I'm sad he's leaving. The city will miss him. But on to the next dream!
Rhea
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved all the serious musings in this book about what it is like to live in San Francisco as an artist during the tech boom. I deeply related to his complex perspective. However, the parts I didn't like were the more absurdist ones - it's just not my style of humor. Great, quick book for anyone who thinks about gentrification.
Bob
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful. Simply delightful. I really don't like much out there, I really don't, but "On to the Next Dream" I couldn't put down. It was sharp, clever, honest and maybe the funniest book on eviction ever written.
Vira Tanka
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the drawings. The story is an unpopular way of looking at gentrification but a realistic one though he put it in a surrealistic kinda way.
Bill
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, funny, interesting book that has only become more relevant as gentrification of San Francisco stampedes on. Sure, the targets are easy and the jokes obvious but this was ultimately likable.
Johanna Haas
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surrealistic-tinged illustrated story about the housing crisis in San Francisco. Deals with the impressions and feelings of a person being displaced by gentrification.
Cassandra
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Pretty whacky. Not quite what I thought. I hope it worked out for him.
Jesse
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the satire, the drawings, and the exploration of San Francisco's housing crisis, as well as Oakland's gentrification which I am, alas, a contributor towards.
Alex
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a brief, heartbreaking meditation on the nature of San Francisco and change.
Sebadiaz
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Initially the book rubbed me the wrong way, complaining about gentrification and society moving past him seemed tremendously obnoxious. Then it became apparent that Madonna was in fact self-aware of this fact and made it clear that he was conscious that gentrification seems great when you are the culprit and outrageous when you are the victim. In the end I began to appreciate the book as a personal journey for the author, his drawings and writings were a way for him to process his conflicting fe ...more
Megan Loreto
Mar 29, 2018
Judi
Oct 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Football Outsiders Almanac 2017: The Essential Guide to the 2017 NFL and College Football Seasons
  • Baseball Prospectus 2019
  • Football Outsiders Almanac 2019: The Essential Guide to the 2019 NFL and College Football Seasons
  • Baseball Prospectus 2020
  • Baseball Prospectus 2018
  • Hope and Help for Your Nerves
  • NBA Coaches Playbook: Techniques, Tactics, and Teaching Points
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • The Aftermath
  • Malagash
  • QualityLand
  • Brødrene Vega
  • A Fire Story
  • Differently Morphous
  • Echt easy, Frau Freitag!
  • Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction
  • Orang-Orang Oetimu
Paul Madonna is an award-winning artist and writer. He is the creator of the series All Over Coffee, which ran in the San Francisco Chronicle for twelve years, and the author of four books,  All Over Coffee Everything is its own reward On to the Next Dream , and  Close Enough for the Angels . Paul's drawings and stories have appeared internationally in numerous publications such as t ...more