Start by marking “The Subway Stops at Bryant Park” as Want to Read:
The Subway Stops at Bryant Park

The Subway Stops at Bryant Park

“Subtle, such patient stories.… The effect is cumulative, quietly powerful. A remarkable talent.”—Michael Knight, The Typist

“Moss’s lyrical collection of stories is beautifully held together by deft observations of city life combined with great sensitivity to the humanity beating beneath it all.”—Brad Gooch, Flannery

“Incredibly well-conceived and written.”—Patrick Samway,
Published May 16th 2017 by Leapfrog Press

To ask other readers questions about The Subway Stops at Bryant Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subway Stops at Bryant Park

Jessica
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through LibraryThing's Member Giveaways.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

This was a solid collection, however, it felt like it was missing something. I don't know if that's just me because everyone else seems to love this. I just didn't connect much with the stories. That being said, it was still a good collection of stories. It had a nice cohesiveness.
Richard
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A while back, a friend of mine suggested I might enjoy reading a story written by a friend of his. That story was "Dad Died" by N. West Moss. I read her sensitive, moving story and found myself touched to the core by its profoundly spiritual nature. That lead me to connect with West on Facebook, where I discovered that her special perspective on life and the world around us was remarkably in sync with much of what is in my heart. When her story "Omeer's Mangoes won the "Saturday Evening Post's" ...more
Mathieu Cailler
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous, painful, and tender. I loved each piece and found myself re-reading portions over and over just because the images and sentences were that breathtaking. N. West Moss is an author to be admired and read for years to come.
Sabeeha Rehman
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully related short stories, where the setting is Bryant Park, or at least a walk through the lovely park. If you like Bryant Park, you will love these stories; if you love New York City, you will find these stories heartwarming. But most of all, it is the characters that come alive with such power that keeps you in the moment. I lived each one of their lives through these stories.
Liz
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though these stories are all connected to Bryant Park in NYC in some way, this doesn't feel like a New York book. There's little discussion of the business of the place, the anonymity that so many NYC writers seem bound to discuss at length. Rather Moss chooses to focus on the lives of her characters creating a true neighborhood. These stories reveal the lives of some very ordinary folks, their inner workings and vulnerabilities, with a quiet grace.
Moshe Mikanovsky
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
So much pain but a lot of beauty! Great collection of stories.

Omar’s Mangoes - 4* - definitely brought me back to Bryant Park, taking needed breaks in the middle of a hectic NYC. Loved the parallels between the park and Omeer’s life, the history of the park, Omeer’s way of finding special things in the simplest.
Sky View Haven - 3* - seeing your parent grow old and loose their identity is a bitch.
Milagro- 4* - a weird, yet delicate story. Loved the dog named Mitzvah!
Beautiful Mom - 3* - an ave
Ann Evans
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Subway Stops at Bryant Park is a collection of short stories written by N. West Moss. Reading it is a unique experience.

Moss creates vivid characters – a Pakistani immigrant, a young college girl, an old woman of questionable mental capacity, and other unforgettable folk. At first I felt a lack of drama in the stories, especially in the endings, but they appear together in a larger picture that includes the main character of the book, Bryant Park itself, and that changes everything.

Some char
Linda Epach
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
I loved this collection of short stories. They are subtle, they are not fast paced in any way, the writing simply allows you to glimpse into the lives of very different people going thru very different situations yet they tie together in that each character, whether a child, old man or middle aged woman has some sort of tie to Bryant Park. Moss lets you absorb each character so you feel their hurt pain and loss. My absolute favorites are "Dad Died" (the title itself conveys such simple matter of ...more
Lynne
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did like the book, though I always find short stories a bit abrupt and without a real "ending"...

If nothing else, the interweaving of the stories and the people in them demonstrated once again that, yes, we ARE all interwoven, we are all in life together whether we want to be or not, and, most of all that everyone HAS a story...
Maureen M
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Across from the New York Public Library, Bryant Park welcomes a cast of unusual regulars. The old woman who rolls in on Tuesdays with a suitcase swathed in plastic wrap. The guy with waterlogged shoes and pockets full of coins filched from the fountain. The silent park sweeper who catches leaves as they fall.
A superb storyteller, N. West Moss lets us get to know a few of these characters, while others slide in and out of view. Sometimes Bryant Park is main stage, sometimes it’s barely mentioned
Anita Prather Harvell
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thougtful, insightful and compelling stories set upon a common location in Bryant Park. Loved the characters and their tales.
Lorri Steinbacher
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Revolving around Bryant Park and loosely connected characters, you leave this collection wondering not just about the fates of the characters in the book, but you become more acutely aware of the miracle of stories that are swirling around you at all times. This book made me want to be more gentle to my fellow fragile humans.
Carol Taylor
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't read collections of short stories. They aren't very satisfying to me. However, I loved The Subway Stops at Bryant Park. Most of the stories are interwoven around the park in NYC. Even though the characters in the stories don't interact with each other, they may see each other in the park, especially on the days when music is played in the park. Everyone loves that. These are wonderful stories that I will definitely remember.
Nikki Michaels
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
These stories are beautiful — intuitive and incisive, sorrowful and hopeful. Perhaps one of the best things I can say about the stories in THE SUBWAY STOPS AT BRYANT PARK is that they made me long to visit NYC when I know full well that I hate it there.
Taylor
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short stories about the lives of several New Yorkers whose narratives intersect in the most subtle of ways thanks to their shared interest in Bryant Park. It was fun watching the characters pop up in each other's stories, giving the reader a glimpse at the same scene through different perspectives. Each story felt very raw, very human, as the characters dealt with issues like loss, death, and the ups and downs of everyday relationships with family, friends, and coworkers. This book was a pleasan ...more
Melissa
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Bryant Park when reading this collection. Such a lovely portrayal of a place and it's people.

Moss' writing is poetic, and her characters are realistic, as she zooms in on intimate, quiet moments of various New Yorkers' lives. Both heartwarming and heartbreaking.
Amy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful collection of stories about the lives of different people all tied together by their relationship with Bryant Park. Each story brings a new character to life and deals with some aspect of their emotional state. I could really picture the people and what they were going through despite the fact that none of the stories were very long. All together very well done and good read.

I received this book as part of a good reads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Clifford
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
A fine collection of stories. Review to come.
Martha Voutas
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after meeting West Moss at the Faulkner event in New Orleans. It's tricky meeting an author first then reading, I've always done it the other way around. This book reminds me of "Whatever's Eating Gilbert Grape," a book I had to read after seeing the movie. And I know why. Both books for me were so drop-dead real in some this-isn't-real-it's-too-real sort of way, not just reminding me of what I'd witnessed in my own life, but in ways the two writers build simple words into belie ...more
Patricia Ward
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable collection of stories that leaves one feeling full and wistful at the same time, as well as inspired to slow down and pay more attention to the minutiae of one's own daily life. The stories evoke lucidly the city rhythms and the activity unfolding daily in Bryant Park, where her characters in one way or another always arrive. Moss, rather astonishingly, is able to inhabit characters at all stages of life, from a recent college graduate fumbling through a romantic attachment, ...more
Susannah Ewing
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Oh, thank God the park was open. ... Thank God for this park, for all parks."

These are wonderful stories about place and about people. Wonderfully diverse, eloquently depicted people. Their stories are often simple and yet wondrous, other times complex and confused and nonetheless so very touching. By the end it is fun to wonder and then learn how they will come together; what role their common place will play in each piece. This made it difficult not to simply move right into the next after fi
Betharie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this beautifully written collection of short stories. Characters lives intersect in Bryant Park in New York City but common theme is coming to terms with loneliness and loss. Beautifully written. Now I'd like to see Bryant Park! Especially loved the story "dad died" captured a lot of feelings.
"Who knew when or if she'd ever see him again, and she come to learn that the moments that most make you want to run away were the ones you had to stay for. Proper goodbyes sometimes inoculated you a
Ruth
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, captivating stories. N. West Moss invites you into the lives of her characters with quiet insight and lovely sentences. Your view of the world is changed. A shaft of sunlight can illuminate the pattern of a rug you step on every morning. You see the light, the pattern and now you realize you've never noticed the details before and the rug is remarkable.
Lulu
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of stories about people who live, work, spend time in Bryant Park, everyone from a shy librarian who works at NYPL right next door to the park to a doorman who works at one of the apartment buildings nearby to one of the maintenance workers assigned to the park. Well worth a read.
Pattim
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories that center around Bryant Park...one of my favorite places in NYC. My book club is reading it and having a discussion night with the author which moved me to read it. I read it quickly....and wanted to keep reading each story. Some of the characters in the stories are known to me which made it more interesting.
Pamela Rossi
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did anyone else notice an inordinate amount of typos in such a small book? In any case, I found these stories really engaging and liked the author's writing style. Hope to see more by her!
Paulette
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Series of short stories set in New York City urban oasis. Well written, thoughtful, insightful.
Eleanor
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short stories, all of them centered on Bryant Park in New York City and its immediate environs. Moss’s characters are doormen, recently bereaved women, street sweepers, elderly immigrants, research librarians. They may be peripheral to wider society, but they’re central to their neighborhood. It’s a love song to New York, and each story is polished but without preciousness or self-consciousness. I didn’t know Moss’s work before now, and I don’t think she’s available in the UK; this was a birthd ...more
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection is absolutely gorgeous. The characters are endearing and flawed and heartbreaking. The setting is evoked on every page, and even before you finish the last story, you feel like you know Bryant Park. Those who actually do know and love the city will be at home with this collection and the characters who inhabit it.
Christin Hanley

• Don't Feed the Trolls
  • Selected Stories
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • Modern American Memoirs
  • Requiem in Vienna (Viennese Mysteries #2)
  • Camp