Start by marking “Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody

Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody

Goodnight monsters everywhere, in this parody romp with its own special twist! "Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon."

It's bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all
Published August 14th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Goon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Goon

Start your review of Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bedtime can be scary - even for a little monster. Fun book for monsters of all ages.
Calista
Old Review
I love the art in this story! The subtitle says it all: Petrifying Parody.

My nephew really loved this with all the monsters. He is 4. He got into it. The niece liked it too, only not as much. They tried to find all the stuff in the pictures.

I enjoyed this little story. It is quirky and I like the twist it gives to the original. This is simply fun and a little on the creepy side of things, yet still safe. I wouldn't mind owning this book. It should be a Halloween staple.

Update:
I had to
Mariah Roze
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
My students loved this book :)
Eliza
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I read this at barnes and noble today and decided to mark on here this was very cute
Crystal Marcos
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very clever fun retelling of Goodnight Moon. I bought the book for my daughter in anticipating trying to battle scary monsters before they became scary. I love the artwork in this book. The cover is quite inviting. It is a great read-aloud book. I read it to my daughter who is 16 months and she sat through the whole book. She didn't mind the monsters one bit. She enjoyed a page were a big werewolf says "Boo". The book tells a story of a little werewolf settling in for the ...more
Ruth
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
In a cold gray tomb
There was a gravestone
And a black lagoon
And a picture of –
Martians taking over the moon

So begins this delightfully creepy parody of the bedtime classic, Goodnight Moon. Instead of Goodnight Moon’s bunny, Goodnight Goon features a young werewolf trying to go to sleep. The little werewolf says goodnight to many familiar Halloween sights such as mummies, bats and witches' hats, all in the familiar rhyming cadence of Goodnight Moon.

The artwork shows looks of spooky (but not too
John Wiswell
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clearly the preschooler I read it to liked it, since she immediately asked me to read it again. This is a fun parody of Goodnight Moon, replacing soothing items with ghoulish and monstrous ones. None of the art is too creepy, so even at its weirdest, it's unlikely to cause nightmares. A high quality gift for nerd parents and their children.
Cora
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Per my first graders: It was fun. It was funny. It was good. It was awesome. It was cool. It was great. It was amazing. It was, like, um brilliant! It was better than Goodnight Moon.
Hannah (FreeInFiction)
I read this book about 15 times in a row to a child I was babysitting so I think this should count as a book I read ...more
Joshua Gross
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. It's creepy and kooky and spooky and funny. It's way better than that stupid dreamer book we were promoting last month.
David
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodnight Goon (A Petrifying Parody) by Michael Rex is a creepy parody of the classic Good Night Moon. With a story suited for either a Monster or Halloween theme, Good Night Goon focuses on a creepy little monster's bedroom tomb, where litle monster is just getting settled for bed, when a mischevious goon comes in, ready to keep everyone up all night.

The text is funny and creepy starting with a listing of all the elements in the room, including a gravestone, a black lagoon, pictures of Martians
Rachel
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
very clever parody of goodnight moon. sure to be a hit with fans of the original book, especially parents who have been asked to read "goodnight moon" about 56 too many times. i'm not a big fan of the style of illustration; although it was very colorful, with lots of things for kids to look at and explore on each page, it was a bit too cartoony for my tastes. however, the writing was excellent, and i loved the ending "goodnight monsters everywhere."

Megan
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fun parody of Goodnight Moon. I want to use this and pair it with Goodnight Moon and Madeline, paired with its parody Frankenstein next Halloween. It would also be fun to introduce parody using Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Goon, and the new parody Goodnight IPad. What a fun lesson that would be!!
Prashant
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

A parody of [Book: Goodnight Moon] when a kid says goodnight to all the terrifying creatures he can imagine.

Don't know if this can be read as a children's bedtime story but if you have a mischievous, hard-ass punk kid at home, this is sure going to be his/her favorite!

Goodnight Monsters Everywhere!
Mir
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, holidays
A cute little read or gift for Halloween, but lacking the innocent charm of the original or the dork appeal of Goodnight Dune.
Lisa Vegan
I’ve never been a huge fan of Goodnight Moon, although I like it well enough. I think I like this parody of it a bit more. Love the tummies. Love the ending; it’s very smart. 3 stars ...more
Stacey M
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super cute Halloween read. Great for kids who love Goodnight Moon.
Savannah Hendricks
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm so late to the game. This book came out in 2008! Yikes, but it's great, perfect for Halloween!
Joanna
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for the household that loves Halloween and has had quite enough of Goodnight Moon, thank you very much. The cadence and concepts of Goodnight Moon are mimicked delightfully.
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is so adorable and so fun. Great Halloween read.
Becky
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Rex, Michael. Goodnight Goon.

Just in time for Halloween comes a monster-filled parody of a children's classic, Goodnight Moon. Goodnight Goon has it all--Martians, mummies, bats, werewolves, and much, much more. This book will make a great read aloud treat in October. And would definitely be a fun addition to school and classroom libraries everywhere. (This may just inspire a few more parodies of Goodnight Moon.)

In the cold gray tomb
There was a gravestone
And a black lagoon
And a picture of--
Liz
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Okay... another book read on We Give Books.org, though it's in my stack at school. I have to say I never was a GOODNIGHT MOON fan. Maybe it's because I had to read it so many times when my kids were little??? I actually like it more now; the break has been good. I've seen this monster parody all over the place, and actually have a few copies. Thought maybe I could use it to teach parody. (I am also looking to read "Where the Meek Things Are," another obvious parody.

I actually enjoyed this book.
Megan
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children who grew up on Goodnight Moon who are old enough to get the parody
Recommended to Megan by: Children's Book of Month Club
A petrifying Parody on Good night Moon. We have the original book memorized, and because this book has the exact same cadence we find it irresistible. the pictures add an extra funny component as the "goon" systematically eats everything in his room, causing the Martians taking over the Moon to leave their picture frame. As do the three little mummies rubbing their tummies.
"A comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush and a quiet old lady whispering hush" becomes...
"A skull and a shoe and a pot
Eva
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The idea of turning every kid’s beloved classic Goodnight Moon into Halloween tale is brilliant. My kids know by heart the words of Goodnight Moon and it adds a certain level of excitement. “In the cold gray tomb / There was a gravestone / And a black lagoon / And a picture of… Martians taking over the moon / And there were three little mummies rubbing their tummies…. “ I don’t know about you but I’m impressed with all the neat and awesome rhyming. Nothing feels forced and out of tune. We like ...more
Melissa
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this spooky parody of the classic bedtime story Goodnight Moon, we bid goodnight to all of the mummies, werewolves, and monsters going to bed in the tomb. Each page is filled with goofy illustrations perhaps suggesting that monsters aren't all that scary.

Instructional suggestions: parody, atmosphere, setting, text structures: (compare and contrast)
Genres: fiction, fantasy
Josiah
Sep 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book treads a thin line, poking gentle fun at a classic while trying not to be so severe as to turn off readers who have loved Margaret Wise Brown's original. I think that author Michael Rex has managed this balancing act quite well, and I found the text to be solidly humorous and fun. The mention on the book jacket of Michael Rex always having been a fan of "Goodnight Moon" helps his cause significantly, I think.
I would give one and a half stars to this book.
Heather
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with kids
This is a great little parody of Goodnight Moon to read to kids for the Halloween season. The artwork is really rather fun. I picked it up a few years ago and I read it every year, as it gets near Halloween.
Shawn Deal
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Here is a completely humorous version of a children's classic. As an adult who has read the classic many a time, this was a refreshing take on it. I am not sure how a little kid would like it, but I personally enjoyed it immensely.
Theresa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody (Paperback)
by Michael Rex
This is a themematic alternative to the original good night moon book, it has many Halloween characters, and the rhythm and rhythm of the original story.
Jeffrey
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Parents to read to the kids on Halloween
This take off on the popular Good night Moon children's tale was very inventive and the illustrations were fun, but my 6 year old's didn't get the whole plot and thought it was just okay. Its a little complicated for the young set, and who else is going to read it.

• Spooky Pookie
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Room on the Broom
  • Big Pumpkin
  • The Berenstain Bears Happy Halloween!
  • Mooseltoe