Start by marking “The Lost Girls” as Want to Read:
The Lost Girls

The Lost Girls

3.11  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Exploring the contradictory human desire for freedom and flight, and safety and security, a novel drawing on the themes of "Peter Pan" explores the experiences of a modern-day Wendy and five generations of daughters--the "lost girls.".
Published December 30th 2003 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Girls

Robin
Everyone who has an idea about writing a sequel to Peter Pan, listen up:

STOP IT.

Right now.

Put down the pen, and step away from the notebook.

You can't. Know why? Peter Pan was an unlikeable character, and I can say that b/c I love JM Barrie's original work.

But you, yes you, can't improve on it. All you can do is drag it down.
This book is no exception. Apparently, Wendy's granddaughter is an unlikable character as well. And rather than rejoice in the Neverland she's found, she whines, LORD does
Ashley Howard
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In 'The Lost Girls' tells the story of five generations of Darling women: Wendy (the original), Jane, Margaret, Wendy and Berry.
Every Darling woman is burdened by the famous story and eventually gets to meet the alluring Peter. All women fall in love with the boy, which leads to feeling of neglect and frustration as they inevitably... grow up.

I've always loved Peter Pan and the story of Neverland. I was excited to read a tale with more realistic views on the Lost Boys, Wendy Darling and the ble
Jillian
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this book reminded me of the 10 hour long road trips I used to take with my grandmother from Washington to Montana. Every few hours would be a beautiful park, hamlet, or town, but really all the in-between was just yellow grass.
Katie
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Wasn't really a fan of this. I debated giving it 2 stars, but I think the writing was okay. It just wasn't for me. I guess I was expecting something a little different. Maybe even just more focus on the time in Neverland? And every so often, the author threw in a "big word" that took me out of the story. They felt out of place.

And I guess it was one of those books that felt more like telling than showing. I don't feel like I really got to know the characters and I don't understand why Pan was su
Savannah
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Maybe it was too subtle for some readers? There were moments that shone with brilliance. You had to give it a careful read. Then it became not just about men and women but about mothers and daughters, and how "good" and "evil" and even genetic predisposition can be overruled. I felt like the book in a lot of ways was really about Berry and how she overrode Hook's "plans" as best as she could just by being who she truly was--and how her mother, supposedly genetically "good" turned out self-absorb ...more
Lucy March
Okay, so I can COUNT LITERALLY ON ONE HAND the books I've disliked so much I wanted to cry out, "Not only does this thing EXIST, but we've all been deprived of good paper!" Off the top of my head, I can think of about two: one being The Mark of Athena the other, The Fairest of Them All. I loathed both books, and was all the more bitterly disappointed because I had expected to like them (I love fairytales and Roman Myths after all!). But even with those two books, I was able to at least FINISH th ...more
Shazza Maddog
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is Ms. Fox's third novel and by the commentary on the back, I figured on something comedic and twistedly funny. Er...no. Well, if it was twistedly funny, I didn't find it.

The story revolves around Wendy Darling, the great-granddaughter of the original Wendy Darling - and Current-Wendy's relationships with her daughter, Berry, her husband, Freeman, her mother, Margaret, her great-grandmother, Nana-Wendy, her father, Daddy and of course, Peter Pan.

Okay, so Peter doesn't make too much of an a
Beth
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Annie Twitchell
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
A raw, rough, and passionate view into the world of imagination and reality and where the lines cross and blur, The Lost Girls was a stunning work of art.
Adrienne Kiser
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
In spite of the fact that this book deserves an award for "jacket description with misleading and incredibly tenuous link to actual plot", I really thought it was a well-written and engrossing piece of fiction. I'm a card-carrying member of the "I've got mommy issues" club, and anyone in my shoes (they're right over there by the door, feel free to try them on or take them for a spin around the block) will likely be attracted to this story as well.

Many of the other reviews seem to take the stance
Cheryl
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Loved the concept, but was ultimately disappointed by this book. Wendy Darling, the great-grandaughter of the original Wendy, has her own adventures with Peter Pan, as have all the Darling women just before they reach puberty. Are they all suffering from the same delusion or do they really go off to Neverland? The chain is broken when Wendy's daughter Berry, named after of course J.M. Barrie, fails to fly. She hovers for a just a minute, but comes crashing down to earth. Barrie has her own menta ...more
Michelle
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
An interesting off-shoot from the Peter Pan story...The writing style was vivid and beautiful, the story line a bit hard to believe. I found Fox to be writing of the inner workings of an artist. Artists must go from one world to another when working their magic. Reality becomes fuzzy, when you allow your imagination to fly. Wendy ultimately discovers there may just be 3 worlds: one with fantasy, one with reality and one somewhere in between where artist people can reside in peace.
Angelica
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Ehh I feel like giving this book three stars was a bit much. I did enjoy the beginning, then the middle took a turn for the worst, and the end was just idiotic. I don't understand why they all had this infatuation with pan? Were they all just weak minded women? They literally had nothing to be depressed about, especially Berry. (ugh she really annoyed me) The only thing I did semi enjoy was triple nana, she was the only character I really appreciated.
Tracey
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am disappointed by this book, the premise about generations of Darling women who all fly off to neverland and love Peter Pan for a brief moment, fell into a dark and manic sort of psychological study. I so wanted to have the story engage me but I had to force myself to go on, unable to simply abandon it! This 271 page book seemed like its pages were lead, I perseverd and got through it. This fanatsy had so much more potential!
Sep 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
A very quirky look at how the Darling women feel about Peter Pan. Every girl in the family gets a visit from him at a certain time in their lives, and each of them comes back reeling from the trip. One of the women becomes obssessed with Peter and how she could have held on to him longer. Honestly, it was a while ago that I read it, but I do remember enjoying it a lot. The only flaw I can recall is that I couldn't figure out why they all worshipped Peter when he was such a cad.
Elle
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I never read the original Barrie book but I like this book because the original story assumes that Wendy is a mother figure and the female characters are stoic, responsible and maternal. This book questions this role and its affect on women in a realistic sense. I like the fact that it blends psychological issues with a masculine oriented fairy tale. I have read some reviews where they didn't like the book but I find the book very likable when viewed by the right lens.
Anna
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost put this down when I realized it was a take on the Peter Pan story, but I liked it so much that I had to go on. I thought it was very cleverly done, and GoodReads synopsis will give you a hint as to whether you will like it or not. It was very dark in places, but humorous in others. I will definitely try her other novel My Sister From the Black Lagoon.
Kellie
Mar 19, 2012 marked it as didnt-finish
I really wanted to read this. I was looking forward to enjoying it and loving it, but alas, that did not happen.

I love love love new takes and twists on fairy tales, and Peter Pan is one of my favorites. However, this just dragged for me, and the jumps from past to present was confusing. I chose to give up.
Dylan
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I love new takes on classic tales, so when a friend told me about this book, I thought it was going to be right up my alley. However, I found the characters too whiny and dramatic. I was most excited over finding out what happened to Jane, but even that discovery felt rushed and a bit of a letdown. Just wasn’t my cup of tea.
Amy Gourley
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't care that much for this retelling of Peter Pan. Wendy (the orginal Wendy's great granddaughter) is an unlikeable character. All the Darling women have issues and they all seem to relate to their journeys to Neverland and Peter Pan. And there was the whole missing grandmother thing and nobody really asked about it-reminded me of LOST in this sense. I didn't get the ending either.
RJ
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
A dazzling new take on the tales of Wendy Darling. This book combines fairy tale magic with the rigours of womanhood to a dazzling end. A speculation on the chasm between mothers and daughters and the possiblity of complete mental breakdown inherent to adolescence, this novel is thoughtful, quirky, and wise.
Erin
Aug 11, 2011 added it
I really wanted to like this book, but it could never figure out what it was long enough for me to get to know it. Had potential, but was too scattered. Might pick up another of Fox's novels, because she has some moments of beauty but not high on my priority list.
Becky
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
This has been on my book shelf for a long time....I guess it should have stayed there.....the story never seemed tie together & it felt very confusing to me.....I would give it 1.5 stars if I could...
Stephanie James
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
What made this book for me were the scenes involving Peter. Whether it be the first meetings or the adventures in Neverland, the way it was written made me feel almost painfully nostalgic. It was bizarre, but obviously the Peter Pan figure means more to me than I initially thought.
Heather Reynolds
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really really really wanted to like this book because I thought the premise was really cool. Again the authors writing style is confusing. I just don't understand where she is going half the time. Her characters are not well developed. Such a shame.
Lee Ann
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
This was a major disappointment to me. Generations of Darling women with dysfunctional behaviors and inability to cope with the world and each other. The only good part for me was when I finished.
Mimi
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Didn't like this one. No real story line or character development. This is actually one of the few books that I didn't finish reading. The author seemed to focus more on the words used to tell the story instead of the story itself.
Hannah
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 .. This was quite an interesting read.
Caron
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I abandoned this book. It was just terrible.
Brittany
Feb 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not what I was expecting in the least. I thought it would be a retelling of Peter Pan but from Wendy's point of view. It was a rather depressing read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Other Oceans (Hook and Jill Saga, #2)
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • Another Pan (The Marlowe School, #2)
  • Always Neverland
  • An Awfully Big Adventure
  • Wendy
  • Neverland Academy
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Blood Tide (Never Land, #3)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Never After
  • Her
  • Tigerheart
  • Forever Neverland (Neverland Duet, #1)
  • Six Weeks to Toxic
  • Hooked
  • Stand by Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul

“What I could tell the boy was, the moment we are born appears to be the very same moment we forget we are loved. Now isn't this awkward? Shouldn't the two things dovetail, love and memory? Shouldn't a feeling that powerful be carved on a tree so no one can ignore its message? To come so far to be in this world only to forget something all-important - what kind of a journey is that? I'll bet that 90 percent of the love that surrounds us is dismissed or discounted - the cup of tea a friend makes, the letter from a faraway auntie. The fact that no one feels loved enough merely proves my point.” 3 likes