Start by marking “How it Works: The Cat (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)” as Want to Read:
How it Works: The Cat (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)

How it Works: The Cat

(Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups)

This delightful book is the latest in the series of Ladybird books which have been specially planned to help grown-ups with the world about them.

The large clear script, the careful choice of words, the frequent repetition and the thoughtful matching of text with pictures all enable grown-ups to think they have taught themselves to cope.

Featuring original Ladybird artwork
Published October 20th 2016 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about How it Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How it Works

abby
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even in the context of being a novelty book, I can't recommend this in any shape or fashion. It takes all of ten minutes to read, and the humor is recycled and flat.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Edelweiss.
Adrian
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are a cat lover and/or owner you cannot help but laugh at some of these observations on our feline friends. I especially like the following, the one about stocking up on food, the one about how cats read and the the one about "Tibbles-Ra".
I am sure all cat lovers will recognise this behaviour, it's why we love them.
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Tongue-in-cheek descriptions sit opposite 1950s-style drawings. Cat owners will certainly get a chuckle from lines like “Dogs have evolved to serve many sorts of human needs. And humans have evolved to serve many sorts of cat food.” (However, “It is a good idea to buy a lot of your cat’s favourite food. That way, you will have something to throw away when she changes her mind.”) Makes a good coffee table book for your guests to smile at.

[I purchased this as a bargain book from Aldi and haven’t c
Michelle Keill
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now been cat-less for nine months as my beloved Trixie passed away in March. We were together for 18 years - 18 happy years of attending to her every whim. This book made miss her demands, and her love, even more. It's very funny though.
Hilary
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of cats and vintage illustrations
Beautiful vintage illustrations from ladybird books and quite amusing commentary on cats. A lovely picture of Bach being pestered by his cat whilst composing and a mouse impersonating Elton John to escape Elton's cat. The cat wasn't fooled.

This is one of the funnier books in this series.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cats

Furry, cuddly, decorative ne'er do wells. They don't actually do anything. They are generally self centred and yet we love and adore them.

This adult guide focuses on cats and their owners, and basically shows how we are wound round their little paws and controlled by them.

Even a non-cat owner such as myself can be drawn into this silent adoration of the felines and spend hours watching them on Youtube.

We are all drawn to them and they basically rule things and we know this but ignore it.

Cats
Freya
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to review a book this short! This is basically a mish mash of illustrations plucked from old Ladybird books with some modern text about a particular subject put against it.

I would give this a 3 star, but as it had some funny pages but not a laugh a page, so I'd say it is probably 2-2.5 stars.
Gerry
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'How it Works: The Cat' opens with the irrefutable statement 'A pet cat can be great fun' and it goes on to explain the joys of owning a cat together with some historical incidents in the lives of more famous cats.

We are told that although cats are ''warm and cuddly' they 'do very little in return' ... it begs the question, 'do they need to?' Surely just being our pets is sufficient?

We are advised to always buy 'a lot of your cat's favourite food' because often they change their mind and sudden
Melissa
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been noticing these Ladybirds for Grown-Ups books all over the place lately, and was secretly hoping I'd receive one (or a Five on Brexit Island!) for Christmas. So imagine my delight when I tore open the paper to discover The Cat.

Never a truer word on the feline condition has been written. Cats are selfish, self-centered, semi-homicidal tiny maniacs, and I want to cuddle them all. Of course mine love me to pieces, but the cats featured in this enlightening tome are surely more reflective o
Belinda Missen
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My husband doesn't yet know he's getting this for Christmas.

Neither does the cat. But that's okay. He'll take a photo of the book, with the cat, and then Instagram it to make sure everyone knows we have a cat, one that looks just like the cover model.

And the cat still won't give a shit.
Mandy Radley
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
For all cat lovers. Very funny.
Shelli
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Cat was the first Fireside Grown-Up Guide I'd ever read (or even heard of), and I had also never heard of the apparently very historic Ladybird children's series on which they are based (were they a British thing?). But it was the obvious one for me to start with, since I am a lifelong servant of the feline species and have come to know them very well. Clearly, so have the authors, although I don't think they are particularly fond of them.

As novelty books go,
Melanie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most adults remember the Ladybird books from childhood. Zoom forward 20 odd years (Give or take) and you now have the collection for adults.

How it Works: The Cat was my first in the collection bought for me as a Christmas Gift (Please note I requested it). I am cat crazy with 5 felines in my house which I'd like to say are mine, but in honesty I think they own us. This book is for those with a sense of humour who have ars**ole cats - perfect for me as most my cats are male and act like gods gift
Greg
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Another cute Ladybird Book for Grown-Ups full of cynical and sarcastic humour, in this case abounding with clichés about pet cats. As with other books in the series, illustrations on diverse subjects culled from the original Ladybird series, which was intended for children, are juxtaposed with new text but in the same large, easy-to-read print of the originals.

Good for a few a few minutes' worth of chuckles (and for helping to rapidly meet your annual reading challenge)!
Alex Sarll
Most of the jokes revolve around cats being disloyal, awkward and unrewarding, so this turns out to have been ideal propaganda disguised as a thoughtful present for someone who keeps suggesting we should get a cat.
Carol
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So funny; my first 'Ladybird for Grownups' and it won't be the last. A series of cats provoke a series of insightful comments. Only someone who is allowed to share their house with a cat or two would understand the humour. Loved it. A great Christmas present.
Lou Robinson
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing little Ladybird book! Thanks Faith.
Soho_Black
Over the years, I’ve read numerous parody books and the majority have been seriously lacking, adding very little to the source material and, in most cases, not really being particularly amusing. Whilst the modern-day versions of Ladybird books are perhaps more homage than parody, in some cases, the same can be said of them and “How It Works: the Cat” is one of the more serious offenders.

The style is a perfect homage, with the large text and stock pictures being put together in the same way as th
Hannah Polley
Oct 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jason-hazeley
I am not a fan of cats so I don't think this book was really for me.

I found it to be an odd book as it seems to be written for very small children (ones who have just started learning to read) yet I don't think children would get all of the jokes in this. I don't see how they would find it funny.

I ended this book feeling confused about who the target audience for this book was.

The pictures and text really reminded me of the Peter & Jane books.
Sophie
Thank you Rachel for the book and the joke 😂😘
Paul
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well and truly hilarious. As someone who is owned by a cat (because we all know we don't own them) I found it so relatable. A quick, funny read guaranteed to amuse cat lovers.
Samantha
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-2018
Read for the BookTubeAThon lol
Dane Cobain
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me smile and gave me the warm fuzzies. It’s a tongue-in-cheek guide to cats – and described my cat perfectly. Worth having!
Edwina Harvey
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wondered why on earth I'd been given this (apparently) kids book for Christmas. Then I started reading it, and it got funnier and funnier. The tongue-in-cheek simple narrative is accompanied by appropriate 1960s-school-reader style illustration. Take, for example: "This door does not have a cat flap, so it is hard for animals to get into the house. Dead voles, dead birds, dead rats and front halves of mice all have to stay on the door step, along with the cat."

By the time I'd finished reading
Babs
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A must have for any cat lover who is nostalgic for the better quality of children's books us gen x-ers had
Laura Fearnley
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a ladybird with cats. What else do you need
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think there's people who like cats and people who don't. I like cats. This book fully encompasses the knowledge that cat people love cats and that cats also love cats. It looks s funnily accurate.
Emily G
I was given this book as a fun Christmas present, and although a couple of pages made me chuckle, not many did. I don't think whoever wrote this is a cat lover, to be honest. 2 stars
Craig
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cat owners have long known that they're not in charge of their cat. It's the other way around. And if you love cats you'll find yourself nodding wryly at every page of this amusing book.
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01KUO8YZ2
Reviewed For NetGalley and Touchstone
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.25 Starts

Humorous is the first word that comes to mind to describe this book. Just a few pages that will lift your spirits. If you have ever been owned by a cat or thought of merging
« previous 1 3 next »

• Off the Leash: The Secret Life of Dogs
  • Goats of Anarchy: One Woman's Quest to Save the World One Goat at a Time
  • Rebus's Scotland
  • Rover Saves Christmas
  • Lecciones de vida por catsass
  • Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin (Russell Brand’s Trickster Tales, #1)
  • Five Go Gluten Free (Enid Blyton for Grown-ups)
  • The Creeps
  • The Science of Game of Thrones: From the genetics of royal incest to the chemistry of death by molten gold - sifting fact from fantasy in the Seven Kingdoms
  • The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus: The Mathematics of Christmas
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World (Simon's Cat, #4)
  • Wimbledon Green
  • The Legend of Zelda: Legendary Edition, Vol. 5: Four Swords

Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Ladybird Book of Dating
  • How it Works: The Student
  • How it Works: The Dog (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups Book 4)
  • How it Works: The Grandparent (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
  • The Ladybird Book of the Meeting (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups 29)
  • The Ladybird Book of the People Next Door (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
  • The Ladybird Book of Red Tape (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups 30)
  • The Ladybird Book of the Sickie (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
  • The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
  • The Ladybird Book Of Boxing Day