Start by marking “MatchUp” as Want to Read:
MatchUp

MatchUp

(To Die #7.5)

In this incredible follow-up to the New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller FaceOff, twenty-two of the world’s most popular thriller writers come together for an unforgettable anthology.

MatchUp takes the never-before-seen bestseller pairings of FaceOff and adds a delicious new twist: gender. Eleven of the world’s best female thriller writers from Diana Gabaldon to Charlain
Published June 13th 2017 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about MatchUp, please sign up.
Crystal By the way, notice the people who've answered this. a lot of outraged white people. I don't see people of color complaining that I'm calling this out.…moreBy the way, notice the people who've answered this. a lot of outraged white people. I don't see people of color complaining that I'm calling this out. Privilege hates to be called out. I hope you've all commented because deep down it makes you feel a little guilty, and I hope that guilt encourages you to consider your relationship with people outside your little comfort bubble, notice the people who aren't like you, and make some room for them in your life and world too.(less)
A book away from an episode of hoarders I don't think it matters in which order you read them unless its a continuity issue for a series you're reading. If you're caught up in the series, th…moreI don't think it matters in which order you read them unless its a continuity issue for a series you're reading. If you're caught up in the series, then it shouldn't matter. There are likely some things that are referenced in stories that may or may not have happened yet in the series though.

The book you are looking for is ISBN: 9781476762067 btw(less)

Start your review of MatchUp
Jan
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My summary to this eclectic mish mosh assortment of short stories?

CLEVER!!

22 of some of the most popular mystery writers are paired together to collaborate. Each taking one of their well known main characters and throwing them together, creating mini tales of suspense that are truly quite engaging!

I think what I enjoyed the most actually had nothing to do with any of the plot lines or suspense, even though they all held my interest. It was the witty humor and banter that was displayed between t
Carol
I read the initial three stories. Two were fine, but not special or satisfying. One was all humor, which is not what I'm seeking when I want to read thrillers and police procedurals. I suspect this collection is only for those besotted by the concept, but - take all the famous names off of these stories and -- I doubt very many readers would read or rate them at 3 or above. YMMV.
Sandy
I love these collections. Some days it’s so hard to find time to block out the rest of the world & disappear into a great book. With these shorties, you can spend 20 minutes in your favourite hiding spot & enjoy a complete story from some of the best known thriller writers.

Each is a collaboration between 2 authors & there are some interesting pairs here. There are 11 tales in all, representing a diverse range of sub genres…..contemporary, historical, paranormal, romance & pure crime. Everyone wi
Mo
Jun 21, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for the first story in the book.

This book caught my eye because some of the authors are my favourites. Sandra Brown, Karin Slaughter, Diana Gabaldon. Was lucky enough to receive a copy from Netgalley and the first story in the anthology is co-written by Sandra Brown. It features Lee Coburn, the hero of her book Lethal. On finishing Lethal, I felt a bit let down as there was no real closure. Yes, we could use our imaginations and picture five years down the road but, you know me, I love
Monnie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Short stories, that is. With few exceptions - most notably Ernest Hemingway's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" and Guy De Maupassant's "The Necklace" - I tend to avoid them like the plague.

Well, okay, that worked until 2014, when I ran across FaceOff - a compilation of short stories, each co-written by two well-known members of International Thriller Writers, that pair up characters readers have come to know and love. That one, edited by David Baldacci, was
Sean Peters
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Lee Child (editor), and Simon & Schuster for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with an honest review.

Mackey
I generally try to read this group's books when they publish because they are such great short stories. This was no exception. The premise is to pair two authors of the same general genre and together they will write a story featuring their most beloved characters. This time, however, it proved more interesting as you had time travelers paired with hard core detectives, vampires with police detectives and beloved characters like Temperance Brennan with loner Jack Reacher. Great stuff!!

I admit t
Tim
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I don't care much for short stories. Finally, with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd, these shorties rule. Consequently, I will be reading and adding some new authors to my repertoire. 9 of 10 stars
Tiffany PSquared
This follow-up to the FaceOff anthology is a thrilling battle of the sexes! Male & female authors collaborate to connect some of their most beloved characters in this collection of crime thrillers that range from westerns to the paranormal.

My favorites of the bunch? It's hard to pick just one, so I'll go with two: Short Story (Karin Slaughter & Michael Koryta) and Deserves to be Dead (Lisa Jackson and John Sandford).

I really enjoyed the audiobook version of this with several different narrators
Carol
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting concept, and how the authors were chosen and how they wrote their stories. In this one it was compiled as follows: 1) Lee Coburn & Joe Picket: They wrote the following "honor and......" performed by C.J. Box & Sandra Brown. 2) Tony Hill & Roy Grace, they wrote the following: "Footloose" Val McDermid and Peter James. 3) Temprance Brennan and Jack Reacher wrote about the following: "Faking a Murderer" performed by Kathy Reichs and Lee Child. 4. Jamie Fraser and Cotton Ma ...more
David Highton
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A good set of short stories, all written by a male/female combination of thriller writers. Enjoyed them all except the vampires, I don't do vampires!
Matt
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Lee Child (editor), and Simon & Schuster for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

When asked to take the editorial lead in the latest International Thriller Writers (ITW) anthology, Lee Child jumped at the opportunity. What might be daunting for some--herding twenty-two well-known authors together like feral cats--turned out to be a great pleasure for Child and, in the end, the reader. Th
Kathy Davie
Eleven short stories in a MatchUp of fiction and thriller writers — a man and a woman pairing — revolving around a blend of the main characters in each pair of authors’ series.

The Series
”Honor &…” (Lee Coburn is a character from Lethal and Joe Pickett)
“Footloose” (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan and Roy Grace)
“Faking a Murderer” (Temperance Brennan and Jack Reacher)
“Past Prologue” (Jamie Fraser from Outlander and Cotton Malone)
“Rambo on Their Minds” (Liz Sansborough and Rambo)
“Short Story” (Je
LJ
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-two of the best contemporary mystery/thriller writers teamed up to write eleven amazing short stories. Each story is written by a pair consisting of one woman and one man, and each pair brought together one of the protagonists for which they are famous. The pairings are:
-Lee Coburn and Joe Pickett in “Honor & …” by Sandra Brown and C.J. Box
-Tony Hill and Roy Grace in “Footloose” by Val McDermid and Peter James
-Temperance Brennan and Jack Reacher in “Faking a Murderer” by Kathy Reichs and
Marianne
Match Up is an anthology of eleven short stories written by twenty-two authors. Lee Child edited, wrote the forward and also contributed to one of the stories. All the authors are published (no novices here) and most are well-known. But not all are experienced in writing short stories, or in collaborating with other authors. Each story is prefaced by some commentary about how the collaboration worked, and there is an author biography for each one at the end.

It’s an interesting concept, to match
Melenia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
-Lee Coburn and Joe Pickett in “Honor & …” by Sandra Brown and C.J. Box – 5 stars
-Tony Hill and Roy Grace in “Footloose” by Val McDermid and Peter James – 4 stars
-Temperance Brennan and Jack Reacher in “Faking a Murderer” by Kathy Reichs and Lee Child – 5 stars
-Jamie Fraser and Cotton Malone in “Past Prologue” by Diana Gabaldon and Steve Berry – 3 stars
-Liz Sansborough and Rambo in “Rambo on Their Minds” by Gayle Lynds and David Morrell – 3 stars
-Jeffrey Tolliver and Joe Pritchard in “Short Stor
Julie Garner
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
What a clever collection and collaboration. Not only did I get to see my favourite author/character stories, but I was introduced to some lovely new authors and characters.
This book matches a female thriller writer with a male thriller writer and puts them to work together on a story that combines their most loved characters. Who could ever have imagined Temperance Brennan in the same world as Jack Reacher, working together to uncover the truth? As far as I can tell, every story stayed true to i
Book Him Danno
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lee Child took 22 well known authors paired two of them together. Each other bringing their out style of writing and merging it with another author. Bring together the most amazing anthology I have read in a long time. Either authors voice was over powering the authors voice and in fact I couldn't tell you where one ended and one began with each new story.

The Match up has something for everyone From Historical to paranormal from Thriller to Crime the authors work so well together you are not s
Pop
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I like short stories. I like that I can finish one while waiting for the doctor, dentist, barber or whoever finally has thought ”Maybe he has waited long enough so he won’t be too pissed off.” I’ve been seeing a lot of those characters lately by the way. For the most part these were just OK. I give 3 excellent, 3 sorry and the rest, well ho hum. Therefore my 3 stars. You can read them and make your own opinions, if you want to that is.
Bruce Hatton
This collection of short stories is a follow-up to one called “Face Off”, which I haven’t read. In this collection one male and one female crime writer are paired off to create a short story featuring their respective heroes and heroines.
An interesting concept although, I must confess, with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Conan-Doyle’s “Sherlock Holmes”) I’m not a huge fan of the short story format. It hardly allows for enough time to fully develop characters and create the intricate plots I most
Jim
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Faceoff, but it was still enjoyable. The International Thriller Writers don't charge dues, but support their organization by publishing these short story books. 22 authors created 11 short stories with their characters paired - usually. A notable exception in this case was Morrell's Rambo, unfortunately. The story was still pretty good, but not as good as it could have been.

A few of the stories were really good, none were awful. Many could have used some tigh
Zoey
What a fun way to find new authors, seeing some of their most well-known characters teaming up together.
Being a massive Outlander fan, my personal favourite was Past Prologue by Diana Gabaldon & Steve Berry. Any Outlander fans interested to know a little bit more information relating to Jamie & the ‘Frenchman’s Gold’ from Voyager this fill ins some unanswered bits 😊
Lisa
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I came for Jeffrey Tolliver, who I'm still in mourning for, but I stayed for the rest. It sure was nice being with Jeffrey again. I enjoyed most of these pairings, even the one I was certain to dislike.."I'm looking at you, James Frasier!" This is a book I'd recommend.
Ben
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun team up book. It was nice reading the introductions to the stories and for the most part they were all fun short stories, a medium that doesn't get enough love.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
FANTASTIC.
IOU a THOROUGH review if each story...all are at least 4-star quality, imo therefore, I'm giving away one of my stingy and strictly guarded "5-*" ratings to this excellent anthology collection.
more details when I'm able...
cheers! Lisa
Bea
Only 1 dud, which is good for an anthology, but nothing that stood out either. It was a good way to sample authors I'd heard of but not read and to see again characters I enjoy from authors I read. The narration was good; all of the narrators did a good job.
Teresa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I only read two of the short stories in this book...the one co-wrote by Diana Gabaldon and featuring Outlander characters and the Karin Slaughter one featuring Jeffrey Tolliver in 1993. And all I can say was that both were so clever and fun. I wasn't familiar with the authors they wrote with, or their characters, but that didn't matter. I enjoyed both quite a bit. I think any fan of either author would enjoy their stories.
Suzanne
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A clever collection of short stories, co-authored by well-known thriller writers, provides an ideal summer respite. There's no way this book won't be the perfect addition to every vacation or weekend getaway. If, like me, you haven't met an author before, these stories provide a welcome introduction. For those I already knew, it was just a pleasure to meet them in this setting. I received my copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Randy Tramp
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MatchUp takes 11 best female thriller writers and pairs them with 11 best male thriller writers.
I absolutely loved this book. Each short story has a review below the title. I plan to meet many characters in the author's other books.

-Lee Coburn and Joe Pickett in “Honor & …” by Sandra Brown and C.J. Box
"The man was a bulldog. The worst kind," said Lee Coburn to Joe Pickett.
"One of these times you pop up like a Whac-A-Mole, they're going to blow your head off," said Pickett to Coburn.
Both Coburn a
Luanne Ollivier
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm leaving the cover of Matchup a little larger this time so you can see the wealth of authors who contributed to this compilation. But if you look again, you'll see that they are paired - pairings that you wouldn't expect to see. For in Matchup, two well known authors have take their signature characters and co-written a short story featuring the two. Lee Child is the editor and he provides a small commentary before each story, giving some background on the authors as well as the collaboration ...more

• Faceoff
  • Dig Here
  • Deserves to be Dead
  • Taking the Veil
  • Midnight Flame
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • Footloose: Tony Hill and Carol Jordan vs. Roy Grace
  • Jeffrey Tolliver vs Joe Pritchard
  • Honor & ...
  • Faking a Murderer
  • Rambo on Their Minds
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • Past Prologue
  • Thriller 2
  • The Devil's Bones: Cotton Malone vs. Gray Pierce
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Inherit the Dead
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

To Die (8 books)
  • Left To Die (To Die, #1)
  • Chosen To Die (To Die, #2)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • Afraid To Die (To Die, #4)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Deserves To Die (To Die, #6)
  • Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)