Start by marking “The Secret Life of a Black Aspie: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of a Black Aspie: A Memoir

The Secret Life of a Black Aspie: A Memoir

Anand Prahlad was born on a former plantation in Virginia in 1954. This memoir, vividly internal, powerfully lyric, and brilliantly impressionistic, is his story.

For the first four years of his life, Prahlad didn’t speak. But his silence didn’t stop him from communicating—or communing—with the strange, numinous world he found around him. Ordinary household objects came
Published February 15th 2017 by University of Alaska Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of a Black Aspie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of a Black Aspie

Start your review of The Secret Life of a Black Aspie: A Memoir
Lisa Higgins
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read most of Prahlad's memoir with a lump in my throat: lumps of awe, fear, memory, angst, worry, joyousness, and awakening

My mind bent and my heart cracked on every page. His stories are important contexts for the latest chapters in our collective histories.
Alice Lemon
I'm still trying to decide what to think of this book, and I'm not entirely sure if I should've given it three stars or four. I can't say I liked it, exactly, but I think it was important. The author's very stream-of-consciousness style was certainly a change, and perhaps shouldn't surprise me as much given that he is a literature professor.

A number of things that Prahlad talks about---including the hints that he is genderfluid or otherwise non-binary, and his spirituality and feelings of being
BMR, LCSW
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up from the library because of the cover. It stood out on the table.

This book is loosely a memoir, it's really a series of stories from the author's life. It's got a lot of details missing that I think would make this even better.

The author grew up on a Virginia plantation that his family had lived on for generations, including centuries of his ancestors enslaved on that same plantation. Like his mom and grandma, Prahlad could see and hear spirits. He also could taste colors. Prahl
Scgmom4yahoo.com
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I took this book out on a whim and was amazed at how moved I was, especially by the first half. It created a world that was so evocative I will long remember this book.

I've never read about a child growing up with grandparents and ancestors who were slaves, similar to holocaust survivors. That part of US history is not taught in school.

I never learned how some former slaves stayed nearby the plantations, and within two generations created their own very self sufficient and skilled communities.
Erica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, sexuality
I want to reread the first half to pay more attention to the language rather than the story; it was haunting and beautiful and important.
EF
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully reflective, lyrical memoir. One of those books you'll never stop thinking about as a reader.
Terri
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. This book is beautiful.
Zac Thriffiley

• Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed
  • Søsterklokkene
  • The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
  • The Crunk Feminist Collection
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading
  • A Fierce Heart: Finding Strength, Courage, and Wisdom in Any Moment
  • The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels
  • Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors
  • Fearless and Free: How Smart Women Pivot — And Relaunch Their Careers
  • Meditations for Happiness: Rewire Your Brain for Lasting Contentment and Peace
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
  • The Hummingbird's Daughter
  • Desire of the Everlasting Hills: The World Before and After Jesus
  • The Far Field
  • Malcolm and Me
Anand Prahlad is the author of the Permafrost Prize-winning memoir The Secret Life of a Black Aspie. He has published two books of poems, Hear My Story and Other Poems and As Good As Mango, as well as poems and creative nonfiction in literary journals such as Fifth Wednesday, Water~Stone Review, Copper Nickle, Pleiades, The Chariton Review, and Natural Bridge. He recently completed a new collectio ...more