Start by marking “The Art of Cycling” as Want to Read:
The Art of Cycling

The Art of Cycling

The autobiography of a cycling legend.

On the afternoon of Sunday, the first of February 2015, Cadel Evans crossed the finish line in the first-ever race of the event that would immortalise his name: the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race. At that moment, an extraordinary cycling career, spanning 20 years and more than 750 professional races, came to a close.

Now, looking

Published October 20th 2016 by ABC Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Cycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Cycling

Sean Lee
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is probably one for cycling fanatics who have watched Cadel's career evolve over the years. It focuses almost exclusively on cycling so those wanting glimpses into his personal life will be left disappointed. It does however reveal some quirky insights into the great man's personality. I found the fact that he lists the Dalai Lama and Tintin as two of his heroes and then devotes paragraph after paragraph extolling the virtues of Tintin without giving the Dalai Lama another mention quite amu ...more
Ross
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sporting masterpiece. Written with sincerity, clarity and emotion. An enthralling journey, stretching from the childhood commute to school, the world championship on the mountain bike, transition to the road bike, and (after several years of frustration during the era of the drug-cheats) the world championship, and victory in the Tour de France. The work is replete with insights into the ruthless and gruelling world of professional cycling. We see how Evans's relentless commitment, determinati ...more
Sophie Dowling
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cadel restored my faith in professional cycling. I was very discouraged after reading Floyd and Tyler's books so great to hear about hard work and determination paying off.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a bit of a Tour de France cycling-tragic.....so it was a no brainer that I would buy this...and enjoy it. I have been reading it in bits and pieces over the past year. (When you know how the story ends...why hurry!)

For anyone who has watched Cadel across his career....this book makes you want to watch some of the old races over again....this time having a bit more insight into what was happening to him and to the team.

He is the consummate professional. So committed...so serious. He deserves
Ross McDougall
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great insight into cycling competition, and into the lengths to which one can push the body if efficiency and excellence is prioritised above all.

I never knew Evans was a mountain-biking world champion before he switched to road racing, and all the origin story information was fantastic. It was great to see the parts all come together to allow a boy from rural Australia move to Europe and take on the giants in the cycling world.

Of particular note, I really enjoyed the writing style of
AngelaCC
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I do not generally read autobiographies, I am a keen road cyclist and in the pursuit of being a better rider, being fairly new to the sport, I undertook this book in the hope that I may learn some tricks from a professional.
It was an interesting upbringing, raw, humble and very grounding. Cadel had a passion for cycling from a young age and as an only child, learnt to rely on himself and his abilities and trained hard in the pursuit to be better. It was interesting though, halfway throug
Rob
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was mostly an enjoyable book which clearly felt like it was Cadel's voice, rather than a ghost writer's. You get a real sense of how strong his work ethic is, and his monastic-like drive to focus on success and not be affected by issues such as drugs in sport.

The problem is, he doesn't know how to tell a great story. So there are part where he hints at something interesting--like where young riders try to use tactics against him, and he thwarts them--which he doesn't expound upon properly.
Jos
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the insight into the cycling world, and it's been a great prelude to the Tour de France. I'm now hyped and ready to watch the racing. Cadel had an easy writing style that almost made you feel like you were sitting down having an espresso with him.
The ups and down of a professional athlete are different, yet the same as those of us in other professional jobs. Often more physical, granted, but there are the bureaucracies, the squabbles, the physical environment, the equipment... a
AshishB
Wow. What a tough journey this has been. It was so painful to read that a person like Cadel Evans had to go thru so much hardwork and pain to become of the most glorious riders in the world. So many accidents, its just so unrealistically painful. Cadel Evans has new level of respect in my mind now.
Great Book. Great Story. Great Hard Work and Suffering to become the best of the best!
Mitchell
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having followed Cadel's career quite intently, particularly his tour de France assaults, I found this a very enjoyable read. Plenty of insight into Cadel's life growing up and behind the scenes thoughts throughout his career. Easy to read and very enyjoyable
Zeyad Sweidan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great and detailed insights with sincerity into what a pro cyclists go through ups and downs and emotions. Really great book
Kjell Ljøstad
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Veldig fin biografi fra en av sportens flotteste representanter.
Brendan Ingram
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm an Australian guy, about the same age as Cadel. I have raced bikes most of my life, although nowhere near the level of Cadel. It was great to read the stories of his youth, as it took me back to mine - reading about and admiring the riders and events of the 90's, both in MTB and road.

The book was great. Cadel has a unique style, as anyone who has seen him be interviewed can attest to. His writing style is similar, and is perfectly readable. I would give the book 5 stars for Cadel's storytell
L-T Hopper
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great read. The Art of Cycling is mostly hard work.
Richard Bowen
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read, well-written. Cadel puts his perspective and provides fascinating insights into his life, racing and the people in racing. Highly recommended.
Mark Alderdice
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was going to be just another book by another ex athlete looking to cash in on his career but Cadel is actually a really good writer. I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down
Ben Connolly
While a couple of good anecdotes and insights makes this an overall interesting read, it is in desperate need of some sharp editing and re-focusing.
Darragh Murray
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I do have a soft spot for cycling autobiographies and Cadel's is quite interesting. The writing quality can sometimes vary, but its generally quite readable with concise and succinct prose. In many ways it reads a bit like a journal - which wasn't really unexpected. By far the most interesting parts was reading about Cadel's transition from a world-class mountain bike rider to a road rider. His struggles with various pro teams he was on gives a real insight into how modern cycling works. He tell ...more
Trev
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really interesting insight of the world of cycling and of what the media portrays is not necessarily the true story. I did get the sense from the book though that not the full story was being told either. He did seem to gloss over the drug cheats that he had relationships with such as George Hincapie while condemning others. He is still a great Australian champion that achieved a great deal with a lot of hard work and persistence.
Marco Spaccavento
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of sporting books and despite being a cyclist, didn't know Cadel's story well before picking it up. However, the story and the writing style grabbed me from the beginning and made this a very enjoyable book. I'd recommend it even to non-cyclists; and as a cyclist I learned a lot about the sport at the highest level.
Gary Morris
Fiona
Feb 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
1 follower
Cadel Lee Evans AM is an Australian former professional racing cyclist and winner of the 2011 Tour de France. - Wikipedia