Start by marking “Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)

Chameleon Moon

(Chameleon Moon #1)

The city of Parole is burning. Like Venice slips into the sea, Parole crumbles into fire.

The entire population inside has been quarantined, cut off from the rest of the world, and left to die - directly over the open flame. Eye in the Sky, a deadly and merciless police force ensures no one escapes. Ever. All that’s keeping Parole alive is faith in the midst of horrors and
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 382 pages
Published October 11th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon Moon

Laura (bbliophile)
Review originally posted on bbliophile.wordpress.com

Excuse my language, but holy fucking shit. This book. It’s so good!!!

I started reading this book back in April, and it took me 3 months to finish. I’m not exactly sure why, but I’m glad that it took me so long. I’m happy I got to spend so much time with the characters and in this world, because I had a wonderful time.

The characters are, in my opinion, the best part of this book. They’re all so real, wonderful, and shit, there are literal tears
Mel
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review of the first edition

I haven’t read a book that wasn’t a romance or at least had a romantic story arc in quite a while and usually, to be honest, they don’t really capture me and, um, I get easily bored. But not so this time. Right from the first page I was totally sucked in by the engaging writing style of the author, by the unusual– and also diverse– cast of characters, and by the mystery that is hidden in every pore of the book. Until the end, the reader is learning and discovering, and
Wart Hill
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review, lgbtq, fantasy
The rep in this book is exactly what I want. Casual queerness. Non binary characters, binary trans characters, gay characters. Just. Characters who HAPPEN TO BE QUEER and it's NBD. It's exactly what I want, especially in speculative fiction.

Unfortunately the book itself fell flat for me. I could not immerse myself in this world. I was bored from the start and I couldn't get into it the entire time. I don't know if it's the POV-shifting - so much head hopping - or what but as much as I wanted to
Shira Glassman
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of queer dystopian, anyone looking for good transfeminine representaton
The setup for Chameleon Moon is that Parole, an American city of unspecified location, has been completely cut off from the rest of the country by government blockade in order to contain the chaos that ensued when a medication started giving everyone random and in some cases uncontrollable superpowers. For reasons that I assumed were either governmental/deliberate or accidental but turn out to be more complicated (spoilers!), the city's reserve of oil has also been ignited, meaning that fires ar ...more
Ceillie Simkiss
MY HEART. THIS BOOK HAS STOLEN IT.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I'm going to preface this by saying that I honestly didn't mean to take this long to read it. Life got in the way. First year of college, and a lot of other personal things that I don't feel like delving into for a review.

Right when I started this, I was hooked. That prologue was amazing, and it thrust me right into the story. From there, it only slowed down a little bit after initial action had taken place, which made the pacing perfect all the way through it. There were dynamics that were expl
Elle Maruska
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much.

I've been attempting to read more indie books and authors, and as I follow Sylver on Twitter I thought this would be a good place to start and I'm so glad I took the chance. I love this book, I love it in so many ways that it's hard to describe. But I'll try!

I love that this book is fearless.

When you read a lot of genre (like I do) you get used to a set of tropes and borders in stories. There are certain things you know that different genres will do--whether it's SciFi
Claudie Arseneault
"What did you think?" asks Goodreads, but I am not sure I can properly put words on how much I adore this book.

CHAMELEON MOON is everything I wish dystopian and post-apocalyptic worlds were all the day. I love my settings bleak. I love it when everything went wrong, shit hit the fan big time, and the one question on everyone's mind is "how am I going to make it through?"

And I love these because of the intense, selfless acts of compassion people do in ugly times. I love to see GOOD people holdin
B.R. Sanders
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Notes on Diversity:
SO. MUCH. DIVERSITY.

The book follows a tight-knit group of erstwhile superheroes--and most of them are dealing with mental and/or physical disabilities. A number of them are clearly people of color. The main character is a trans woman, and she's basically the best!! There is am interracial queer poly family that is sweet and functional.

Diversity is firing on all cylinders here. A toast to that.

giphy

Review:
What if there was a magic cure-all drug that could fix what was wrong with yo
ButYouGotMySoul
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is fabulous! There's not another word for it. There are a few editorial mistakes, however the story more than makes up for that. Trans and queer positive and representative, this story has something for everyone.

Compelling story, wonderful representation, and lively writing.

Here's to hoping for a sequel!
Chasia Lloyd
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read I never wanted to end. So much queer love and comfort. Now, there is a lot of pain and hurt, too, but lots of love and comfort to balance it out. There is hope in a dystopian society, a message my bruised heart needed to see.
Luce
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. It's the most queer-positive book I've ever read, and I don't have words for how much I love it, and how much it helped me love myself more.
Tasha
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as on-hold
I'm finding it very hard to get into this so I'm putting it on hold and I'll give it another try at some other time.
Kayla Bashe
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chameleon Moon is about a bunch of superpowered misfits trapped in a dying city. The book has an attention gripping cinematic opening, cool unique dialogue, and hella style.
For all its flaws, like the fact that it's kind of on fire from the bottom up a la that one Russian sinkhole full of gas that somebody decided to torch, the city of Parole is one of those places you'd want to visit, like Weetzie Bat's LA or Transexual Transylvania or Narnia, except with dystopian surveillance and hot chicks.
Eloise
This was a joy to read.

The plot was interesting and developped quite well, but the heart of this story is the characters.
They are all so loveable in their own way. All different, all flawed in some way but well rounded enough that you can't help but feel part of their family. They all love each other and want to protect each other and that is so beautiful.
It was also great to see an asexual dragon-scale-skinned guy filled with anxiety as the main character, along side a brilliant cast of polyamo
Antonius Hogebrandt
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity-bingo
Okay, this was a really cool read.

It took me a bit to get into--the narrator is omniscient, so we follow several people throughout the novel, as everything slowly spins into one.

In the #diversitybingo2017 that I'm currently doing, I picked this for my "romance with a trans main character" square, because among the main characters we have both the trans woman Evelyn with her two wives and their lovely boy, and Zilch, an enby who's composed of dead people in … some strange way.

Apart from Evelyn a
Mo
Of course I loved this.
Flavia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbt, indie
1.5? The faults are mostly/all plot/pacing/character/content, the writing is fine.

50% of this book is characters giving emotional counsolling to other characters, mostly by reminding them to breath or saying 'it's going to be okay'

The other half is introducing way too many fucking characters.

Listen. Roanna is super nice, and I have nothing against her, I respect her, I respect her personality and effort. I really, really did not like this book, and it boggles me how universally loved it is.

I'm g
Eri
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the first edition of this book when it first came out, in one day. I couldn't put it down to be frank, and now, a couple years later, I found myself reading Roanna Sylver's short story Runtime and read it again. I loved it the second time too.

Now I'm here to review the new edition, nearly a full rewrite of the original book, same plot, same characters, all new life to the story. I will say this: it is better. If you read the first edition of the book, read this one and you won't regret i
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I loved Chameleon Moon so much, and I think it would hold a strong appeal for fans of Welcome to Night Vale.

Patrol is a true dystopian – a city where the sky is chocked with smoke and ash and the ground is just one step away from crumbling into the fires below. And above everything the helicopters of Eye in the Sky survey the super powered citizens, making sure no one can escape. But within this hellhole, the citizens of Patrol have found love, families, and the will to resist. Among them is Eve
Ann Elise Monte
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know a number of people on Twitter screaming about this book, so I'm glad to have finally found the time to read it.

Details at a glance:

Genre: NA Dystopian

Pairings: F/F/F, M/NB/M

Sexual content: None

Rep: Trans polyam woman in f/f/f relationship, queer polyam disabled (prosthetic legs) dark-skinned WOC, queer polyam woman, polyam asexual character with anxiety, polyam nonbinary character, character with depression, nonverbal nonbinary side character.* Most characters show signs of PTSD.

*(POV is
Polenth Blake
People with superpowers are kept in quarantine in the city of Parole. When an assassination goes wrong, Regan is left with amnesia, and it might have something to do with the larger issues of the city.

It's debatable in an ensemble cast whether anyone is a main character. I'm loosely saying they're Regan and Evelyn, as a lot of the plot and scenes revolve around their stories, even if they're from someone else's perspective. But other characters also have large roles, so it's open to interpretati
Dakota Avery
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
I was fortunate enough to have received an advanced copy of the Second Edition of Chameleon Moon, and let me tell you a thing:

I have been sat here for hours, attempting to write this for a number of days now; trying to wrangle in my ADHD and focus long enough to write a review worthy of this book. And I suppose that’s a good starting point right there.

If you know me then it is common knowledge that it is difficult for me to sit down and read anything longer that 1000 words. A wicked combination
Alexa
Love yourself, love the people around you, and never give up. If you need help, reach out. If you’re drowning, make some noise. There are people who love you, who will throw you a life preserver. That’s what it all comes down to, love. That’s how we’re gonna get through this. And we are gonna get through this.

Second read edit, 2018. 01. 10: I still adore this book, and everything it stands for. I adore the descriptions, but most of all I adore the characters and the messages. You're not alone, w
Rie
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(cross posted to my blog)

"I am strong," Evelyn whispered to herself, eyes closed. "I am brave. I am a goddess who contains multitudes of galaxies. My spirit is infinite, my soul is towering, and my shoes..." she cracked open one eye, glanced down. The entire morning had been one giant anxiety-blur. Had she even remembered to put on shoes? Yes. She smiled. "Hella cute. All right. I can do this."
Everything is terrible, so I've been turning to dystopian fiction for a lighter and more cheery look at
Cande
4.5

Chameleon Moon is a wonderful, heartwarming and hopeful story about found families and resistance.

Parole is on fire, literally on fire. The city is chaos, the government is corrupted and everything seems pointless. Here it comes Evelyn, Parole superheroine, and her wonderful friends and family. They're the resistance, bringing hope and rescuing citizens.

There are many characters and I loved all, the diversity is amazing. For the first time, I read about people like me surviving, people like
Tobias Deleskiewicz
Solly
THIS WAS SUCH A WEIRD BOOK AND I LOVED IT

No, honestly, I had heard so much good about Chameleon Moon and was kinda worried to start it because what if I didn't like it?? Especially since it took me a little while to get into it. But once I got into it, it was really damn amazing, what a ride.

It is not your typical dystopian novel, it's original and hopeful and far from grim even if there is some violence. It's also all you could ask for from a diverse book, it's so queer, so many disabled chara
Elke
4 or 4.5 stars

This book was great! I loved the diversity, how it felt so natural and safe. I love the fact that there are literal superheroes and that most of them struggle with mental illness. That their powers didn't take that away, and that they (we) can be the heroes too. I love that even though it was heavy at times, this was ultimately positive and hopeful. How almost all characters in the book were fine with all the diversity too, almost no judging, always accepting and offering space. Ev
Gwen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ace-reads
Ever since I started an Ace Book Club, this book's name has been whispered to me. We finally got around to reading this and I loved it.

Up first - representation.

Good asexual rep. It was brief, and not super organic, but I loved seeing it and the surrounding conversation about personal labels was amazing.

We also have nonbinary rep, transgender rep, and two different poly relationships here which is super cool. Not to mention characters with physical disabilities (Rose has prosthetic legs, and th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Ace Book Club: January: Chameleon Moon 24 74 Jan 28, 2017 09:34PM
Blog Tour & Giveaway! 1 6 Oct 10, 2014 11:32AM

• Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel #1)
  • Viral Airwaves (Viral Airwaves, #1)
  • The Cybernetic Tea Shop
  • Kynship (The Way of Thorn and Thunder, #1)
  • Poison Kiss (Earthside #1)
  • The Second Mango (Mangoverse Book 1)
  • Your Energy Speaks: Stories of Transformation through Energy Healing
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • Smoketown
  • The Unintentional Time Traveler
  • Ariah (Ariah, #1)
  • Imperfect Love
  • A Matter of Oaths
  • From Under the Mountain (Trident Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Fourth World (Iamos Trilogy, #1)
  • 30 Days of No Gossip
  • Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers
RoAnna Sylver is passionate about stories that give hope, healing and even fun for LGBT, disabled and other marginalized people, and thinks we need a lot more. Aside from writing oddly optimistic dystopia and vampire books, RoAnna is a blogger, artist, singer, and voice actor.

RoAnna lives with family and a small snorking dog near Portland, OR, and probably spends too much time playing videogames.

Chameleon Moon (2 books)
  • The Lifeline Signal (Chameleon Moon, #2)
“Words are important. They let you know it’s real, you’re fine, more people like you exist. They let you know you’re not alone.” 12 likes
“The only time it's hopeless is when you're dead! Long as you're alive, you can get better - you can make it better.” 4 likes