Start by marking “Blessed Are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives” as Want to Read:
Blessed Are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives

Read Book

Blessed Are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives

The world wants its soul back…

In this book, author Jacob Nordby offers a bold new definition of success in the modern era.

“The only success now is living and creating a work-of-art life: unique, rich with meaning, naked of anything we don’t care about, and ruthless about carving out something absolutely real from a world that has gorged itself on fakeness and become critic
Published November 15th 2016 by Manifesto Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Are the Weird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Are the Weird

Lauren Sapala
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those life-changing books you stumble upon every once in a great while. The kind of book that not only makes you think, but actually makes you FEEL differently—about yourself, about the world, and about your purpose in it.

Full-disclosure: I have been a weirdo all my life. As an adult, I’ve been obsessed with personality systems in an attempt to define and explain this seemingly inexplicable “weirdness” that I’ve struggled with since I was old enough to get funny looks from other
Rashida
For most of my life, I have struggled to find my place where I fit in. With my classmates. Among others in my ethnic group. In places of worship. Joining extracurriculars. I used to think that there was something wrong with me because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make myself belong as easily as everyone else around me seemed to. When my days of adolescence were over and I felt the same way in college, I started to accept that maybe this was just who I was and forged friendships with ot ...more
Fr. River

BLESSED ARE THE WEIRD

BY JACOB NORDBY

A Book Review

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally sensitive. To him. .a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy , a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Add to this cruelly delicate organism the over powering necessity to create, create, create--so that without creating music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very
Emma Sea
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. Did not speak to me. Waffly and unfocused. YMMV
Mitch
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunningly beautiful

Nordby has penned a creative manifesto for those of us who don't fit in, who struggle in the cubicle world. He has lit the torch and shows us the way out of the darkness. A book that is required reading for all weirdos, everywhere.
Lauren Davis
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How reassuring. If the idea of discovering there is a creative and useful reason for your weirdness fills you with delight... this is for you.
Paul Kohn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who many people (including myself) see as weird, this book was such a blessing to read.

It goes a long way to helping you, the reader, understand how and where your unique creativity fits into the world.

Often funny, always practical and full of useful advice on embracing your weirdness, this book shows you that you can use your unique creativity in so many ways to positively impact the world!
John Green
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some books show up, just at the time you need them most, and this is such a book.

Blessed Are The Weird begins with a chapter-by-chapter exploration of the meaning behind Jacob Nordby's wildly popular poem from which his book draws its title.

"Blessed are the weird people:
poets, misfits, writers
mystics, painters, troubadours
for they teach us to see the world through different eyes."

He offers an expanded version of the poem called Beatitudes for the Weird, which opens even more windows through whic
Elle
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life Changing!

This book helped me to realize that the hot mess I call my life was all for a divine purpose. I mean I kind of already knew that but it's much less painful now. I'm much more clear moving forward into my purpose and creativity. I will be returning to my notes for years to come.
Tracey-anne McCartney
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully deep, inspiring read. I found it evoked words from me.
Craig Bergland
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding - and not at all what I expected! After spending the first half of the book more or less defining who creatives are with new and fresh insights, he then progresses to what for me was the meat of the book - how we are to move to a place where we are fully living life in an authentic way (the answer will be different for different people). He is very realistic about the struggles this movement will involve without condescending to lay out a step by step process for us. I found this boo ...more
Lynne Fisher
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really refreshing take on finding the creativity within, a kind of finding yourself process and being brave enough to go against the flow of mainstream living in order to fulfil your creative potential. Not an easy road, but well worth the journey!
K. Leigh
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever felt weird, out of place, or struggled with life purpose, this book is for you. INFJ, INFP, INTJ, and other HSP’s and creatives, prepare to take a deep breath of fresh air as you read. We are not alone. We each have a purpose. We weirdos can unite for a better world.
Izabela
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lifesaver for the outcasts and rejects of the shiny culture of superficial. Loved it!
Davyd Gosselin

A gnarly read, Blessed are the Weird is essential reading for anyone who has never been a joiner and who has always felt left out (all of us at one time or another). A gregarious package to have and to hold, for anyone who hates limitations or rejoinders like "but we've always done it this way".

A life-saving book for anyone who's questioned their sensitivity, passion or curiosity in a world of mostly insensitive, dead, indifferent people. After reading the book, you'll feel less alone and isolat
Trance Blackman
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love it. this book is like a cosmic high-five from a spiritual brother from another mother... reading it i was frequently feeling like i was talking to myself, reading my own words, which is a compliment on his intuitive approach and a genuine, heart-centered understanding what it is to be a creative soul. definitely weird, timely, and life affirming.
Antigone
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changer
Just WOW! I opened this book with a bit of trepidation. Having fled my home town of Portland, Oregon because of an overwhelming number of people who try so hard to out weird each other that it's no longer organically weird but this pathetic, contrived weird, I was afraid that this would just reinforce that idea...be weird...just for the satisfaction of making everyone around you uncomfortable with your weirdness...who cares if it's authentic.

Blessed Are The Weird is not that. Jacob Nordby seems
Terry Lair
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulously weird

I adored this book. It is an easy read , it's humorous and very insightful. This book makes you think about and appreciate your unique weirdness. Blessed are the Weird is one of the best books I have read in a long time .
Lucy Heitzenrater
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books I have ever read for the creative spirit. As an artist and an INFJ, Jacob Nordby speaks to my soul. I have found my tribe and we are weird!!
Jeff Beesler
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Nonfiction Book for an Artist's Soul!

Ever feel like things just weren't right in your world? This book may have the answer, and it has everything to do with the act of creating. Next time I doubt myself, I'm coming back to this Manifesto.
Erin
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me as a gift and it could not have come at a more perfect time. This is one of those books that opens your eyes and makes you feel like you are not alone in this world
J.L. Silvermist
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book. It helped to put this into perspective for me because a lot of books out there are for Extroverts since reading Quiet. I have been gravitating towards those book that will help me be more comfortable with being Introvert and I found it. This book goes right up there with my other that will stay in my library.
James
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Jacob Nordby is an author, a teacher of writing and a host of a creative writing podcast.  He previously wrote The Divine Arsonist.  His new book aims at inspiring creativity for those on the margins. The name of Nordby's manifesto for creatives, Blessed are the Weird is drawn from his poem, "Beatitudes for the Weird." The poem provides a good summary of his vision of creativity:
Blessed are the weird people

—poets, misfits, writers, mystics

heretics, painters & troubadours—

for they teach us
Beth Gea
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Your life is your art. Your life is your manifesto. All true art is a manifesto of its creator, and every true manifesto is art.

Esta es la tesis que se defiende a lo largo de Blessed Are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives

Es un libro que empecé a leer porque aparecía mencionado en Firefly Magic: Heart Powered Marketing for Highly Sensitive Writers, que me encantó. Y, con ese título, y habiendo sido tachada de rara toda mi vida, pues no me pude resistir.

A lo largo del libro, el autor nos pre
Julius McCarter
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jacob Nordby's Blessed are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives is a full exposition of one of Nordby's poems that begins the book:

Blessed are the weird people:
poets, misfits, writers
mystics, painters, troubadours
for they teach us to see the world through different eyes.

The poem itself is a sort of biblical beatitude for the weird and oddball folks of the world -- those whose minds and lives open windows through which we can catch the grand vision he has for the vital role that "weird" creat
Zed Amadeo
Violette Meier
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

This book sang a love song to my creativity. Easy read full of true inspiration.. I highly recommend this to those who struggle with knowing how wonderfully unique they are.
Stacie Hammond
I seldom write reviews because I am impatient and just...way too busy to make time, as are so many of us. But, I literally just finished the witty and profane acknowledgement section of this book, and was smiling ear to ear at the author's sass and grit; his Thank Yous and Fuck Yous with a big ol' cigar hanging out of his mouth, spitting water at Life.

I read the whole thing, cover to cover, and loved it, which is rare for me. This is a wonderful and timely contribution to our changing landscape
Matt B. Perkins
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm really at a loss on this one. This book really blew my mind and reading it felt like coming home after a long, involuntary journey away, seeing your front door and tearing up at the thought of a hug or embrace from your loved ones. It is, in that light, a welcome home event for the soul, and while that might sound like a bloated comment, I'm serious. My God, this book, which I essentially found out of nowhere, spoke to me in ways I can't express in words, and I realize after finishing it tha ...more
Thomas Qualls
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jacob Nordby has written a book that is essential reading for every creative soul in this age. He joins the ranks of Julia Cameron, Steven Pressfield, and Brené Brown in granting refuge to those of us who find ourselves uncomfortably Weird in this world.

With his world-wise voice and his attentive ear, Nordby shares authentic and hopeful stories, from himself and his fellow Weird travelers, and ties these archetypes together with a well-curated collection of wisdom from beautiful souls throughout
  • Jumpstart Your Creativity: 10 Jolts to Get Creative and Stay Creative (Jumpstart Series)
  • Bliss
  • The Tao of Craft: Fu Talismans and Casting Sigils in the Eastern Esoteric Tradition
  • Pussy: A Reclamation
  • The Map: Finding the Magic and Meaning in the Story of Your Life
  • Love It Forward
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • Secrets of the Six-Figure Author: Mastering the Inner Game of Writing, Publishing and Marketing Books
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Crafting a Daily Practice: A Simple Course on Self-Commitment
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • Pictures on Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Photos, Art, or Graphics, or Tips on Formatting Your eBook's Images to Make Them Look Great
  • Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life
  • The Second Half of Life: Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom
  • Productivity for Creative People: How to Get Creative Work Done in an "Always on" World
  • Insight: Reflections on the Gifts of Being an Introvert
  • At Hell's Gate: A Soldier's Journey
Jacob Nordby is a storyteller, thinker, and adventure seeker whose many quests have led him to a deep fascination with life in all of its weird splendor. He has written the award winning novel, The Divine Arsonist, and a non-fiction title, Blessed Are the Weird - A Manifesto for Creatives. He is the founder of the independent Manifesto Publishing House.
Jacob lives and works in Boise, Idaho where h
“The art of living is to fall in love
with life over and over again.
It is no easy thing to walk through the world
with an open heart, embracing everything,
and also stand true,
allowing no poison to affect us.
But be cracked open often.
Pour yourself into life withholding nothing.
Heal and be healed,
This is the way of living in full.”
3 likes
“Success in this brave new era does not look like success as it has always been defined before—and neither does failure. The only success now is living and creating a work-of-art life: unique, rich with meaning, naked of anything we don’t care about, and ruthless about carving out something absolutely real from a world that has gorged itself on fakeness and become critically ill from it. The only failure now is pulling back from that quest because of fear. In” 2 likes