Start by marking “Propaganda Monkeys - Twenty Poems From My Twenties: 1996 - 2006” as Want to Read:
Propaganda Monkeys - Twenty Poems From My Twenties: 1996 - 2006

Read Book* *Different edition

Propaganda Monkeys - Twenty Poems From My Twenties: 1996 - 2006

Propaganda Monkeys: Twenty Poems From My Twenties is a short collection of punch-packing poetic pieces bursting with youthful vision, confusion and yearning. Amongst its pages, you’ll discover: vivid political anger, reflections on love, scepticism towards the plugged-in Capitalist world, a little bit of no-nonsense nonsense, personal moments of coping with depression, a sprinkle ...more
Kindle Edition
Published September 2016 (first published August 27th 2015)

Harry Whitewolf Thanks for your question.
Thanks for your question.
I'd say yes, but there is some swearing and reference to smoking dope. The first poems were written when I was twenty - so only just out of my teens.(less)

Start your review of Propaganda Monkeys - Twenty Poems From My Twenties: 1996 - 2006
Paul E. Morph
This short collection of poetry is often sad, sometimes funny, occasionally experimental, always intelligent and always deeply moving.

You could call this juvenilia, and some of the themes are those that abound in the minds of the young, but there's an intensity here that belies the author's tender years. (The poet's years were tender when he wrote these poems; he's an old git just like me now. At our age, we have other tender bits but let's not dwell on that!)

I loved this collecti
Casey Kiser
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, true-artist
Reading this gem after 'Two Beat Newbie', 'Matrix Visions' and 'Rhyme and Rebellion', I am pleased to say that his style is consistent with the important things in life: fun, wit, humor, truth, mind-fuckery and middle fingers in the air to politics. We could use a few more middle fingers. But that would be weird so instead, we got Harry! Yay! I highly recommend this collection as I'm still reading and digesting it myself. My head is spinning from 'Fly-Dragon'. That really got me, idk why...Full ...more
Mike Robbins
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took to Harry Whitewolf’s poetry as soon as I read his collection New Beat Newbie last year. He’s what you might call a protest poet, except that the label seems trite. He uses short lines and phrases to build up poems with a rhythmic, insistent structure. The results stay in your mind, along with the message – which is usually a political comment or a sideways look at some weirdness of the modern world.

This collection of poems written in his 20s, between 1996 and 2006, shows him develop
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-whitewolf
(The one and only) Whitewolf dedicates the book to "the ghosts of his past" and when reading this collection of easily digestible poems it does really seem as if the author/poet is attempting to bury the hatchet.

Having read Whitewolf's other books, the thought patterns in Propaganda Monkeys are not quite as sophisticated. But that's to be expected as the author was younger here and presumably in the earlier stages of his journey as a poet (not to mention as a person).

However, there'
Rebecca Gransden
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short collection is direct and smattered with unreconstructed youth. This is stuff of yesterday and of the ages. There is a courage in sharing without camouflage, without dressing in complexity or obfuscation. Here Whitewolf makes clearly timed commentary on themes including frustration with authority, reflections on love, dark days and moods and the limitations of language itself.

It is tempting to breeze though this, the words deceptively undemanding at first, but they do weave
Daniel Clausen
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2019
Writing poetry has always been a bit beyond me. The best I can manage is a bit of prose that does not bleed the nose. (Actually, that last line made my nose bleed slightly.)

In the first poem, you will find MySpace, download junkies, skunk-smoking geezers, and an inflatable Jesus. 1996-2006, indeed! A MySpace reference. I’d love to go back there if it still exists. I write a reminder that I need to check out whether MySpace still exists after this review. (If I post this review on MyS
Leo Robertson
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Whitewolf does a wonderful thing where his poems are so openly from the heart, so simple in their message and emotions that he almost goads you into scoffing at him. In which case, who is the real fool for rejecting such openness, aching compassion and invitation to take up arms and fight back against whatever towering power he chooses to question with- GASP!- logic?
Rupert Dreyfus
Another fantastic, if not timeless collection of poems from Whitewolf which make good use of his ability to flow like a great jazz song. This time they're often more introspective although his later themes of social justice and activism can still be found. For example there's a fantastic poem called Push Bush which is a great anti-Iraq War poem asking us: 'who sold the weapons anyway?'

The Knack of Slack Black is probably my favourite poem in this collection just because of its rawness. Other fa
Jason
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, poetry
If you are new to poetry then this is the place to start, Harry Whitewolf's poems are written in such a way you can instantly tell the pace and just what he is getting at. From Politics, shopping, love, red wine and phone shape it's all here in this collection. I am always amazed how anybody can write a poem, I can see how you would go about writing a story but it blows my mind how you start with a poem.

Each time I read one of these poems I would go "Yep that's my favourite", next po
Tracy Reilly
Well, I read the first nine--maybe too quickly.
Harry Whitewolf
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
You can read the first nine poems here:

Cheers!

Madeline
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm beginning to become a fan of Harry Whitewolf's work.

His poetry is raw and inspired - playing with form and often breaking the conventions of poetry all together. The poems range from a witty couplet to longer more ballad like pieces. All with original and satirical commentary on major social movements.

Playing with the conventional forms of poetry I loved 'No Repeat (Repeated)' and Adverb Noun. These pieces drew light on the basic techniques that are (mostly) effective in poetry,
Harry Whitewolf
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

You can read the first nine poems here:

Cheers!
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 more for unfinished monkey business...
Petey Wheatstraw
Alejandro Brand
Oct 22, 2017
Nina
Dec 14, 2017
Indie Revolution ...: Propaganda Monkeys by Harry Whitewolf 5 8 Jan 17, 2016 01:20PM

• Outline of American Literature
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
Harry Whitewolf is doing his own thing.

He's the author of two ragamuffin travelling tales: Route Number 11 (about Harry's five-month drunken journey around Argentina; and across the borders to Paraguay, Chile and Brazil) and The Road To Purification (which describes his mad-as-fuck pot-smoking trip around Egypt). In addition, Harry has written eight collections of distinctive contemporary poetry, in
“We're the propaganda monkeys.
The digital download junkies.
The skunk smoking geezers
With an inflatable Jesus.
We're the kitsch and cool.
Divide and rule.”