Start by marking “Mencken and the Monsters (The Defense of Reality #1)” as Want to Read:
Mencken and the Monsters (The Defense of Reality #1)

Mencken and the Monsters

(The Defense of Reality #1)

Mencken Cassie is a passionate reporter on a mission to save Baltimore from an organized crime ring and a brutal hitman who is terrorizing the city. When Mencken declares war on the organization, he enters a world of monsters more terrifying than anything he could ever imagine. To save the city he loves, Mencken must unmask the true threat to Baltimore by finding new sourc ...more
Kindle Edition
Published September 10th 2016 by Jeff Elkins

To ask other readers questions about Mencken and the Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mencken and the Monsters

Start your review of Mencken and the Monsters (The Defense of Reality #1)
Jackie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mencken is a reporter in the city of Baltimore. Amazing reference to places in the great city. He’s trying to help save the city from the bad but encounters monsters even worse. Received a free book. My first story by this author and so appreciated being introduced.
Jen
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thrilling quick fantasy read! If you love Baltimore then you will appreciate all of the Baltimore references, though knowing the city is not necessary to understanding the book. The story follows a reporter, Mencken, through his day to day life trying to uncover the big story of corruption in Baltimore. Even though it is a fast paced book you still have enough details to have a full story. About half way though the fantasy component really starts to kick in makes you want to finish to ...more
Lizella Prescott
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the way this book blends together the real and the unreal in an authentically gritty Baltimore. The protagonist is strong but flawed, the monsters are suitably horrifying, and the plot touches upon social justice issues without getting preachy.

For me, this was a very quick read. I inhaled it in just a few hours, which I think is a testament to the author's clean, flowing writing style.

My only quibble is that I wish the book were just a little bit longer...but I believe there is a sequel
Peter Bradley
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Please give my Amazon review a helpful vote - https://www.amazon.com/review/R27COXX...

Mencken Cassie is a free-lance blogger and independent journalist who spends his day on the streets of Baltimore chasing down stories for his blog or to sell to local editors and radio celebrities. He is tenacious and determined, particularly about rooting out the story of a "cabal" that is using gangs, corrupt politicians, and redevelopers to work its diabolical plot to take away neighborhood parks and gentrif
Kaye
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TALK ABOUT OUT IF THIS WORLD!!!
If you're looking for a fast paced, action packed, easy to follow, terrifying, smooth flowing read that grabs your attention from the start. Congratulations my friends you've found it. Its like watching a train wreck. You can't help, but you can't look away either. This is one nailbiting, horrifying, hair pulling, screaming, danger lurking around every corner tale thats in a league of its on. The characters and scenes have such graphic detailed descriptions that we
Leah Speller
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And away we go...

At first, I was a bit lost then realized there was a new character. One developed so well that I was not sure I liked him. He liked to jump to strange conclusions, but I guess that is true for a lot of reporters.

Yet because of this, it shows how well the writing was done. There is nothing written that says we must like the main character, only that we enjoy the journey in which the author takes us. I can honestly say I did truly enjoy this experience and am ready for the next. T
Judy Johnson
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I didn't know what to expect since this is generally not my 1st choice genre. I am so glad I took the chance! This book was riveting! Set in Baltimore, even if you're not familiar with it, it is easy to follow and enjoy! The mix of characters and the wonderful story telling ability give you an appropriate combo of reality and fantasy with just the right amount of thrill and action that keep you riveted until the very end and totally leave you wondering about when you'll ...more
John Elkins
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This work is excellent!! The work is compelling and engaging. The storyline has some implications that are profound. The themes of good verse evil, family, and heroism in the face of darkness are tremendous. Mencken is also an incredibly well-developed character whose investigations leave one wondering: "Who are the monsters?"
Annie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I really loved this story. It got me hooked straight away, with likeable characters and an interesting plot. I thought the pace of the book was perfect, I didn’t feel it stagnated anywhere, the plot just kept moving and made me want to continue reading. And I loved the quirkiness of this book. Thanks for a enjoyable read.
Quanita
Mencken VS The Hunters

Freelance reporter Mencken Cassie chases stories. He finds corrupt politicians, police on the take, and monsters. His life and the lives of family and friends are threatened by a high level politician, but he continues his pursuit. He finds the unbelievable. A down to earth urban fantasy/horror story.
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Whose Running Your City

This book is very well written, the characters are well defined and the plot is very, very interesting. This author has given the reader a peek into the functioning of our local government, (not really), but what he has done, is put a nice twist on this well written story. Great Read with a nice flow.
Helgaleena Healingline
This is a contemporary political thriller with added monsters. And even though it doesn't end on a positive note, it's so realistic that you will want it to be how Baltimore really functions.

I couldn't put it down and I'm picking up more of the series.
Billie Kretzschmar
Who are the monsters

If course I was wrong. I had trouble stopping long enough to even do my dishes. Really enjoyed the adventure, and I'm looking forward to reading book two.
Scarolet Ellis
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful story that is added to the series and I am so glad I read it. I loved it and highly recommend it for all.
This is my honest and unbias opinion of the story.
Grady
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a thriller and horror story with great characters.
Yvonne
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great read, full of action, twists and turns
Kathy
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monsters and government yiikes!

Excellent book lots of action, some humor. Kinda feel bad for the reporter the main character but he will be ok I'm sure. Can't wait for book three.
Ruthanne Reid
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely love the current crop of urban fantasy out there. I waited all my life to see kick-ass females and anti-hero good guys, running around and knocking otherworldly tush into the next reality.

But once in a while, it’s really, really nice to find something else. Something that reminds me of Charles de Lint more than Faith Hunter.

Author Jeff Elkins sent me this book to read before it goes live on Amazon, and I’m so delighted he did. The premise: freelance journalist Me
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, what a story! I kept anticipating the monsters since the beginning of the book and when they finally came about it was intense! I really loved the characters and how developed they were as it all played into the story quite well. Mencken sure did learn a lot during the story and it finally connected all the dots for him.

Well done and Great story!
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book by a new writer. Slow at first but moved to a very exciting climax. Very well written with engaging dialogue. A sequel is coming, which I really look forward to. This writer is going places.
Ryan Hanson
Shan Shwe
Sep 05, 2018
Latoya Etheridge
Jan 10, 2017
I am an author living north of Baltimore, Maryland with my amazing wife and five incredible children. I write fictional urban fantasy and nonfiction essays about religion in America. I am the founder and a contributor to the online literary journal Short Fiction Break.

If you are interested in following my writing, click here to subscribe to my monthly newsletter.

The Defense of Reality (5 books)
  • The Twelve Commandments (The Defense of Reality, #2)
  • Mencken and the Lost Boys (The Defense of Reality #3)
  • Becoming Legend (The Defense of Reality #4)
  • Saving Deborah (The Defense of Reality #5)

News & Interviews