Start by marking “History of the Conquest of Mexico” as Want to Read:
History of the Conquest of Mexico

History of the Conquest of Mexico

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
William H. Prescott (1796-1859) wrote a number of vibrant and minutely researched histories of the Spanish-speaking world. THE HISTORY OF THE CONQUEST OF MEXICO (1843) tells of the subjugation between 1519 and 1522 of the whole Aztec people by Cortes and his group of a few hundred soldiers.
Published January 30th 2004 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1843)

William1
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I like about this book is both its strong narrative, almost novelistic, thrust, and its heavy footnoting throughout (at the end of most chapters there's a little bibliographic essay). Prescott's familiarity with his sources seems exhaustive. Reading him is a little bit like reading Gibbon. One has to make provision for the passage of time and the change of values. "Conquest" is hardly the word we would use today. Today the word is the neutral contact--pre-contact, post-contact.

The boo
Moloch
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moloch by: Dalla bibliografia dei saggi su Cortés di Miralles e Levy, visto anche alla libreria "Perugia Fumetti"
Questo è un argomento su cui non mi stancherò mai di leggere: riunisce insieme così tanti aspetti affascinanti (viaggi, avventura, ignoto, incontro con l'altro, gusto del romanzesco, passione, caso, tragedia) da essere irresistibile. La mia collezione di libri è ancora piccola, ma sta crescendo.

Una delle aggiunte più "preziose" è questo La Conquista del Messico dello storico americano William H. Prescott (1796-1859), che forse compariva nella bibliografia dei saggi di Levy o di Miralles sullo st
Stephen
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is astounding!

Like others, I suspect, I thought I had some decent grasp on the story of the conquest of the Aztecs by Cortés and his conquistadores. I was aware of the Aztec belief that a white god was returning in the very year that Cortés showed up, a belief that attenuated their response to his advent. And the fact that they were overawed by the horses and hardware. All that stuff. The truth, I found, was that I hadn't a clue until I read this splendid history.

It is an utterly fasci
Bettie☯
read by Kerry Shale

**See also The Royal Hunt of the Sun by Peter Schaffer**

Those chief Aztec bods wore gold shoes with pearls studded on, even the soles were made of gold.

This was written in *sit yourself down* eighteenfortythree and it reads brilliantly.

Such a gruelling part of history; no matter how many times I come across Montezuma's incarceration and death it is still very hard to take. sad, sad, sad.

As all adherents of history have to have a sturdy stomach by default I have no problem
Charles
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the absolute best! What an exciting story.
erik d aker
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: california
Insanely good. The most impossible-to-put-down history book I've ever held in my hot little hands. And it's over 100 years old.
Alex
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read. It was written in the early 19th century and so has a charming archaic feel to it. But it is not so old as to read as if it were written in Olde English. The author strikes a nice balance between the demands of epistemic responsibility and vivid prose. At many points it reads like a novel, with excited descriptions of this battle or that, but it is also pretty scrupulous about evaluating its source material.

It is also animated by a dramatic ambivalence. Prescott is not afra
Gerald Sinstadt
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Other reviews can be found of this book in other formats, but all agree that it is an astonishing achievement.

William H Prescott was an American historian whose sight had reduced him to near blindness, and who had never visited Mexico, yet researched and reconstructed original documents to produce a thrilling account of an epic seriesof events. The year is 1520. Cortes embarks from Cuba with the aim of claiming Mexico for Spain. Arriving in the capital, he is made welcome by the divine ruler, Mo
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So beautifully written I hardly noticed it was a history book. What a journey Cortes took his followers on. What a determined man. The writing was poetic, absolutely unique. Thank you Feliks for recommending it to me.

A tragic history, this country, and the Mexicans rose up against the Spanish with such dignity and power. It was a perfect back drop for my travels through Yucatan and Mexico (City). And especially for my understanding of this country when I walked through the Anthropological Museu
Charles
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shakespearean. Biblical. The somewhat archaic sounding language only adds to the oomph of this story. Due to the publication date, 1843, there's some un-pc wordage like "savage", but overall this is a surprisingly balanced (for the time) look at the clash of two cultures, i.e., the Spanish and Aztec empires. The story spans about two years, and focuses upon the machinations of Hernan Cortez as he undermines the Aztec power structure and eventually destroys the capital city of Tenochtitlan. A goo ...more
Varmint
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really a first rate adventure novel. learned more from this than the dozen dry acedemic modern books i read for class.
R.J. Wheaton
Apr 12, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paused
Loving these C19th sentences.
coreyhunt
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting story

Even though this book was written in 1890, it is surprisingly even handed in this struggle between the dominant culture of Central America and a small group of adventurers led by Hernando Cortes. The author obviously admires the achievements of the Aztecs, despite the 20,000 human sacrifices annually made to their gods. The conditions of the Aztec nation which made it liable to collapse and the skill of Cortes are discussed. This story would not be believed if history had not in
Balloon Bruce
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it - a dull recitation of facts.
Jeff
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"History of the Conquest of Mexico." William H. Prescott 1843. Although reputedly blind and having never traveled to the Americas, Prescott's seminal account of the conquest of the Aztecs is as highly respected by historians today as it was in the 19th century. Cortez's clash with the Aztecs is arguable one of the most dramatic histories of the age of exploration. Drawing from numerous first hand accounts from both the Spanish and the Aztecs, Prescott, like the majority of anthropologists of tod ...more
Phillip
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read that gives a Western perspective of Cortés's Aztec conquest. This is a military history book with colorful and occasionally reductive descriptions of the Aztec (labeling them "barbarians" is the perfect example). If you require trigger warnings, then read something else.
If you are fascinated by how a gutsy Spaniard and his band of misfits managed to conquer the closest thing to Rome that the "New World" possessed, then read away. Hint, he had a lot of help from tribal groups that sou
Pedro Menchén
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro maravilloso, imprescindible para cualquiera que quiera conocer la historia de México, de los aztecas, de España en la época de los grandes descubrimientos y, por supuesto, la vida de ese personaje mítico, tan fascinante llamado Hernán Cortes. Me avergüenzo de no haberlo leído antes, pues ignoraba prácticamente todo lo que ahí se cuenta. La lectura ha sido algo dificultosa, pues son unas 1000 páginas en letra pequeña, con cientos de notas en letra aún más pequeña, pero ha merecido la pen ...more
Robert Clancy
An extremely interesting account of the conquest of the Aztec empire by Cortes and his small band of conquistadors. Doubly interesting since Prescott wrote this account in 1843 -- over 170 years ago. As such, he was closer to the events of 1520 than we are, however, he was also influenced by the prejudices and political slant of his time. Prescott uses all the best sources for his account of the Mexican (Aztec) empires fall -- mostly from eyewitness like conquistador Diaz and the priests Casas a ...more
Clive Warner
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No cover but imagine a beige hardback somewhat disintegrating around the edges - this is because it's the original edition of two books.
It's fascinating to read this account, made even more interesting by little facts such as the idea of malaria being caused by "bad air" (mal - air - ia)
I also have a much more recent Mexico history, "Fire And Blood" which provides a more modern view, but Prescott's account is rich in detail of the fighting between the Aztecs and the invading Conquistadores and I
Jonnie
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Absolute must read for those interested in historical accounts of the Contact Period. Sure, it's a very old book (written in the 1800's) and suffers mildly from both period bias and research limitations, but this book gives a sweeping narrative that is as informative as it is entertaining. All other existing accounts were built on the strong narrative of Prescott. Every other text owes a debt... Rec'd as a beginning text for students and casual readers, as I'm sure any self respecting Contact 'a ...more
Stosch
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
really good book, quite dry in some spots but superb in others. i like his sarcastic little comments on the europeans. has good notes. bought this back in 1999 with my last dime, sat on my shelf for years.

when i bought it i wasnt much of a reader, liked the cover and the thorough notes in the back but then the dry parts put me off. 1 day i thought lemme just crack this open 2/5ths in and voila, read a few great lines and was hooked.

cortes was a wicked man but super charismatic, super lvl strate
Brendan
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book as an audiobook and the story was enthralling. I travel to Mexico often and have some understanding of Mexican history. But I had no idea what an incredible and improbable and cunning feat the conquering of the Aztecs and the valley of Mexico by Cortes was. Nor did I feel bad for the downfall of the Aztecs given how brutal and oppressive their culture was, which was of course a key ingredient in their downfall that Cortes so famously exploited.
Jeff
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first of the two histories, "The Conquest of Mexico." I picked it up off my shelf mostly as a joke because I didn't know what to read next. I laughed, when I opened this very thick, dry sounding tome. But almost immediatly I was drawn into this fascinating, daunting adventure/conquest. Written mostly from primary texts of men who served with Hernan Cortes, this is a compelling story of survival, greed, triumph and tragedy. I loved it.
Kyla Squires
Very vivid action writing. Seems very modern apart from the author's taking for granted that the Aztec's are savages who worship a devil and should be saved. This book is a play by play of events, so no real history analysis, but an interesting read just the same. It really illustrates that Cortez was a real dick, which is funny as he is clearly the hero of the tale.
Brian Bigelow
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cortez

This book goes in depth into the conquest. Happily much more than the usual overview.
I do like how the indigenous populations are included. Without their help I'm quite positive Cortez wouldn't have succeeded.
Joe
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Amazing. Aliens with superior technology land in a new world, face overwhelming odds, and conquer it. Cortes is one of the most extraordinary men who ever lived. On the same shelf as Caesar and Alexander.
Jean-Pierre Labonté
I would give this book six stars. It is the most fascinating history book I ever read. Full of details, not only about events, but also about the people involved. Incredibly well written, it reads like a novel, an epic adventure with Hernando Cortes at its center.
Kate
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the historiography of this work can be problematic, and Prescott's descriptions of the native Mexicans comes across as racist to modern readers, this is still an entertaining read and is a solid work of military history.
Mejix
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tectonic shift in world history caused by a mind-boggling series of events narrated with unquestionably great skill. Prescott's early 19th century racism is distracting but can be kind amusing in itself.

Ian Guyer
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read.

Great book. But if Amazon continues its political activism, I will put my Kindle away for good. If you want to sell me books, stop calling me names. WaPo is propaganda, not news.

This book is free at other outlets.
  • The Conquest of New Spain
  • The White Nile
  • The Naval War of 1812
  • A History Of The Crusades 3 Volume Set
  • Conquistadors
  • The Land That Never Was: Sir Gregor MacGregor and the Most Audacious Fraud in History
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Celts
  • The Conquest of America: The Question of the Other
William Hickling Prescott
U.S. historian. Born to a prosperous family, Prescott graduated from Harvard University in 1814 but was prevented by poor health and eyesight from a career in law or business. His friends, including Washington Irving, led him to his life's work: recounting the history of 16th-century Spain and its colonies. He is best known for his History of the Conquest of Mexico (1843)
More about William H. Prescott...