Start by marking “The Art and Craft of Wood: A Practical Guide to Harvesting, Choosing, Reclaiming, Preparing, Crafting, and Building with Raw Wood” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Art and Craft of Wood shows you how to mill, stack, dry, and flatten a log into useable lumber and build a variety of household furnishings.

Trees are all around us. They provide shade, beautify our neighborhoods, filter our water, and clean our air, but when they die, we often don't know what to do with them. Now you can learn the skills to reclaim those trees as lumb
Published June 1st 2017 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Craft of Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Craft of Wood

really liked it 4.00  ·

Mary
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book but it was recommended so I gave it a try. I'm so happy I did. It contains a wealth of information on woodworking but easy to read. There are many photo illustrations and projects to make. I love their idea of using urban wood instead of just sending it to the landfill or compost.
LettyT
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the meat and potatoes of crafting with wood. Every level will be able to work with wood after reading this book. The photos are beautifully illustrated and the instructions are easy to read. I can't wait to get started on my first big project! In the meantime I plan on using these techniques for some minor projects like a wood platter and coasters.
Kristine
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
The Art and Craft of Wood by Silas J. Kyler & David Hildreth is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-June.

Used as a kinetic/visual accompaniment to their documentary feature, Felled (which deals in the author's reclaiming and working with urban wood), this book gives direct instructions (in a sort of Esquire/Men's Health font and list format) and simple (yet heirloom-worthy) projects to those who are willing and visionary enough to reach out and use wood sourced from urban trees (cuttin
Melissa Widmaier
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a thoughtful, beautifully crafted book. The explanations and step-by-step instructions are easy to follow, and the illustrations are helpful. Make no mistake, you can't just pick up this book and start woodworking immediately. There's too much information to absorb! But I think this makes a great manual for dedicated new enthusiasts. Using reclaimed wood for the projects is also a plus.
Anna Zollinger
This review was made possible by NetGalley, who provided a Digital Advanced Release Copy for review (DARC); my review of the material may not wholly reflect the final product upon its publication.

I've finished this title but haven't formulated a complete review of the material yet due to the nature of the book. When I do, I'll update this page to reflect my thoughts.
Ryan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
When this says it is the art and craft of wood it means it. From cutting your first tree to finished projects this books takes you through it all. Its comprehensive, laid out in a nice and understandable way, and includes plenty of pictures and graphics.
Kristin Amanda Penny
Jon Finkel
Jan 19, 2018
Jennifer Bodenbender
Dave
rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2018
Jan 30, 2017
Spencer Bobrowski
Feb 07, 2017
David Hildreth
Apr 04, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Frederick Rotzien
Debee Sue
Carol McFarlane
Tammie

• Camper Rehab: A Guide to Buying, Repairing, and Upgrading Your Travel Trailer
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join in
  • Making Stuff and Doing Things: DIY Guides to Just About Everything
  • Prince: The Coloring Book
  • Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
  • Pontiac Firebird: 50 Years
  • HomeSkills: Plumbing: Install & Repair Your Own Toilets, Faucets, Sinks, Tubs, Showers, Drains
  • One Nation Under Baseball: How the 1960s Collided with the National Pastime
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • Single White Monk: Tales of Death, Failure, and Bad Sex (Although Not Necessarily in That Order)
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • Curvy Girl Sex: 101 Body-Positive Positions to Empower Your Sex Life
  • Mastering Hand Building: Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Slabs, Coils, and More
  • Cræft: An Inquiry Into the Origins and True Meaning of Traditional Crafts
  • Made by Hand: A Collection of Projects to Print, Sew, Weave, Dye, Knit or Otherwise Create
  • The Complete Book of Classic Volkswagens: Beetles, Microbuses, Things, Karmann Ghias, and More
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Rad Families: A Celebration
Silas Kyler is an Arizona native and resides in Tempe, Arizona, with his wife and three young children. Having graduated from Scottsdale Community College with an associate’s degree in film production, Silas has always had an interest in telling stories through film and took inspiration from what people were doing with urban lumber for Felled his first feature length documentary. For as long as he ...more