Start by marking “Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins” as Want to Read:
Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  967 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Garry Kasparov's 1997 chess match against the IBM supercomputer Deep Blue was a watershed moment in the history of technology. It was the dawn of a new era in artificial intelligence: a machine capable of beating the reigning human champion at this most cerebral game.
That moment was more than a century in the making, and in this breakthrough book, Kasparov reveals his as
Audio CD
Published May 2nd 2017 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about Deep Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Thinking

Manuel Antão
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Beyond the Usual Alpha-Beta Search: "Deep Thinking - Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins” by Garry Kasparov, Mig Greengard

“In 2016, nineteen years after my loss to Deep Blue, the Google-backed AI project DeepMind and its Go-playing offshoot AlphaGo defeated the world’s top Go player, Lee Sedol. More importantly, as also as predicted, the methods used to create AlphaGo were more interesting as an IA Project than
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Garry Kasparov has a way of his own – it is well after his retirement from professional chess, and yet he is so much sought after. This book traces the progress of chess engines, the evolution of their algorithms culminating in the famous Kasparov Vs Deep Blue battle.

Chess engines have gained rapidly in the recent past from databases for reviewing games, to aids for analyzing positions, to challenging humans and finally overpowering them. Kasparov discusses how the algorithms have changed – the
Josh
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep Thinking by Garry Kasparov is an autobiographical retelling of his historic series of matches against the IBM chess machine, Deep Blue. Kasparov also uses this book to expound on the history of Artificial Intelligence (AI), with a focus on its application to chess, and provides his thoughts on how humanity can embrace AI to build a better tomorrow. Kasparov does an outstanding job of setting the stage for his confrontation with Deep Blue, covering not only his ascension to the highest pinna ...more
Dennis Littrell
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and very interesting

Most of this book is about chess and chess engines and Kasparov’s experiences with them, especially in his two matches with IBM’s Deep Blue. But there is much more. The central theme of the book can be seen in this quote from page 259: “…technology can make us more human by freeing us to be more creative…”

Like Kasparov (peak rating of 2851 in 1999) I (peak rating of 2080 in 1974) have been absolutely fascinated with chess playing programs going back to the e
Randy
I am a fan of Garry Kasparov as a chess player. He was a great World Chess Champion, and his style brought back dynamic, almost romantic chess to the top level of the game. It is interesting that because Kasparov was an early adopter of computer game databases, he was probably the best prepared player of his time. Using databases, he was famous for out-preparing his opponents in extremely sharp openings and often obtained a significant advantage right out of the gate.

At the same time, he active
Jashan Singhal
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never knew Kasparov was such a brilliant author, his writing skills shadow his prowess in Chess.

Kasparov is unequivocally the greatest chess player of all times, and in this book he gives us an account of the famous 1997 match with IBM's supercomputer chess engine Deep Blue. This book is a vindication of his loss and he builds up to the proceedings of the match, by discussing in depth about how human mind works, how grandmasters think, what is the difference between humans and intelligent mach
Diego
Mar 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-tech
“My name is Gary Kasparov, and I’m the greatest chess player ever. I lost a few times to some computers, but I’m still awesome because I made dumb mistakes. Oh, here is some info about Artificial Intelligence and how it goes with chess. Did I mention I’m awesome at chess, let’s talk about that some more. Why am I not celebrated more? Why don’t people talk about what I did?”

This pretty much sums this book up. Swindled by the title. It’s like listening to the guy brag about himself playing chess a
Chuck
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
5-stars

This kicked total ass!

You always hear that Deep Blue beat Kasparov. Well, yeah, I guess. But there's a lot more to the story, and it doesn't make IBM look too good, IMO.
Alexander Curran
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The human mind isn’t a computer; it cannot progress in an orderly fashion down a list of candidate moves and rank them by a score down to the hundredth of a pawn the way a chess machine does. Even the most disciplined human mind wanders in the heat of competition. This is both a weakness and a strength of human cognition. Sometimes these undisciplined wanderings only weaken your analysis. Other times they lead to inspiration, to beautiful or paradoxical moves that were not on your initial list ...more
Devika
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: machine-learning
You don't need to be a chess expert to appreciate the history of how machines began playing chess. The initial thoughts came from Alan Turing, who proposed the Turing Test (the idea that whether a machine can fool a human into thinking that the machine is human), and Claude Shannon who suggested that the machine can approach chess through either 'brute force' or 'intelligent search'.

Kasparov discusses all technological developments that eventually led to his match with IBM's Deep Blue. The purp
David Jacobson
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kasparov and co-author Mig Greengard focus on three topics in this enjoyable book: the story of the famous man-versus-machine chess match against IBM's Deep Blue, the larger history of chess computers and how they have affected the game, and the even larger question of how technology will affect all of our lives going forward. In the first two areas, Kasparov is in his element and gives us a book that cannot be put down—except that we do want to put it down to pick up our chess set! His musings ...more
Ahsan Sharafuddin
The name of the book 'Deep Thinking' led me to believe I would get some interesting perspective and state of the art of AI. Unfortunately it did not appear anything more than a memoir. Throughout the book he appears bitter with IBM and sometimes even arrogant. To those deeply interested in chess as a game may find it interesting. To me, I could've better spent my time learning something more educational and interesting.
Hrishikesh
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply fascinating. Kasparov belongs to that rare breed of experts who are also excellent writers. The central "event" of this book, so as to speak, is his epic duel against IBM's supercomputer. Kasparov expertly leverages that event and ties around it a great perspective regarding Chess, AI, Human Cognition and life in general. A book written with great clarity, this has been one enriching read.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
I was duped by the promising title. I was expecting a book about the modern applications of AI when it comes to creative tasks. This book, instead, presents the history of the application of computers in the professional game of chess and explains, in exhaustive detail, how eventually they succeeded in beating the Grandmasters.
Not being a player and my interests lying in IT, I got very little out of this book. The competitive and psychological aspects of chess were interesting parts, but I cann
Ed Terrell
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"I sensed something new, something unsettling” Kasparov siting across from Deep Blue in 1997

"It became like a God” Worlds top Go player, Ke Jie, after defeat by a Google algorithm May 23, 2017....

People remember Kasparov's loss in 1997 to Deep Blue but few recall his win only one year earlier or his 1988 simultaneous play against the world's best 32 chess computers, score: 32-0, in Kasparov's favor. In those few years, something strange and magical had happened on the other side of the board whe
Spyros
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent case study of AI in chess. Kasparov describes how he used to won against very early chess machines, then how he lost to deep blue and afterwards how he used computers to improve his chess skills.

A very fascinating book as it discusses the topic of AI throughout time, past present and future. A bit biased towards chess but it can be read and understood by non chess players.
Richard Lawrence
Artificial Intelligence is a phrase that often promotes a strong reaction in a lot of people who hear it. There are the gloom and doom prognosticators who tell us that 'Judgement Day', the day the intelligent machines take over and decide we are more trouble than we are worth and wipe us out is near. There are also the overly optimistic prognosticators which tell us that the day AI will take over and we will enter a golden age of humanity beyond our wildest dreams is near. Kasparov charts a cour ...more
Pete
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins (2017) by Garry Kasparov and Mig Greengard is a book that looks at how machines eclipsed people in playing chess and what this means for humanity.

Kasparov is one of the greatest chess grand masters of all time and the last human to be the best chess player on the planet. In 1997 Deep Blue defeated him taking the crown for an activity that was once seen as the epitome of human intelligence.

The book looks at how computers p
Astrid Paramita
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We haven’t lost free will; we have gained time that we don’t yet know what to do with. We have gained incredible powers, virtual omniscience, but still lack the sense of purpose to apply them in ways that satisfy us. We have taken more steps in the advance of civilization, toward reducing the level of randomness and inefficiency in our lives. It’s different, yes, and different can be disconcerting when it happens quickly, but that doesn’t make it harmful. All this mockery and alarm will disappe ...more
Nat
After reading Kasparov's description of how international chess-playing has been improved by the widespread availability of powerful chess playing software, I downloaded a free chess app and promptly got my ass kicked, and then could read an analysis of all the "innacuracies" and "blunders" that I made.

Kasparov's attitude to chess-playing computers and AI in general does not make any contact with theories of embodied minds or the humanity of practical skills:

Machines that replace physical labor
Radu
The story of Kasparov's lost match against Deep Blue (the brute force, Type A super computer) is fascinating by itself. 20 years after the historical game, Kasparov offers us a peek into the making of Deep Blue and the man vs. machine epic contest.
Publishing time is perfect, as comes after AlphaGo (the more subtle, type B man taught machine) defeated Go world champion.
Meanwhile AlphaZero (type C, self taught machine) crushed both AlphaGo, and the computer chess world champion Stockfish, afte
Roustem Karimov
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garry Kasparov is a chess legend. As a kid I used to follow his matches against then world champion Anatoly Karpov. Before reading this book, however, I had no idea how competitive these high-level chess matches were — huge amount of work is spent to prepare to the game and a lot of it is very specific to the opponent. And every game is a thriller, all-out psychological warfare.

I enjoyed reading Garry's personal account of the matches he played against many human and computer opponents. It is fa
Juniper
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Inspiring when discussing the impact of technology on civilization. Insightful when retelling Garry's experience with computer chess. Definitely skewed more towards the latter while seeming to be marketed more as the former which was a bit of a letdown. It felt more like two (quite good) longform articles that, while informing each other, really didn't need to be packaged together.
Josie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Living history! I remember being at university when Deep Blue beat Gary Kasparov, without fully understanding the significance at the time.

This is the Grand Master’s version of events, and opens up the world of chess, and its place historically, socially and politically.
Daniel
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely written, beautiful and good English. You might ask what one can write about a chess match, but one can. A lot. And very interesting.
I read the kindle variant, I didn't listen to the Audio CD as I had selected the title here.
An absolute recommendation for all my friends who love books.
Rod Innis
Good book - some good insights on education.
Mostly about chess and playing against a computer
Denise Sudbeck
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It would be a mistake to consider this work as only a history of chess matches sometimes marked by less than gracious behavior. It really is about where we are all going and how we might arrive in one piece.
Luis De miranda
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Deep thinking is the title of a book by former chess world-champion Garry Kasparov. The subtitle is “Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins.”

It may seem like a good idea to read such a book, in a time where the word “deep” is increasingly used to qualify algorithmic software, as in “deep learning”. We are in a curious time of human history where machines are said to be “deep”.

There is very little about “deep thinking” in Kasparov’s book, which is a superficial piece of writi
Harsh Agarwal
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A nice perspective of what AI has/ not have for human's future.
Kasparov does not know what deep thinking is 1 3 Mar 18, 2018 04:51AM
Russian (formerly Soviet) chess grandmaster, former World Chess Champion, writer, and political activist, whom many consider the greatest chess player of all time.
“To become good at anything you have to know how to apply basic principles. To become great at it, you have to know when to violate those principles.” 4 likes
“But the worries about operatorless elevators were quite similar to the concerns we hear today about driverless cars.” 2 likes