Start by marking “Ghoster” as Want to Read:
Ghoster

Ghoster

Jason Arnopp - author of acclaimed cult hit The Last Days of Jack Sparks - returns with a razor-sharp thriller for a social-media obsessed world. Prepare to never look at your phone the same way again . . .

Kate Collins has been ghosted.

Published October 22nd 2019 by Orbit

Start your review of Ghoster
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

this is a zoomy and entertaining horror-comedy novel that makes me very glad i have never owned a cellphone.

kate collins thinks she’s hit the romantic jackpot when, after a whirlwind courtship of only a few months, her dreamy boyfriend scott—so easy to talk to, so in synch with her own interests, so good in the bedroom—asks her to move in with him. ignoring the tiny red flags—why hasn’t she met any of his friends or family?, how well does she really know this guy?, why does he
Paromjit
An entertaining if slightly bonkers read from Jason Arnopp with its focus on social media, dating apps, and the phone addictions so prevalent in our contemporary society. Kate Collins is a paramedic in Leeds, a woman with a phone addiction that has led to her getting rid of her smart phone in favour of a call and text only model. We learn later the specifics and exact circumstances that led to her disposing of her phone, and its not pretty, with her worryingly concerning behaviour and actions. ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
3-3.5 stars

If you can suspend your need for credibility in a believable plot, this story was a lot of fun. I'll admit I've never been a part of the online dating scene, as my husband and I started dating before that really took off, but it still fascinates me to no end. The real driving factor to this tale is the question of whether Kate is being subjected to some sort of vila prank, or whether a supernatural entity is at work. I won't tell you which it is, but I found myself shocked by the
Michelle
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Imagine that you meet the guy/gal of your dreams and after a short courtship said guy/gal invites you to move in. You are over the moon and giddy with joy. So what if it's a couple hundred miles way and that you've left your flat, your job, your friends, and your life as you know it behind. All that matters is that you and your soul mate are together, right?

Now imagine that after making the couple hundred mile trek with all the belongings you have left in tow only to discover that your soul
Sara
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kate Collins has been ghosted. Ready to start a new life with her supposed soulmate Scott, she finds herself suddenly adrift in an empty flat with only silence. Has he simply lost interest? Is it a joke? Or something more sinister?

I’ve enjoyed this little furrow into techno thrillers. They offer a new and different perspective on the mystery genre, with the added dimension of technology as an underlying threat. This is a really
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy, horror
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/tZf_9HEMOIM

This horror thriller felt like reading an episode of the Black Mirror. Dark, smart and twisted, this novel hit so many of the notes that I love in that tv show. At its core, this novel explores our culture’s obsession with social media and the ways that those tools shape our lives.

With this focus on technology and social media, Ghoster felt like an ultra modern horror story. The book is saturated with references to Tinder, Instagram, What’s App
Lisa
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
This was not my kind of story. At all! I kind of knew from the book cover that this might not be my thing, but sometimes I need to try. First of all, I had no clue what "Ghosting" was, so I had to look that up. Sounds awful, by the way! Also, dating app's. I haven't a clue how that works. I've been stood up before, but the thought of judging people just by their looks is appalling.
So, the book. I never did finish it. Technology, and incredibly gullible characters made this a no go for me. I
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
31934011-1.png

This story is completely ingenious the concept of this totally reminds me of an episode of Black Mirror and I adore that show.
This is actually rather scary if you examine the deeper implications this story explores.
Genre-wise I would describe this as Horror with a touch sci-fi and paranormal included its a hard one really to categorise as it crosses the genre lines.
So after a whirlwind romance, Kate is moving to Brighton to live with Scott only issue is Scott seems to have gone AWOL and when
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Holy Hell! I need to write this review

Right.

Effing.

Now.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Well, this was definitely NOT what I was expecting. It was positioned as a thriller, so I wasn't expecting it to end up being horror! As other reviewers have mentioned, you'll definitely need to suspend disbelief for this one, especially if you aren't used to reading books with supernatural aspects. I do enjoy horror novels, so I kept reading.

The book immediately had me hooked, with Kate planning to move in with her long distance boyfriend Scott, only to arrive and find him gone, and his
Lisa Wolf
SMART PHONES BAD.

That seems to be the thesis statement of this horror novel in a nutshell.

Smartphones, and people's obsession with them, may literally be the root of all evil.

Kate is a successful paramedic who has only recently kicked a very nasty smartphone habit. She finally recognized that she was addicted to stalking exes through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and hooked on the mini-highs caused by the dopamine rush she gets each time someone likes her posts or tweets.

And then she meets
amanda
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read Jason Arnopp’s previous novel The Last Days of Jack Sparks and liked it okay. It was fun and fairly creepy.

This? Idek what this is. From the start I despised the main character. Male authors absolutely love to write female characters as these sex craved cool girl Barbies and it is beyond cliche.

I honestly have no idea what was going on in the book. It was all over the place. A bunch of ghosting/Tinder nonsense. This wasn’t for me sadly.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Orbit Books via NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own!

Ghoster by Jason Arnopp is a fairly long book at 496 pages, but it reads super quickly. Kate meets Scott on Tinder and then at a social media retreat, and their relationship takes off running. It seems idyllic but rushed, and 4 months later Kate is moving in with Scotr...but he is gone. His stuff is gone. His phone was left behind. So the mystery of "where did Scott go" ends up
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book started really well and I got hooked immediately. As soon as the supernatural stuff started happening it just became annoying. The second half of the book was terrible and it just bored me so much. I hated the supernatural aspect and it completely ruined the book for me. It had so much potential but definitely didn’t live up to expectations. It just became silly and ridiculous. I definitely don’t recommend this book.
Erin
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Giveaway win!
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, read-2019
3.5 stars.

Kate Collins is addicted to social media. In order to crack the habit, she enrolls in a technology detox program and buys an old school indestructible Nokia phone. At the detox program, she meets Scott Palmer. The two hit it off and soon, Scott asks Kate to move in with him. On the day she is meant to move in, she arrives at his apartment in a new city to find it abandoned with no Scott, no furniture, and the utilities cut off. She does, however, find his cell phone. Knowing no one in
Nicki
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Collins has been a paramedic for fifteen years,she loves her job,she loves helping people and saving people's lives. She also loves her boyfriend Scott,in fact she loves him so much that she is prepared to transfer from Leeds to Brighton and move in with him.

Only when she arrives at her new home,there is no sign of Scott,he has completely vanished along with all his possessions. The only thing that Kate finds in his deserted flat is his mobile phone.

Soon after,Kate starts receiving sinister
Will Klein
Rating: Ghoster - 6.5/10
-Will

Initially reviewed here at thequilltolive.com

I don’t have a lot of experience with dating apps, having been in a long term relationship until recently, and as such have viewed them with the same amused indifference granted to most of the technology I don’t interact with. Having spoken to friends that have used them, and through some low-level environmental exposure, I have, however, picked up on some key facets. All of this personal information none of you care about
OutlawPoet
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This one. Oh…this one.

I detested the main character with every fiber of my being. I mean, like, I wanted her to end up dead and dismembered or something. (Yeah, violent tendencies, whatevs.) To be fair, I also hated her best friend, her workmate, her boyfriend, and everyone else we met in the book.

But, oh, I wanted to know what was going on. I was confused and intrigued and simply knew that when all was revealed it was going to be a mind-blowingly amazing thing that would make it all worthwhile.
Liz Barnsley
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was probably the biggest fan in the world when it came to Jack Sparks so take it as read that when Ghoster dropped through my door it was, erm, read.

Shortly thereafter I locked my mobile phone in a cupboard and there it stayed until the random buzzing drove the rest of the household mad so I had to gingerly retrieve it.

Ghoster is a modern day tale of social media obsession and possession- it insightfully explores the realities of being electronically attached 24 hours a day then spins a
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/10/22/...

Like many readers who came to this novel, I am a huge fan of Jason Arnopp’s The Last Days of Jack Sparks so needless to say I could hardly wait to get my hands on Ghoster. Some of the early mixed reviews had me nervous though, so I went into it with my expectations in check. In some ways, I’m glad I did, because the book did not turn out the way I thought at all, and that was both a good and bad thing.

At the center of
Joanna Park
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow Ghoster is quite an intense, addictive, creepy read which was very difficult to put down. It’s going to be a difficult book to review as I don’t want to give anything away!

I think what makes this book so interesting is how realistic it seems as we are all guilty of spending too much time on social media and perhaps sharing too much. This book perfectly shows how important it is for people to feel accepted on line, how it feels to get a like, a comment or even a follow from someone. It gives
Emily
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as dnf
Setting this one aside after about 150 pages. Not much has happened, and it hasn't caught my interest. It feels very repetitive, and the mystery isn't mysterious enough for me to keep reading for 300 more pages. I was really looking forward to this one, so I'm a little sad.
Mindi
Nov 28, 2019 added it
Review to follow...
Kate
Very entertaining, fast and fun read that provides both chills and laughs. An enjoyable premise, albeit one that did test my powers of disbelief. Review to follow closer to publication on For Winter Nights.
FanFiAddict
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: +

Synopsis

Jason Arnopp – author of acclaimed cult hit The Last Days of Jack Sparks – returns with a razor-sharp thriller for a social-media obsessed world. Prepare to never look at your phone the same way again . . .

Kate Collins has been ghosted.

She was supposed to be moving in with her new boyfriend Scott, but all she finds after relocating to Brighton is an empty apartment. Scott has vanished. His possessions have all disappeared.

Except for his mobile phone.

Kate knows she shouldn’t hack
Lisa Leone-campbell
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forget about computers taking over the world, instead we should all be worried about our smart phones taking over!

In this suspenseful multi genre book of psychological thriller meets ghost story meets the macabre, you have a recipe for one heck of a ride!

When Kate Collins meets and falls in love with Scott Palmer at a weekend retreat on how to curb phone addiction, and he finally asks her to relocate and move in with him, she is beyond thrilled.

As the date of her move nears, Kate's contact with
Shalini
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was more like a chick lit kind of a book initially where Kate Collins had been ghosted by Scott after she left her home and job and traveled many miles to live with him. All she found was a mobile phone and an empty house. And she needed answers. FAST. But then strange messages appeared on Scott's phone and scratches on the door. What was happening?

My first book by Jason Arnopp, I too wanted to know the reason why Kate had been ghosted on such a dreadful manner. Having undergone the same
hannaღ
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I am quite disappointed...it didn't scare me at all ...more
Roz
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Umm..

First of all I kind of hated the MC, she tried too hard to be funny.. Secondly the whole second half was ridiculous. Seriusly unbelievable stuff.. and I’m not sure it even made any sense.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Reddening
  • Búrið
  • What She Saw Last Night
  • Magpie
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Lock Me In
Jason Arnopp is the author of the brand new chiller-thriller novel Ghoster (2019) and The Last Days Of Jack Sparks (2016). He is also the co-author of Inside Black Mirror with Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones.

Arnopp wrote the Lionsgate horror feature film Stormhouse, the New Line Cinema novel Friday The 13th: Hate-Kill-Repeat, various official Doctor Who works of fiction (including the BBC