Start by marking “Riot Street” as Want to Read:

Riot Street

A new contemporary romance from Tyler King
Also by Tyler King:
The Debt

"I've fallen in love with Tyler King's writing style and absolutely can't wait for her next book. Whatever it is, I'll be buying it! If you're looking for a swoony, addictive romance with just the right balance between angst, heartbreak, and hilarity, with light-hearted banter, a sexy love story, but als
Published April 30th 2017 by Forever Yours

To ask other readers questions about Riot Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot Street

Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Ever read a book's blurb and were still unprepared for the story held within its pages? That was me with RIOT STREET. I didn't expect half of what I got and I think that was what I loved most about it.

What else I loved:
📰 How naked and exposed the author allowed her characters to be. Both Avery and Ethan were devastatingly broken and at times neither one seemed able to subsist, mush less support the other.
📰 How the author tackled cult culture, not so much the day-to-day of that life, but it's a
Paige
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 "History" Stars

Riot Street is a complex story that weaves in and out of both main character's lives. Avery and Ethan have a tie that binds them which slowly entwines them closer together as their story unfolds. The unpredictability of their romance had me curious to see their connection and as each aspect of their relationship opened up, I was unable to put this down.

Avery is an aspiring journalist. Ethan is established in the publishing world. The connection? Avery's father. Ethan wrote a b
Francoise
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Soul-Stirring Stars!

The minute I started reading Riot Street, I knew I was about to embark on something truly special. Tyler King has this way of making you fall completely into her story and you feel like you are experiencing every emotion her characters are going through. This story felt real to me. The raw emotion, the depth and complexity of the characters contribute to create a soul-stirring, poignant story.

The heroes of this story, Avery Avalon and Ethan Nash are connected in a strange,
S.L. Scott
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riot Street is a unique and tenacious story told through the voice of Avery Avalon, a character reminiscent of a modern day Holden Caulfield. Tyler King’s writing style illuminates a stark world with lush description placing the reader in the scene as the characters navigate their changing world. The characters discover not only more about each other but who they are themselves. The dynamic personalities created in this book jump from the page in this refreshing and thoughtful 5 Star read.
AJ
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic, drama
3.5 unexpected stars

Tyler King’s second book is an intelligent, multifaceted, twisty read with wonderfully developed, flawed, complex characters. It’s a really unique read with a lot of drama and intensity, very different from what I was expecting and I enjoyed the originality of the story, and the fact that I had no clue what was coming as it all unfolded.

Avery Avalon had a tragically unorthodox upbringing, but she has bravely and boldly risen from the ashes of her past and is pursuing her dre
Melanie Moreland
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riot Street – what a gripping, raw, emotional read. Ethan and Avery’s lives are brought together by her past. She lived it—he wrote it.
When they meet in real life, their connection is so intense it becomes a force to itself. Ethan is a complex character, at times hard to like, and at times so wonderful it takes your breath away.
Avery has been through hell and back, and has a hard time accepting love. Once she does, she has to find the strength to endure, let go, and forgive.
Painful pasts, hard
Sarah - Musings of the Modern Belle
***AVAILABLE NOW - FULL REVIEW***

4 Unexpected Crowns

This is my first book by Tyler King, and it wasn't what I expected. Filled with complex characters and an unexpected story-line, it was a beautifully written romance.

The complexity of not only the characters but also their relationship is unusual in the romance world. Originally, readers see Avery as a character who needs guidance. As a survivor of a cult, she seems to be the one who struggles in public and social situations. Readers assume tha
Annie
4.5 stars- Unique characters and story

I’ve had Miss King’s debut novel on my TBR list for many months, but have yet to get to it. So when I saw the opportunity to read Riot Street as an ARC, I was eager to give her writing a try. Her unique writing style is clear from the outset. It’s detailed, contemplative, and often wanders a bit between subjects, almost as if the narrator can’t ignore the background noise. As the story is told exclusively from the heroine’s point of view and this is my firs
Bookworm Between the Sheets
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Riot Street led me on a very unsuspecting, thrilling ride! I loved Tyler King's writing style and also broadening my vocabulary while reading it.

Ethan wrote a book about a chapter in Avery's life, the chapter that she would like to forget.
"With everything you've been through in your life, no one would blame your for being a total mess, but you're not. Avery, you're probably one of the most well-adjusted people I've ever met. Prep school kids from Connecticut have more disorders."

This is a grea
Dawn Herring
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, so here goes:

Let me start by saying that I've never read anything by this author before, so I thought I was picking up just another typical romance novel. Nuh-uh. I knew from the first couple of pages that this would be very different, and it was. In the most magnificent way. Instead of the typical light beach read or more dark, angsty read, I found myself immersed in something not even on the normal romance spectrum. I completely
Naomi
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original Review @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

Honestly, when I first began this book I was unsure if I was going to enjoy it. I pushed through the opening few chapters and found it hard to connect to the main character. But the longer I read the better this book was! I began to like and even admire Avery, knowing what she had been through and that she had become a strong and determined woman, chasing her dreams and allowing someone into her heart. It was a fantastic read, that touched on some difficul
Izy
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating ~3.5 – 4 stars

Avery “Echo” Avalon is newly graduated journalist, now working for Riot street. Avery’s childhood had marked in a way that even after all these years she still has to deal with anxiety attacks and nightmares. She has always felt alone and has a difficult time connecting to people (which is understandable with her past). She is still trying to find who Avery really is.

Ethan Ash is award winning journalist and a author. He is the reason why Avery decides to take the job at Rio
Books Laid Bare
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A seriously sharp, emotionally astute read, Riot Street brought it’s A game and in my opinion it was absolutely first class. Told from Avery Avalon’s point of view, what we get to read and understand about her past and how that has impacted her present was astonishing.
I thought the depth of emotion that the author was able to inject, meant that this was a story that could easily be described as being passionately raw.
Ethan and Avery are connected through the events of her past but they had never
Catherine Bibby (Rochelle's Reviews)
I received a copy via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

Having already read The Debt by Tyler King, I was ready to embark into another one of her fictional stories. Soon I was engrossed into the less than savory world with whisperings of Avery's past and journalist willing to stop at nothing to get their stories! Tyler brought the world of journalism to life with the most sensational and juicy of stories that all center around Avery and her family with Ethan wielding the pen and you kn
Sara
4.5 stars!!

Tyler King has just been added to my must read author list!

Riot Street is a smart, intriguing romance about falling in love, learning to let others love you and learning to love yourself.

Avery and Ethan are both quite complex. Avery’s background is scarily complicated. She went through some serious trauma that led her to make bad coping decisions. With that now in the past, she is ready to move forward and start her career as a journalist. Her path is twisted with the introduction of
Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
4.5 Stars

This is the first book I have read from this author and I was truly blowin away!!

Ethan and Avery are intertwined in every aspect known and because of this I was intrigued from the beginning. This author knows how to write very well and engage the reader. Both these characters are fabulous and together it is a story..so interesting that you will want to keep reading until the very end hoping and praying that you get the HEA you are so desperately looking for.

Avery is an inspiring writer
Rhiannon St. Clair
***I received an ebook copy in exchange for an honest review***

Sometimes I read a book, and when I'm finished I just can't say enough good things about it. That's how I feel with Riot Street.

Avery is working towards a successful career in journalism, while at the same time trying to outrun her past. Ethan is an established journalist who has a fascination with the past that Avery wants to shed. When they're together, there's a very palpable chemistry between the two, but Ethan has a few skeleto
Siobhan
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riot Street was my first Tyler King book – and damn, what a read. Without a doubt, I will be keeping an eye on this author. This was such a fantastic read. It was so close to being a five star rating (in fact, a large part of me is screaming to hand out my first five star rating in many months). Honestly, it delivered so much. As soon as I started reading this one I found it was impossible to put down. I was well and truly addicted from start to end.

The first thing that grabbed me was the writin
Romance Rehab
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviews originally posted on the blog: http://www.romancerehab.com/blog/riot...

Riot Street is one of those reads that really kicks the crap out of the romance stigma. There’s nothing fluffy here. Every page, every word, every bit of dialogue, has a meaning and purpose in the overall story. With that in mind, I invite all critics of the romance genre to read this book. My guess is they’ll be singing a different tune by the time they’re done.

The plot of Riot Street is complex and unique, but what
Amy
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We’re both adults. Why should I deprive myself of the one person I want because we’re inconveniently employed?”

Another intriguing and complex story from author Tyler King.

Riot Street follows the story of Ethan and Avery. Connected by her past, Ethan and Avery are brought together by a job opportunity at Riot Street. Ethan has spent years trying to unravel Avery’s family scandal. He is charming and yet unpredictable. All Avery wants to do is move on from her past, but despite her best efforts, h
Katie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riot Street by Tyler King
4 stars!
Reviewed on behalf of 2 girls who love books
When I first read the blurb for this book I was really excited to read it and I wasn’t disappointed. It was a really intense read with some pretty emotional moments. The two main characters, Ethan and Avery, lives are intricately intertwined and it takes a while to understand them both. They are very complex characters but I couldn’t help but like them both. They both have problems that they need to work through and whe
Madhuri Pavamani
"Charming men who know they are charming are the worst."

That's just one of the many quotes that caught my eye and stuck in my brain as I read Tyler King's RIOT STREET, a romance written the way every romance should be: smart, sexy, and complex. King's story of Ethan and Avery is a slow reveal so worth getting caught up in -- her way with language will leave you breathless. I can't decide which I enjoyed better, losing myself in the romance or being bowled over by King's word magic. Since I could
Brittany (The Crafty Engineer's Bookshelf)
Riot Street is an incredible story. It's complex and gives you such an in-depth look into both main character's lives that it is extremely hard to put down.

Ethan wrote about Avery's childhood and is part of the reason she's had so many doors opened to her that might not have otherwise been there. She is wary of him at first because he does know all about her life and might even know more than she can even remember. The chemistry between these two is so intense however that it is only a matter a
Joey
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly Good

This review might be. Little spoilery so don't read any further if you wanna go in blind......
Still here? Ok good. I have a thing about addiction and alcoholism in books. Usually because it's just done wrong. There's a lot to addiction that unless you've been there, you can't really give it justice. There's nothing glamorous or romantic about an alcoholic in their cups. I can't stand when books glorify it either. All that being said, this book nailed all of it in a great way.
I
FS Meurinne
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, reviews
Tyler King is a new author to me, and certainly loved the book. Riot is a very touching story, its not only about personal struggles, but how if you have someone believing in you can make so much difference. Avery has been struggling, her past and her reality makes it hard for her to move forward. Ethan is a guy that will make you want to kill him and love him at the same time. They meet and they both find themselves helping each other in more ways than they thought possible.
The Book Fairy Reviews
Avery, living enduring and running from a past that has left scars so deep that she can still feel them. Surviving is how she lives her life. Love is something she doesn't know how to accept let alone keep.
Ethan, wrote about her pain, through that they have made a connection that will keep you glued to this book.
The pain, the love, the writing, will sweep you into her world, keep you hostage and then leave you bereft when you read the last words in the book. Amazing!
Meaghan
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I couldn't put it down. While I assumed this (as most romances do) would end happliy ever after, getting there was quite the adventure. The first two thirds of the book was much more fast-paced and captivating, but the lull towards the end didn't take away from watching Ethan and Avery figure out life and each other.
Julie Linhart
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018
Wow this book was an unexpected pleasure. I’ve never read Tyler King and oh boy is her writing style fantastic. I’m not exactly sure what to say about it but there is some incredible talent here.

I just really highly recommend reading this one. It just hit my very illusive best of 2018 list
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
This is an emotionally gripping and powerfully touching story about overcoming extremely difficult personal struggles and how even one person believing in you can make all of the difference in the world and I loved this!

This is the first book I've read by this author and it definitely won't be the last! I loved the way Ethan and Avery were able to find strength in each other and how even when at their worst they shared something truly special.

I highly recommend this to anyone to read and I loo
Bex | TotallyBex.com
Riot Street begins as a typical contemporary romance: young woman graduates from college, works for peanuts, writes an essay that goes viral overnight, gets dream interview. But that’s where the similarities to anything you have read before ends and the story veers off the traditional and expected course.

The story of Avery and her journey as a journalist unfurls slowly with details dropped like tiny little bombs when you least expect them. Intelligently written, the prose is poetic without being
Tyler King was once an alternate contestant on the Emmy-winning game show The Secrets of the Cryptkeeper’s Haunted House. She would later grow up to earn an assistant director credit on the award-winning film Fetus Fetish, which isn’t what it sounds like. Other impressive claims to fame include appearing in a Madame Tussaud’s exhibit and performing as an opening act for comedian Louie Anderson.
“Quit apologizing. If you walk around like a charity case, that’s how people will treat you.”
“Then stop acting like my chaperone.”
“I’m not going to let you get absorbed and disappear. So you might try a little gratitude.”
“And a touch of humility wouldn’t kill you.”
“I tried it once. Didn’t suit me.”
No kidding.”
0 likes
“You’re like my own polite stalker. It’s only a little creepy.”
“There it is.” Taking a bite, he reclines and stares up at the ceiling. “She said the S-word.”
“Really. I mean, I get it. I’m fascinating. You’re obsessed with me. Just as long as you don’t let it interfere with doing our jobs.”
He laughs, shaking his head. “You’re such a brat.”
“Creeper.”