Start by marking “Bear Came Along” as Want to Read:
Bear Came Along

Bear Came Along

A cheerful and action-packed adventure about the importance of friendship and community from a successful author and illustrator duo!

Once there was a river flowing through a forest. The river didn't know it was capable of adventures until a big bear came along. But adventures aren't any fun by yourself, and so enters Froggy, Turtles, Beaver, Racoons, and Duck.

These very di
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published June 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Came Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Came Along

Start your review of Bear Came Along
Calista
A cute beginning story about Bear going down a river and picking up some friends along the way.

The artwork was cute and had lots of action in it. The character's faces showed a lot of personality and fun. It's like the log ride at them parks with a bear and animals on the log.

It was a fun story and I'm not saying it's a great story. I have read over 100 books this year for those books published in 2019. I know there are many more than that published, but my point is I have read and seen a lot
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

I didn’t know what my picture book world was missing until….

…this sweet read came along! :)

One curious Bear gets the fun rolling with a log ride down the river! Along the way, Bear meets all kinds of new friends and survives all kinds of twists and turns. Jump aboard and see!

Richard T. Morris and LeUyen Pham create fun and meaning and color oh-so beautifully on the pages of Bear Came Along in words and pictures. Pictures I keep going back to again and again. Like the beautiful river! The blues a
La Coccinelle
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a simple, cumulative story about a bunch of forest animals and their shared experience on a river. It starts with Bear, who falls into the water and manages to climb onto a broken log. Then Froggy comes along. Soon, there are a whole bunch of critters rafting down the river. They don't really know where they're going, but they're all in it together. Even as they approach the waterfall...

I've read another collaboration by this duo before, the amusing Sheep 101 . The illustrations here
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

The storyline in this picturebook is simple: a bear befriends a bunch of forest animals on a chance adventure down the river. The message is also quite simple but heartfelt and very important: we are all in this together, through ups and downs; we need each other to make our lives meaningful; we are all different but complement each other perfectly; life is more fun with friends, etc. Cute :)

However, I wasn't completely in love with Richard T. Morris's text. For me, the flow felt a l
Rod Brown
While the art is visually exciting at times, the story didn't really do much aside from pile on more animals page after page.

Unrelated to my rating, I was a bit frustrated because this is the first time I have tried reading a picture book on the library ebook app, Libby. I didn't have the orientation set up correctly and kept getting only half of the two-page spreads at a time. I corrected that for a second run-through, but then the pictures were pretty small on my iPad. Ebooks are okay in a (co
Laura Harrison
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Maybe Bear Came Along will be the book that wins the illustrator, LeUyen Pham a Caldecott. Goodness knows she has been deserving of one for years.
Ms. B
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
With its message of "we're all in it together" and friendship, this was much more enjoyable as a reread in the middle of our COVID pandemic of 2020. Social distancing - nope. Masks - nope. 2019 was such innocent time.
11/15/19 Promote teamwork and community with this story about a group of animals with various talents and personalities who connect through a journey on a river.
Rian *fire and books*
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good story for the littler ones, but easily some older kids will enjoy the art. I loved how cute the art is. Especially the raccoon doing a dive (Pocahontas reference there?) off a waterfall. It’s a story that builds so it’s not super intricate and is pretty easy to understand.
Tasha
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A river flowed through the forest. The river had no idea it could have adventures until a big bear came along. As the curious bear toppled into the river, the adventure began. Soon Bear was joined by Froggy and they both climbed onto a log which headed down the river. Along the way, others joined them too. There was the beaver who could captain, the turtles who were worried about disaster, the raccoons who didn’t know how to be careful, and the duck they crashed into. Then came the waterfall…

Mor
Winnie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I love this picture book. Great illustrations with pretty colors. A great message too. A really quick read
"So many different animals living their separate lives, but they didn't know they were in it together."
DaNae
The illustrations kill.
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You really need your friends if you are going to navigate the river of life - wonderful book with fantastic art!
Kaitlin Bisbee
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bear Came Along is a sweet children's picture book that highlights the importance and joy in diversity in a subtle way. The adventure starts when a bear accidentally breaks a log and falls into the water, riding the log down the river. As the river flows and turns animals begin to join the log ride. A frog, two turtles, a raccoon, a duck, and a beaver. Each animal has a different personality, which is really expressed well through their facial expressions and illustrations. They all start off te ...more
Vicki
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
There is great humor and a lesson about looking at the world around you and going out into it. I love the “until” on some of the pages-this would be a good spot to wonder what is going to happen next before you turn the page if you are reading it with a young one.

The endpapers are cute and could be looked at after reading the story through to discuss the story more.

The illustrations are fabulous and colorful and large.
Beverly
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exuberant and joyful book, which has bear journeying down river on a log, collecting other animals as he goes. The large cartoon illustrations in watercolor, ink and gouache perfectly express the fun and excitement of the journey of these animals. This would make a great read-aloud to a group of kiddos.
Lynn Plourde
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
The river connects bear, froggy, turtles, beaver, raccoons, and duck. They didn't even know something was missing in their lives--connection! But life is more fun, more purposeful, plus we can tackle bigger problems when we face it together. You're not alone. I'm not alone. Find a friend, a bunch of friends, and carry on!
Lesley Burnap
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a book to start your school year! The theme of interconnectedness is lovingly told through the words & pictures! And wait until you see the gorgeous illustrations from Leuyen Pham! Check out the “map” on the end pages! So much to share about this book, but I’ll let YOU discover it for yourself! ...more
Kifflie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book sucked me in with the fun pictures, and the message was a little lost on me until I read the author's notes. It's a subtle one: we're all in this together, even given our differences, and cooperation is the way to overcome difficulties.
Abby Johnson
This is a colorful story about woodland creatures inadvertently taking an adventure down the river together, each of their different personalities adding something to the journey. Hand to fans of Karma Wilson's Bear books or THE RED SLED by Lita Judge.
Susanne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliant, beautiful, funny illustrations by LeYuen Pham. Excellent end papers! A very fun read aloud. Older kids will get the message of how we’re all in this together, and that we really don’t know ourselves until we get out in the world and be around others.
Erin
Very cute. I love the illustrations.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever, funny
Wendy Garland
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
Great book to share about bringing people together.
Deb
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
I really like the illustrations in this book. I would love to see more by this illustrator. The story is cute too. Alena and I enjoyed this book.
Anthony
A bear finds adventure and friendship while riding along down a river on a log when he is joined by a frog, some turtles, a beaver, two raccoons, and a duck. Fun story
Earl
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This cumulative tale is a fun read aloud. Much props to LeUyen Pham for her illustrations that proved to be as much of an unexpected adventure as the story itself.
Kris Patrick
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Winner of Central Indiana Literacy Council 2020 Mock Caldecott Award 🥇
Beth
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-children
Adorable! Great book to read to younger children. Love the illustrations!!!
Philip
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Story: 4
Illustrations: 4.5

Sweet, simple message. Detailed stylish illustrations that become more and more colorful throughout.
Joan
Deceptively simple story with fun illustrations that aims to let kids know it takes all sorts to be part of life and that’s ok. Won the 2020 Caldecott award. Might buy for my grandson.

• Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Truman
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Maybe Tomorrow?
  • Sweety
  • Ghost Cat
  • Good Night, Wind
  • I Have an Idea!
Richard T. Morris is the author of This Is a Moose and Bye-Bye, Baby! and a former E.B. White Award Honoree and Midwest Bookseller Choice Award winner. He lives in New Jersey with his family.

News & Interviews