Start by marking “Winter Solstice (Winter #4)” as Want to Read:
Winter Solstice (Winter #4)

Winter Solstice

(Winter #4)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  12,844 ratings  ·  1,197 reviews
Raise one last glass with the Quinn Family at the Winter Street Inn.

It's been too long since the entire Quinn family has been able to celebrate the holidays under the same roof, but that's about to change. With Bart back safe and sound from Afghanistan, the Quinns are preparing for a holiday more joyous than any they've experienced in years. And Bart's safe return isn't t
Published October 3rd 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

Melissa
Grab a glass of wine, a box of tissues and settle in for what can only be described as a bittersweet goodbye to the Quinn family. Knowing this was the last time I would walk through the doors of the Winter Street Inn and see it decked out for the holiday season—with Mitzi’s infamous nutcracker collection on display, her obnoxious assortment of Byers' Choice carolers screaming to be rearranged and the glass jar filled with the colorful ribbon candies that always look better than they taste—forced ...more
Zoe
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Affecting, heartwarming, and romantic!

Winter Solstice is a sweet, unexpected surprise that gives us one last chance to check in with the Quinns and savour their special moments, new loves, old loves, and heartbreaking losses.

The prose is clean and crisp. The characters are lovable, engaging, and genuine. And the plot is a compelling tale about life, love, family, acceptance, loss, sorrow, friendship, growing up, growing old, and moving on.

Winter Solstice is ultimately an emotional ending to a ch
Brandice
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Winter Solstice today and thought it was the perfect and fitting finale to the Winter series. I really enjoyed binging through these books over the past week or so, and getting swept up in the Quinn family’s drama.

I’m also glad I waited to read these books until the series was complete, so I could continue reading them straight through. I was surprised to learn that the third book, Winter Storms was originally going to be the finale in the trilogy. While I enjoyed the book, I would’v
Stacey
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The final chapter of the Quinn Family *sigh*. What a treat it is to read #4 of this trilogy. This family has carved a special place in my heart.

Winter Solstice brings the Quinn family up to date with added dilemmas, new opportunities, and a very sad goodbye. With a tear in my eye, I close the book and bid the Quinn family adieu.
Amy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5/5

Winter Solstice is the fourth and final book in a series that’s followed the Quinn family over the past four years, mainly during the holidays. Winter Storms, the third book was actually supposed to be the last book, but we got this one as a bonus! I was so happy because I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to this family, and even a year later I’m realizing I’ll never be ready, but this really was a fitting ending to a fabulous series that proves the queen of the beach read can more than hold her
Susan
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Winter Solstice

Elin Hilderbrand

WINTER SOLSTICE is the fourth and final book in the Winter series by Elin Hilderbrand. I fell in love with the Quinn family in 2012 and I've never stopped. With each book, my feelings just got stronger and stronger and that is exactly why I finished WINTER SOLSTICE with tears streaming down my face. Please, if you decide to give this series a chance, and I think everyone should read it, keep the tissues right next to you. You are definitely going to need them.

All t
Erin
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, series
I just keep crying over this damn series. Oh the Quinn's are one of my favorite literary families and I SOB wish them all well in the future. I was satisfied with how all their stories ended, especially Patrick and Jennifer. It was great to finally "meet" Bart and give him a little love story. But this book was definitely all about darling Kelley . I suspect I shall ride this emotional rollercoaster for a little bit more time.
Sheyla ✎

What a bittersweet moment to end this book!

Over the past month (I know, I was not suffering through years like so many) I have come to enjoy learning about everything Elin Hilderbrand wanted to tell me about these characters. I have come to adore this not-so-perfect family with their quirks and all.

Bart coming back home from Afghanistan and finally listening to his point of view was something I enjoyed tremendously. He was a man who was suffering and who deserved some happiness.

I was ecstati
Kat
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
I have loved the Winter series from the very first book. In this fourth installment, the Quinn family is returning to Nantucket, but circumstances are bittersweet. Bart is home from Afghanistan, and everyone continues to hope for his recovery, but their father is very ill and his prognosis is grave. In interesting developments, Ava gets to meet her boyfriend’s son! Jennifer’s career may take an interesting turn! Fun times!

Trigger Warning: (view spoiler)

Please excus
Debra
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the fourth book in the series and the last in the Winter series. Most books work as a stand alone novel when I have not read the previous ones. This one did not. I have not read the previous books in this series and I absolutely believe that if I had read those books, I would have enjoyed this book more. I can only say that if you have not read the previous books in this series, do so prior to reading this book!

The winter solstice is approaching as the Quinn Family gathers for the holida
Lynn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-reads
This seemed like a nice ending to the series. Many loose ends were tied up and all the story lines were resolved satisfactorily. Some characters outside the Quinn family, Eddie Pancik and his family, are given are prominent roles in this book for some reason, maybe because the drama in the Quinn family is running its course. But there are still some issues for the Quinn family, some more heart breaking than others.
I have to say that I teared up at the last couple of pages, having been through t
Kelly Hill
As much as I hated the last one I had to finish the series. This family is full of dreadful self centered people and I really just wish a whale would wash ashore on Nantucket and swallow them all. Elin’s books used to have compelling characters but I think she needs to take a break and stop churning out 1-2 books a year. Her recent characters have no depth and this family is full of spoiled brats.

This book followed the format of the first three but for some reason she added in an additional nar
Toni
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How thankful are we fans of Elin's to get a fourth book in what we thought was a Trilogy. This book nicely ties up this series with wonderful and creative stories as well invites a few new characters that I suspect may take us into the future. As Kelly is ill and Mitzi starts planning for her future, she's thinking of selling the Inn. What?! How does everyone else feel about this? Bart is finally coming out of his room and thinking about his future. Kevin and Isabelle already have their business ...more
Anna
In the final installment of the Winter Street Inn series, it is time to bid farewell to the Quinn family. It's the holiday season and things are looking up for the Quinn children. Kelley, the patriarch and owner of the Inn is preparing for his last goodbye. As they all gather, like any family, there are misunderstandings and mishaps. But the love and the bonds that hold them together prevail.
My favorite of the series.
Terri Wino
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2017
3-1/2 stars rounded up to 4.

I was perfectly happy with the way this family's story was wrapped up in the third book of what was originally supposed to be a trilogy. Given some of the events that transpired at the end of that book, I knew Winter Solstice was going to bring out the mushy feelings and that I would probably need the old box of tissues nearby. Yep. Sure did.

I was glad that this book wasn't just a bunch of fluff thrown together to squeeze out a fourth book. Each of the family members
Elvan
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once more with feeling.

It wouldn’t be Autumn without a stroll down Winter Street on Nantucket Island and a chance to catch up with the Quinn family at the Winter Street Inn. Winter Solstice is the fourth and final installment of the Winter Series by Elin Hilderbrand. I can’t be the only fan who was happy there were so many loose ends to tie up in Winter Storms that this trilogy was made into a quartet. If you haven’t read the first three books involving the Quinns I recommend you make your holi
Cassidy (Cassidys.Bookshelf)
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I just finished Winter Solstice and I'm so sad that I had to say my final goodbye to the Quinn family.  😭 I was hesitant to read the fourth book since it was supposed to be a trilogy, but I'm so glad I read the series in it's entirety. I loved how everything was wrapped up with this book, even with all of it's heartache. Oh Quinn family, you will be missed. 4/5⭐
Kate Olson
While I am so sad to see this series end, WINTER SOLSTICE wrapped up the story of the Quinn Family and the Winter Street Inn perfectly.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

Hilderbrand's Winter series has been giving me warm and fuzzies since the publication of WINTER STREET in 2014, and I have eagerly awaited each subsequent title - next up was WINTER STROLL, then WINTER STORMS, and now finally WINTER SOLSTICE. Please please PLEAS
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Loved this series. Loved the Quinn family. Not perfect, but all lovable. Gotta say though, I got pretty annoyed with Ava when it came to the Nathaniel and Scott storyline in the last two books. Especially when it came to Scott. She had them both on a leash, dating both of them at the same time, and then ended up acting like Scott was the flaky one who wounded her. I just didn’t buy that?? I also didn’t really buy into her and Potter in the third book, but thought it was fine in the fourth. I eve ...more
Denise
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I was so excited to hear that Elin Hilderbrand was adding a 4th book to this series. I'd grown attached to the characters and was anxious to hear about the next chapters (see what I did there?) in their lives. On a positive note: Kelly and Bart were written very well. This is what I came for. Bart's storyline ended too abruptly in book 3 and Kelly...had me tearing up on my evening commute.

So why, oh why, was there a need to introduce new characters in the final book?? We have Eddie...who I thin
Maggie Kosciolek
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a bittersweet ending to a book series I can’t believe it took me so long to read. I cried at the end of this, not only for the story but also because I am serious sad to bid farewell to the Quinn family, especially Margaret. If you haven’t read this serious, bump it on your list because it definitely not one to be missed.
Melissa
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m so sad to see this series ending. I have loved all the books. The Quinn family is filled with amazing characters that makes you love them for all their craziness. This book definitely made me think about life and how it’s important to live it before your time is up.

I definitely recommend the first three books to be read first before this one to better understand what is going on.
Peggy Jaeger
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilderbrand has given her readers a truly beautiful ending to the QUinn family. What started as a Christmas story in Winter Stroll, has come full circle in WInter Solstice.
ALl the Quinn regulars are in attendance plus some a few favorites from The Rumor, all blended together few final story of The Quinn family.
Kelly and Mitzie are still together, although Kelly now has terminal cancer and Mitzie wants to sell the Inn
Jenn and Paddy are finally back on ground financially - almost - and now Jennife
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was the finale, the good-bye, the tying up the loose ends in the Quinn family dramas. I loved this group of characters. They were so real. They were a family with drama, humour and a lot of love. The series takes place over the last 4 years with each book set a Christmas. This one was bittersweet and I finished it with tears, but I still loved the story.

This story finds the Quinn family in transition. Margaret, aka, Maggie is retiring from her career as a CBS news anchor, Bart who was rescu
Amy Yingling
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried like a baby! You've been warned!
Lauren R.
Hmph. I didn't love this series to begin with but the incredibly NOT Christmassy (or happy) end didn't help here. I'm happy with where she ended things with most of the characters and this really felt like a series finale, which is a good thing. The story happens from October through December but the holiday feels were incredibly minimal, aside from some setting-related pieces. If you're looking for an uplifting or heartwarming holiday series, stay away from this series. I would lightly recommen ...more
Leanne
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
I've enjoyed getting to know the Quinn family through the series, but this, the final book in the series, left me unsatisfied. Too many characters and competing story lines for my taste. Props though for mentioning Aurora, TC, and having a minor character named Leanne.
Susan Crowe
I LOVED this trilogy + one. I am so sad it's ending. I will truly miss the Quinn family.
Marla
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A great finish to wrap of the story of the Quinn family. I really enjoyed this series.
Ticket to Read Bo...: Winter Solstice 1 8 Feb 03, 2018 09:18PM
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin

Winter (4 books)
  • Winter Street (Winter, #1)
  • Winter Stroll (Winter #2)
  • Winter Storms (Winter, #3)
“Folded-over chips are preferable to flat chips—why is that? It’s one of life’s ten million mysteries.” 0 likes
“figures. PJ was in the middle, Trish and Harrison were to PJ’s right, and Potter and Ava were to PJ’s left. All of the figures were holding hands and the sun was shining above them. The drawing was more than Ava” 0 likes