Start by marking “The Quarterback Whisperer: How to Build an Elite NFL Quarterback” as Want to Read:
The Quarterback Whisperer: How to Build an Elite NFL Quarterback

The Quarterback Whisperer: How to Build an Elite NFL Quarterback

What is an elite NFL QB and what separates that player from the others? One answer is the coach they share. In the recent history of the biggest game on earth, one man is the common thread that connects several of the very best in the sport: Peyton Manning; Ben Roethlisberger; Andrew Luck; and the resurgent Carson Palmer. That coach is Bruce Arians.

A larger than life
Published July 11th 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about The Quarterback Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quarterback Whisperer

Start your review of The Quarterback Whisperer: How to Build an Elite NFL Quarterback
Lance
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Arians is the current head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, but has been known to be one of the best quarterback coaches in the history of the NFL. He has been called “the quarterback whisperer” for his ability to get quarterbacks to play to the best of their abilities. This book with that title is an excellent memoir on how he has been able to connect with some of the best players in recent years to play the position.

Arians states that he believes the perfect quarterback would be a mixture
ben kooker
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alexander Fitzgerald
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Saw this one on sale at a used book store. Picked it up because I'm intrigued how Bruce Arians came back to the NFL to try and turn Jameis Winston around. I thought I might get some insight into the man through his book.

What you get in The Quarterback Whisperer, however, is not so much Bruce Arians as good football journalism.

The book reads like a (long) great article for Sports Illustrated, where "Bruce Arians" breaks down each quarterback he's worked with.

There's not much in the way of
Whitney
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
"No risk it, no biscuit." The mantra of one of the greatest NFL coaches of this time.

Bruce Arians is a character all unto himself. Growing up in a blue-collar part of Pennsylvania, Arians has been unfiltered since birth and it's damn fantastic. The Quarterback Whisperer not only gives readers an inside look into what makes up a great QB, but also who the man under the infamous flat hat is.

The life of a football coach (and his family) is not an easy one and Arians makes sure the reader
Bryan Nelson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Great read to learn more about B.A. As a Chicago Bears fan I was a bit bummed when they didn't sign him. As a Phoenix native, I'm thrilled I get to cheer him and the AZ Cardinals on. This book, for me, was a glimpse into B.A.'s approach to leadership through the examples of his role with different QBs (Peyton M., Ben R., Andrew L. and Carson P.). So as much value and enjoyment I got from learning more about B.A. I got equal amount of enjoyment getting a look into these great QBs.
Hank Lucas
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bruce gives a detailed description of his life starting as a five year old in West Virginia, through all of his coaching jobs, to finally a head coach for the Arizona Cardinals. The book first described Peyton Manning's upbringing as well as the time Bruce spent with him as his quarterbacks coach. It then turns to Ben Roethlisberger, and his childhood through his early years in the NFL. The section on Andrew Luck goes through his German childhood to the NFL. He starts his chapter on Carson ...more
Ian Allan
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
He's got something to bring to the table. He's coached Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer and others, and he gives us some behind-the-curtain stories. He seems to be one of the league's best offensive coaches, with more ability than most to break down defenses. Also seems to be a nice guy -- has a stronger relationship with his players than most.

He gives us an idea of his philosophy. He believes in passing deep -- having that option/potential on every play -- and he
Joe Loncarich
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bruce Arians is such a football guy that, since he was lactose intolerant, drank paint instead to make his bones strong. He went to the hospital twice for drinking paint. The most disappointing part of that is that I'll never know how many times he drank paint, only how many times he went to the hospital from lead poisoning.

Anyway, if you're a football guy, you should probably read this book.
Mike
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read after finishing "Battlefield Earth," so my first reaction is to say that Bruce Arians and Lars Anderson are the best writers of all time.

Then I calm down a bit.

This was enjoyable, particularly as an NFL fan who really paid attention to the game from the mid-90s until 2012 or so (I still follow it, of course). It reads just like your uncle telling you stories about his glory days.

The book's selling points are on four quarterbacks who have made waves for a period of
Zach Koenig
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Bruce Arians has coached quite a stable of NFL quarterbacks over the course of his coaching tenure: Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger, Andrew Luck, & Carson Palmer. "The Quarterback Whisperer" is the story of his coaching and personal interactions with those players, as well as his own life around the game of football.

The stories of Arians' career and interactions with players carry the text in this one. With such a notable resume to his credit, the tales he can tell are engrossing and
Jamie Watts
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an absolute legend. Reading this so soon after Arians recent retirement & tearful last press conference as the HC of the Cardinals made it truly bittersweet to read.

A great insight into the methods & character of a uniquely charismatic sports figure, focusing on his ability to have seemingly always got the very best of NFL quarterbacks. He has always seemed to work with, & indeed mould, the very best ranging from Peyton Manning to Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck etc.

A real players
Derek Millard
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the book “The quarterback whisperer” by Bruce Arians it explains the main things that can make an ordinary quarterback turn into an elite quarterback. Bruce was a quarterback for Virginia in college and then he was a quarterbacks coach for the Indianapolis Colts when Peyton Manning was drafted and helped develop Peyton into one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. With all of his experience adding up throughout his career the Arizona Cardinals gave him a chance to be their head coach and ...more
David
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not the greatest writer -- he repeats [and explains] his mantra "no risk it, no biscuit" [throw deep, in other words] quite a few times, interspersed with praising himself for being a straight shooter who doesn't BS people, alternating with quoting people [including his wife!] who share the view that he is a straight shooter and doesn't BS people, and so on much more than necessary to make the points.

Also, his analyses of what makes a great NFL QB are not that surprising -- they need to be
Wanda Keith
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"No risk it, no biscuit" is the mantra of Bruce Arians, coach of the Arizona Cardinals. This book takes you on a journey from a young man kicked out of high school to one of the best coaches in the NFL. It is mostly about his relationships with his quarterbacks that shape the book and his favorites were Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger, and Carson Palmer. Arians had a way of making lemonade out of lemons and always found the best in any situation he found himself in. This is a ...more
Matt Layman
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The QB Whisperer is more a collection of storytelling than it is a biography of Bruce Arians. That’s OK — just know what you’re getting into.

As an avid sports fan, a professional sports journalist and only a casual fan of the NFL, I felt this book was entertaining but not fascinating. It was good, and it was particularly useful in exploring the habits and personalities of quarterbacks that Arians worked with. If you want to learn more about what it’s like to coach Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger
Andrew Haile
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book! Learned so much about Bruce Arians that I didn't know, as well as many of the coaches and players he's been alongside during his career. I thought the "small world" scenarios were the most interesting part. Highly recommend this for all football fans. (You know Bruce Arians is a true quarterback whisperer if he got the Browns to the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb!)
Eric
Just finished Bruce Arians’ book... It immediately takes a spot on my list of favorite books. His insights on leadership are great, and it’s fascinating to read about his experiences with all of the quarterbacks he has coached. Definitely worth checking out if you are a football fan.

And remember... No risk it, no biscuit.
Matt Moran
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
Entertaining memoir. "No risk it, no biscuit."

The best anecdote in the whole book came on page 1. Bruce Arians needed to get stronger to play football, but he was lactose intolerant. His solution was drinking paint!
William Housley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take risks. Dream big. Always be yourself.

Take risks. Dream big. Always be yourself. Word hard. Lead with concern, compassion and integrity. Enjoy the journey. Make progress daily.
Tye Rexrode
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Simple

This was more a a self aggrandizing memoir and less a practical framework on building a quarterback. Kind of upset I didn’t go into coaching quarterbacks... I mean this window licker actually made 6mil a year. Typical dumbass coach. Rename it the douche whisperer
Jason Stokes
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 52-books-2018
This is an excellent book to understand what it's really like to live and work in the NFL. Arians is the coach everyone wishes they had and every QB wants in his corner. This is one of my favorite bio books ever. Truly entertaining.
Kevin
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 stars + 1 because he coaches my Cards!
Ryan
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing against his life story, I was just hoping for more insight on what makes a great quarterback. Would’ve liked to hear about more failures, and in betweeners.
Bob
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stories!

I’ve so enjoyed following Bruce’ career back to his Va. Tech days. Very enjoyable read! Especially the parts on my good friend Tim Couch.
Tyler Davis
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Arians is the man!
Christos Tsakmalis
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very easy to read. It helps me to understand more about this wonderful game.
He writes as he talks. A very good coach. I am happy to read this book.
Aaron
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry BA. I could not finish it.
David King
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast listen. Interesting insights and background info from a football lifer.
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
not really about building a quarterback; more like discussing in each chapter what is good and bad about each one, interspersed with personal/family issues
Matt Ishler
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed Arians' writing and thoughts on the construction of a successful quarterback. Also really enjoyed insight into Manning, Roethlisberger, Palmer, Luck, and Holcomb.

• Gridiron Genius: A Master Class in Winning Championships and Building Dynasties in the NFL
  • Gunslinger: The Remarkable, Improbable, Iconic Life of Brett Favre
  • Above the Line: Lessons in Leadership and Life from a Championship Season
  • Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times
  • The Genius of Desperation: The Schematic Innovations that Made the Modern NFL
  • Parcells: A Football Life
  • Quarterback: Inside the Most Important Position in the National Football League
  • Astroball: The New Way to Win It All
  • Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life
  • Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All Time
  • The Cubs Way: The Zen of Building the Best Team in Baseball and Breaking the Curse
  • Mind and Matter: A Life in Math and Football