Start by marking “Raid (Wastelanders #2)” as Want to Read:
Raid (Wastelanders #2)

Raid

(The Wastelanders #2)

"A full throttle, sand-in-your-eyes, no holds barred ride through a Mad Max-style wasteland." - Delilah S. Dawson on Bite
Clementine is a bounty hunter in a world gone mad.

Bound and gagged in her passenger seat is the most revered and reviled raider king in the eastern wastes. She can't cash him in and she can't let him go, so together they cross the wasteworld, follo
Published July 25th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Raid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raid

Start your review of Raid (Wastelanders #2)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/08/18/...

If you took a buddy movie and combined it with the desolation of the Fallout series and the rip-roaring explosive action of Mad Max, then you just might end up with something that looks a lot like Raid. Set in the same world as the author’s debut novel Bite, this was another entertaining romp through a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with raiders and cannibals.

Told through the eyes of a scarred and vengeful bounty hunter
Lisa
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Speculative Herald: http://www.speculativeherald.com/2017...

In Raid, Merbeth takes us back to the wastes where we can see all the violence and messiness that comes with it. If you haven’t read Bite, I can sum it up as a post-apocalyptic type, mad max type of world. With cannibals (or sharks as they are called in the books). It can be an isolating world, and the perspective of Clementine really highlights this. She hunts raiders, who destroy and endanger towns, but it also actually fe
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/4MT01RhHD-U

This super entertaining page-turner that reads like an action-adventure movie in the vein of Mad Max.

Raid is the follow up or companion to the author`s debut novel, Bite, which I also read and loved. This is set in the same world, but has an entirely separate story with a different set of characters. If you previously read Bite, you will catch up fun Easter-eggs in Raid. However, readers can pick up the books in either order without being spoil
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
4.5 stars!

You can also find this review on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I think that the blurb does a good job of outlining the principal story being told in Raid. Clementine is a revered bounty hunter in the Eastern wastes, spending her time hunting down raiders and miscreants and she’s damn good at the job. Jedediah Johnson is the dictator in the East. Where
Jennrin
I. Am. So. Angry.

I haven't been this angry at a book in a looooong time. Like I felt rage when I finished this, my friends. I had to immediately call a friend to scream about my ~*feelings*~.

I didn't like Bite (the first book in this series), but I read Raid because I had bought a bind up of the two and I really love Mad Max, okay? With Bite, I felt that the author didn't deliver on any kind of depth I was expecting from the plot summary. Raid, however, delivers on every aspect and then some.

I
Sara Garcia
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man oh man did I love this book! Holy shit. I am not a fan of first person books at all (I know, I know, don't judge me) and this one literally grabbed me by the shirt and shoved me down on the ground. Then beat the shit out of me.
And. I. Loved. It.
Jesus, the characters, the setting, the plot. The twists! All of it was freaking fan-damn-tastic and I wish I could wipe it from my memory just to have the satisfaction of reading it all over again for the first time.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
I LOVED this book. A gritty post-apocalypse world mad max style, with a badass heroine. There is no love story, so I'm pretending that Clementine is queer, because dayum.

Destiny Johnson
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, badass female lead, post apocalyptic universe. This checks a lot of boxes for me. Occasionally I wanted Clementine to loosen up but that was overshadowed by my overall delight with this book.
Shannon
Listened to the audiobook narrated by Rachel Frawley
Kristen Tarzwell
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. The only way I would change it would be to make it longer.
Laurie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Another fun, fast adventure story from K.S. Merbeth. This is set in the same world as Bite but with different characters. Some of the same characters from Bite briefly appear, but it's easily a stand alone story that doesn't require reading the first book to understand it (though I highly recommend you do!). Clementine is a bounty hunter in a post-apocalyptic waste land where chaos and death are the every day norm. She finally gets a chance to go after the man who killed her f ...more
Vinay Badri
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Aaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is the kind of book that is so frustrating as hell cos the twist doesnt work after keeping a reader engrossed and enthralled for close to pretty much the whole book. The resolution just felt unexpected and the direction after that left the book hanging and I almost wanted to check the (e)book away

But before that, the entire book is one hell of a ride. An almost Mad-Max-esque dystopian world with a bounty hunter as a lead ferrying one of the most dangerous men of t
Koeur
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok

Publisher: Orbit

Publishing Date: July 2017

ISBN: 9780316308731

Genre: Dystopian/Post-Apoc

Rating: 2.5/5

Publishers Description: Bound and gagged in her passenger seat is the most revered and reviled raider king in the eastern wastes. She can’t cash him in and she can’t let him go, so together they cross the wasteworld, following a dying road and dodging bloodthirsty raiders who either want to free Jedediah or claim him as their own.

Review: Quick pace, a lot
Margaret
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Clementine is a bounty hunter in the post-apocalyptic land known as the wastes. It’s a desert landscape dotted with small, ramshackle villages that survive on scavenged bottled water and canned beans from the time before. In the eastern wastes, the towns are “protected” by a tyrant named Jedediah Johnson who demands a portion of their supplies as a tax. It’s the members of Johnson’s crew that make up most of Clementine’s bounties.

One day Clementine receives a tip about the location of Johnson hi
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clementine lost her family and her town due to tyrannical Jedediah, who demands increasing tithes from those who live in his lands. Now, she works as a bounty hunter, making ends meet in a solitary existence. Longing for vengeance but seeing it as impossible, she goes about her life being rebuffed by townies for her scarred face and violent job. One day, a strangers gives her a tip on how to get into Jedediah's mansion undetected which amazingly turns out to be true and not a trap. Clementine bi ...more
Abraham Thunderwolf
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalypse
Raid starts off with the protagonist shooting someone in the knees. This isn't a spoiler, it literally happens in the first page. So I was hooked from the beginning. You know the post-apocalyptic wastelands can be a dreary thing, but Raid is kick ass about the whole thing. There's no moping about, reminisce of how things were before The Fall. There's not much hand wringing over the Implications. You know what i am talking about. But it's not stupid. What good characters! Tough and charming and c ...more
H. P.
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-sf
The Mad Max comparison (courtesy of a cover quote from Delilah Dawson) does Raid no favors. You might say “a Mad Max-style wasteland,” but saying Mad Max implies some serious vehicular madness (the vehicular madness predates the post-apocalyptic wasteland in the movie franchise, after all). Raid’s main character, Clementine, is a bounty hunter with a kick-butt truck . . . that she almost immediately trades away. She spends much of the rest of the book on foot. It is all good fun, but I have to s ...more
LilyElement
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Raid is book two in the Wastelanders series. I loved book one in this series so I knew I had to grab book two when it came out. I'm so glad I did, while this does involve a new group of people in the same world, we do get a glimpse of the characters from the previous installment. You don't have to read these in order but I would suggest you do, so you're more familiar with the world. But they can be read as standalone books if needed.

We start off meeting our leading lady, Clementine. She's a bou
Morgan Chalfant
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It gets points for feeling like a female-centric Mad Max story. The world that is built is equally destitute and compelling, though I would have liked to see a little more depth. The main character is interesting, though the nature of the character did have me teetering on whether I liked her or not. The book has a few twists and turns, which weren't overly predictable and the pacing keeps the story roaring ahead. I felt the ending fell a little flat, but it didn't kill my enjoyment of the rest ...more
PAF Creative Jacob
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 3.8 stars (cumulative rating at the time of this review) is probably more honest than my 4 if, and only IF this is your second foray into the post apocalyptic world laid out by Merbeth in the first novel.

Great fun, fast pace, always interesting and very few luls with fun and interesting side characters and a cool if slightly easy to predict twist(s) at the end.

I love the world Merbeth has created in these books but don't go mistaking them for a heavy reads.

Hard and fast fun which is just
Mely
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A fun and addictive read. I love the way there is action from the first moment you pick up this book. I'm surprised how much I liked it considering I'm not much of a Mad Max fan. I think the fact that the main character is a strong-willed female makes it relatable. It would be cool to see this adapted into a movie. Interesting twists and turns in the plot and a great book to suggest for reading slumps.
Tobin Elliott
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, fiction, audiobook
You know what? This one was predictable as all hell.

But for all of that, I had an absolute blast in Clementine's world. Nice to see the Kid and her group from the first book, Bite.

Don't come in looking for literature. This is pure fun, and definitely worth the price of admission.
Kristine
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Raid by K.S. Merbeth is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-July.

Clementine, an embittered lady bounty hunter lives under the reign of the tax collector of Jedediah Johnson, a tax collector, in a place where the punches always land, everything hurts, and everything and everyone is gritty.
Vanessa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-with-a-bang
3.5
Another delightful romp through the wastes, this time following a bounty hunter and her target.
Liz
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved Bite but this sort-of-a-sequel was not as compelling, and I saw the plot twists coming from a long way off.
Rose
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 for this very entertaining read. Love seeing strong female characters and same sex relationships taken in stride. Hope it’s a series...
Sabrina Ewen
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Bite, but I absolutely DEVOURED Raid. I can't quite verbalize everything I adore about this book that hasn't already been said, but man, it was a fun read.
Doris Kissack
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great start. It grabs you right from the beginning. A page turner that's hard to put down. Bite was fantastic and Raid has got me hooked already. This writer has the talent for smooth flowing sentences that makes for Easy reading. Well the end is another beginning and I will be waiting for news of its release. Raid did not let me down and I was thrilled when Kid from Bite joined the storyline. Bravo K.S. Merbeth!
Becky Spratford
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review on blog and Booklist Online: http://raforall.blogspot.com/2017/11/... ...more
Andrew Bathgate
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was expecting this sequel to be as awesome as Bite, and K.S. Merbeth absolutely delivered! I can't decide if I wanna read Bite or Raid again. Maybe both simultaneously!

• Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • FKA USA
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Highfire
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • The Mercies
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 4
  • All-New Classic Captain Canuck #0
  • Criminal, Vol. 7: Wrong Time, Wrong Place
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Witches of St. Petersburg
  • How to Become a Hero
  • Sukeban Turbo
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 32: Rest In Peace

The Wastelanders (2 books)
  • Bite (Wastelanders #1)