Start by marking “Dare to Be Kind: How Extraordinary Compassion Can Transform Our World” as Want to Read:
Dare to Be Kind: How Extraordinary Compassion Can Transform Our World

Dare to Be Kind: How Extraordinary Compassion Can Transform Our World

"Sometimes we are met with overwhelming challenges that knock us off our feet-but [Lizzie has] been able to embody the power of hope and compassion in everything [she does]."
--Michelle Obama

Born with a rare genetic condition, Lizzie Velasquez always knew she was different, but it wasn't until she was older that she understood what that meant to herself and others.

In thi
Published June 6th 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Be Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Be Kind

Kelly
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The latest installment in "One librarian's struggle to read all the books she brought home from ALA Midwinter 2017." Hatchette was actually kind enough to send this one to me special delivery when they didn't have it at their booth and I knew I HAD to read it immediately. Dare to Be Kind is the deeply personal and inspirational look at Lizzie Velasquez's work as a motivational speaker and anti-bullying advocate. I would never have guessed just how grueling her schedule can be from the upbeat pos ...more
Brittany
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We just got the ARC for this in yesterday and I immediately started reading it - and since I worked last night and this morning and I still finished it today, that says something. Lizzie's story is powerful and she writes beautifully about the power of compassion. Lovely book!
Kristine
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Dare to Be Kind by Lizzie Velasquez is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late May.

Velasquez encourages bravery, hope, kindness, personal resilience, faith in a higher power, and a healthy self-image when confronting one's bullies. She also highlights the need to serve as a good example for one's family, understand a bully's desire to cover their own pain with more pain, finding love and support, and addresses the cruelty of human nature when it encounters situations that it doesn't understan
Cintia
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me clarify something. I never read nonfiction. I know some people love it and prefer it over any type of novel, short story, or whatever writing form you can think of, but I’m not one of them. I just need a good plot to keep me engaged and passing one page after another wanting to find the answers to an amazingly concocted story. Or at least, that’s what I expect every time I pick a new book. However, I had to make an exception with this one.

I’m a big fan of Lizzie Velasquez and I consider
Kristin Marie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I am quite conflicted on what I want to write about "Dare to Be Kind" by Lizzie Velasquez. I suppose I need to break this into two parts. Lizzie as a human, her story--from troubles to triumph--and her crusade to rid the world of bullies is a wonderful concept. Because of who she is, I gave her a few stars.

Why I couldn't give this book more than two:

The writing is atrocious. It is concerning when not just the author, but the coauthor/consultant/writing coach Catherine Avril Morris allowed this
Sharyn Berg
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, I mean, how can you not like Lizzie? However I felt that the writing was rather weak and repetitive and that it did not address, or live up to, the title of the book. I was looking for an entirely different book, one that would inspire kindness from me and maybe give me some ideas, instead of a study of Lizzie and her motivational speaking career. (She did address this at the end, though it appeared to be an afterthought to justify the title.) I wish her all th ...more
Nathalie
Lizzie Velasquez est une américaine qui aurait pu voir sa vie ruinée de bien des façons. Déjà, il faut savoir que son existence tout entière est déjà perturbée par des soucis de santé depuis sa naissance. Elle souffre d’un syndrome rare qui ne fut identifié qu’après de longues années et qui transforme son apparence physique puisqu’il l’empêche entre autre chose de stocker le moindre gras. Les moqueries et les regards furent lourds à porter dès son plus jeune âge (enfin depuis sa scolarisation ca ...more
Olivia Wildenstein
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book that will make you tear up more than once. 💕
Sunny
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I remember that video in Youtube but I didn't expect it that the writer of this book is her. Although I've learned some few things from Lizzie's story, I'm just a tiny bit disappointed, I thought it's motivational book.
Leah
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Lizzie is for sure an inspirational person. I just found the book to be repetitive and lackluster at times and this wasn't the style she was going for but I have a personal preference for more humorous memoirs.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no doubt that Ms. Velasquez knows more than her fair share about bullying, and dealing with chronic and serious illnesses, yet she finds a way to rise above her "issues" and become a beacon of kindness and positivity. What an inspiration she is!! And what a great reminder that we are all, in our imperfections, perfect, and can be of great use to this world, just as, or because of, how we are! Every life has value and Ms. Velasquez has done us all a favor by sharing hers with us.

Many tha
Marlee
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. It's not a genre I usually go for, but I was intrigued by Lizzie's story, and wanted to hear what she had to say.

Essentially: Love, compassion, and kindness -- to everyone, not only the people who we tend to think "deserve it," and to ourselves as much as anyone -- will change the world. I agree.
Natasha
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I must admit I am struggling to write a review.

On the one hand you have to admire her courage to show the world she is more than her condition. She does work very hard to try to eliminate bullying behaviour, and for that she has to be admired. I can only imagine one of her talks would be very inspiring.

Having said that, I have identified three things that I believe make this book a little harder to read:

1. The complete overuse of the exclamation point. Seems a trivial thing, I know, but wait unt
Alisa Bates
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is very inspirational! Until I received this book I had not heard of Lizzie Velasquez, and now I am a fan. Not only have I read this book, but I have also searched her online and watched some of her youtube videos. I found the book to have a lot of well-thought out advice. It was also filled with hope.I like the writing style found in this well-written book. I recommend this book to everyone.
Maria (Ian) Bautista
***Coming Soon***

P.S. I know that I have some coming soon reviews, but life is busy.
Courtney
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm sorry I'm only giving your book 3 stars, Lizzie! I usually have more issues with nonfiction than fiction. I really think you are an amazing and genuine person and I'm certainly a fan now. I'll try reading more of your books later.

Like some other people, I thought there was going to be a more mind-blowing "How to be truly kind" guide. Honestly, I watched "How Do YOU Define Yourself" right before I read this book, and if I watched a few more of your videos I'd probably get the whole gist of th
Adrienne
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely book! I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Lizzie Velasquez was born with a rare syndrome that has caused her to experience much bullying. I despise the phrasing of the video's title, but she came to fame when someone took a brief video of her without her permission, then uploaded it to Youtube, titled "The World's Ugliest Woman." She has seen the worst of humanity, and some of the best.

The book is a memoir that describes Lizzie's life with her syndrome, her anti-
Sophie-Leigh Thompson-Green
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow where do I even begin with this book? I'd heard of Lizzy before but never really engaged with her,until the last 24 ( more like 10) hours after a stressful 8 hour shift at work with horrible co workers who treat me like I'm weird because they are very cliquey horrible people. Seeing this book while looking for another book shined at me like a beacon and I knew I just had to get it, the first 40 pages had me tearing up while on a train going home for I identified with Lizzy so much with her e ...more
Beckie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. Life has been busy so it's a great book that you can read a chapter or two at a time and come back to it without forgetting important plot points. Every single chapter included an eye opening perspective on how we can all be kinder towards one another and/or ourselves in our every day lives. I've already found myself using some of her pointers and suggestions. A little kindness really does go a long way, not just towards other, but helps us feel good about our ...more
Rebecca
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this blind for our MDIHS Readers & Writers Blind Date Reading challenge at school. I can see some students/readers finding it valuable, but it was too shallow and poorly written to grab me. "I was so excited. . . . I was so depressed. . . . That made such a big difference in my life. . . " only gets a book so far (!!) before I get hungry for strong writing or vivid description. It was interesting to see the impact of social media on one woman's life, and I respect her for her use of ...more
Wiebke Kuhn
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
While there is no question that Velasquez' message is powerful and is echoed in other books that focus on resilience, being your own super hero, fighting bullying, I think the book could have benefited from some more careful editing. Maybe this is just a collection of edited blog posts, but even that is not an excuse.
BUT: the message is nevertheless powerful, especially when you can vividly imagine what kind of viciousness she must have overcome dealing with others. If you want to see more about
Colleen
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found the parts of this book that were more of a memoir to be somewhat enjoyable. But then there were parts of the book that seemed as though Lizzie was trying to write a self-help/educational book. Those parts I didn't enjoy as much. It just seemed as though she was out of her element or in over her head and it came across in the writing. By the last quarter of the book, I was skimming. I appreciate and respect what she was trying to do and the fact that she was so positive, honest, and vulne ...more
Amy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I was hoping this would a bit more autobiographical, as I think Velasquez is very interesting and I wanted to learn more about her. A lot of the stuff she includes in this book is probably the stuff she covers in her motivational speaking engagements. So, if you can't go see her, this is also good. I will rent her movie to fill in the gaps of what I didn't learn.
Her message is important to remember. It's so easy to lose it and not be as compassionate as we could be. Kindness matters.
Care Kelley
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Agghh.....I have to be totally honest. I didn't especially care for it. I love the title, I love what I thought it would be about, but, in the, in my humble opinion, it was just a long, drawn out commercial for the author's motivational speaking career. With some anecdotes about her dating life thrown in.
Diana
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh this book was so poorly written I couldn’t even finish it. I was excited to hear more about Lizzie’s journey and all the great work she has done, but instead I got a superficial middle school diary. Whoever edited her book should be fired for misguiding her voice so horrifically. I hope she learns from this and makes a better book because her work is important to our world.
Jo
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
In all honesty I am still a little undecided about this book. I mean I sort of enjoyed it and it had some really good points/advice however I found some of it very basic and brief/just wanting to write something. Overall it was an okay read I can really see the benefits for those who can relate to the situation.
Darci
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the message, Lizzie, her story, and so many of the little stories she told. All very inspiring. It was a quick read and made me think but in the end I was a little annoyed by the poor writing. It had so much potential for where it could have gone and I felt like it fell short of my expectations.
Wendy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I was initially put off the book by the writing. I know that makes me sound like a snob but good writing is important to me and this book is full of cliches. I kept reading nonetheless, and was rewarded by the heartfelt tone and, nearer to the end, some profound themes.

I believe the author has achieved what she set out to do, which is to write in a very conversational style.
Reffi Dhinar
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wipe my eyes in some parts, Lizzie's true story is not only inspiring but also so engaged me to believe in my strength, accepting my weakness as my uniqness, and how to say 'No' to the things that can make me tired. Dare to be kind is not only doing good to other human but how to treat ourselves as good as possible. Bullying other is bad, but bullying yourself is not a good action too.
Jenna Amundson
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you don't know Lizzie's story...well, get to know her. I think everyone should read this book. Simple, simple, simple advice and though sometimes difficult to implement, definitely a worth-while pursuit. I love the honesty and the truth in these pages.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book cover 2 16 Apr 27, 2017 03:14PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book cover 2 187 Apr 27, 2017 03:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book cover 2 14 Feb 07, 2017 07:43AM
The eldest of three children born to Rita and Guadalupe Velásquez.
Lizzie was born four weeks prematurely, her birth weight was only 2 pounds 11 ounces (1,219 grams).
Her age was reported as 23 in September 2012, a time when she was nearing graduation from Texas State University majoring in communication studies.
She is a Roman Catholic and she has spoken out in terms of her belief in God who has "
“We don’t have to allow ourselves to be defined by the labels imposed on us. We get to define ourselves.” 3 likes
“It is fine to be who you are. It is a good thing not to be just like everybody else. What makes you unique is what makes you beautiful, because it’s what makes you you. And the world needs you, exactly as you are. That’s the truth, plain and simple.” 3 likes