Start by marking “The Trouble” as Want to Read:
The Trouble

The Trouble

Published November 30th 2016 by Less Than Three Press (first published November 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble

Adriana
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

HI, THIS WAS THE BEST THING. AROS HAVING LASTING, FULFILLING RELATIONSHIPS IS *MY FAVORITE JAM*.
Emma
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I stumbled into this book because I was looking for some aro representation (btw, if you've got some recommendations send them my way) and then I was pleasantly surprised by the story. There were some clichés but other than that it was quite fun and entertaining. Danny's character was well described throughout the whole book, something that surprised me since it's quite a short novel. I also really appreciated the overall representation that can be found in the entire story, not only in the main ...more
Skye Kilaen
An entertaining new adult opposites attract / rock star story about the relationship between two Korean-American college students: Danny Kim, an exuberant aromantic singer poised to level up in his music career, and Jiyoon Lee, a serious accounting major. They meet when Danny insults Jiyoon's boyfriend as a way of hitting on him, resulting in a slap and a drink thrown in his face. (I could have lived without the slap.) It gets worse when Danny discovers Jiyoon is the TA for Danny's accounting cl ...more
Claudie Arseneault
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aromantic, lgbt
Came for the aromantic character and really enjoyed both the story as a whole and the representation. Sure, Danny is an asshole at times, but it was so refreshing to have a character stating his identity in clear, non-negotiable terms and build a deep relationship based on -everything else- they already had (trust, mutual respect, etc.)

The Trouble also has some of the CUTEST DOMESTIC SCENES YES. I am totally here for this. And it clearly shows that Danny's band and his friends are as important
Leo
He was aromantic, never had felt romantic attraction to anyone and never would. But physical, sure. And friendship- hell yes.

Actual rating: 3.5★

As someone who falls in the aro-ace spectrum (I’m demiromantic and asexual) this book felt like a fresh breath of air. I’ve read about asexual characters before but I was more than interested to read Danny’s story and how his relationship was going to be portrayed - and I was not disappointed.

Danny is the frontman of the indie punk rock band The Troubl
Shelby Eileen
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely incredible. Danny is definitely one of my favourite characters ever and he and Jiyoon’s relationship felt so soooo natural to me. The fact that this is a story with an aromantic character getting his happy ending just really means the world to me.
Rhode
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na
I was honestly charmed to hell & back by Danny. His dialogue was so spot on. Normally I can't stand people like that either, because I don't get how someone smart can be so dumb in school. Now having seen inside him, it makes more sense to me.

Fun, pretty quick book. Four living parents. Interesting bits of backstory on what it's like to be Korean-American as well as the differences between recent immigrant's kids vs others.

Danny is matter of fact about being aromantic, and while it's a plot
Cas
I feel like I just aged rapidly. Like there was no slow process to it. Some evil being just tried to preserve my youth with the temptation of good aromantic representation and instead aged me by decades in the span of a few hours. I am not at all a fine wine with a nice Gouda.

Which is to say that I feel like I just lost ten years of my life reading a lazy and underdeveloped kpop fanfic with unnecessarily detailed smut and I’m feeling extremely peeved over my waste of time.

So while the aromanti
Anita
Hmmm. Probably more of a 3.5 but bumped it up to a 4. Kudos to the author for her diverse characters!! Odd little engaging story about Danny Kim, a college senior and the lead for the band, the Trouble, and Jiyoon. Danny is sort of your typical college student/musician. Lives for his music and biding his time until he's a star. Danny meets Jiyoon at one of the band's concerts. Jiyoon is there with his boyfriend (who likes the band but Jiyoon doesn't) and Danny, attracted to Jiyoon, rather clumsi ...more
Janani
First published at: http://theshrinkette.com

Danny Kim, lead of a Seattle indie rock band called The Trouble, embarrasses himself by rudely hitting on a cute guy Jiyoon, who attends one of his band’s shows, only to find out that the guy is the TA of his Accounting class. However, events occur and soon a friendship is formed between Danny and Jiyoon.

I always lean towards realistic fiction over fantasy, and was delighted to find a contemporary fiction book featuring an aro character. The author di
*3.5 stars. Enjoyable story with great aromantic rep! Simple and cute; will definitely re-read some day.
Janelle Dazzlepants
This is a really solid new adult romance (or should I say aromance) centring an aromantic queer Asian man!

I really, really, really enjoyed this. The characters were interesting, and both Danny and Jiyoon felt like real, fleshed out people with their own distinct voices. Danny is a hot mess and Jiyoon is reserved and hyper organised, and I loved their opposites-attract dynamic.

Before I proceed, I’m gonna need to take a moment to scream about the wonderful aro representation here!!! Danny is *ne
Nicole Field
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
NetGalley Review

I honestly don't know why I waited so long getting to this one. I absolutely have no excuse. Now that I've finished it, I almost want to start it over again. I've never read a story with an (on page) aromantic character in it, and Daria Defore has made me wanna read many more in her self titled 'aromantic comedy' genre.

Danny Kim is the front man of an all Korean band called The Trouble, starting from the very brink of their big break. At one of their concerts, Danny is a complete douche, hitting
Noam
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
As an aromantic, I finish this novel feeling mostly confused, not by the book itself but my feeling towards it.

I tried at first to live my romantic identity aside and review this book 'objectively', but realized that's probably impossible but also a bit unfair, since I do tend to judge other books in relation to my aromanticism and views on romance in general.

I do have to give kudos to Defore for making her protagonist aromantic yet not asexual, this is so rare you can hardly even find fanfics
Sharon Tyler
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Trouble by Daria Defore is a contemporary romance. Danny Kim is the frontman of a Seattle indie rock band. He's also struggling to graduate from college. After rudely hitting on a cute guy at one of his concerts, he gets in even deeper trouble when the guy proves to be the TA of his accounting class. Though Jiyoon clearly would prefer never to see Danny again, a rough breakup brings then unexpectedly together and a tentative friendship forms. But Danny can barely keep his band afloat and pas ...more
Gillian
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

This was a fun little story. Lots of great representation here with a decent storyline and interesting characters. I think it could have been a bit tighter with maybe a touch more conflict for interest sake, but I found it an engaging read nevertheless.
Jessie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aro-spec
I really enjoyed this! Danny is sometimes a jerk but he cares so much about his friends and music, and he's a delight to read. I love his friendship with Sam and his relationships with the other members of The Trouble. And Jiyoon is super sweet. I appreciated the tutoring scenes a lot, both as part of how the relationship between Danny and Jiyoon grows and on their own. Danny's not lesser for having trouble with accounting, and Jiyoon doesn't think he is. (Jiyoon making him stop when Danny is cl ...more
Vehro Mantic
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Trouble was the first book I've read in over a year. It's also been sitting on a list of books-to-read saved in a note on my desktop for over a year. I can't say I've been the best reader lately. I can't even figure out how to sign in to my other account here anymore.

I'm glad I started here. The Trouble is a charming book. It's slightly underwritten in places, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it gave my brain a little space to play. I finished it quickly and was sad when it ended becau
Ari
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me incredibly emotional. Reading this, and seeing Danny being open about who he was and that he is aro meant the world to me-- as someone who is aro, I've never really seen myself represented in something, and even then, it's more speculative and the word "aromantic" is never used in the text. But here we have Danny, stating explicitly early on in the book that he's aro. I can't thank Daria Defore enough for this representation.
Hannah ✨
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, romance
Cute! 3.5 stars rounded up. I was interested to see how a romance book with an aromatic character would work. I still have some questions but I think I have a better sense, overall, of how you would need to navigate those particular boundaries.
Moonbook
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody should read it at least once in there lifetime
Eri
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scribd
This book was very cute.
Vendela
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite darling.
J.M. Cowan
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute a/romance. I wish more people would write this dynamic.
Emilie
Dec 15, 2018
Al
Jun 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - The Trouble by Daria Defore 16 36 Nov 30, 2016 02:21PM

• Long Macchiatos and Monsters
  • Prom Queen Perfect
  • How Not to Summon Your True Love
  • The Paths We Choose (Lillac Town #2)
  • Ge-Mi (Part One)
  • Acting on Impulse (Love on Cue, #1)
  • Dragon's Eye (Sumeria's Sons, #5)
  • Marriage of Unconvenience
  • Vision Quest
  • Dragon Magic
  • The Fairy Gift
  • A Hard Ride Home
Daria Defore has been writing ever since she was a kid, and vividly remembers that her first story was about getting a pet dinosaur from Santa Claus. Now she writes filthy romance instead.

Daria's books are about losers doing the best they can. Her style is conversational and funny, and her writing inspirations range from Agatha Christie to Ernest Hemingway. She brings a love of place to her storie