Start by marking “The Shepherd's Daughter (Dry Bayou Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd's Daughter (Dry Bayou Brides #1)

The Shepherd's Daughter

(Dry Bayou Brides #1)

"Welcome to Dry Bayou, Texas, where Southern Charm meets the Wild West..."

Ray MacAdams and Billy Ducharme have been best friends since her family moved to his ranch fourteen years ago to start a new sheep ranching operation.

Through thick and thin, good and bad, fire and rain, their friendship has only gotten stronger—so strong that nothing could possibly break their
Published September 27th 2016 by Dragonblade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Shepherd's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shepherd's Daughter

Start your review of The Shepherd's Daughter (Dry Bayou Brides #1)
Debra Reeves
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The shepherd's daughter

Was av great book to read. How a family moved to take care of sheep. Billy and Ray grow up together and are friends, but suddenly realized that they loved each other.
dorothy caridad
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy read

I loved this book because it kept me Turing pages and was short that with 5 kids I could read it and love it I can wait for more to come out
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Historically Romantic

A large part of the enjoyment I find in a longer multi-author series are the unknown to me authors and their series that I’ll discover along the way. I first encountered Ray and Billy in KATRIONA’S KEEPER from The Alphabet Mail Order Brides series. Meeting the citizens of Dry Bayou, Texas at that time was enough of an enticement to go and find that series. And I’m very glad that I did.

Billy and Ray had an instant bonding of friendship upon their first meeting as
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

This historical romance is a lovely story with two very strong characters who are best friends

Read full review in the 2017 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Vivian Rossi
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
oh what fun!

if your looking for a fun read here it is! I love their journey to forever! Great tale told...thanks Lynn Winchester I am looking for the next story...there has.to be Tillys tale
Charlene
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful start to a series!

Dry Bayou is a wonderful small town where everyone cares for each other. This is book 1 Ray and Billy have been best friends for 14 years. Can their friendship turn to love.
Anita Rohn
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ray

The feisty tomboy who figures out where her heart lies at the threat of losing her best friend a sweet story.
Lea & Sandra
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ray is beautiful

The character, Ray, is feisty and genuine. A real treat for 'bride ' book fans. Takes a bit for the hero to figure it out.
Wenk
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy and Ray

Cute story of young love realised after Billy's mother sends for a mail order bride for him he does not want. Ray hurts because she loves him. - Babs
Laura Meyer
Love is in the air.

Love is in the air, but who will end up at the alter? When well meaning parents invite a lovely woman to town to marry their son, what could possibly go wrong? Find out in "The Shepherd's Daughter".
Rozzie
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Out of my vast reading I have yet to read very many western romances. It’s not that I don’t like the genre I just don’t read that many or really have any in my kindle library but this one by Ms. Lynn Wynchester was well worth the read. I really did enjoy it and liked not only the sweet clean feel of the short story I am also a sucker for friends to lover romances too. Plus with a great book cover I really couldn’t resist reading this novella. There was still enough romance to satisfy me with ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Sweet western romance, perfect for an afternoon read! 5 stars

The Shepherd's Daughter, is a short and charming love story, written by new-to-me author Lynn Winchester. When you read a book by a new author, we never know what to expect! What a beautiful surprise! I really enjoyed her 1st story in the new series Dry Bayou Brides, and will surely watch her next stories!

The Shepherd's Daughter, tells the story of Raychelle, a young woman with a “boyish” touch and Billy, the ranch owner’s son! Ray
Tammy Gardner
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-romance
Lynn Winchester is a new author to me, but after reading The Sherperd's Daughter, I am an instant fan and look forward to her current and future books to come. The next book I am reading is book 2 called, The Seamstress. I would love to see this book come to the big screen. She has an amazing ability to describe her characters and emotions. I felt I was right there watching the story unfold. Ray and Willem, have been best friends for about 14 years, and Willem's parents have ordered him a mail ...more
Wendy
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down till I finished! Was such a sweet western romance, which normally isn't my thing, but there I was, flipping the pages till the very end. I loved how the story unfolded from a child's first meeting with a hired hands daughter to them growing up/present day. I loved ray's character and her sweetness, the total honesty she possesses. And Billy, well let's just say that thank goodness his character was laid out to be such a good man, lol. I liked how ...more
Joetta Spurling
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
5 stars
I'm an independent reviewer for Romance Authors That Rock.
What a find. I enjoyed this little jem of a story. Here we have best friends growing up in the mid 1800's. Billy's the ranch owners son. Tilly is the shepherds daughter. Billy's parents have ordered him a mail-order bride without his knowledge. Billy is not ready to get married but with Rebecca around he's starting to look at Tilly differently. She's his best friend but can she be more? Does she think of him like that? And why has
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Sweet, western romance quickie. Take that lunch break and enjoy a romance that will take you back to the days of southern charm and western culture on the Texas countryside in Dry Bayou.

Ray was this super sweet, intelligent, well rounded young lady that felt she could not have the man she wanted because she was just a simple shepherd’s daughter. She had nothing to offer the man she loved over the beauty that arrived as his mail ordered bride. But she did love him and have cultivated a
Hart's Reader Group
I don't typically read and review western romances--well, sweet ones, anyway--but I was glad I picked up this one.

I was caught by the first page, and the characters kept me sucked in. I LOVED Ray, she was so much fun, and it was so refreshing to read a heroine who thinks so realistically.

I loved Billy and how wonderful he was, and I think his loyalty to Ray was one of the things I liked most about him.

The friendship to love relationship between Billy and Ray was so much fun to watch unfold,
Kimberly
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book by the author for an honest review.

I loved Ray and Billy story. Ray was an out going person with a heart of gold. But she really let anybody in except her best friends Billy and Tille . I loved how they slowly begin to care for one another more then friends. Then his mail order bride shows up and changes everything. There was a lot twist and turns in this book. I Laugh and cried through out the story. I was truly happy how things turned out for them. I cant wait to read the
Mary
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just so wonderful!!!! I read it in one sitting because I just could not put it down. This story is about Billy and Ray - who is a girl-who met when Ray's parents came to help on Billy's parents ranch. Billy's parent decides to send for a mail order bride for him without his knowledge. Of course this just breaks Ray's heart. You will love Ray and Billy's trip to a HEA.
Jackson D'Lynne
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, romantic read....

Love this story! Short but sweet. Well written, funny, adorable--all good things. Will definitely read Tilly's book to see what happens with her and Hank Bartlett.
Gail
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice coming of age story between two people that start out being childhood friends. Several twists that I didn't expect and enjoyed. I loved the time era. Well worth the time to read.
Vera mallard
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STORY-LINE THE SHEPHERD'S DAUGHTER:

The Shepherd's Daughter's, a clean sweet romance, takes place in 1800's Dry Bayou, Texas. Willem Ducharme aka Billy and Raychelle, aka Ray, have been friends since they were small children. Ray's family came to Texas to manage the Ducharme sheep enterprise. Thick as thieves, they are seldom apart. As time passes, Ray realizes her feelings turn into adult love for her best friend. Then her world falls apart. The Ducharmes have ordered Billy a bride from back
M.
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ray and Billy have been friends from the very first moment they clapped eyes on each other. But exactly when they begin to discover there could be more to their relationship, a mail-order bride shows up at the ranch: a 'service' from Billy's all-too-concerned parents.

This book is the first in the series 'Dry Bayou Brides' by Lynn Winchester. It is a sweet, romantic story - albeit a bit too short for me, it being a novella. However, the stortyline was well-developed, and a somewhat more
Rocky
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ray and Billy

Billy is the son of a rancher; Ray is the daughter of a shepherd who has come to work for Billy's father, who has decided to add sheep to his holdings. Through the 14 years that Ray and Billy have known each other they've become the very best of friends. Then one day everything comes crashing down when Ray overhears Billy's ma telling him that his father has sent away for a mail order bride for Billy. Rebecca is beautiful and Ray doesn't know how she'll compete with her for Billy's
Penny Friday-Baker
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet young love story

Billy and Raychelle have known each other since they were 7 and 5, respectively. Then after they became adults they started looming at one another differently. I think his parents sent for a mail order bride so they would wake up to their feelings. Good characters, fine story. A little on the YA side. There are some typos. This is book one. Have already read book 3, will read book 2 as well.
Kelly Cottrill
Refreshingly different storyline.

I gave this book 5 stars because it had a storyline so different from common mail-order bride books. The story caught you from the first page & kept me turning the pages way past my bedtime. The characters are so well portrayed I feel like they are old friends. I can't wait to move on to the next book.
Teri
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dry Bayou feels like home...

Really enjoyed Billy & Ray's story (although I don't think Raychelle is too uppity!) and meeting the players in Dry Bayou. Loved the diversity in the little Texas town, from Scottish to French to Cajun. It was great that they were inseparable as youngsters & grew up to find lasting love. Sweet & affectionate, and can't wait for the next story!
Peggy Clayton
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book one in the Dry Bayou Brides and this western series by Lynn Winchester I just love. The cover on the book is just beautiful and the story is so good I read this in one sitting and wanted several more of hers to read. Lynn has discovered her way of writing and I am a fan. Lynn hit this one way out beyond the stadium where they tie the horses up!
Sandra Norris
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The shepherds daughter,Lynn winchester

I liked this book the tangled lives of Rey,billy and Rebecca coming as a mail order bride was interesting enough but could billy,s dad have had a hand in getting billy and ray together? Thank you for writing an interesting book.
Glaidene Ramsey
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Historical Western Romance

My first time reading a book written by Lynn Winchester receives 5 star's. This story is lots of fun and is about first love fulfilled. I enjoyed this book and hope you will too!!!!!
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Change Book Info 5 22 Sep 10, 2016 09:33PM

• Fae's Fantasy (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #6)
  • Jessamine's Journal (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #10)
  • An Agent for Lucy (The Pinkerton Matchmaker, #1)
  • Imogene's Ingenuity (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #9)
  • An Agent for Carolina (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #24)
  • Wendi's Wish (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #23)
  • Olivia's Obligation (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #15)
  • Where the Snowy Owl Sleeps (Brides of Blessings #9)
  • Sweeten The Swindler (Brides of Blessings #5)
  • Yetta's Yearning (The Alphabet Mail-Order Brides, #24)
  • Bounty Beyond Reason (Brides of Blessings #7)
  • Nursing the Newcomer (Cowboys and Angels Book 47)
  • An Agent for Josie (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #31)
  • An Agent for Penelope (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #38)
  • An Agent for Frances (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #41)
  • An Agent for Esme (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #40)
  • An Agent for Cari (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #39)
  • Lucky in Love (Cowboys and Angels, #2)
Lynn Winchester is the pseudonym of a hardworking California-born conservative, now living in the wilds of Northeast Pennsylvania. Lynn has been writing fiction since the 5th grade, and enjoys creating worlds, characters, and stories for her readers.

Lynn writes charming, romantic romance that focuses on the growth of the relationship and the power of true love. Lynn's historical western Dry Bayou

Dry Bayou Brides (7 books)
  • The Seamstress (Dry Bayou Brides Book #2)
  • The Widow (Dry Bayou Brides #3)
  • The Rogue's Bride (Dry Bayou Brides Book 4)
  • The Rake's Bride (Dry Bayou Brides Book 5)
  • The Gentleman's Heart (Dry Bayou Brides #6)
  • The Gambler's Prize (Dry Bayou Brides Book 7)