Start by marking “Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life” as Want to Read:
Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life

Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Mozart's honesty, his awareness of his own genius and his contempt for authority all shine out from these letters."—Sunday Times  (London). " In Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life, Robert Spaethling presents "Mozart in all the rawness of his driving energies" (Spectator), preserved in the "zany, often angry effervescence" of his writing (Observer). Where other translators ha ...more
Published December 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton Company (first published August 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life

Rachel
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to any book on Mozart I can be quite skeptical although I can't say that I'm an expert on ANYTHING. I am this way when it comes to finding the perfect opera recording as well.....and so on and so forth....But I can honestly say that i couldn't be happier with this translation. It almost reads like an autobiography. The annotations, commentaries and introductions are convienient as well.

An ABSOLUTE must read for Mozart fans!
Lara Marshall
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Invaluable read. Amazing. Beautiful and accurate word for word translations. Excellent notes. It feels almost wrong reading someone else's mail, but I feel like now I know Mozart as if I had known him in person.
Jessica May
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book giving an incredible insight into Mozart's life. He was witty, cheeky and his genius shows no end. Endlessly desperate to please his father, many of the letters show their conversation. I very very much enjoyed this.
Roberto
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book which has a subject that attracts me, but probably would never buy by myself. Luckily I received it as a gift, and what a wonderful read it was.

As an admirer of Mozart’s music and so far of being an expert on the matter, I read a couple of short biographies in the past. On the other side, I have never have experienced any long epistolary account. I always felt that letters did present a deviated version of the facts, almost with an advertising halo over themselves by def
Chris
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the man was simply a genius. I have been interested in his life ever since watching the wondeful film 'Amadeus'

I bought this book on the recommendation of my wife who said Mozart used to write some outrageous funny things in his letters and they were worth reading.

Admitedly some of Mozarts letters do contain some funny passages but by and large the letters are boring. They contain the sort of content anyone would write in a letter to ones family, what
Tom Bouwman
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The perfect way to get started". By reading Mozart's letters in chronological order the reader not only learns about the big and small events in Mozart's life, but also gets a unique insight into the composers personality. Verry informative and an aboslute trhill to read.
Mayuri
Jun 28, 2007 marked it as to-read
...apparently he was quite funny!
Sofia Ahmad
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A marvellous book
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
I'd like to know Mozart wrote besides music. I think we would have been fabulous friends had I been alive back then.
Eleanor
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so much fun ... Mozart's letters to his sister
are outrageous.
  • The Great Pianists
  • Beethoven: The Universal Composer
  • Johannes Brahms: A Biography
  • The Memoirs
  • An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, Alias Pvt. Lyons Wakeman, 153rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791) was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. He composed over six hundred works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers.

Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood in Salzburg. Already competent on keyb
More about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Things I've Been Silent About
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“They probably think because I am so small and young, nothing of greatness and class can come out of me; but they shall soon find out.” 1 likes
“It is, of course, a money marriage, nothing more. I wouldn't want to enter into this kind of marriage. I wish to make my wife happy and not make my happiness through her.” 1 likes